Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Doggles posted:

General Bullshit › Coronavirus 2021: Exit Through the Gift Shop

I think you'll find the medically correct title is Exitus Through the Gift Shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Exeunt omnes.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Zugzwang posted:

I don't know what else you call "putting patients in the gift shop"

Oh I would absolutely call putting people in the gift shop and having ambulances queue up outside hospitals pretty close enough!

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Greggster posted:

Oh I would absolutely call putting people in the gift shop and having ambulances queue up outside hospitals pretty close enough!

People waiting in the back of ambulances for 8 hours or getting shoved into beds in the gift shop are the lucky ones, it turns out.

https://twitter.com/Cbae62/status/1344141516294348801
https://twitter.com/BarfieldLaRue/status/1344526511932522498

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Just got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine. Thank god I work at a hospital. Even then, getting access was really hard. I wish my parents could get it first.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t feel like we’re prepared for the long term consequences of everyone getting this virus

https://twitter.com/edgeofsports/status/1344646815870816256?s=21

That’s just one school’s athletes

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t feel like we’re prepared for the long term consequences of everyone getting this virus

https://twitter.com/edgeofsports/status/1344646815870816256?s=21

That’s just one school’s athletes

Yep, along with the damage to gums and teeth, hearts, lungs, kidneys, and likely a li'l dab of brain damage, this is gonna be a pandemic we won't stop hearing about until all the survivors croak of old age.

Or until we nuke ourselves to death. Or climate change ourselves into the ground.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mithaldu posted:

Nightlydrugs is a good poster and she doesn't deserve living in such a poo poo state.

https://twitter.com/NightlyDrugs/status/1344457882172076032

Secondary and tertiary healthcare workers are a hive of misguided medical advice. They know just enough to believe that they are as smart as doctors and are more than willing to share their advice.

The EMT I know has a class F driver's license and various first aid courses (same medical training as most school bus drivers in my province). That's all he needs to know that the Vaccine is bad, and recommend that nobody gets it.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Oi57fqdU0

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Blistex posted:

Secondary and tertiary healthcare workers are a hive of misguided medical advice. They know just enough to believe that they are as smart as doctors and are more than willing to share their advice.

A friend works at a gastro clinic and one of their doctors with 15 years of experience likes to talk about how the numbers are being overblown and Covid barely qualifies as a pandemic to co-workers pretty openly.

Brain worms don't discriminate just because you got a piece of paper

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Mithaldu posted:

Nightlydrugs is a good poster and she doesn't deserve living in such a poo poo state.

https://twitter.com/NightlyDrugs/status/1344457882172076032

My mother in law in Florida works (worked?) in a nursing home and is over 70, she was supposed to get the vaccine this week. She quit her job instead and is looking for restaurant jobs that don't require the vaccine, because "the vaccine will kill me." She told my husband that on a call on Christmas.

She's been woo crunchy for years and my father in law is deep in Qanon poo poo from the beginning.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

rotinaj posted:

Yep, along with the damage to gums and teeth, hearts, lungs, kidneys, and likely a li'l dab of brain damage, this is gonna be a pandemic we won't stop hearing about until all the survivors croak of old age.

Or until we nuke ourselves to death. Or climate change ourselves into the ground.
Aaand the people denying the obvious effects of the virus now will almost certainly be denying the non-obvious effects of it later.

:tif:

So, is it common for healthcare places to not require vaccinations? Or is this wildly variable depending on the location? I was required to have my vaccinations up to date just to be a university student. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Whooping Crabs posted:

Just got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine. Thank god I work at a hospital. Even then, getting access was really hard. I wish my parents could get it first.

I would love to hear if you have any wonkiness from it as this is the one I'm gunning for and I really want to hear experiences.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Plastik posted:

A friend works at a gastro clinic and one of their doctors with 15 years of experience likes to talk about how the numbers are being overblown and Covid barely qualifies as a pandemic to co-workers pretty openly.

Absolutely. Just trying to explain why nurses are such a treasure trove of Chud-think with regards to the vaccine. Also having a piece of paper is enough reasoning for medical professionals to think they're experts at everything.

Example: https://generalaviationnews.com/2017/03/29/the-doctor-killer/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Plastik posted:

It’s unironically on the lower end of the pandemic scale.

That is not a comforting thought. If we can’t get our poo poo together against a relative lightweight, how will we handle something much worse?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Plastik posted:

I got a ticket in a small town for doing 91 in a 55 (which is total bullshit, I drive a van. they don't go uphill that fast and he clocked me at the top of a hill) and managed to get out of it. When I went to the little driver's education thing (Alive at 25) because hey, it lowers your insurance bill and why not, the person putting it on was a nurse in an ER. She didn't have a mask. neither did the guy who was also there with me who was mandated to show up. they'd both had covid already. the nurse said it wasn't any big deal and that I was ridiculous for wanting to be away from them both and wearing a mask, but she said I was legally allowed to.

