Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Optimist Prime posted:

Question regarding Super Metroid: is there a fast-travel method in this game? I can't seem to select save points on the map, and I just keep going deeper underground. For reference, I just found the super-speed upgrade in Norfair.

I also wouldn't mind being able to open orange doors... unless I can do that already. :v:

There’s a reason why Super Metroid is the first of its kind lol a lot of quality of life stuff was introduced with castlevania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS is the first Metroid with a fast travel system.

I guess Prime 3 had the ship with a few points on each world it can drop you off at.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Super Metroid is well designed enough to not need fast travel points.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Optimist Prime posted:

Question regarding Super Metroid: is there a fast-travel method in this game? I can't seem to select save points on the map, and I just keep going deeper underground. For reference, I just found the super-speed upgrade in Norfair.

I also wouldn't mind being able to open orange doors... unless I can do that already. :v:

Not in usual gameplay but there's a debug option that lets you select which area to start up in. You'd need a game genie or equivalent, though.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Thanks, all. I'll just be patient and keep spelunking. Game's great, and the sound design is unbelievable given the limitations.

(Follow-up question: what's the best way to kill those loving vampire cricket things? I survived a roomful of them largely by accident, but I think I curled into a ball and bombed them?)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bombs are only things that can hurt them, eventually you get a bigger bomb

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/1344164749093859328 lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

unlol

https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/1344478387516051457

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My guess is that some version of the Rare collection is coming to Switch. It makes perfect sense for MS to do it since it's pretty much free money and lots of goodwill, something they really need right now.

But here's a nice video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ2-FfXZlAU

I love the angry drummer.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Lodin posted:

It makes perfect sense for MS to do it since it's pretty much free money and lots of goodwill, something they really need right now.

Why does Microsoft need lots of goodwill? Did they do bad? I'm pretty tuned out on the next gen console stuff.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Lol @ nintendo giving fans the old roms they want. You'll get one port of Ballz 3D next year and like it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lodin posted:

My guess is that some version of the Rare collection is coming to Switch. It makes perfect sense for MS to do it since it's pretty much free money and lots of goodwill, something they really need right now.

But here's a nice video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ2-FfXZlAU

I love the angry drummer.

The Rare Replay is the only Xbone exclusive game, it isn't on PC

Why would they port it to Switch?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Len posted:

Because it would sell there, while everybody who would buy it on Xbox already has ages ago.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I guess I shouldn't be surprised because "gaming news" sites will post anything for clicks but the whole Banjo WiiU stuff is especially stupid because it's very clear that they were added with placeholder dates like 8 years ago and they just forgot they were still in the system. It's less than meaningless.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Len posted:

More money from people who own a Switch but not an Xbox platform, particularly since a lot of the games on Rare Replay are ones that N64 players in particular are nostalgic for.

It's not too bizarre, Microsoft's more than happy to take certain properties to other consoles, like Ori and Cuphead to Switch, or Minecraft to everything. It's certainly more likely than Mother 3 at this point.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
For the same reason that they handed over Banjo & Kazooie and Steve to Smash. They didn't do that out of the good will of their heart. I doubt they actually asked for any money there, it's just to be good guys.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Optimist Prime posted:

(Follow-up question: what's the best way to kill those loving vampire cricket things? I survived a roomful of them largely by accident, but I think I curled into a ball and bombed them?)

The ones that grab on to you? Missiles and super missiles will kill them, though it might not seem like it because of oddities in where those spawn when you fire them in different directions and the hitboxes involved. Standing and firing a Super Missile to the side or jumping and firing either down should do it. Or bombs, like you found out, and a few upcoming weapons make life easier as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Twerk from Home posted:

Because it would sell there, while everybody who would buy it on Xbox already has ages ago.

That doesn't get you in the Game Pass subscription service though and they're more into that than actually selling games

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Dpulex posted:

Lol @ nintendo giving fans the old roms they want. You'll get one port of Ballz 3D next year and like it.

Dammit I was hoping this was them leaking rare replay for switch. Jet force Gemini when?!!’

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS is the first Metroid with a fast travel system.

I guess Prime 3 had the ship with a few points on each world it can drop you off at.

Prime 2 had some warp points you could use once you got the light suit too. That one was particularly annoying to navigate what with the light/dark worlds and all that.

Super metriod does some one way progression gating that would be hosed up by fast travel but a late game warp system would be a good addition for cleaning up missed items imo.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Poque posted:

I haven't played Super Metroid in so long that I probably wouldn't remember a thing about it. Might be time for a replay

It’s always time to replay Super Metroid, friend.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Anything first party to look forward to on this thing other than botw2, or should I still assume it's just a little indie machine? Nintendo put out strong "phoning it in" vibes after breath of the wild / Odyssey and while I'm sure the pandemic impacted lot of their development plans I don't think I've booted up a proper switch game in over 12 months.

Just playing ports and 2D games over here. Everything first party or exclusive is just so uninspiring on the eshop. I did get cook eat delicious 2 or whatever for $2 which is fun enough I guess.

