Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

movax posted:

I am still wigged out by running ESXi off a USB stick because, USB, but earlier in the thread, I guess it’s still common in production, just gets run out of memory and as long as you back up config, it’s OK, I guess?

Is there a setting on where to shove log files?

Yes, ESX used to nag you about choosing a storage repository for persistent logs when running on USB but that may be a function of how big the drive is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Is it inadvisable to get some refurbished lenovo tower for ~$200 on newegg and just drop a couple WD Reds in there to use for unraid?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Head Bee Guy posted:

Is it inadvisable to get some refurbished lenovo tower for ~$200 on newegg and just drop a couple WD Reds in there to use for unraid?

Of course it depends on your use case, but generally no, it's not inadvisable. Go for it, especially if it's just a NAS.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Head Bee Guy posted:

I mean, I wouldn't advise paying full rate for those WD Reds when for the same price you can self insure some shucked disks that hold twice the data.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Head Bee Guy posted:

I did something like that on eBay and it's been solid for 3 years.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
This site specializes in just such a thing: https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-nas-killer-4-0-fast-quiet-power-efficient-and-flexible-starting-at-125/667

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In a Synology system, is the SHR configuration stored on the constituent disks or the Synology itself?

By which I mean, if the Synology itself takes a poo poo, will dropping the drives into an equal enclosure restore the array or is it a more complex process?

e: Sorry, I think I found the answer a minute after posting this. Looks like it's potentially just as easy as moving the drives.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 27, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Martytoof posted:

In a Synology system, is the SHR configuration stored on the constituent disks or the Synology itself?

By which I mean, if the Synology itself takes a poo poo, will dropping the drives into an equal enclosure restore the array or is it a more complex process?

e: Sorry, I think I found the answer a minute after posting this. Looks like it's potentially just as easy as moving the drives.

Stored on the disks. I've done it. (same model synology though.)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I would be surprised if mdadm, which I believe is what Synology uses to configure RAID things, doesn't have a mode like FreeBSDs GEOM does, where there's no metadata saved to disk - but it makes sense for an appliance to not use that since it's meant to be a set-and-forget thing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Quick update. Received the PSU today and plugged it in. Did the diagnostic test that was repeatedly failing at the Processor test with the old one and pushed right through it. I had no idea what the end diagnostic report looked like as I never had gotten to it before! Going to try to do more battery of tests but feeling confident that this was a PSU problem!

It's been almost three weeks after replacing the PSU on the Dell T7810 and I think that was the culprit, given that I have just under 19 days of uptime since swapping it out. Appreciate the talk-through on this and pushing me over the edge to just buy the damned PSU to test out if that was the cause!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I passed on buying some sale priced 12tb externals because I'm dumb and want to hit a full year of uptime before I do another upgrade. Last time it was down was when I was simulating power failures with my new UPS. Still very happy with how easy Unraid makes everything.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

I passed on buying some sale priced 12tb externals because I'm dumb and want to hit a full year of uptime before I do another upgrade. Last time it was down was when I was simulating power failures with my new UPS. Still very happy with how easy Unraid makes everything.

Well if you don't NEED the space you're always better off waiting as prices come down over time. At some point the 14s will be priced where the 12s are at today.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

TraderStav posted:

Well if you don't NEED the space you're always better off waiting as prices come down over time. At some point the 14s will be priced where the 12s are at today.

Look at this guy who didn't buy drives after the 2011 flood in Thailand (your point of course still stands)

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 28, 2020

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Martytoof posted:

H110Hawk posted:

Stored on the disks. I've done it. (same model synology though.)

I did it with different models last year, moved 5 drives from a DS1511+ over to a 6-bay DS1618+ and it worked perfectly.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
What’s the best solution for 50tb of storage, some VM over gigabit?

Cost doesn’t really matter. Looking for the most quality solution. I can do tech things but prefer not to computer janitor when I’m at home.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 29, 2020

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Is there any reason i should not be buying these WD Red 10TB to replace two of the drives in by Synology NAS?

One of the drives is starting to fail, and by replacing two of them i can increase the total storage available as i am using SHR.

I am aware that i need to be looking for CMR instead of SMR drives.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Slash posted:

Is there any reason i should not be buying these WD Red 10TB to replace two of the drives in by Synology NAS?