She did circuits of the room and always made sure to get within a few inches of me when she did so. I kept moving away from her. It was kinda neat to spend four hours playing musical chairs while she coughed into her hands and handed us stuff (I did not touch the stuff).

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zugzwang posted:

So, is it common for healthcare places to not require vaccinations? Or is this wildly variable depending on the location? I was required to have my vaccinations up to date just to be a university student. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They are having this big crisis in healthcare places by not being able to demand all employees are vaccinated while wanting everybody to get vaccinated. From what Ive been hearing from my mom about her workplace, most of them are all iffy about getting the vaccines because of possible side effects. The company she works for wants everyone to get the jab, but dont want to say that anyone who doesn't get it will get in trouble.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I would love to hear if you have any wonkiness from it as this is the one I'm gunning for and I really want to hear experiences.

Mine was done on Tuesday and I'm a bit achy but that's all. So far, anyway.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

look at studies not at anecdotes

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

rotinaj posted:

most of them are all iffy about getting the vaccines because of possible side effects

Ah yeah, unlike getting COVID which has no known short or long term effects. Makes perfect sense.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Looking to buy a half-facepiece respirator and some filters, can any of y'all recommend a respirator with source control? I keep finding valved models and I'm trying to not blow my own germs everywhere. TIA

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
msa safety advantage 290 or just cover valve up

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Blistex posted:

The EMT I know has a class F driver's license and various first aid courses (same medical training as most school bus drivers in my province). That's all he needs to know that the Vaccine is bad, and recommend that nobody gets it.

...Or they are the exact opposite and believe only the certain subset of healthcare bureaucrats who are lying their rear end off to stave off the defrauding the government charges, like ours did when they blatantly told until the end of July that "the masks might not work against COVID-19 so general public should not use them at all" (because we hosed hardcore and will run out if public starts to wear them, because our preparedness vaults are full of junk and expired masks). Our vaults more or less had 2 billion Halloween masks, because the department responsible for acquisitions did not care or understand what it was supposed to do. So the public was told to go without masks, because they do not work. Everywhere else they do work, but not here because we just said so and we are the government.

Granted, this is much more uncommon and unlikely scenario, but our country still managed to do that. And nobody from the dept. of public health and safety got poo poo canned because of it, because by now its full of political appointments instead of healthcare, rescue service, engineering and armed service professionals.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Zugzwang posted:

At the hospital I work at the covid vaccine is "strongly recommended" but not mandatory. The flu vaccine is mandatory unless you have a medical exemption. When I was hired I had to get a titer test for MMR and chicken pox. I think the covid vaccine isn't mandatory like the flu vaccine because it is under EUA by the FDA (and tons of staff would quit). I got a pfizer vaccine last week as a non clinical employee. It took less than two weeks for all front line clinical staff who wanted it to get it so at least half probably declined.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

how should our governor respond to this and a new strain popping up in the state?

By requesting all red counties be upgraded to orange to "help business" in the state.

Very excited to find out whether people can get two strains of Covid at the same time.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Winnie the poo poo posted:

At the hospital I work at the covid vaccine is "strongly recommended" but not mandatory. The flu vaccine is mandatory unless you have a medical exemption. When I was hired I had to get a titer test for MMR and chicken pox. I think the covid vaccine isn't mandatory like the flu vaccine because it is under EUA by the FDA (and tons of staff would quit). I got a pfizer vaccine last week as a non clinical employee. It took less than two weeks for all front line clinical staff who wanted it to get it so at least half probably declined.
I gotta say, half of clinical staff declining the vaccine is pretty drat depressing. It's one thing for average folks to deny the situation since they don't see what's going on at hospitals, but clinical workers not wanting the vaccine is quite :negative:

boo_radley posted:

Very excited to find out whether people can get two strains of Covid at the same time.
Coinfection with multiple respiratory pathogens is definitely a thing, and more common than you'd think, including with SARS-CoV-2 + something else. If someone gets exposed to two different strains before there's enough of an immune response to block the second strain, I'd bet a multi-strain infection is possible. And hell, many of the people getting it at this point are voluntarily attending superspreader events and are probably getting exposed to multiple positive folks in a short period of time, so.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I think the covid vaccine isn't mandatory like the flu vaccine because it is under EUA by the FDA

What’s the plan for full approval, by the way?

