Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I would put a lot more stock and value into British knighthoods if Rudy Giuliani hadn’t received one tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Vando posted:

I think the 'disagreement' probably boiled down to being asked 'why are you 2 laps down on your teammate get it together' and him trying to call the car poo poo in response, something that is traditionally well received over in Maranello.

No I mean that Arnoux did something far worse that he or no one else has ever commented on.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The list of utter shits who receive knighthoods is extensive (it's most of them). The better example would be Jimmy Savile if you really want a monster, or just about every high ranking member of the civil service and government.

The ones they give out for headlines to celebrities and people who do charity work are a distraction from the vast majority that are basically just a job perk for people who went to the same school as the Prime Minister

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The Knights should only get to keep their title if they honour their duties as defenders of the realm by demonstrating martial prowess at a traditional hastilude event.

Jousting, duel, or the completion of a Pas d'armes at a suitably traveled location such as King's Cross station.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Congratulations to Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton, Knight Bachelor, Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, and Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering.

I presume it is now bannable to refer to the greatest racing driver of all time in any less formal or respectful way???

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lewis nathaniel twisleton-wykeham-hamilton

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Max Verstappen will become a Knight too of the Ku Klux Klan

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Serious question, will our favorite commentators be legally required to refer to Lewis as Sir Lewis and never as just Lewis in their broadcasts?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Serious question, will our favorite commentators be legally required to refer to Lewis as Sir Lewis and never as just Lewis in their broadcasts?

They're not legally required but they absolutely will never ever miss an opportunity to use the title

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

How often do they say Sir Jackie Stewart? Or actually sir on any of these.

Sir Henry Segrave
Sir Malcolm Campbell
Sir Jack Brabham
Sir Frank Williams
Sir Stirling Moss
Sir Jackie Stewart
Sir Patrick Head
Sir Lewis Hamilton

Edit: They do say Sir Gio Perez all the time though.

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 31, 2020

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Sir Bastian Vettel :xd:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

As a show of good will and hope for a harmonious future going into 2021 I have bought a cast iron pan. I can only hope the cast iron faction shows the same openness towards Teflon pans as well

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

FAUXTON posted:

They're not legally required but they absolutely will never ever miss an opportunity to use the title

Ugh good lord I just imagined Crofty saying "Sir Lewis Hamilton leads from pole" and I don't think I can stomach watching the 2021 season.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I don’t know why someone who considers himself a social justice advocate should accept honors from the imperialist and racist British monarchy. Even Bernie Ecclestone had the guts to refuse a knighthood

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Ugh good lord I just imagined Crofty saying "Sir Lewis Hamilton leads from pole" and I don't think I can stomach watching the 2021 season.

:flashfap:

I also learnt today that we could have had a Sir Bernie, but he apparently turned it down.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Phwoar, what a day! First the vaccine from the Oxford lads is confirmed to destroy Covid, then we won Brexit and finally Lewis got promoted to Knight Commander, which should really deter the French from trying any funny business. If every day in 2021 is this good, This is going to be a fantastic year for Britain!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Custard Undies posted:

:flashfap:

I also learnt today that we could have had a Sir Bernie, but he apparently turned it down.

Didn't he have to turn it down because there was a big stink over him basically bribing tony blair and he didn't want more attention on his finances?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Didn't he have to turn it down because there was a big stink over him basically bribing tony blair and he didn't want more attention on his finances?

I'm not sure, but you just reminded me that Bernie payed his way out of going to jail for bribery charges. :allears:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Custard Undies posted:

I'm not sure, but you just reminded me that Bernie payed his way out of going to jail for bribery charges. :allears:
loving legend

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

the corona quid posted:

As a show of good will and hope for a harmonious future going into 2021 I have bought a cast iron pan. I can only hope the cast iron faction shows the same openness towards Teflon pans as well

I also bought one recently, thing is loving heavy but it's good.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the corona quid posted:

GOOD

Zedd posted:

I also bought one recently, thing is loving heavy but it's good.