One of the drives is starting to fail, and by replacing two of them i can increase the total storage available as i am using SHR.

I am aware that i need to be looking for CMR instead of SMR drives.
I hate to sound dense, but didn't you just explain why you might want to avoid SMR drives? With SMR the fields overlap and so rewrite performance is going to suffer. If you change one bit you might have to rewrite a couple megabytes which negatively impacts performance and drive wear. Does your data change a lot? If this is just like for surveillance cameras where the data doesn't change SMR is perfect, if it's for a database where the data changes a lot then SMR would be bad.

What type of RAID are you using? I assume your not using RAID 0 for data storage (some people like to live dangerously), RAID 1 is probably fine with SMR but not ideal if there is mismatched performance. With distributed parity like RAID 5 or 6 I would only be paranoid if you somehow triggered a rewrite of the SMR drive while also wailing on all your other disks. Rebuilding the array is the best time to kill another drive thus loosing your files forever, so I would want to do everything to make the array rebuild as quick as possible.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Not Wolverine posted:

I hate to sound dense, but didn't you just explain why you might want to avoid SMR drives? With SMR the fields overlap and so rewrite performance is going to suffer. If you change one bit you might have to rewrite a couple megabytes which negatively impacts performance and drive wear. Does your data change a lot? If this is just like for surveillance cameras where the data doesn't change SMR is perfect, if it's for a database where the data changes a lot then SMR would be bad.

What type of RAID are you using? I assume your not using RAID 0 for data storage (some people like to live dangerously), RAID 1 is probably fine with SMR but not ideal if there is mismatched performance. With distributed parity like RAID 5 or 6 I would only be paranoid if you somehow triggered a rewrite of the SMR drive while also wailing on all your other disks. Rebuilding the array is the best time to kill another drive thus loosing your files forever, so I would want to do everything to make the array rebuild as quick as possible.
Did you misread SHR as SMR? The drives i linked are CMR.

SHR = Synology Hybrid Raid.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Nitr0 posted:

What’s the best solution for 50tb of storage, some VM over gigabit?

Cost doesn’t really matter. Looking for the most quality solution. I can do tech things but prefer not to computer janitor when I’m at home.

Synology ds1621+ or Qnap TS-673 with 6x 12tb drives, ssd cache would be around $3k. Plenty of performance for gig ethernet. Very hands off. For a little bit more, TVS-872N will do 5 gig ethernet. If you want to run VMs locally and not just provide storage the nas can do that in a very limited way.

A server like a dell poweredge r540 would let you run more VMs. With 8x8tb drives it is about $5.5k list, room to negotiate. Can do up to 12 3.5" hot swappable drives. A big advantage of buying new with dell is the support, if a disk fails dell will send someone to swap it out. Probably only makes sense financially if you need this for a business.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Bought a synology 1520+ recently and it's pretty sweet but why does nobody seem to really talk about how synology products still don't have full disk encryption in 2020? Am I the only person that cares about this? I love not having to worry about personal data being exposed when I dispose of old hardware.

I obviously don't care about having my plex library encrypted but I don't really trust encrypted shares for backups and personal data.

I didn't even think to research this before I bought one because people are always talking about how awesome Synology is and their ad-copy and system specs all mention hardware encryption - but, notably, not FDE. :sigh:

Might just return this and try unraid or omv...

/end rant

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Slash posted:

Did you misread SHR as SMR? The drives i linked are CMR.

SHR = Synology Hybrid Raid.
Sorry, I read SHR but assumed it was a typo since you mentioned knowing about SMR and CMR. In case it's not clear, I don't know of any reason you should avoid WD's 10TB CMR NAS drives for a NAS.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Not Wolverine posted:

Sorry, I read SHR but assumed it was a typo since you mentioned knowing about SMR and CMR. In case it's not clear, I don't know of any reason you should avoid WD's 10TB CMR NAS drives for a NAS.

Great thanks, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something i was missing.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm looking to replace my current server, which is a home built server running Windows Home Server 2011 (lol). Right now I have about 18TB across a handful of drives, and some software called Stablebit DrivePool to make it appear as one giant share on the network. It's running SAB, Sonarr, and recently Plex.

