Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I hear you get a discount if you bring your own lead vest and goggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Okay, so I've been back on the menstruation poo poo after getting my hormonal iud taken out in February, but my god my tits hurt way more now than I remember them hurting before :(

On the other hand, at least my cycle is still clockwork. It's just fuckin' short. I feel like my boobs ache half the drat cycle too.

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

Went to the doc for a two month followup on my Nexplanon yesterday. It still hurts, like a hard dull ache in my arm, when I do things like bend down and lift stuff on that side. She poked and bent?! it until it really loving hurt and said my scar tissue complication at insertion is making it take longer to heal.

Now it hurts because she hosed around with it, but at least she doesn't think something awful is going on.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That sucks, I'm sorry. Does it help to wear the ace bandage?

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

I've been baking it with a hot pad which seems to help. It's such a deep ache that NSAIDs don't seem to do much for it. The ace bandage only helps while it is on, and when it comes off things hurt more.

It is hard to sleep on my left side because any way I lay that arm down puts some kind of torsion on it which is the entire issue - that's the thing that makes it hurt. When you consider it 90% of what you do puts torsion on your upper arm area. The vag doctor says if it isn't considerably better at the end of this month, we're consulting with another vag doctor who specializes in Nexplanon and the solution is probably to remove it again and get another one in a different place (oh joy).

I am glad that it isn't infected or anything insane like that. I feel it every day to be sure it hasn't moved, and it has never been hot/swollen, but it is nice to have a professional tell me I'm not going to get gangrene or something. This is 100% not the experience I had with my first one though. I'm still period free, so at least there's that.

Edit: By this month I mean in a month because it's pandemic and I don't understand how time works anymore.

Zoesdare fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 31, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Different part of the anatomy but, since it shows up in women a lot more than in men: any other lovely-thyroid-havers in here? I have a follow-up appointment to hopefully start some kind of treatment for what looks like Hashimoto's in a week or two. Just had the sonogram of my throat today, and the woman asked me "have you had surgery on your thyroid before?" which is a VERY FUN question to be asked when the answer is "no." I asked why she said that, and she said that one half of my thyroid was so much smaller than the other that she thought maybe I'd had part of it removed.

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YeahTubaMike posted:

Welp, I've been menstruating, sometimes heavily & sometimes lightly, since December 1. Don't worry, I'm scheduling a gyno appointment. Maybe I can get my massive fibroids lasered out soon.

Red raspberry leaf, you can take it as pills. I kid you not, I'm convinced that it saved my life last year when my period went for almost two months. I'm not someone who likes herbal supplements, but there's always a bottle on hand in my house now.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

showbiz_liz posted:

Different part of the anatomy but, since it shows up in women a lot more than in men: any other lovely-thyroid-havers in here? I have a follow-up appointment to hopefully start some kind of treatment for what looks like Hashimoto's in a week or two. Just had the sonogram of my throat today, and the woman asked me "have you had surgery on your thyroid before?" which is a VERY FUN question to be asked when the answer is "no." I asked why she said that, and she said that one half of my thyroid was so much smaller than the other that she thought maybe I'd had part of it removed.

My wife has hashimotos. Daily pills that need to get readjusted every 3 months.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Hi thread! I was supposed to have my regularly-scheduled-by-extended-cycle-BC period this week, but all it's given me is recurrent migraines. I'm not a fan!

showbiz_liz posted:

Different part of the anatomy but, since it shows up in women a lot more than in men: any other lovely-thyroid-havers in here?
I don't know if I've ever had my thyroid directly examined, but I've had a couple blood tests looking at its effects (because I have a lot of symptoms that would suggest hypothyroidism) and it always comes out normal :iiam:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A grocery store chain in these parts has sold and they're getting rid of merchandise for the new merger. Most of it's 40-50% off.

drat straight my first stops were the feminine products and drugs aisles.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

showbiz_liz posted:

Yeah, a few years back one of my parathyroid glands went apeshit and I had to have it, and half of my thyroid, removed. I just take thyroxine daily now and it's no big deal except my neck feels kinda empty if I poke around at it.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

showbiz_liz posted:

I had a tumor grow to enormous dimensions over the course of a few days and had it removed along with half my thyroid, this was back in 2012.

Biopsy came back inconclusive prior to surgery but pathology after surgery showed no cancer. My thyroid levels have been fine and I’ve not needed to do anything apart from having blood tests while pregnant to monitor.

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Freak-a-Leak little girls

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Haulin Oates posted:

Red raspberry leaf, you can take it as pills. I kid you not, I'm convinced that it saved my life last year when my period went for almost two months. I'm not someone who likes herbal supplements, but there's always a bottle on hand in my house now.

Does it stop your periods or make them more regular?

