Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I want to design death trap theme parks that feed unwitting tourists to dinosaurs in funny ways. Can I do that in this or is it serious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
epic is down for me. people like dinosaurs, i guess.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

spaceblancmange posted:

I want to design death trap theme parks that feed unwitting tourists to dinosaurs in funny ways. Can I do that in this or is it serious?

I share your dreams, but what about the herbivores?

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Sword Legacy Omen added to Twitch/Amazon Prime today. Looks like turn based strategy RPG.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JustJeff88 posted:

I share your dreams, but what about the herbivores?

The carnivores poo poo the humans and the compost is used to fertilize the plants the herbivores eat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rinkles posted:

epic is down for me. people like dinosaurs, i guess.

Yeah it's been giving me an error for hours now

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Free is the right price for Jurassic World Evolution. I got it on Steam a few weeks ago, I normally love park builders, but JWE is boring as poo poo. The sandbox mode is locked behind completing objectives in the story mode, but story mode is mostly waiting around for money to build back up while a bunch of voice-clips ramble at you.

Thankfully I realized I hated the game in under 2 hours so I was able to get it refunded. Not sure if I'm going to bother picking it up again for free. But maybe those of you who aren't as jaded and still have a love for dinosaurs will get a kick out of the game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ZearothK posted:

The carnivores poo poo the humans and the compost is used to fertilize the plants the herbivores eat.

You are just thinking on a whole other level.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

spaceblancmange posted:

Hope that this gets a digital version some day. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/290722/danger-park

E:

Misread the dinosaur park part. Oh well, happy new year. :yotj:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Can I "accidently" demolish the fence separating the velociraptors from the park guests?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Can I "accidently" demolish the fence separating the velociraptors from the park guests?

yes. In fact, there's a mission chain that asks you to let the dinosaurs break free that's a requirement to opening up the Wu DLC. One of the park upgrades is better lawyers, too, which lowers the cost of lawsuits against your park. Game is fully prepared for you to get bored and watch tourists not make it to shelter in time.

I also have the opposite take from Eh! Frank, I love JW because it actually has you doing things instead of sitting around. The constant set of quests keep you occupied on specific buildings/goals while the park generates money and I never really felt like I was waiting around all that much for cash (especially once you realize that fossil inventory is shared, so if your cash flow is bad/negative you can go to an island flush with cash and send out digs to get sellable junk/fossils, then go to your troubled island and sell. Same with reasearch - once you have built the research center on the island, the new researches are open so you can go to an island flush in cash and research from there.

EDIT: also, the Secrets of Dr. Wu DLC is the one you want if you want gene-splicing and dead tourists. The deluxe DLC is the biggest waste of money, followed by the carnivore pack (you don't really run a lot of carnivore's because you can't pack them together, and they're almost entirely reskins (minor speciation, things like the dracoraptor) that also add almost no extra dino-rating. The other Dino DLC's aren't worth it unless you want to see a bunch of similar dinosaurs. The other two big DLC's are not terrible, the Claire saves the dinos one is a weird mission based DLC rather than a park simulator that doesn't fit with the rest of the game very well and the return to Jurassic Park lets you try to succeed where Dr. Hammond failed with the original Jurassic Park (probably the most "content" in a DLC, but also the most expensive)

TheAnomaly fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 1, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Missed Night in the Woods and Solitarica :smith:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
EGS' next free game on the 7th-14th is Crying Suns which is an absolutely fantastic space-based roguelike in the vein of FTL and should not be missed.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Fuzz posted:

Missed Night in the Woods and Solitarica :smith:
Night in the Woods was in the itch.io bundle for racial justice and equality

which i forgot and thus bought again on Steam between the bundle and the epic giveaway, no regrets

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Sword Legacy: Omen just got added to Prime Gaming

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256725406/movie480.webm?t=1534171206

Also, a reminder, a whole bunch of the free SNK games on Prime expire tonight.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 1, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JustJeff88 posted:

I did claim a copy of the game, but will almost certainly never play it. Not surprised that it's the product of the shittier half of the team, however.

RCT1 and 2 are games that I love but am utterly terrible at, but me liking them is remarkable because I generally don't like business-sim games. These games just have an aesthetic about them that is colourful and full of levity that really clicks for me. I went so far as to buy a copy of the game for the original Xbox (RCT1 with all the expansions, and amazingly a multilingual version from an era when that was not common), but it was just not playable with a controller. That said, I find the games very hard because, rather than having a "reach this milestone at any time within x years to complete the scenario win condition, it's usually structured as "make sure that these conditions are satisfied at the exact moment that the scenario ends", which I find very difficult as it leads to unintuitive gameplay and Dead Man Walking scenarios that can go on for hours of in-game time. The fact that I struggle to build good coasters and the game forces that in real time also displeases me.

Sorry that small rant there, but I've found myself recently thinking about why I both love and resent these games so much while also being saddened that they have not put out a decent one since 2004. I didn't like RCT3 nearly as much as 1 and 2, but given what came after 3 is a rock star.

Try Parkitect.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Looks like that Jurassic Park game is free all week of you thought you missed it.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/jurassic-world-evolution/home

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

JustJeff88 posted:

I did claim a copy of the game, but will almost certainly never play it. Not surprised that it's the product of the shittier half of the team, however.

