Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

The Gunslinger posted:

If this thing had Carplay I would just be all set, I hope Apple eventually shits or gets off pot with their EV efforts. Right now apparently Tesla refuses to adopt either tech because they don't want to give Apple/Google all of their fleet driving info or whatever.
I barely miss CarPlay at all, between the text messaging interface being so good and when I learned to “share” maps location to the Tesla.

Only thing I missed was having SiriusXM but now I just use the app on the charting pad as like a second screen and Bluetooth the app. Saved me money vs having an active radio too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

The Gunslinger posted:

If this thing had Carplay I would just be all set, I hope Apple eventually shits or gets off pot with their EV efforts. Right now apparently Tesla refuses to adopt either tech because they don't want to give Apple/Google all of their fleet driving info or whatever.

I didn't know this. I depend on Waze for navigating Los Angeles' bad traffic.

This makes me feel better about getting the Kia.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

VideoGameVet posted:

I didn't know this. I depend on Waze for navigating Los Angeles' bad traffic.

This makes me feel better about getting the Kia.

You can always run your phone as a second screen on the wireless charging pad. It’s not ideal but it works.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Bum the Sad posted:

You can always run your phone as a second screen on the wireless charging pad. It’s not ideal but it works.

Uh no. I put up with having the phone mounted on my windshield (Quad Lock) for close to a decade on the Toyota I just sold.

I prefer the larger Apple Car Play screen on the Kia and having a bunch of apps that work with it.

I'm kinda shocked that Tesla doesn't do Apple/Google. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Just use the Tesla navigation then. It’s really good.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bum the Sad posted:

Just use the Tesla navigation then. It’s really good.

And uses Google traffic and routing, IIRC.

Which is the same as Waze, though you do lose the individual instance alerts.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I've been loving the jalopnik articles showing Bradley Brownell mod and fall in love with his $2000 nissan leaf.

https://jalopnik.com/a-set-of-three-spoke-wheels-made-me-love-my-cheap-nissa-1845954289

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MrYenko posted:

And uses Google traffic and routing, IIRC.

Which is the same as Waze, though you do lose the individual instance alerts.

Waze and Google Maps give me quite different routes and ETAs

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Office garage folks have finally figured out that I was charging off of a 110v and turned it off.

I should get them to put in ChargePoint of something. About 1/10 the cars here are EV''s anyway.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

dissss posted:

Waze and Google Maps give me quite different routes and ETAs

Waze had gotten me out of difficult traffic snarls. Google has sent me north on PCH from Sunset when I'm heading south to Carlsbad. Waze's ETA are eerily accurate, on a 108 mile LA/OC/SD drive.

They are not the same.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

Office garage folks have finally figured out that I was charging off of a 110v and turned it off.

I should get them to put in ChargePoint of something. About 1/10 the cars here are EV''s anyway.

If the garage is open to the public, you could probably frame it as "offer an employee perk that can be at least partially subsidized by other drivers after hours". The after hours charging probably won't come close to making a dent in the employee charging, but by the time they see that the chargers will already be installed!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

VideoGameVet posted:

Waze had gotten me out of difficult traffic snarls. Google has sent me north on PCH from Sunset when I'm heading south to Carlsbad. Waze's ETA are eerily accurate, on a 108 mile LA/OC/SD drive.

They are not the same.

Can confirm, and I don't know *why* that would be, since Google bought Waze some time back. I did notice the feature of indicating what lanes you want to be in for a split or exit just showed up on some locations on Waze, while that feature has been on Google Maps for some time. There's definitely not feature parity between the two.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Yeep posted:

I’d be all over a well done Volvo XC70 or Saab 9-5 conversion. It’d be cheaper than the £70k the VW Id Space Vizzion is rumoured to cost too.

the ID space vizzion is gonna roughly track ID4 pricing maybe at a bit of a premium

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

If the garage is open to the public, you could probably frame it as "offer an employee perk that can be at least partially subsidized by other drivers after hours". The after hours charging probably won't come close to making a dent in the employee charging, but by the time they see that the chargers will already be installed!

It's not and the garage management is contracted by the building's owners. So it's not gonna happen.

The good news is they are moving the Corporate Apartment to a location that has ChargePoint stuff.

(note: the current one had them too, but they didn't work with my ChargePoint card)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

So I stumbled onto this free charger in Malibu:

Yeah, this company: https://www.avinc.com

Cool aerospace stuff. Heck I even ran into the founder (Paul B. MacCready) decades ago (1998 or so) when he showed up at a HPV (human powered vehicle) event in Long Beach and showed off the first eBike I ever saw that was a "pedal-assist" thing,

He's the guy who designed the Gossamer Albatross and other cool things: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_MacCready

The charger looked oldish, probabily related to the company's involvement in the design of GM's EV1.