I've put thousands of hours of time into this machine so I have definitely gotten my money's worth. Just wish I had more to be excited about for this platform, especially now that the next gen consoles are here and in fact very good

My next big anticipated titles are silksong (not an exclusive) and MH rise (gently caress yessss this is gonna own). I think Mario 3D world will also be pretty cool but wow they really milked the wiiu releases for three years huh

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No Nintendo isn't making games anymore. They announced that BOTW2 is the last game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

LionArcher posted:

Dammit I was hoping this was them leaking rare replay for switch. Jet force Gemini when?!!’

I played through JFG recently and it would need some polish to be acceptable to a modern audience.

It's fun as gently caress but runs at like 15 fps.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

American McGay posted:

No Nintendo isn't making games anymore. They announced that BOTW2 is the last game.

"We're going to be honest. Frankly we were just kind of tired of all the money. It's been a good run. We're gonna go hit up El Ranchito around the corner for 2 for 1 margs if anyone wants to join us."

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Of course they're making something, the question is do y'all think they're making something good that isn't BOTW2? For my personal preferences/tastes, the last six or so exclusives have been very hit or miss. Then you see odd side projects like the FE nes romhack and the mario $60 bundle and ehhh kinda reinforces the whole idea of this is rehash land

Who even is talking about their profitability lol what an odd thing to bring up in a non finance forum. You got nintendo stock? Maybe I should get some...

also I realize the irony of posting this when I'm using my ps5 exclusively to play years old ps4 games

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 31, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Inzombiac posted:

I played through JFG recently and it would need some polish to be acceptable to a modern audience.

It's fun as gently caress but runs at like 15 fps.

The Rare Replay version runs well and has modern dual stick controls as an option.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KingSlime posted:

Of course they're making something, the question is do y'all think they're making something good that isn't BOTW2? For my personal preferences/tastes, the last six or so exclusives have been very hit or miss. Then you see odd side projects like the FE nes romhack and the mario $60 bundle and ehhh kinda reinforces the whole idea of this is rehash land

Who even is talking about their profitability lol what an odd thing to bring up in a non finance forum. You got nintendo stock? Maybe I should get some...

Nobody is talking about their profitability you dolt - we're just making jokes. Calm down.

But even if we were serious... you do understand that the profitability of a company/product is, um, perfectly fine to address in a thread dedicated to said company and product? You are a weird one.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

also I realize the irony of posting this when I'm using my ps5 exclusively to play years old ps4 games
Luigi's Mansion 3 is the best game available on the Switch. :shrug:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Nobody is talking about their profitability you dolt - we're just making jokes. Calm down.

I am calm! It's my day off and I'm just relaxing online reading random stuff, thanks for asking!

Nintendo has been around in one form or another for 100 years so it's weird when people (often) bring up their financial prospects/success/potential failure. I don't care about any of all that, just wanna play some sweet games.

American McGay posted:

Luigi's Mansion 3 is the best game available on the Switch. :shrug:

Ahh poo poo ok I actually haven't played this one. I've been meaning to for a while too!

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al-Saqr posted:

There’s a reason why Super Metroid is the first of its kind lol a lot of quality of life stuff was introduced with castlevania.

The first metroid game was Metroid

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
2019 was a good Switch year but yeah 2020 was lacking in exclusives. Animal Crossing and Paper Mario were the exclusive standouts this year for me. The new Hyrule Warriors game is good but isn’t Nintendo developed so you might not count it

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KingSlime posted:

I am calm! It's my day off and I'm just relaxing online reading random stuff, thanks for asking!

Nintendo has been around in one form or another for 100 years so it's weird when people (often) bring up their financial prospects/success/potential failure. I don't care about any of all that, just wanna play some sweet games.

The only discussion over Nintendo's profits are almost always just jokes about how they can print money. Nobody is seriously discussing it.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

waiting for a new kirby game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

2019 was a good Switch year but yeah 2020 was lacking in exclusives. Animal Crossing and Paper Mario were the exclusive standouts this year for me. The new Hyrule Warriors game is good but isn’t Nintendo developed so you might not count it

I’d still count it since it’s clear Nintendo was more involved than the first HW.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d still count it since it’s clear Nintendo was more involved than the first HW.

Yeah and a lot of people did seem to enjoy it, musou stuff isn't my jam personally. Too repetitive. Paper Mario looked good on all fronts other than the combat which was a bit of a deal breaker, from what I read and saw I don't think I would have enjoyed dropping the full $60 on it.

Luigi's Mansion 3 is a pretty safe bet for $60 though.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Earlier I came in looking for games like fantasy life, was recommended Rune Factory 4, which I had the for the ds. And with Rune Factory 5 coming out in 2021 I probably wouldn't get Rune Factory 4S. Anyways I bought WorldNeverland - Elnea Kingdom based off Story of Seasons players, and it's interesting? It's on sale for $15, and I guess it's sort of a life sim where you're supposed to last several generations, working jobs getting skills. I think it's worth it for the sale

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Ramc posted:

waiting for a new kirby game

Wasn't there a Super Smash Kirby game that recently dropped?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That was just a port of an old 3DS game. There hasn't been a real Kirby game in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh God, Nintendo are turning into Valve! One game every four years and you need to buy a VR headset to play it.