LADS

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
So apparently there is a power struggle in Ferrari right now and some people want to put andrea agnelli in charge of the racing team but the controlling part right now wants to put alessandro nasi i dont know who this guy is.
https://www.f1sport.it/2020/12/f1-andrea-agnelli-pronto-per-la-ferrari-binotto-trema/

Bring back Maurizio or Luca, do it Elkann you coward.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bring back enzo. With deaging cgi anything is possible. Or maybe that guy who played him in Ford vs Ferrari... just some ideas

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Posting from 2021.

Happy new year worst thread!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Let me be the first to congratulate Sir Lewis Hamilton on his 2021 WDC

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

spaceblancmange posted:

Max Verstappen will become a Knight too of the Ku Klux Klan

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Tsaedje posted:

Let me be the first to congratulate Sir Lewis Hamilton on his 2021 WDC
Perhaps we should start the 2022 off season thread now, why beat around the bush?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
get in there Sir Lewis

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

get in there Sir Lewis

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

If you think Crofty is unbearable now....

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LIGHTS OUT AND AWWWWAAYY WE GO SIR KNIGHT COMMANDER LEWIS HAMILTON KAY BEE EEE LEAPING OFF POLE INTO A COMMANDING LEAD AS BOTTAS DROPS TO THIRD AROUND TURN ONE, VERSTAPPEN IN THE RUNOFF AND CRASHES OUT EARLY, PHWOAR WHAT A START

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

FAUXTON posted:

LIGHTS OUT AND AWWWWAAYY WE GO SIR KNIGHT COMMANDER LEWIS HAMILTON KAY BEE EEE LEAPING OFF POLE INTO A COMMANDING LEAD AS BOTTAS DROPS TO THIRD AROUND TURN ONE, VERSTAPPEN IN THE RUNOFF AND CRASHES OUT EARLY, PHWOAR WHAT A START

You forgot Meatspin ramming a dude and/or doing a sexism.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zedd posted:

You forgot Meatspin ramming a dude and/or doing a sexism.

yeah but at that moment the haas gang hadn't even cleared the starting area

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

FAUXTON posted:

LIGHTS OUT AND AWWWWAAYY WE GO SIR KNIGHT COMMANDER LEWIS HAMILTON KAY BEE EEE LEAPING OFF POLE INTO A COMMANDING LEAD AS BOTTAS DROPS TO THIRD AROUND TURN ONE, VERSTAPPEN IN THE WALL AND CRASHES OUT EARLY, PHWOAR WHAT A START

ftfy

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh I was implying he crashed into the wall as crofty was yelling about max heading through the runoff

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FAUXTON posted:

chills

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I could put up with so much crofty bullshit if he wasn’t somehow sub 50% on guessing the right loving driver we’re watching. Fuckin Albon could be starting 15th with max on pole and he’d somehow call the lead redbull through turn 5 “albon”

Because max has already hit the wall

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I could put up with so much crofty bullshit if he wasn’t somehow sub 50% on guessing the right loving driver we’re watching. Fuckin Albon could be starting 15th with max on pole and he’d somehow call the lead redbull through turn 5 “albon”

Because max has already hit the wall

lol him confusing bottas and hamilton at multiple points during the season made a lot of boring races less boring though

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I find it hard to believe modern commentators get it wrong so often when the leaderboard positions update in near real time. Hunt and Walker were fairly good at calling the right driver when they had nothing but their view from the commentary box, the hastily put together leaderboards made by race watchers as cars came past them on the track, and the brief flashes of any action that you can see on grainy footage that was seldom pointing at the action.

Also, when they didn't have a clue, they'd just say what they saw. "That's one of the Alfa Romeos... ...I can't see who it is." Not the most helpful, but fair play to them: if you haven't got a clue, that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
yesssssssss