I'm looking at Synology boxes since they seem to be the pick when it comes to something that Just Works, one with at least six bays like the DS1621+ with six 12TB drives. I have a bunch of questions since I haven't had to do this in like a decade:

1) is it easy to install stuff like SAB/Plex/etc into the Synology box? I'm used to just downloading the Windows installers and RDC'ing into the box to handle updates and any sort of troubleshooting that pops up.

2) I'm seeing a lot of conflicting stuff about SMR and other acronyms in regards to newer hard drives. Is there a good pick for 12TB? Right now I have Seagate/WD drives in my server.

3) One of the reasons for the upgrades is the addition of Plex to my setup. My father in law moved in with us, and I setup Plex just for him so he could have access to some of our local media but not all of it via his AppleTV (he gets easily overwhelmed so I didn't want to just plop hundreds of shows/movies in front of him, plus he has his own stuff that I want to keep separate from mine). Him running Plex and SAB extracting files causes the server to hang a bit, especially when I'm trying to stream 4K stuff from it. Would the DS1621 be able to handle all of that?

4) Should I get a SSD on top of the 6x HDDs for OS stuff? I'd definitely do that for a Windows machine, but I'm not sure how it all works. I'd rather spend some cash up front now and have this thing last a decade or so.

5) One thing I like about the current setup is that I can add/remove drives pretty easily via DrivePool. I don't do it often, but it's a nice feature to have. How would that work on the Synology box?

6) I'm familiar with RAID1/5, but not so much SHR1/2. What's the recommendation nowadays? Right now important stuff on my Mac is being backed up via Time Machine and Backblaze. Important stuff on the server (pretty much just photos and music, so less than 200gb) is duplicated via DrivePool onto two different physical disks, and I have it backed up in the cloud as well. I'm not hugely concerned with losing video files, but I don't want the whole thing to die because one disk does.

7) Once I get the thing built, what's the recommendation for moving the files over reliably? I think I used something like Robocopy last time. Everything will be connected to a gigabit LAN.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EC posted:

6) I'm familiar with RAID1/5, but not so much SHR1/2. What's the recommendation nowadays? Right now important stuff on my Mac is being backed up via Time Machine and Backblaze. Important stuff on the server (pretty much just photos and music, so less than 200gb) is duplicated via DrivePool onto two different physical disks, and I have it backed up in the cloud as well. I'm not hugely concerned with losing video files, but I don't want the whole thing to die because one disk does.
SHR1 and SHR2 are more akin to RAIDz1 and RAIDz2 in that it gives you one or two disks worth of distributed parity (ie. P or P+Q) - so you can have up to two disks fail and not lose any data (though at that point your array will be at risk of UREs).
ZFS is one of the few systems that offer RAIDz3, which provides 3 disks worth of distributed parity (ie. P+Q+R), but the mechanisms for going beyond that are so prohibitively computationally expensive that it simply isn't worth going that far, when you can just add more vdevs in ZFS.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
To make a dirt cheap NAS to use with unraid for backup and media storage, as well as plex, I was considering picking up a used Lenovo Thinkcentre m92p tower. I’ve found some for under 150 dollars, or only marginally
more than a RPi4 starter kit. Has anyone used one of these before? Is it possible to add additional HDD cages to that case?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

I'm looking to replace my current server, which is a home built server running Windows Home Server 2011 (lol). Right now I have about 18TB across a handful of drives, and some software called Stablebit DrivePool to make it appear as one giant share on the network. It's running SAB, Sonarr, and recently Plex.

I'm looking at Synology boxes since they seem to be the pick when it comes to something that Just Works, one with at least six bays like the DS1621+ with six 12TB drives. I have a bunch of questions since I haven't had to do this in like a decade:

1) is it easy to install stuff like SAB/Plex/etc into the Synology box? I'm used to just downloading the Windows installers and RDC'ing into the box to handle updates and any sort of troubleshooting that pops up.

2) I'm seeing a lot of conflicting stuff about SMR and other acronyms in regards to newer hard drives. Is there a good pick for 12TB? Right now I have Seagate/WD drives in my server.

3) One of the reasons for the upgrades is the addition of Plex to my setup. My father in law moved in with us, and I setup Plex just for him so he could have access to some of our local media but not all of it via his AppleTV (he gets easily overwhelmed so I didn't want to just plop hundreds of shows/movies in front of him, plus he has his own stuff that I want to keep separate from mine). Him running Plex and SAB extracting files causes the server to hang a bit, especially when I'm trying to stream 4K stuff from it. Would the DS1621 be able to handle all of that?

