Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
God I wish I had the palette to experience drinks like you and others can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Goddamn I just missed out on a really cool sounding New Riff bottle. New Riff "Maltster" Malted Wheat Bottled in Bond Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. 5 years of age, mashbill of 65% corn, 18% "Bohemian floor-malted wheat," 10% unmalted wheat, and 7% dark wheat. 100 proof (BiB), non-chillfiltered.

Popped up on K&L at some point today and was already sold out by the time I saw it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The only Glenmorangie I've had in recent memory was the 18 which was fine but also disappointing for the $100 sale price.

The 10 yr Original ($43) is straightforward and competent and a decent value.

The 12 yr sherry cask Lasanta ($50) has very weak sherry notes and is far inferior to the Macallan 12 sherry oak.

The 14 yr port cask Quinta Ruban ($60) drinks noticeably hotter but still friendly. Still not compelling.

The sauternes cask Nectar D'or ($74) is the smoothest of the bunch, but at $75 there are more interesting options.

Overall I was disappointed and wouldn't buy any of them, especially with Highland Park 12 available at $60.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Wow I’m surprised to read that! Quinta ruban is one of my favourite tipples at the lower end.
Feels chewy and lingers for ages. Almost like a dessert wine.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

Wow I’m surprised to read that! Quinta ruban is one of my favourite tipples at the lower end.
Feels chewy and lingers for ages. Almost like a dessert wine.
Because I can't help myself, I tried the Quinta Ruban and Nectar D'or again. I'm still not a fan, maybe something is wrong with me. :(

My palette is calibrated to figure out cocktail ingredients so maybe I don't appreciate the subtleties of non-Islay Scotch.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Josh Lyman posted:

The sauternes cask Nectar D'or ($74) is the smoothest of the bunch, but at $75 there are more interesting options.

Well which is it Josh? $74 or $75? How can we trust anything else you say it you can't stick to a story?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Because I can't help myself, I tried the Quinta Ruban and Nectar D'or again. I'm still not a fan, maybe something is wrong with me. :(

My palette is calibrated to figure out cocktail ingredients so maybe I don't appreciate the subtleties of non-Islay Scotch.

I think I just like anything sweet because i am a child

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I usually love port cask finishes over other wine finishes (I've probably killed as many bottles of HW MWND as I have Eagle Rare) so I'm biased towards Quinta Ruban vs other Glenmo releases. Plus the 14 year age statement still at $50-60 is one of the better deals in scotch these days

Btw they also had a release called Midwinter Nights Dram that came out around the same time as High West's 3rd release

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Paul Proteus posted:

Speaking of fancy scotch, anyone have any experience with Glenfarclas 25? It's near me for $160.

I've had the 23 and enjoyed it, as I'm a fan of sherried speysides, but can't say I love super woody flavors (like old bourbon can get). Not sure if these are relevant here, or if it's even that different from the 23.

It is featured in an episode of frasier so that's cool. I like the 12 year alot idk if you're getting that much more for the price

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

After seeing ADHD Whiskey fall in love with a Four Roses Single Barrel during his advent calendar, I bought a bottle to compare to the Small Batch but my Single Barrel (PS 88-1E) was... disappointing? That's just as well since the Small Batch is cheaper, but I was really hoping for something special.
I revisited FRSB vs FRSiB and I think I may prefer the SiB now. The SB is sweeter but the SiB has more spice.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Can I just say that I loving hate all the abbreviations and acronyms and poo poo surrounding bourbon :argh:

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Casu Marzu posted:

Can I just say that I loving hate all the abbreviations and acronyms and poo poo surrounding bourbon :argh:

Yeah I am totally with you. You could update the glossary in the first post:

Bourbon acronyms:
EC = Elijah Craig
EW = Evan Williams
WT = Wild Turkey
OGD = Old Grand-Dad
4R = Four Roses
Beam = Jim Beam (not an acronym)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Goddamn I just missed out on a really cool sounding New Riff bottle. New Riff "Maltster" Malted Wheat Bottled in Bond Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. 5 years of age, mashbill of 65% corn, 18% "Bohemian floor-malted wheat," 10% unmalted wheat, and 7% dark wheat. 100 proof (BiB), non-chillfiltered.

Popped up on K&L at some point today and was already sold out by the time I saw it.

This thing mysteriously came back into stock so I snagged a bottle. Hopefully it's worth it!

