Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Race Realists posted:

https://twitter.com/ChurchOfGame/status/1344776329405878272?s=19

it's 2020 and they're still using that Fine Young Capitalist bullshit

wasn't GG right around when SA was a notable part of pushing jailbait crap off reddit? that's the closest i've ever been to being proud of this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think i started on SA around 2015-16 so im actually curious what role SA had in gamergate. ive seen people as recently as a few months ago in the games subforum defend gamergate/act incredulous when posters called it a rightwing hate campaign so that leads me to believe that SA played some role in it

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kanine posted:

i think i started on SA around 2015-16 so im actually curious what role SA had in gamergate. ive seen people as recently as a few months ago in the games subforum defend gamergate/act incredulous when posters called it a rightwing hate campaign so that leads me to believe that SA played some role in it

I was there when the person tried to start up the thread re. Quinn. They were laughed off the forum. It's undeniable that there are psycho nutters here as well, but even back in the day, people were against it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hodgepodge posted:

wasn't GG right around when SA was a notable part of pushing jailbait crap off reddit? that's the closest i've ever been to being proud of this place.

I think GG was several years earlier

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the original gg person carpet bombed just about every forum and social media platform you could think of with his garbage. it was almost instantly deleted on here and the poster banned but other places have proven much more fertile soil for it. can't believe anyone would still be getting agitated by that poo poo so many years later.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I still, to this day, refuse to read details about gamergate, how it started or what it was all about. I just know it's phenomenally stupid

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Kanine posted:

can somebody explain to me the point of the Hellthread exactly?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Race Realists posted:

Containment, wasn't it? Since the topic kept coming up endlessly everywhere in every forum and was constantly derailing everything. The alternative would have been to ban anyone who couldn't leave it alone but that would have eliminated about a third of the goon community.

I didn't read it but I recall the general take on the forums was that it was a garbage fire.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
you see, gamergate is a lot like homestuck,

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the general tone the mod staff here took towards GG at the time was "we don't want to hear anything for or against it, we'll probe/ban you for discussing it at all"

I personally have always known GG was bad, for all the good it's done anyone

also Race Realists please stop posting 0-engagement creepoid tweets in here

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

there was originally a thread in gbs about Zoe Quinn and the whole cucking situation back when it was just internet weirdo drama, before it had coalesced into any kind of movement or had any kind of agenda. it was up for a long tim and ended up very long. gradually though people started to realize that this was part of some weirdo’s vendetta and then it got really political and that was pretty much the end.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Containment, wasn't it? Since the topic kept coming up endlessly everywhere in every forum and was constantly derailing everything. The alternative would have been to ban anyone who couldn't leave it alone but that would have eliminated about a third of the goon community.

I didn't read it but I recall the general take on the forums was that it was a garbage fire.

Basically this. The fire was burning miles away but the smoke still crept in here, so to speak. Nowhere that didn't explicitly and unequivocally ban discussion of it very early on was untouched by it. The degree to which it may or may not have influenced national elections in any given place in the world is overstated, but anywhere with even a whiff of video games discussion had some talk about GG happening.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The bit where it was declared open season to post goatse was pretty good

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
isnt there still one of the subforums on sa that's got a bunch of rightwing users and loves making GBS threads on cspam? cant remember which one tho

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
its seen as a cultural watershed by the right, way more than the left. most of them probably think it was whatever gamegaters tell them it was about, and have no idea that no one else was sure what they were on about except that it was all hateful drama

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Hodgepodge posted:

its seen as a cultural watershed by the right, way more than the left. most of them probably think it was whatever gamegaters tell them it was about, and have no idea that no one else was sure what they were on about except that it was all hateful drama

It validated a number of bugbears common to the right wing psyche, namely

1) the promiscuous Modern Woman who uses her wiles to cheat her way to success;
2) the fundamental mistrust of media authority to validate and launder cultural objects by raising mediocre work to high artistic praise;
3) a man wounded, cuckolded because he lacked the material advantages afforded by being able to provide specific benefit to the career advancement of (1);
4) an ethics and morality play which put the entire world* at stake, in which they could participate and foster the dramatic tension

*Video games

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kanine posted:

isnt there still one of the subforums on sa that's got a bunch of rightwing users and loves making GBS threads on cspam? cant remember which one tho

Nah, Ask/Tell has calmed down in recent years

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Race Realists posted:

- there were a few people who really, really wanted to talk about gamergate
- nobody liked them
- they would not shut the gently caress up ever

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Kanine posted:

yep, it is called cspam

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

you see, gamergate is a lot like homestuck,
more like covid. you have to aggressively stomp it out before it spreads and infects others

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
There's some sort of offsite where people read through cspam to make fun of posts but making fun of posts is 99% of what happens here anyway so idk why they bother with the offsite.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Heath posted:

It validated a number of bugbears common to the right wing psyche, namely

1) the promiscuous Modern Woman who uses her wiles to cheat her way to success;
2) the fundamental mistrust of media authority to validate and launder cultural objects by raising mediocre work to high artistic praise;
3) a man wounded, cuckolded because he lacked the material advantages afforded by being able to provide specific benefit to the career advancement of (1);
4) an ethics and morality play which put the entire world* at stake, in which they could participate and foster the dramatic tension

