Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The thought of the general public on the line is greatly amusing and terrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Stringent posted:

Do any of you have any experience with small co-ops (as an owner)? I've always wondered how that would work for food service.

Do you mean to ask how someone who initially put capital into a restaurant is now seeking to convert to a co op? Or how the workers convince the owner to help them become a co op?

Theres no owner after its a co op.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Coasterphreak posted:

I'm gonna guess that it's a pizza delivery franchise which means no alcohol sales and DEFINITELY no alcohol on premises. Plus the fact that the driver dropped it off as a "tip" probably indicates that this guy took over a store where drivers were routinely delivering under the influence (with management approval) so I get the reaction.

And when you spray paint ceiling tiles, you're supposed to do it outside. Yes, it's really dumb and rarely worth the effort, but if the owner is a cheapskate then sometimes it's the only option when you can't get grease stains out.

I think most of this guy's stress is because he's two weeks into fixing a store and is beginning to wrap his head around just how hosed it is...

(fire everyone, start over bro)

We're actually doing great, too. Hitting all the numbers we need to for bonuses, and my other two managers are projected to take in $225 each and $325 for me each check. if we keep this up.

This tile was not painted because it was too greasy to clean. It was silver in color, and I wanted it to match. No, we are not taking down regular ceiling tiles and spray painting them.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Scarodactyl posted:

Yeahhhhhh is it ever normal procedure to spray paint ceiling tiles?

This type http://5prorwxhpkqmjik.ldycdn.com/cloud/ojBqqKnlRinSllijkrio/geshan2.jpg

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

droll posted:

Do you mean to ask how someone who initially put capital into a restaurant is now seeking to convert to a co op? Or how the workers convince the owner to help them become a co op?

Theres no owner after its a co op.

I don't know to be honest. I'm curious about anything that's going.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Theres a d n d forums poster that seems to educate and help form co ops as their job. I'm waiting for a PM reply on how I can help an owner I know make that transition but haven't heard back yet. I'm interested to learn too, FOH seem like they'd be the last to show solidarity and move towards a more equitable and democratic system. If anyone else has some knowledge on this I'm all ears.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

parthenocarpy posted:

We're actually doing great, too. Hitting all the numbers we need to for bonuses, and my other two managers are projected to take in $225 each and $325 for me each check. if we keep this up.

That's great, bud! now chill the gently caress out.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Mithross posted:

I got my start in a restaurant that was just opening with new owners (lots of business and industry experience, but never the owner before). My first day in a professional kitchen was opening night actually. Anyway...

They started out as idealized caring bosses, strict as poo poo when the place was slammed but going out of their way to care for the employees. By the time I left six years later they had driven multiple employees away by being huge jerks, they were taking a share of tips, all the little extras had melted away...

I also had that, and my boss always had my back about anything regarding family etc. If my mother was sick, of course take the time you need. On the other hand the only way to survive there was to have a very long history of emotional abuse, and even then people walked. It can be both extremes and no middle ground.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My place has shut down due to a covid outbreak. :witch:

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Management are good hearted sellouts at best, the sworn loving enemy of the worker at worst, and always only to be trusted so much. That said I'm where I am at still, solely because the money isn't the worst I'd find in this town, and the management are the closest to good people in my judge-y lil eyes as I'll likely come across. Especially during these lovely plague times...
[/soapbox]

nudejedi fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 9, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/mtvcell/status/1337835240727908354?s=20

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Trip to the burn ward in 3... 2...

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
That's boil out, the dense foam gives it away.

(that said, giving the fryer pot a thermal shock like that is a great way to destroy it)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://twitter.com/DylanLathrop/status/1340690817216729089

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I am old and don't use apps and not quite sure what's going on there, but what I do know is that when I think about a tasty burger, "crispy" is not an adjective that comes to mind.

(I mean I like a nice sear with fond for days on my rare burgs, but "crispy" just says "hockey puck" to me)

Edit: also that reaction gif is awesome, gotta save that one

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 20, 2020

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
burgers and chips are kinda lovely for delivery anyway. also uber riders getting killed doin their job while earning peanuts is super poo poo.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I am old and don't use apps and not quite sure what's going on there, but what I do know is that when I think about a tasty burger, "crispy" is not an adjective that comes to mind.