Presently a few more still available on the K&L website if any CA goons are interested.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I got to sample some of this year’s Crown Royal Noble Collection yesterday(got my dad a bottle for Christmas). I didn’t take good notes or anything, but I can say that it was very enjoyable. This year’s release is a 16 year rye, which caught my eye because it’s just not very common to see rye that old, especially at the price point of $70.

I can’t speak on the nose much, because I was drinking out of an old fashioned glass, and I just never get anything nosing out of those.

Palate was good, kind of like a sweet herbal-ness, maybe slightly minty, no dill, which can kill a drink for me because I just hate dill. The finish though, VERY sweet. Was like a sweet bourbon finish almost, I saw someone else’s notes mention bubble gum and it isn’t that far off. Dangerously easy to drink at 90 proof, but didn’t feel thin.

Overall I really enjoyed it, I’d say give it a shot if you like sweeter whiskies.

As a side note, I got my dad a new set of old fashioned glasses too, my Facebook feed was splattered with ads from ‘Cornet of Barcelona’ glassware. I must say, they are beautiful glasses.

https://www.cornetbarcelona.com/collections/other-glasses/products/sagrada-whiskey-glasses

I’m tempted to pickup the decanter or the brandy glasses once they are in stock. Wish they sold a glencairn style glass!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ADHD Whiskey, the world's top whiskey taster, bought his first bottle of Scotch, Ardbeg Wee Beastie (which I haven't had but I hear is meh) and his reaction is AMAAAZING:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExMjfJ55fzs&t=9230s
If the timecode doesn't work, start at 2 hr 33 min 50 sec.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 3, 2021

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's great, I was hoping he'd get into scotch because he's very entertaining but the majority of the things he reviews I can't get my hands on so it's a bit moot.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

How does one become the world’s top whiskey taster without having bought a bottle of scotch?

Ardbeg Wee Beastie is my second favorite scotch after Uigeadail, and it’s like half the price.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Enigma posted:

How does one become the world’s top whiskey taster without having bought a bottle of scotch?
Americans think bourbon is the end all be all.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Josh Lyman posted:

Americans think bourbon is the end all be all.

Oh so it’s like the World Series

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bourbon & Rye is pretty good, I absolutely love Irish Pot Still whiskey, Japan and other countries make some killer stuff, but there is no denying the vast diversity and quality of Scotch whisky. It's not even close. Like I said I like all kinds of whisk(e)y but if you'd put a gun on my head and made me choose I wouldn't hesitate a second.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I cannot believe someone so respected in a small niche group acknowledged as the best bourbon taster never had Scotch before. Has he never been to a bar before? Never gotten a gift from a best friend? I have a really difficult time thinking he was born in his 30s liking bourbon and never trying it’s ancestors. My absolute favorite drink is Scotch, but if a nice lady wants me to try a Lemon Drop or do shots of Tequila, it’s all great. Having experience in a super wide variety of alcohol all around the world (including prison wine made in a toilet), even if I started with bourbon first I would have tried Scotch in my teens just because Wild Turkey is cheaper than Johnny Walker Black!

I really feel bad for a person I don’t even know. Think I’ll fix a Scotch & Soda as a nite cap and commiserate with my Dad.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So I've been thinking more and more about my Macallan 12 Sherry Oak. I like it but it also seems a bit unsophisticated. I would almost liken it to Bulleit Rye in the sense that you get a nice punch of what you're looking for but there's no complexity and it goes away quickly. That said, for <$70 it might be the best option for a sherry oak?

On an unrelated note, Ardbeg Corryvreckan is on sale for $80 at ABC this month. I've never had it but I feel like I should get it to join my Ardbeg 10 and Uigeadail.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Bourbon & Rye is pretty good, I absolutely love Irish Pot Still whiskey, Japan and other countries make some killer stuff, but there is no denying the vast diversity and quality of Scotch whisky. It's not even close. Like I said I like all kinds of whisk(e)y but if you'd put a gun on my head and made me choose I wouldn't hesitate a second.
Part of me wonders if this comes from Americans thinking bourbon = whiskey. I had a work colleague who said "Of all the brown liquors I prefer bourbon" except it seemed they were actually talking about whiskey and just using "bourbon" as a synonym.