More on that: https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/06/aerovironment-official-charger-of-the-chevy-bolt/

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 31, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VideoGameVet posted:

So I stumbled onto this free charger in Malibu:

Yeah, this company: https://www.avinc.com

Cool aerospace stuff. Heck I even ran into the founder (Paul B. MacCready) decades ago (1998 or so) when he showed up at a HPV (human powered vehicle) event in Long Beach and showed off the first eBike I ever saw that was a "pedal-assist" thing,

He's the guy who designed the Gossamer Albatross and other cool things: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_MacCready

The charger looked oldish, probabily related to the company's involvement in the design of GM's EV1.

More on that: https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/06/aerovironment-official-charger-of-the-chevy-bolt/

Huh. That’s cool as hell, those are the chargers at the local mall.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hey all, just finished a project I started back in April, wiring up 240v to my car port to get level 2 to my leaf.

240v 50 amp circuit with 6/3 direct bury cable
120v 20 amp circuit with direct bury cable
cat6 ethernet with direct bury cable

(now that i've been through it all, I'd probably do conduit for the whole thing)

https://imgur.com/a/11T1nyA

The local PUD is offering 500 bucks if I install a "smart" charger. The stupid portable one that comes with the leaf does 6.6kw which is the car's max anyway, but I could set it to charge at certain times and amounts, which would be nice. Also, other or future cars could charge at up to 42 amps depending on the EVSE i get. Any reccomendations? Here's the PUD site. https://www.snopud.com/?p=3808

edit: hey, what cars charge faster than 6.6kw (~27 amps) on Level 2 power?

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 31, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LRADIKAL posted:

Hey all, just finished a project I started back in April, wiring up 240v to my car port to get level 2 to my leaf.

240v 50 amp circuit with 6/3 direct bury cable
120v 20 amp circuit with direct bury cable
cat6 ethernet with direct bury cable

(now that i've been through it all, I'd probably do conduit for the whole thing)

https://imgur.com/a/11T1nyA

The local PUD is offering 500 bucks if I install a "smart" charger. The stupid portable one that comes with the leaf does 6.6kw which is the car's max anyway, but I could set it to charge at certain times and amounts, which would be nice. Also, other or future cars could charge at up to 42 amps depending on the EVSE i get. Any reccomendations? Here's the PUD site. https://www.snopud.com/?p=3808

edit: hey, what cars charge faster than 6.6kw (~27 amps) on Level 2 power?

Cool. I have a roll of 6/3, a subpanel, and the rest of the things I need to run 240v out to my garage when it gets warmer. I had conduit run out there when it was built which is both nice but also I really am not looking forward to pulling 6/3 through 90° bends in conduit.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I think pretty much all non-Leafs will do > 6.6kw - Teslas can do more 11-16kw depending on model and the Renault Zoe can do 22kw AC (and the originals didn't have any DC at all)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Cool. I have a roll of 6/3, a subpanel, and the rest of the things I need to run 240v out to my garage when it gets warmer. I had conduit run out there when it was built which is both nice but also I really am not looking forward to pulling 6/3 through 90° bends in conduit.

The 6/3 I have is direct bury, which was a real pain. I ended up with 1.5” conduit. I think that actually pulls pretty easy, but the 120 volt I was pulling with it would bind in the corners. Soap helped, but I figured out that taping the cables together at regular intervals kept them from wrapping around each other and binding bad. I was doing rows, holding the cables with my hands and loose conduit with my feet for a while.

Edit: regarding charge rate, 13.2kw would be beyond the capacity of a 50 amp setup as rough math puts 13.2 kw at 52 amps. 9.6kw charge is probably the safe limit for the setup I have @ 40 amps.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 31, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

I think pretty much all non-Leafs will do > 6.6kw - Teslas can do more 11-16kw depending on model and the Renault Zoe can do 22kw AC (and the originals didn't have any DC at all)

Not here in the U.S. You're quoting the 3 phase numbers.

Enel X is the Juicebox I believe, which is pretty popular.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

pulling 6/3 through 90° bends in conduit.

Try 2-2-2-4 AL direct bury wire.... Ran that to my detached garage. Getting it into the fittings and into the panels on either end... was... a bitch.. to put it lightly.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

stevewm posted:

Try 2-2-2-4 AL direct bury wire.... Ran that to my detached garage. Getting it into the fittings and into the panels on either end... was... a bitch.. to put it lightly.

How far away is your garage that the economics of aluminum make more sense than copper??

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

How far away is your garage that the economics of aluminum make more sense than copper??

Because it was free :D

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

stevewm posted:

Because it was free :D

Now that makes sense!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

Now that makes sense!