(I mean I like a nice sear with fond for days on my rare burgs, but "crispy" just says "hockey puck" to me)

Edit: also that reaction gif is awesome, gotta save that one

He's basically making a menu that'll order respective burgers from local chains that about hit the bill and take a cut. Parasitic but it's SV.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

He's basically making a menu that'll order respective burgers from local chains that about hit the bill and take a cut. Parasitic but it's SV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_kitchen

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Okay, that's totally hosed up. Do the restaurants know this is happening, or could my store potentially start getting:

NASHVILLE
*SUB BUN
*MAYO
*KETCHUP
*WHATEVER ELSE IS ON THAT ABOMINATION

tickets without knowing why?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

I doubt it, he's likely just partnered with ghost kitchens that are already set up. Kitchens that have no dining room, and exist exclusively to be ordered off of 3rd party apps, and usually have anywhere from 3 to 20 different "restaurants" working out of the same space. They're not ordering food from other places and marking it up, they reduce their overhead and partner with the third party apps to lower their costs so that they can undercut everyone in the area because they have 12 different "restaurants" working with a crew of 10 people.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
The funnier online only brands are the ones that operate out of actual restaurant kitchens, like It's Just Wings, which is ordering chicken wings online made at your local Chili's....expect there is no indication anywhere that you're ordering from Chili's.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Naelyan posted:

I doubt it, he's likely just partnered with ghost kitchens that are already set up. Kitchens that have no dining room, and exist exclusively to be ordered off of 3rd party apps, and usually have anywhere from 3 to 20 different "restaurants" working out of the same space. They're not ordering food from other places and marking it up, they reduce their overhead and partner with the third party apps to lower their costs so that they can undercut everyone in the area because they have 12 different "restaurants" working with a crew of 10 people.

I looked up the one that Grubhub said would deliver to me, and it would be coming from a Bravo Italian Kitchen. Reddit says they're coming from Bravo, Buca di Beppo, and Bettucini’s. So not exactly ghost kitchens, but more like when Chuck E Cheese was selling pizza as Pasquale's earlier this year.

I know I certainly think of burgers when I look at Italian restaurants!

Edit: OF COURSE there's a whole rear end company that is doing nothing but this. Gotta love (I'm guessing) VC funded garbage. https://www.virtualdiningconcepts.com/

esperantinc fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 21, 2020

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

It's bad, yo
https://themargins.substack.com/p/doordash-and-pizza-arbitrage

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

eSports Chaebol posted:

The funnier online only brands are the ones that operate out of actual restaurant kitchens, like It's Just Wings, which is ordering chicken wings online made at your local Chili's....expect there is no indication anywhere that you're ordering from Chili's.

The most amazing of these is "Pasqually's Pizza," which is Chuck E. Cheese. A couple of restaurants near me do a low-key version, offering a special or limited menu under a different name, like my local really good Chinese place that offered dry pot in the restaurant, but never offered it for delivery, and now there's a sporadically-available dry-pot-only restaurant at the same address.

There are two or three ghost kitchens in my neighborhood, and they seem to rotate concepts pretty frequently (and some of them will often have identical concepts at the same time, for instance a pair of cheesesteak places with different names in different locations (one of which I know to be a ghost) but the exact same menu popped up in the same week). I've taken a flyer once or twice and their food has been reliably terrible, and now if I'm eating off an app, and I see a new restaurant, I check the address for a known ghost kitchen and if there are any other restaurants with the exact same menu. I take either as a red flag and keep away.

It's a pity, because especially in NYC and especially now, a delivery-only restaurant is a GOOD IDEA. But SV extractionism has to taint everything.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

Doordash/Grubhub scraped the website and listed for delivery a place I used to work at except they somehow got an outdated, unlisted version with different menu items and prices but just close enough for a few days orders to sneak in. Zero contact with the restaurant of course. The delivery drivers or whoever placed the orders seemed to take a "close enough" mentality when they contacted the restaurant. The staff figured it out and got the listing taken down after a customer called asking for a refund for their hosed up order under a different name using "the website" but it was supremely cool of them to generate a bunch of bad reviews and messed up orders as they transitioned to takeout in March.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Apparently the one Buca di Beppo location in NC is participating, and it's like 20 minutes from my house.

This may require further research.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The local hot dog/burger chain Doghaus has a similar doordash-only spinoff called Bad rear end Burritos that does only breakfast burritos. tbh they're quite good so I didn't know it was a problem.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
In Oakland there was a food delivery service that had a very small menu that changed every day and you would order online and it'd show up in 20 minutes. It established itself enough that it was making a profit in under two years which is good for any restaurant let alone this completely new thing, it's before Ubereats, et al, it's when delivery almost always meant pizza or chinese.

People who created it were silicon valley fuckers hoping for VC cash and not just an account book in the black so they shut it the gently caress down.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Hi friends,

I come in here too infrequently to be anyone of note anymore. Truly I was all set to jump ship from my cushy alcohol distributor job and just, live, maaaan. It was the one dream I had that actually helped me set my finances in order (better late than never at 40 lol). That was last year, to pull the ripcord this July. WELP

Had been working remotely since this all began, and actually got a new job in October.. another wine gig, but now for a supplier doing Excel poo poo for the USA operations. Instead of looking at sales just in NYC now my world is all the Targets and Walmarts across the nation. Makes me half-assedly conjure up that scene from Contact.. something something small and insignificant, something something unqiue and precious. And to see that scene here in NYC crushed is absolutely heartbreaking. I cant imagine how it is for the rest. I get to see the Nielsens and other data now.. on premise business off 60% or more.