That's what bothers me most about Bourbon Junkies and It's Bourbon Night. My guess is they had a proclivity toward bourbon when they started but why would you artificially limit yourself like that? Especially since Dan of Boubon Junkies has admitted that he mostly drinks Scotch off camera these days.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 4, 2021

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Enigma posted:

and why are they not the laughing stock of that insular community?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Knowing nothing about the guy in the video, I'm interested to learn where the title "world's top whiskey taster" comes from. Is it self-proclaimed, some sort of competition, based on his youtube numbers, or just something that Josh Lyman posted?
If for example he's actually successfully named 50 out of 50 bourbons in a blind competition or whatever, it would be all the more intriguing.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

they must have paid for the whisky connoisseur title surely, but opted out of the scotch modules

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

zmcnulty posted:

Knowing nothing about the guy in the video, I'm interested to learn where the title "world's top whiskey taster" comes from. Is it self-proclaimed, some sort of competition, based on his youtube numbers, or just something that Josh Lyman posted?
If for example he's actually successfully named 50 out of 50 bourbons in a blind competition or whatever, it would be all the more intriguing.

He won a competition from the Bardstown Bourbon Company
He's really good at figuring bourbons and ryes out blind too, if you watch his advent calendar videos he gets a lot right, and often when he doesn't get the exact bottle, he gets the proof and distillery

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's probably more or a joke than anything, seeing that his channel isn't very serious, but I haven't really paid attention to that whole schtick.

Also having watched the part of the stream where he tries the scotch I feel kind of bad for him. Ardbeg Wee Beastie isn't exactly a gentle introduction into peated scotch.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

spankmeister posted:

It's probably more or a joke than anything, seeing that his channel isn't very serious, but I haven't really paid attention to that whole schtick.

Also having watched the part of the stream where he tries the scotch I feel kind of bad for him. Ardbeg Wee Beastie isn't exactly a gentle introduction into peated scotch.

If you've watched his videos and seen their tone you'd know it's not that serious. During the various rounds of the competition he called himself "worlds okayest whiskey taster"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deceptive Thinker posted:

If you've watched his videos and seen their tone you'd know it's not that serious. During the various rounds of the competition he called himself "worlds okayest whiskey taster"
Yeah I don't think that he thinks he's literally the world's best whiskey taster, but he takes some pride in his palate (and rightfully so).

I just wish he had more experience with Scotches but it is what it is.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 4, 2021

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Well it was a good weekend for whisky purchases.

Picked up one of those bottles of redbreast 12 cask strength for $59.99, I even told the guy , “ this is like a ridiculously good price on this” and he just said ‘yeah we get a good deal on it for some reason’.

$5 more than the standard 12 year sitting next to it, seems like a misprice, but I’ll take it!

Then I traded a knob creek 15 year store pick for a bottle of blantons. I am pretty sure I gave up the better bottle of whisky in that deal, but I have a couple backups of KC and I don’t have any more blantons.

Lastly, to top it off, I was pick number 9 in my local shops yearly allocated raffle. They hold back enough bottles for everyone to get something, so it’s not like a normal raffle. It’s also just for their like top regular customers, some of which aren’t big whisky collectors(as you’ll see bellow).

Here’s what the people in front of me picked:
1. Van Winkle Lot B
2. Van Winkle Lot B
3. Old rip van winkle
4. Old rip van winkle
5. Old rip van winkle
6. George T. Stagg
7. Henry McKenna 10 (lol)
8. Eagle Rare + Buffalo trace bourbon cream
9. GEORGE T STAGG BITCHES!!!!

Boy am I glad that some people aren’t whisky people. I got the last bottle of Stagg, next choices would have probably been Birthday Bourbon or Thomas H Handy, both of which I’d be much less excited about.

Honestly, if I would have had the first pick it still would have been an easy choice for the GTS.

:feelsgoodman:

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Josh Lyman posted:

Part of me wonders if this comes from Americans thinking bourbon = whiskey. I had a work colleague who said "Of all the brown liquors I prefer bourbon" except it seemed they were actually talking about whiskey and just using "bourbon" as a synonym.

That's what bothers me most about Bourbon Junkies and It's Bourbon Night. My guess is they had a proclivity toward bourbon when they started but why would you artificially limit yourself like that? Especially since Dan of Boubon Junkies has admitted that he mostly drinks Scotch off camera these days.

Yeah, this is all true. I'm in the US and almost everyone I know drinks bourbon or Jameson. Not that I'm poo-pooing either of those, but me and a friend do have a joke when we try a new bourbon that it "tastes like bourbon".