*Video games

they would never admit it, but it was also about wanting safe spaces to express and perform their understanding of masculinity (and not confront how broken and dysfunctional that understanding has become)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Kanine posted:

Debate & Discussion, where both of the eponymous activities are verboten unless they tie back to how wonderful America's fascist right-wing party is. No, the other one.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

I still, to this day, refuse to read details about gamergate, how it started or what it was all about. I just know it's phenomenally stupid

you probably should, there’s been a couple retrospectives recently because I think we just passed 10 years since it kicked off.

there’s a long thread that ties the tactics of gamergate back to the present day internet, modern politics and the self destruction of isolated white males. a lot poo poo today was crafted and honed in the GG harassment campaigns.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

FCKGW posted:

you probably should, there’s been a couple retrospectives recently because I think we just passed 10 years since it kicked off.

there’s a long thread that ties the tactics of gamergate back to the present day internet, modern politics and the self destruction of isolated white males. a lot poo poo today was crafted and honed in the GG harassment campaigns.

it kicked off in 2014, so it’s actually going on 500 years now

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Wasn't that was the first domino that basically wiped out the white male Internet Atheist communities too. Tons of them hopped on gamergate because it applied to their core ideas of women bad and "purity" of ethics, and as it fizzled and their fan-base shrunk all those so called rationalist thinkers turned into a bunch of tiki torch alt-righters real fast.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

pentyne posted:

Wasn't that was the first domino that basically wiped out the white male Internet Atheist communities too. Tons of them hopped on gamergate because it applied to their core ideas of women bad and "purity" of ethics, and as it fizzled and their fan-base shrunk all those so called rationalist thinkers turned into a bunch of tiki torch alt-righters real fast.

I think this is usually considered to be Elevatorgate, in which Rebecca Watson posted "hey I was at this skeptic con and when I said I was going to bed a guy followed me into the elevator and repeatedly hit on me, that was creepy, don't do that" and a bunch of internet atheist dudes lost 100% of their poo poo.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Wasn’t Steve Bannon involved in appropriating and weaponizing it?

And also Adam Baldwin lol!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

pentyne posted:

it makes sense internet atheists could be seen as right wingers trying to purge the religious angle they didn’t like, but the Alt right basically did that for them As it turned Christianity from a religion but a culture that needs to be protected from everyone else

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Race Realists posted:

https://twitter.com/ChurchOfGame/status/1344776329405878272?s=19

it's 2020 and they're still using that Fine Young Capitalist bullshit

0 likes or retweets so how do you even see this poo poo or post it here

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Slamhound posted:

Wasn’t Steve Bannon involved in appropriating and weaponizing it?

And also Adam Baldwin lol!

yeah

Adam Baldwin was the best Baldwin before Gamergate broke his brain

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So he was just being himself when he played Jayne Cobb, I’ve suspected that for a while.

Doomtalker
Dec 10, 2019

Icon Of Sin posted:

So he was just being himself when he played Jayne Cobb, I’ve suspected that for a while.

That's a fact, the rest of the cast loving despises him

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Gamergate is notable for just how many lovely alt-right, breitbart, and reactionary right-wing figures rose to prominence via it and have continued on through trumpism to this day. For example, the owner of The Escapist, Alexander Macris, who worked hard to mainstream gamergate via his discussion boards, is now the latest delusional idiot to go ride or die on trump's coup attempt.

Filthy Hans posted:

Adam Baldwin was the best Baldwin before Gamergate broke his brain
Adam Baldwin was writing editorials for Breitbart about how gay marriage will destroy America and pushing anti-vaccination on his co-stars well before he coined "gamergate"

One of the many original 2014 gamergate threads to get gassed. You will find many honest to god gamergaters bringing their 4chan style shitposting here.

One of the few original 2014 gamergate threads to get archived for having a surprising amount of actual good posts. You will find many honest to god gamergaters posting here, and the beginning of trying to have an actual discussion instead of just shitposting.

The 2015 D&D gamergate thread. You will find many honest to god gamergaters here trying to formulate actual arguments that are found to be wanting, and resorting to tactics like straight up denying reality, like the fact that the instigators of gamergate were all hanging out in chat saying things like this:

Stuff like gamergaters pushing their conspiracy theory website as evidence of collusion in games journalism to people here who actually work in games journalism has shades of trumpers trying to push their election fraud conspiracies in court and getting nowhere then threatening election officials when they lose.

Here is one of the many 2016 shitposting threads where you can see gamergate and it's fully alt-right proponents metastasizing into the trumpist right

the best summary of gamergate as reactionary kulturkampf:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Assepoester has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Jan 1, 2021

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Imagine going through life convinced your pathetic penis is keeping you from making friends instead of all your marginally worse features that you can't stop advertising at all times to complete strangers.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Doomtalker posted:

That's a fact, the rest of the cast loving despises him

I looked up the cast to see what they're up to and Alan Tudyk apparently has a booming career in voice acting

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Filthy Hans posted:

I looked up the cast to see what they're up to and Alan Tudyk apparently has a booming career in voice acting

Man, when you've played Hei-Hei the chicken it's all just coasting from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Filthy Hans posted:

He shows up in a bunch of random stuff- he's one of the stars of Tucker and Dale vs Evil, which is one of the best horror comedies ever.