RCT1 and 2 are games that I love but am utterly terrible at, but me liking them is remarkable because I generally don't like business-sim games. These games just have an aesthetic about them that is colourful and full of levity that really clicks for me. I went so far as to buy a copy of the game for the original Xbox (RCT1 with all the expansions, and amazingly a multilingual version from an era when that was not common), but it was just not playable with a controller. That said, I find the games very hard because, rather than having a "reach this milestone at any time within x years to complete the scenario win condition, it's usually structured as "make sure that these conditions are satisfied at the exact moment that the scenario ends", which I find very difficult as it leads to unintuitive gameplay and Dead Man Walking scenarios that can go on for hours of in-game time. The fact that I struggle to build good coasters and the game forces that in real time also displeases me.

Sorry that small rant there, but I've found myself recently thinking about why I both love and resent these games so much while also being saddened that they have not put out a decent one since 2004. I didn't like RCT3 nearly as much as 1 and 2, but given what came after 3 is a rock star.

I don't know if it would help you, but OpenRCT at some point added "early scenario completion" to it's giant list of improvements/additions to the base game

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I don't know if it would help you, but OpenRCT at some point added "early scenario completion" to it's giant list of improvements/additions to the base game

It also adds a fast-forward function with multiple speeds so you don't have to sit waiting for hours of real-world time to pass. And an online multiplayer mode that turns the game into a completely different experience that rules as just as thing to have someone keep running for days or weeks and share the login with your Discord and just get to have people pop in and see what's happened since last time and make their own changes. And a designated cheats menu.

OpenRCT is incredibly easy to set up and use and all the little features and improvements it adds while letting you merge all the different games into one single shared application are great with no real downside so you should absolutely use it if you ever feel some 2d RCT nostalgia. https://openrct2.org/

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It also adds a fast-forward function with multiple speeds so you don't have to sit waiting for hours of real-world time to pass. And an online multiplayer mode that turns the game into a completely different experience that rules as just as thing to have someone keep running for days or weeks and share the login with your Discord and just get to have people pop in and see what's happened since last time and make their own changes. And a designated cheats menu.

OpenRCT is incredibly easy to set up and use and all the little features and improvements it adds while letting you merge all the different games into one single shared application are great with no real downside so you should absolutely use it if you ever feel some 2d RCT nostalgia. https://openrct2.org/

I have OpenRCT installed since it combines 1 and 2 and ups the resolution, but I had no idea that hese were options. Thank you!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1346139507842719745?s=20

Void Bastards is a big one.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Woah, that's like "in a premium humble bundle" kind of level.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

I genuinely thought I was in the PYF Procedurally Generated Content thread looking at a list of video game names that an AI had written for a moment there.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Well poo poo. I just bought Void Bastards. Worth it though. The game owns.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Crying Suns is free on EGS this week

Next week they're giving away Star Wars Battlefront 2: Celebration Edition

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

For context, Celebration Edition includes basically all the IAP content from the first two years of the game's life.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Waffleman_ posted:

For context, Celebration Edition includes basically all the IAP content from the first two years of the game's life.

Is that game still active?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

According to Steamcharts at least, it's still pretty active.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I imagine it will be quite active after everybody gets it for free.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
And think of the value of all those emotes and victory poses.
Worth millions

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

repiv posted:

Crying Suns is free on EGS this week

Cannot suggest this game highly enough.
(Praise Oberon)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Is this the new one? The one that came under fire because of lootboxes?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

repiv posted:

Next week they're giving away Star Wars Battlefront 2: Celebration Edition

Jeez i just bought this during the steam sale

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

Is this the new one? The one that came under fire because of lootboxes?

Yeah, it's the new one. Apparently they dropped real money loot boxes a couple years ago and don't have anything in them that impacts gameplay.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, it's the new one. Apparently they dropped real money loot boxes a couple years ago and don't have anything in them that impacts gameplay.

And EGS is giving it away for free? That's crazy, and you can bet I'll be there, complaining that the servers are down and I can't get my copy and that it's not fair I even paid by giving them my e-mail address and

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Can someone explain the "hero appearances" part of that description. Is it a skin? Are they saying you get 25 random skins of important characters, with those 3 guaranteed?

Or are they like summons? Wasn't that part of the old loot box stuff, like you'd get to play as an important character 1 in a 100 matches or some poo poo? What is that

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ZearothK posted:

Is that game still active?

It has an OK single-player campaign too. Not outstanding, but fun and short enough that it doesn't wear out its welcome.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

elf help book posted:

Can someone explain the "hero appearances" part of that description. Is it a skin? Are they saying you get 25 random skins of important characters, with those 3 guaranteed?

Or are they like summons? Wasn't that part of the old loot box stuff, like you'd get to play as an important character 1 in a 100 matches or some poo poo? What is that

The hero units all had skins like Old Han, Younger Han etc. I'm not sure how many there is total without looking in depth into the edition contents though. Hero units are almost always in play during a match though because they just get point bought like any other high power unit after a time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So in the game, you have to earn 4000 Battle Points from playing the game to be able to play as a hero or villain. The Celebration Edition unlocks all the heroes and villains plus their alternate costumes so that when you can play as a hero, you can play as any one you want without having to lootbox for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I think I understand, I don't play games like that, thank you both