I wish there were more uncategorized American whiskies. Michter's American isn't the most clever thing in the world (bourbon, except aged in ex-bourbon casks instead of new oak), but it's interesting and awesome. I just don't think the US distilleries do single malts as good as Scotland (and definitely not for the price), and aside from that tend to not use anything other than new charred oak. I think there's so much potential in making some random and interesting stuff that isn't limited by trying to fit into a category.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Picked up one of those bottles of redbreast 12 cask strength for $59.99, I even told the guy , “ this is like a ridiculously good price on this” and he just said ‘yeah we get a good deal on it for some reason’.

$5 more than the standard 12 year sitting next to it, seems like a misprice, but I’ll take it!

Then I traded a knob creek 15 year store pick for a bottle of blantons. I am pretty sure I gave up the better bottle of whisky in that deal, but I have a couple backups of KC and I don’t have any more blantons.

Lastly, to top it off, I was pick number 9 in my local shops yearly allocated raffle. They hold back enough bottles for everyone to get something, so it’s not like a normal raffle. It’s also just for their like top regular customers, some of which aren’t big whisky collectors(as you’ll see bellow).

1. Van Winkle Lot B
2. Van Winkle Lot B
3. Old rip van winkle
4. Old rip van winkle
5. Old rip van winkle
6. George T. Stagg

Boy am I glad that some people aren’t whisky people. I got the last bottle of Stagg, next choices would have probably been Birthday Bourbon or Thomas H Handy, both of which I’d be much less excited about.

Honestly, if I would have had the first pick it still would have been an easy choice for the GTS.

Grats and cherish that bottle.
THH this year is supposed to be the best it's been since 2017 though (and is trading evenly with GTS and ORVW) so you that definitely wouldn't have missed out on something great if you got it instead

Your eagle rare and hmk10 people
Reminds me of the person who won a raffle at one of my stores a few years back who picked Weller 12 over a bunch of BTAC and VW stuff too

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Grats and cherish that bottle.
THH this year is supposed to be the best it's been since 2017 though (and is trading evenly with GTS and ORVW) so you that definitely wouldn't have missed out on something great if you got it instead

Your eagle rare and hmk10 people
Reminds me of the person who won a raffle at one of my stores a few years back who picked Weller 12 over a bunch of BTAC and VW stuff too

Thanks! I have heard the Handy is great this year, I just much prefer bourbon to rye!

My wife is giving me crap for wanting to open it, given the secondary value. Thing is, if I were to sell it I’d just end up buying a bunch of bottles of whisky or a custom putter or something.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

My wife is pulling the same thing with my ORVW that I overpaid for already
I'm trading it for 2 different bottles this week, but she's still wondering why I couldn't just get cash for it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I fall victim to this too: doesn’t matter that I got the bottle for state min, if the secondary is hundreds of dollars I’m in effect paying hundreds of dollars to drink it. Don’t think either philosophy is “right” but don’t think you’ll successfully convince someone one way of the other.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

DoctaFun posted:

1. Van Winkle Lot B
2. Van Winkle Lot B
3. Old rip van winkle
4. Old rip van winkle
5. Old rip van winkle
6. George T. Stagg

I know absolutely nothing about BTAC aside from what I've read on reddit, but just curious as to why William Larue Weller wasn't picked by anyone. Because the internet seems to think it's the greatest thing ever.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
It is the greatest thing ever :shrug:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Probably wasn't an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Klungar posted:

I fall victim to this too: doesn’t matter that I got the bottle for state min, if the secondary is hundreds of dollars I’m in effect paying hundreds of dollars to drink it. Don’t think either philosophy is “right” but don’t think you’ll successfully convince someone one way of the other.
Ugh, I know right?

It’s like, I’m sure I will enjoy this bottle greatly at $100, but I would never buy one for $600, and know I would feel disappointed if I paid that much...

Suppose I could always sell off samples, cause I would like to give my liquor store guy a sample, we’ve been trading samples for awhile and I know he’d appreciate it.

Nimmy posted:

I know absolutely nothing about BTAC aside from what I've read on reddit, but just curious as to why William Larue Weller wasn't picked by anyone. Because the internet seems to think it's the greatest thing ever.

They didn’t get any WLW or ‘face pappy’ this year, which is why! They also don’t get any of the sazerac 18 or eagle rare 17.