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

Oh god, that’s awful! I have an AFAB coworker with a lot of health problems, including thyroid stuff. When they were a teen, they had hypothyroidism (reached their adult height at 11, had to drink nutritional shakes all through puberty so they didn’t become underweight/malnourished)...and now in their late 20s, they have hyperthyroidism and have to go to great lengths to avoid getting overweight, especially since they have a lot of joint and bone issues on the side. Human bodies, amirite?

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

Sort of lady-health related, I recently found out that I have a MTHFR mutation. I’m heterozygous for C677T which fucks with my ability to break down folate.

My doc is probably going to put me on SAMe therapy, which is just a protein that helps fill in the gaps. Pretty low stakes solution to something that can kill you, give you heart disease, or cause crippling anxiety. While reading up on it, looks like MTHFR mutations can masquerade as thyroid issues.

Also, because I’m very mature my brain autofills MOTHERFUCKER whenever I skim past the MTHFR abbreviation.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Zoesdare posted:

Also, because I’m very mature my brain autofills MOTHERFUCKER whenever I skim past the MTHFR abbreviation.

lol ok it wasn't just me

Did it just pop up in like, a general 23andme type test or were you looking for that specifically?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/SummerRay/status/1345408548939902978/photo/1

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just gonna add "string" to my big list of things that inexplicably make people horny

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Barudak posted:

Just gonna add "string" to my big list of things that inexplicably make people horny

Fun fact, I once had a partner really into shibari and sometimes when I was annoyed with them I would tie them up and leave for a couple hours. They thought I was trying to be sexy but I was really just over their poo poo.

E: think they're a 7th Day Adventist missionary now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"Yeah, you like that" but with resignation.

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

coronatae posted:

Did it just pop up in like, a general 23andme type test or were you looking for that specifically?

Specifically tested for it with blood work. Idk if it turns up on non blood work testing, it is apparently an insanely specific thing, though about 20% of Americans with European heritage have at least a partial mutation.

Mine cuts my ability to produce the enzyme that breaks down folate to about 60% of normal, but there are other variants can cut that to 30 or even 0%.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Anything that goes near a woman's hoohah makes them horny. This is why they can't/shouldn't have male doctors or tampons. These facts brought to you by nearly all religions.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

It came up in the r/elationships thread today so here's your reminder that some dipshit chiropractor thought he had solved menstrual hygiene: just glue your fuckin lips shut.

dipshit chiropractor Dan Dopps posted:

I am a doctor and inventor with a unique insight into anatomy and physiology trying to innovate for women

dispshit chiropractor Dan Dopps on the Mensez facebook page posted:

Yes, I am a man and you as a woman, should have come up with a better solution then diapers and plugs, but you didn’t. Reason being women are focused on and distracted by your period 25% of the time, making them far less productive then they could be.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

so thats the second month in the row I've had a sobbing, nervous breakdown right before my period starts. Thats uh.....fun??

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YeahTubaMike posted:

Does it stop your periods or make them more regular?

It stops the period, i don't use it regularly

Edit: I just remembered that I did try using it to regulate my period, and I just didn't have my period for a few months and then I had ALL of them.

Haulin Oates fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 10, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Xun posted:

so thats the second month in the row I've had a sobbing, nervous breakdown right before my period starts. Thats uh.....fun??

Have a word with your doctor if you can? If you have PMDD coming on it's better to know.

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

My period was like 3-4 days late as it sometimes is for no apparent reason and when it finally materialised the pain almost made me throw up, so I've spent all day laying around uselessly. Oh to be able to yeet my uterus + ovaries :sigh:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I have a nexplanon implant and most of the time I get zero periods with it (it's freaking life changing) but a few months before I'm due to get it replaced I start spotting every dang day. I figured this year I'd try out a cup because I'm not spotting enough for a tampon (and they like poking my innards anyway) and I'm just tired of wearing pads daily for like two months. The cup came in the mail today and I took it for a test run this morning, and y'all that poo poo is an adventure. I was able to get it in pretty easy, and I got it out the first time with some mild difficulty. the second time I tried though, that sucker got suctioned to my cervix or something because it was deep enough I could just barely reach it and it would not come out. I legit spent about two hours off and on trying to get it, and it finally came out after I took a long bath. But man, no amount of 'bearing down', pushing, grabbing the stem and wiggling/pulling or changing positions helped. I legit was about to just wait until my boyfriend got off work and then have him go excavating, but I got it in the end.

