Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a layman's explanation of what mechanism makes the new strain more contagious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

smoobles posted:

Is there a layman's explanation of what mechanism makes the new strain more contagious?
It uses the spike protein, which is the pokey-looking thing on its surface, to invade your cells. The mutation changed the shape of the spike protein so that it binds much better to its target.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
two ways to view education: as improving already existing talent or as quality control

the usa is the best at the world at improving talent. brutally mediocre on quality control

the individual best pharmacist in the world has an outsized chance to be in the usa. the worst pharmacist in the first world is almost surely also in the usa. same deal w other dealios

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Zugzwang posted:

It uses the spike protein, which is the pokey-looking thing on its surface, to invade your cells. The mutation changed the shape of the spike protein so that it binds much better to its target.

That's badass

prick with tenure
May 21, 2007

Sorry, but that doesn't convulse my being.

Zugzwang posted:

How is it possible for a pharmacist to be this crazy wrt a medication?

Why would someone do this? Blow An entire career/life for what? To keep people from getting a vaccine they want to get and will just get somewhere else in a couple days? The only reason thing I can think of is he thinks he’s some kind of an anti-vax martyr, but even that doesn’t make much sense from his own point of view.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Milwaukee pharmacist who deliberately left hundreds of doses of vaccine out of the freezer to make them spoil has been arrested on felony charges.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1344766948819791878

It turns out he took them out of the freezer overnight twice, and 57 people received shots that were probably useless.

Freeze-thaw cycling stuff is bad for stability, usually way worse than just leaving stuff out. I leave all sorts of stuff out on the bench overnight and it's usually fine.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

norton I posted:

Freeze-thaw cycling stuff is bad for stability, usually way worse than just leaving stuff out. I leave all sorts of stuff out on the bench overnight and it's usually fine.

mrna is not your average thing and it will fuckin dissipate if you gently caress up the cold chain even a little bit

i wasted 2 months of my life, about, on mrna being a little piece of poo poo a decade ago

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 1, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

prick with tenure posted:

Why would someone do this? Blow An entire career/life for what? To keep people from getting a vaccine they want to get and will just get somewhere else in a couple days? The only reason thing I can think of is he thinks he’s some kind of an anti-vax martyr, but even that doesn’t make much sense from his own point of view.

They're probably an antivaxxer who thought they wouldn't get caught.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bob dobbs is dead posted:

mrna is not your average thing and it will fuckin dissipate if you gently caress up the cold chain even a little bit

i wasted 2 months of my life, about, on mrna being a little piece of poo poo a decade ago
RNA in general too. My wife's aunt was doing a master's in biochemistry or something similar in the 1970s. She spent years collecting enough RNA to do some experiment. Then the power went out, the freezer was hosed, and all the RNA degraded. Welp.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the pi i did poo poo for used to say 'if you have a freezer but no ups, you dont really have a freezer'

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

the pi i did poo poo for used to say 'if you have a freezer but no ups, you dont really have a freezer'

And that PI's name? Michael Jordan.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Yeah, the ones at my grad school were attached to the emergency power system. A lot of them contained tens of thousands of $$$ in reagents at any given time, nevermind the irreplaceable samples in a lot of cases.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i actually have met a pi named michael jordan but he does machine learning poo poo. made the jordan neural net, variational poo poo w graphical models, made buncha bayes net poo poo and expectation maximization popular

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

i actually have met a pi named michael jordan but he does machine learning poo poo. made the jordan neural net, variational poo poo w graphical models, made buncha bayes net poo poo and expectation maximization popular

Did he have ups?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

7of7 posted:

Did he have ups?

What can brown do for you?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

7of7 posted:

Did he have ups?

he has a laptop, the laptop has a battery

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

They're probably an antivaxxer who thought they wouldn't get caught.

There is no way to not get caught with this. Every single one of our patients asked about this today, its real bad.

Fun insider info DHS has been called in for a possible domestic terrorism charge. They are looking to make an example out of this rear end in a top hat.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Zugzwang posted:

I gotta say, half of clinical staff declining the vaccine is pretty drat depressing. It's one thing for average folks to deny the situation since they don't see what's going on at hospitals, but clinical workers not wanting the vaccine is quite :negative:

It was pretty mind blowing to hear a respiratory therapist say she wasn't going to get it. Watching all these patients die despite your best efforts and having to do aerosol generating procedures??? Then again over the summer a bunch of nurses infected each other at a nursing station because they were pulling their masks down to talk to each other at work. My favorite are the ones who pull their masks back up when I walk past because they know they are wrong and they think I have time to snitch. I can't wait until February and my second dose has taken effect since most of the people I share a break room with declined.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/irabrianmiller/status/1344069340350435330

:tif:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I wonder what a covid casualty figure would look like. Counting everyone that has long-term health problems due to covid, instead of just people that died.