My work sells electrical supplies. We have bulk rolls of common wire types that are sold by the foot. We sometimes have bits left over on those large rolls that no one wants. They get saved in a bin. Work was cleaning the bin out, and I wanted a 80-100A subpanel in my garage.(the builders cheaped out and didn't wire the garage :mad: ) So I ended up with some free 2 gauge USE-2 AL wire.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Finger Prince posted:

Al is pretty much always cheaper than the equivalent copper though?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Al is pretty much always cheaper than the equivalent copper though?

Yeah but you need thicker gauge for the load which makes it a pain to work with and if you're only running like 50' like does it really matter? Like you're gonna save $50 to charge your $50k car.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh yeah, I never use Al for that exact reason.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh, there were early Model Ses with 2 40amp chargers (19.2kW), and later a 72amp charger (17.2kW). I know there are some cars with 7200w and 9600w chargers but I don't know which off the top of my head. Most are limited to 6.6kW though and some even as low as 3.3kW.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah but you need thicker gauge for the load which makes it a pain to work with and if you're only running like 50' like does it really matter? Like you're gonna save $50 to charge your $50k car.

Yeah I was going to get some copper. But the AL was offered to me for free, as was the sub panel I used. So AL it was! Yes it was a bitch to install, but that was a one time annoyance.

The permit I had to get from the county office cost more than the materials.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Welp my cousin just bought a brand new 2020 Bolt. Got to drive it around for awhile today. I'm sold.

She got a gray LT with all the option packages and fast charging. So it has everything but Lane keep assist for cheaper than I got my LT Volt for.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

stevewm posted:

Welp my cousin just bought a brand new 2020 Bolt. Got to drive it around for awhile today. I'm sold.

She got a gray LT with all the option packages and fast charging. So it has everything but Lane keep assist for cheaper than I got my LT Volt for.

Its such a fun little car! She's not missing anything but not having LKA, it's super trash here

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Honestly yeah, driving my significant other's Bolt poisons me when going back to my Volt. Quicker acceleration, and true one pedal driving are addicting. It's such a great car!

The deals for them are insane, you can get them as low as 20-22k new and fully loaded.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Westy543 posted:

Honestly yeah, driving my significant other's Bolt poisons me when going back to my Volt. Quicker acceleration, and true one pedal driving are addicting. It's such a great car!

The deals for them are insane, you can get them as low as 20-22k new and fully loaded.

i didn't realize it would come to a full stop in L. Was delighted to find that out. Same with the Regen paddle.

The dealer she bought it from had several with the same config. Said they can't keep them and usually sell each shipment in just a couple days.

I might be taking a drive there later today...

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Charles posted:

Oh, there were early Model Ses with 2 40amp chargers (19.2kW), and later a 72amp charger (17.2kW). I know there are some cars with 7200w and 9600w chargers but I don't know which off the top of my head. Most are limited to 6.6kW though and some even as low as 3.3kW.

New Tesla’s are 11+ kw still. But, I think the practical difference between 6kw charging at home and anything faster is pretty minimal, can’t imagine very many situations where fast home charging would help you out but a quick stop at a dc charger wouldn’t make more sense.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

sanchez posted:

New Tesla’s are 11+ kw still. But, I think the practical difference between 6kw charging at home and anything faster is pretty minimal, can’t imagine very many situations where fast home charging would help you out but a quick stop at a dc charger wouldn’t make more sense.

- Charge during dinner before dropping kids off at (activity).
- Charge after work before going to (social occasion).
- Friends can stay a little longer when visiting because they don't have to budget in a fast charging stop on the way home.

All of these opportunities are charging when the car is parked anyway, rather than charging when you would rather be traveling and forcing you to wait. Quicker home charging enables more activities with less total battery capacity (and therefore cheaper and lighter car).

I realise COVID makes most of these irrelevant, but let's hope the world returns to something like normal, then they could happen.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Don’t forget having a limited window when the price per kWh is lowest, a lower charge rate might force you to spill out into the more expensive rates.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

S/X gets delivered with 16.5 kW or 17 kW chargers, 3/Y it depends on the trim level iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla has used a few different onboard charger configs, I think some had up to 80 amps possible. But they've standardized across their line now. Only the "standard range" 3 has a lower power charger (7.7kw/32 amp, which is the max the mobile connector can deliver). Everything else in the Tesla lineup has a 11.5kw/48 amp charger, but you'd need to install a wall connector to deliver it to the car. https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/onboard-charger

I debated the whole charge speed thing with myself, but settled on just doing some 50 amp plugs (and charging at the 32amps of the mobile connector). We're withing 15-30 miles of a handful of superchargers, with another one supposed to go in pretty close, so even in a worst case scenario with a nearly empty battery, it's not a long time to charge to be able to get to one and really quickly charge.