I will say however, that for the most part it's comfy when it's in there. I feel it a little (I feel the stem more than anything, but after today I'm hesitant to trim it down much) but I feel it way less than tampons or pads. So I figure I'll take it for another test run on my next day off and see what happens. If any of y'all have any tips or tricks in the meantime, let me know.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Soysaucebeast posted:

So I have a nexplanon implant and most of the time I get zero periods with it (it's freaking life changing) but a few months before I'm due to get it replaced I start spotting every dang day. I figured this year I'd try out a cup because I'm not spotting enough for a tampon (and they like poking my innards anyway) and I'm just tired of wearing pads daily for like two months. The cup came in the mail today and I took it for a test run this morning, and y'all that poo poo is an adventure. I was able to get it in pretty easy, and I got it out the first time with some mild difficulty. the second time I tried though, that sucker got suctioned to my cervix or something because it was deep enough I could just barely reach it and it would not come out. I legit spent about two hours off and on trying to get it, and it finally came out after I took a long bath. But man, no amount of 'bearing down', pushing, grabbing the stem and wiggling/pulling or changing positions helped. I legit was about to just wait until my boyfriend got off work and then have him go excavating, but I got it in the end.

I will say however, that for the most part it's comfy when it's in there. I feel it a little (I feel the stem more than anything, but after today I'm hesitant to trim it down much) but I feel it way less than tampons or pads. So I figure I'll take it for another test run on my next day off and see what happens. If any of y'all have any tips or tricks in the meantime, let me know.

You have to smoosh it back into the U shape. Break the seal at the top by compressing the cup lower down, closer to the stem. Move up slowly until you can pinch it "open."

If that's what you were already doing then I'm sorry! I've been using a cup for almost 20 years now (no, not the same one!) and it really is like riding a bike after a certain point.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hm I wouldn't compress it back entirely into the U cause that would push all the blood out (although if its a tiny bit of spotting that's obviously less of a concern). But definitely try sticking a finger up next to it to break the seal at the top.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

Hm I wouldn't compress it back entirely into the U cause that would push all the blood out

Oh I do that anyway. Who cares if you're on the toilet. You can always wash your hands after. (I have at least one friend who is squeamish about blood and decided against cups for that reason though, which is perfectly valid.)

I have used cups for over ten years at this point, and now I really hate when I have to use anything else, like if I'm out when my period starts and I forgot to bring it with me. I never, ever had a full period with zero leaks before I got into cups, no matter what ultra-max tampon I used. With cups, I still get leaks occasionally, but I can go months without it happening.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Organza Quiz posted:

Hm I wouldn't compress it back entirely into the U cause that would push all the blood out (although if its a tiny bit of spotting that's obviously less of a concern). But definitely try sticking a finger up next to it to break the seal at the top.

Yeah, no, although that wouldn't bother me. I meant try to collapse it/break the seal without fully unleashing the blood scourge. Or do, whatever, it'll be warm for a minute!

Either way, though, practice makes perfect. I've also heard a bit of Vaseline on the rim helps DO NOT QUOTE ME I DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S GOOD FOR YOUR SNOOCH you could use lube, too, I guess!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah I just use my thumb (easiest for me) and go up to push in the rim up at the top of the cup. Makes a mess but it breaks the seal easy.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Other than Crimson Tide and There Will Be Blood what are some other great movie titles?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Rambo: First Blood.

Right on time for the PMS today I was SOOOO MAD this morning at all the continual bullshit I have to put up with as a mom and housewife. But I'm fine now, it wore off in the afternoon and I am no longer planning my escape to go work as a cook in Antarctica.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
Spent yesterday morning crying over old irish folk songs and was crampy by the afternoon. welp! :toot:

Before that I also had nerve pain for about a week that made it difficult to sit down without an ice pack. I was going to go to a doctor about it (still am tbh even though it's gone) but once my period actually started it went away. Having an IUD also made that nerve pain happen before/during menstruation [I think on the sciatic nerve? the pain would run from my butt to my legs], but it went away for a long time once I got the IUD removed. Sigh. Having a uterus is full of fun surprises.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Amarcarts posted:

Other than Crimson Tide and There Will Be Blood what are some other great movie titles?

Throne of Blood (your toilet)

Kotex the Barb-Arian

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

My workplace is all AFAB and the four of us who work closest together always talk about our periods, so now I can gauge mine by when everyone else gets theirs! Kathy started cramping today so they’ll be starting in the next two days; Ellie and I are synced up, so she was very emotional today while I’m breaking out like crazy, which means we’ll start pretty much when Kathy’s done. Then it’s Natalie’s turn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bibliotechno Music posted:

My workplace is all AFAB and the four of us who work closest together always talk about our periods, so now I can gauge mine by when everyone else gets theirs! Kathy started cramping today so they’ll be starting in the next two days; Ellie and I are synced up, so she was very emotional today while I’m breaking out like crazy, which means we’ll start pretty much when Kathy’s done. Then it’s Natalie’s turn!

Women are fuckin' wild