The control group will likely evaporate within the next year, so that puts a soft bound on study period.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Zugzwang posted:

Aaand the people denying the obvious effects of the virus now will almost certainly be denying the non-obvious effects of it later.
:tif:

ill probably get a lot of poo poo for this but - many 'healthcare' professions pay dog poo poo level wages, and so they don't attract top level individuals.

especially anything that involves elder care, like nursing homes, are extremely tough jobs that combine all the terrible working conditions you can think of (24 hour staffing with crazy shifts, insane patients, insane management, threadbare staffing, the patients you do care about die, ect.) so the people that stay in those jobs are often people who have no other options. i know someone who stopped working at a nursing home by 'upgrading' to work at a prison, which they say is less traumatizing than the nursing home lol

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 31, 2020

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

ill probably get a lot of poo poo for this but - many 'healthcare' professions pay dog poo poo level wages, and so they don't attract top level individuals.

especially anything that involves elder care, like nursing homes, are extremely tough jobs that combine terrible all the working conditions (24 hour staffing with crazy shifts, insane patients, insane management, threadbare staffing, ect.) so the people that stay in those jobs are often people who have no other options. i know someone who stopped working at a nursing home by 'upgrading' to work at a prison, which they say is less traumatizing than the nursing home lol

I do not think that this is unfair assessment, although healthcare and rescue services in general, also law enforcement in countries which do have high standards and national-level mandatory programs for these jobs, definitely requires a passion and calling to do that line of work.

Its tedious, mostly boring daily routines which at times turn horrible experiences. Not to mention that they have strict hierarchies where it is too easy to get permanently stuck with an assignment which was way below of what you wanted.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Same experience here. When our hospital got the vaccine, only front-line healthcare workers were eligible to get it. Depending on remaining inventory after that, everyone else who was not front-line, but still worked at the hospital, was eligible for it. And finally after that, work-from-home employees were eligible if there was enough supply left over.

Our hospital got the vaccine on the 13th. As a work-from-home computer toucher my eligibility opened up only 10 days later since so many employees who have direct contact with patients either didn't want the vaccine or didn't bother to schedule it. I got my first dose of it earlier this week and I already have my follow-up dose scheduled next month.

Zugzwang posted:

I gotta say, half of clinical staff declining the vaccine is pretty drat depressing. It's one thing for average folks to deny the situation since they don't see what's going on at hospitals, but clinical workers not wanting the vaccine is quite :negative:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Captain Beans posted:

especially anything that involves elder care, like nursing homes, are extremely tough jobs that combine all the terrible working conditions you can think of (24 hour staffing with crazy shifts, insane patients, insane management, threadbare staffing, the patients you do care about die, ect.) so the people that stay in those jobs are often people who have no other options. i know someone who stopped working at a nursing home by 'upgrading' to work at a prison, which they say is less traumatizing than the nursing home lol
I can't speak to the average quality of individuals, but yeah both my parents are nurses so I'm well aware of how poo poo the working conditions/management/etc. often are. I've also had to deal with relatives in the hospital/various medical facilities who pressed the "call the nurse" button every few minutes for any small thing and wondered why staff didn't rush in to help when it was actually urgent.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 31, 2020

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I got the vaccine on 12/23 and was pretty heavily exposed on 12/27 and 28th to someone who has since tested positive. Currently quarantining with no symptoms yet. My understanding is that vaccine effectiveness isn't great until a couple weeks after, so I'm not very hopeful.

I would say about half of the staff at my work declined the vaccine. I think a lot of people are still in the "wait and see" mindset (as stupid as that is), as opposed to "never gonna take it". I don't really see much problem with that yet because the demand is still way higher than the supply. The real question will be if those people decide to change their mind months down the road.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My mom works in a hospital but not in a direct role (administrative), and she got the shot yesterday. No idea when I’ll get it here but gently caress, that alone is good enough news.

I’ve been forcing myself to not be terrified for her as my sister and I live thousands of miles in opposite directions, and if she got it, who can take care of her? But this feels like a slight weight removed, or at least just a string of hope.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
A note I just received from my apartment complex.

Perhaps y'all could NOT walk through all 240 apartments full of people right now??? They do this poo poo randomly so they can look for infractions to charge people money for, so of course they won't cancel or reschedule this. I'm strongly considering calling and saying I've been exposed the day before, so they don't come through my apartment covered in germs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Perhaps y'all could NOT walk through all 240 apartments full of people right now??? They do this poo poo randomly so they can look for infractions to charge people money for, so of course they won't cancel or reschedule this. I'm strongly considering calling and saying I've been exposed the day before, so they don't come through my apartment covered in germs.

Check your states laws. Even in libertarian hellscape of Arizona this is NOT permitted, even with advance notice.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

-Misspellings
-Comic Sans

Just wonderful

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Our place did the same thing a few months ago. We called them and after some back and forth they agreed to only have ONE person instead of the three that it normally is come through and they'll make sure they wear a mask and booties. When the day came for the inspection the maintenance guy just knocked on our door and gave me some batteries and said "yeah we don't need to come in just change the batteries in your smoke detectors" and that was it. It definitely feels like a monumentally stupid thing to do during a pandemic.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FlamingLiberal posted:

-Misspellings
-Comic Sans

Just wonderful
”mandatory”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

canyoneer posted:

Check your states laws. Even in libertarian hellscape of Arizona this is NOT permitted, even with advance notice.

I live in Texas and landlords absolutely have the right to come in and flip you off or whatever whenever they want. I still might call them and try to talk them out of it.