Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Memento posted:

Out of curiousity, what level of radiation hardening do these systems have?

I think the dragon capsule just has 3+ normal computers and does a majority vote on what to trust. It doesn't have the normal radiation hardness of other craft. But it also is only intended to go from Earth to the ISS. It isn't meant to go into the radiation belts or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Memento posted:

Out of curiousity, what level of radiation hardening do these systems have?

ISS is well within the ionosphere, so fault tolerant processors (essential in any flying vehicle anyways) plus a large frame and a little extra radiation shielding should work just fine for the durations that they're in space, what you'd see in a satellite for example.

A vehicle designed to travel to Mars, or perform extended Lunar operations would need a lot more radiation hardening to perform well, and might cross the threshold where COTS electronics aren't suitable for the job.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cojawfee posted:

I think the dragon capsule just has 3+ normal computers and does a majority vote on what to trust. It doesn't have the normal radiation hardness of other craft. But it also is only intended to go from Earth to the ISS. It isn't meant to go into the radiation belts or anything.

Our atmosphere attenuates a lot of radiation. I can almost guarantee that radiation was a design factor in the electronics. For example picking components on a rad parts list like this one https://radhome.gsfc.nasa.gov/radhome/RadDataBase/RadDataBase.html, providing shielding via mounting location/design, and via subsystem testing in a radiation test facility.

Got a source on a crewed spacecraft having less “normal radiation” mitigation than “other craft”? What other manned craft would there be?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cojawfee posted:

I believe (and stand to be corrected) Dragon uses three hardened ARM based modules as the NASA human rated specs call for redundant modules that if one gets affected by cosmic rays, get rebooted as that almost always will clear the radiation induced error. So the hardware seems to be fine.

The software I dont know what to make of tho. While the gruntwork is C++, the screens are basically a webterminal / Javascript running on a Chromium system.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/Hgo0iEJ.mp4

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Horrible owner failure caused 100% of that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Well, I mean the suspension was already broken. It just broke more.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Well, I mean the suspension was already broken. It just broke more.

one weird trick to convert suspension issues into frame integrity issues. Raptor owners love it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

suspension has been suspended

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I love how the drivers of cars like that are always super leaned forward and with the seat at its lowest and/or super short.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

He also appeared to have been poo poo talking or otherwise being a dick, given the body language of the guys around the car at the beginning, and his somewhat rapid exit.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

MrOnBicycle posted:

I love how the drivers of cars like that are always super leaned forward and with the seat at its lowest and/or super short.

I'll never understand this. At what point is it comfortable?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dave Inc. posted:

I'll never understand this. At what point is it comfortable?

They're not. That's usually people who are either terrified of driving, not good at it, or both.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/24wheel_news/status/1344646779183140866?s=21

Woops

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

DUI, I assume?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Probably the same factory where they would put different trim levels on each side of the truck.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

not a fail, but not sure where else to put it, saw this today:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I remember when those things were snapped up by redbull as the original redbull girl cars, and they'd always come by our skate spots or at the local snowboard park and hand cans out like candy.

I always thought they would be perfect for a hayabusa swap.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I remember when those things were snapped up by redbull as the original redbull girl cars, and they'd always come by our skate spots or at the local snowboard park and hand cans out like candy.

I always thought they would be perfect for a hayabusa swap.
They're based on Vitaras, you can put V8s in them if you really want.

I miss the Red Bull promo cars we had here when I was a student, they used classic Minis

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I love those dorky little things.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Krakkles posted:

DUI, I assume?

Alcohol would explain a lot of Chrysler's automotive decisions

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Wait for it
https://i.imgur.com/hY08ty4.mp4

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Don't want to stand out, eh?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Help, my window can't close all the way.

https://twitter.com/crk5/status/1347367527752499203?s=21

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrong thread. This is amazing

Dacheat
Feb 21, 2003
Was changing out some o-rings on my ARB air locker in my CJ7 and just was wrapping up the job, slid the jack under the axle and noticed that the axle wasn't moving much on the driver's side:

this is/was a heavy duty M.O.R.E. brand shackle hanger.... less than 2 years old with about 5000mi on it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw1YjIWRxUk

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Reminds me of "noooooo no no no no no no nooooo"

I wish one of the lights came loose and fell on the roof of the car. Would have made it so much better...

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I thinks she's good and truly hosed boys.

I loving hate dayco. :argh:

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

I thinks she's good and truly hosed boys.

I loving hate dayco. :argh:

Our F-650 trucks with Cummins engines had the Dayco belt tensioners take a dump way too quick. And the Dayco replacements didn't let the belt fit because the locating peg was clocked differently. Same part number. gently caress you Dayco.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I discovered some time back that the bearing on the Ford tensioners, at least on my Crown Vic, is a common one and pretty easy to replace. Of course, that wasn’t the problem on mine. For some reason the tensioner was just a hair too close to the block and under certain conditions the pulley would *juuuuuuust* contact the timing cover, causing a chiropractor by noise. Solved by thin washers.

Edit: this was the tensioner with the smooth pulley on the US passenger side. I also had some issue with the replacement, but I forget exactly what it was. It’s been years.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 3, 2021

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, its just a 6303 bearing, but that poo poo is loving trashed now so no reusing it. I also don't want dayco garbage in my car if I can avoid it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
More like Clown Victoria amirite?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Elmnt80 posted:

Yeah, its just a 6303 bearing, but that poo poo is loving trashed now so no reusing it. I also don't want dayco garbage in my car if I can avoid it.

Ah yes, judging by the seal the ever popular "HCH" brand of bearing
Never heard of them. Guaranteed winner of cheapest possible price bid

Background image right from the manufacturers website screams quality with their top notch packaging and state of the art warehouse.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Joe Mama posted:

Our F-650 trucks with Cummins engines had the Dayco belt tensioners take a dump way too quick. And the Dayco replacements didn't let the belt fit because the locating peg was clocked differently. Same part number. gently caress you Dayco.

I learned the (not hard?) way to just buy an oem tensioner when I did the timing belt on my legacy. The Gates tensioner failed and the belt skipped 3 teeth on one of the cam shafts. It started to backfire through the intake. Somehow this didn't grenade the motor or the head even though it was an interference motor. :iiam: Drove it another 100000km before I sold it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Elmnt80 posted:

I had a dayco tensioner on one of my Mustangs, thought the alternator was going bad until I realized the tensioner spring had just shattered the aluminum casting and was holding almost no tension on the belt.

I think I posted the picture in this thread.

E: I did!

Elviscat posted:

"I'll just pry this serpentine belt off of my alternator real quick before I change it out... wait, why can I do that by hand without any real trouble?"

oh

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Another Dayco abortion are their viscous fan clutches.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Another Dayco abortion are their viscous fan clutches.

Almost every aftermarket fan clutch is a pile of poo poo, it's pretty much always better to try and rebuild your OEM part or just replace it with OEM. I have never, ever had good luck with any brand of aftermarket fan clutch.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Dayco more like Nowayco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

chrisgt posted:

Almost every aftermarket fan clutch is a pile of poo poo, it's pretty much always better to try and rebuild your OEM part or just replace it with OEM. I have never, ever had good luck with any brand of aftermarket fan clutch.

Interesting, never occured to me they could be rebuilt.