Is there a number of dead americans high enough that one wouldn't see poo poo like new years eve parties in florida? I'm guessing not because whatever the mortality rate is those people will still ignore quarantine, get infected, and then go right back to partying. Well, not all of them. I'm imagining someone coming back to a nightclub wheeling an oxygen tank after covid destroyed their lungs, taking the mask off, and then dying on the dance floor.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The clinic I work for offered an opportunity to get the first vaccine dose this weekend and I swear to god fuckin laser beams shot out of my eyes and I scheduled the first thing I could.

The one coworker I spoke to about it seemed ambivalent while I'm over here seeing if I can finagle this opportunity to vaccinate other members of my household (no sadly :negative:) and alerting all my oldass 65+ family to waitlist opportunities in the area

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

coronatae posted:

The clinic I work for offered an opportunity to get the first vaccine dose this weekend and I swear to god fuckin laser beams shot out of my eyes and I scheduled the first thing I could.

The one coworker I spoke to about it seemed ambivalent while I'm over here seeing if I can finagle this opportunity to vaccinate other members of my household (no sadly :negative:) and alerting all my oldass 65+ family to waitlist opportunities in the area

I had an appointment Monday for my first shingles vaccine shot when I was told I needed to schedule my first covid one for any of the next three days. Fine, two major vaccinations in under 24 hours bring it on!

ow!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That pharmacist is a wannabe mass murderer, he knew he had a lot of people's lives in his hands, and he chose to cause immense suffering because he had access to that power. I don't think he was anti-vaxx or a plandemic believer at all. I think he's just a fuckin psychopath who knew he had the means to make a lot of people die and he rolled with it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Picnic Princess posted:

That pharmacist is a wannabe mass murderer, he knew he had a lot of people's lives in his hands, and he chose to cause immense suffering because he had access to that power. I don't think he was anti-vaxx or a plandemic believer at all. I think he's just a fuckin psychopath who knew he had the means to make a lot of people die and he rolled with it.
It's way more likely that he's anti-vaxx than just suddenly deciding he wanted to destroy the vaccines for...reasons.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

He probably wanted to destroy his life as pathetically as other covid truthers.

https://twitter.com/abc7/status/1245487039954350080

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There's been other serial killers in the healthcare profession, he wouldn't be the first to take advantage of their job to murder others.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

There's been other serial killers in the healthcare profession, he wouldn't be the first to take advantage of their job to murder others.

How would you prove this was attempted murder? Nothing has been said about the vaccines being toxic if allowed not kept cold until use.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
psychosis is a known side effect of the roni. seems that the roni is a more parsimonious explanation for an outbreak of it

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

xcheopis posted:

How would you prove this was attempted murder? Nothing has been said about the vaccines being toxic if allowed not kept cold until use.
Because if this hadn't been discovered, people might have died due to not having good protection against the virus.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7236749/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Killing people with statistics is acceptable in our society.

Last summer, DJT killed an average of forty people every time he held a rally.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

OmniCorp posted:

He probably wanted to destroy his life as pathetically as other covid truthers.

https://twitter.com/abc7/status/1245487039954350080

Welcome to Hell World home of the Hell World can I take your order

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Because if this hadn't been discovered, people might have died due to not having good protection against the virus.

That some people "might have died", maybe, from not getting this good protection that they haven't had for the last year isn't a great argument.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xcheopis posted:

That some people "might have died", maybe, from not getting this good protection that they haven't had for the last year isn't a great argument.

It’s a good enough argument for the state to step in when parents refuse medical care.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Platystemon posted:

It’s a good enough argument for the state to step in when parents refuse medical care.

But not good enough to charge him for attempted murder of 500 people without better evidence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah that’s why we charge him with five hundred and seventy counts each of reckless endangerment, adulterating a prescription drug, and criminal damage to property.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Yeah that’s why we charge him with five hundred and seventy counts each of reckless endangerment, adulterating a prescription drug, and criminal damage to property.

Yes.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

xcheopis posted:

It’s not the slightest bit relevant that they haven’t had protection thus far this year. It’s totally relevant that the recipients of the ruined doses believed they were getting protection when they weren’t, especially considering that folks getting vaccines at this point are generally most at risk for serious complications or death due to their professions or medical situations or whatever.

This is analogous to handing out fake body armor to people who are likely to be shot at. It maybe doesn’t meet the legal definition of attempted murder, but not terribly far from it.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

It’s not the slightest bit relevant that they haven’t had protection thus far this year. It’s totally relevant that the recipients of the ruined doses believed they were getting protection when they weren’t, especially considering that folks getting vaccines at this point are generally most at risk for serious complications or death due to their professions or medical situations or whatever.

This is analogous to handing out fake body armor to people who are likely to be shot at. It maybe doesn’t meet the legal definition of attempted murder, but not terribly far from it.

As far we know, he may have genuinely believed that the vaccine was poison/mind control/mark of the beast and therefore he was trying to save people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cuz the roni can make you psychotic

could also be lotsa other sources of psychosis. emts had to stop asking peeps to say who the president was to ascertain whether they were fully aware back in 2009 because old peeps kept on yelling THAT N----- while not actually being fully conscious or aware