Anyway really I just came in to ask some dumb Excel question because I dont want to deal with reddit and well it would be remiss to see y'all at the party and not walk over and say hi. gently caress 2020 seriously.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Hey man, the supply side may be the dark side, but we have health insurance and cookies. Glad you’re rocking well!

And yeah NYC on premise is boned.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Hi friend -- you're still a distributor type yeah? Or you used to be? Somewhere in the middle?

I remember this used to be the most stressful week.. well truly it was the first day back in the new year, trying to reconcile all the supposed end of year sales numbers. Now I'd say half the team takes this week off. We talk in powerpoints and decks, but of course it's work so there's still always some level of bs. But yeah the pay and the people are overall much nicer. I'm working at a mid-sized supplier that is part of a European conglomerate which itself is part of an even bigger conglomerate.. so the soullessness is still inherent, but until I am financially stable enough to just fade into a tiny bar in a foreign country forever, I must continue summing and counting and vlookuping.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

Hi friend -- you're still a distributor type yeah? Or you used to be? Somewhere in the middle?

I remember this used to be the most stressful week.. well truly it was the first day back in the new year, trying to reconcile all the supposed end of year sales numbers. Now I'd say half the team takes this week off. We talk in powerpoints and decks, but of course it's work so there's still always some level of bs. But yeah the pay and the people are overall much nicer. I'm working at a mid-sized supplier that is part of a European conglomerate which itself is part of an even bigger conglomerate.. so the soullessness is still inherent, but until I am financially stable enough to just fade into a tiny bar in a foreign country forever, I must continue summing and counting and vlookuping.

Supply for some of your former competitors favorite products in distilled spirits. This week this year is a wash, I’m visiting the in-laws. It’s all over but the paperwork.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Goddamn my Excel skills have atrophied so much. And to be fair, loving everyone is getting crushed off and on. Every governor wants to reopen because the feds hosed up the response so bad fiscally, so we just keep whipsawing back and forth between "It's over! Reopen!" and "Our hospitals are full! We're hosed!" Houston is getting wrecked right now, but at least mask usage in my part of town is very good.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 30, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Just wanted to wish my industry peeps a Happy New Year. My heart goes out to all the bar/FOH folks who used to rely on all the sick tips tonight; here in VA bars close at ten, so no more walking out at 2am with hundreds of $$$ cash.

We in BOH got hosed because tomorrow is a bank holiday, and even though we got checks today, they're dated for tomorrow, when banks are closed. So many of my peeps don't have bank accounts, and cash them, and now they're hosed if they live paycheck to paycheck. One last "gently caress you" from 2020. :(

I'm also looking forward to getting zero sleep tonight, because I have to wake up at 4:30am to be at work at 5:30, and we do so love the fireworks in VA. I can go to bed at 10 like usual, but I guarantee I'll be getting like 3 hours of sporadic sleep, tops.

Anyway, my best to all of you working and not working tonight/tomorrow morning. Y'all rock, and may 2021 shine upon ya. Love ya, industry thread. Happy New Year!

casque
Mar 17, 2009

We in BOH got hosed because tomorrow is a bank holiday, and even though we got checks today, they're dated for tomorrow, when banks are closed. So many of my peeps don't have bank accounts, and cash them, and now they're hosed if they live paycheck to paycheck. One last "gently caress you" from 2020. :(

If the bank's open today, go cash them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Just wanted to wish my industry peeps a Happy New Year. My heart goes out to all the bar/FOH folks who used to rely on all the sick tips tonight; here in VA bars close at ten, so no more walking out at 2am with hundreds of $$$ cash.

I'm also looking forward to getting zero sleep tonight, because I have to wake up at 4:30am to be at work at 5:30, and we do so love the fireworks in VA. I can go to bed at 10 like usual, but I guarantee I'll be getting like 3 hours of sporadic sleep, tops.

Anyway, my best to all of you working and not working tonight/tomorrow morning. Y'all rock, and may 2021 shine upon ya. Love ya, industry thread. Happy New Year!

Grocery stores used to let you cash checks many many years ago, do they still?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Walmart too when I used to get paid with checks even when I had a bank account I'd cash it at Walmart and then deposit the cash otherwise the bank would put a "hold" on the deposit for 7-10 days for some reason.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

Walmart too when I used to get paid with checks even when I had a bank account I'd cash it at Walmart and then deposit the cash otherwise the bank would put a "hold" on the deposit for 7-10 days for some reason.

That poo poo is so terrible (the putting a hold on a check thing) and almost hilarious in retrospect now that I can just take a picture of a check and the money is in my bank account.

Like one time I couldn't pay a bar tab because I hadn't deposited my pay check yet and I did that at the bar and 5 minutes later my debit card went through.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Usually only a percentage will be available immediately, with the rest available a day or three later. Definitely depends on the bank, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FFT posted:

Usually only a percentage will be available immediately, with the rest available a day or three later. Definitely depends on the bank, though.

I've been using credit unions for awhile and I've always gotten at least 500 bucks available immediately.

If possible always go with a credit union instead of a bank.