1) I use FreeNAS with jails, but in general there are tons of video and forum tutorials for getting stuff like that set up on any conceivable device. Even more so if you use something like Docker. The only thing nerds work harder to get installed and working than Sonarr/Radarr/Plex etc is DooM. Just look up a handful of tutorials on Youtube and you'll get an idea of the basic process, and in general the steps are all going to be very similar between the different apps.

2) Anything above 8TB (I believe?) never had SMR used so they should be safe. WD Reds are still great NAS drives, everyone is still just side-eyeing WD for them trying to sneak cheaper tech into their smaller NAS line of drives. Very roughly, $15/TB is a good price point.

3) Is this all going to be local streaming? Transcoding is usually the main resource bottleneck, and depending on the device Plex may have to transcode everything to certain devices. The box you're looking at seems pretty new, but there are several benchmark videos about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bcaDAJkGv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6JED2PjfA0

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also, please ignore what I said about performance going to poo poo when doing more than RAIDz3, because apparently that can be mostly addressed by doing vectorized Galois finite field matrix calculations (and the code for this is apparently already in OpenZFS).

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Head Bee Guy posted:

To make a dirt cheap NAS to use with unraid for backup and media storage, as well as plex, I was considering picking up a used Lenovo Thinkcentre m92p tower. I’ve found some for under 150 dollars, or only marginally
more than a RPi4 starter kit. Has anyone used one of these before? Is it possible to add additional HDD cages to that case?

If it is the tower size it can fit at least 5 drives. 3x 3.5" bays and 2x 5.25 bays. And you can fit 3x 3.5" drives in the 2x5.25" bays. There physical space inside the case to fit more drives, but IIRC you only get 3 sata ports and 1 esata port. So you will need a raid card or sata pci-e card if you want to use more drives. And probably need to get a sata power cable splitter if you want more than 4 drives too.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Takes No Damage posted:

1) I use FreeNAS with jails, but in general there are tons of video and forum tutorials for getting stuff like that set up on any conceivable device. Even more so if you use something like Docker. The only thing nerds work harder to get installed and working than Sonarr/Radarr/Plex etc is DooM. Just look up a handful of tutorials on Youtube and you'll get an idea of the basic process, and in general the steps are all going to be very similar between the different apps.

2) Anything above 8TB (I believe?) never had SMR used so they should be safe. WD Reds are still great NAS drives, everyone is still just side-eyeing WD for them trying to sneak cheaper tech into their smaller NAS line of drives. Very roughly, $15/TB is a good price point.

3) Is this all going to be local streaming? Transcoding is usually the main resource bottleneck, and depending on the device Plex may have to transcode everything to certain devices. The box you're looking at seems pretty new, but there are several benchmark videos about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bcaDAJkGv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6JED2PjfA0

1) Yeah I've seen Docker mentioned in the SAB thread so I'll check out some tutorials.
2) Good to know! Thanks. :)
3) Yeah, all local streaming. Living in the sticks means that I have lovely internet. :/

I'll check the videos and see what I can come up with. I have a Shield for my stuff so it'll just be doing direct playback, so it's only the FIL's Apple TV that might require transcoding. I have to imagine anything would be better than what I have now.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

EC posted:

1) Yeah I've seen Docker mentioned in the SAB thread so I'll check out some tutorials.
2) Good to know! Thanks. :)
3) Yeah, all local streaming. Living in the sticks means that I have lovely internet. :/

I'll check the videos and see what I can come up with. I have a Shield for my stuff so it'll just be doing direct playback, so it's only the FIL's Apple TV that might require transcoding. I have to imagine anything would be better than what I have now.

If his Apple TV is the 4K mode, it should be able to direct play HEVC (x265). The minimum processor is the A9.

That said, they still sell the Apple TV HD which has an A8.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Cold on a Cob posted:

Bought a synology 1520+ recently and it's pretty sweet but why does nobody seem to really talk about how synology products still don't have full disk encryption in 2020? Am I the only person that cares about this? I love not having to worry about personal data being exposed when I dispose of old hardware.

You're definitely not the only one, it's such a stupid limitation.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

H2SO4 posted:

You're definitely not the only one, it's such a stupid limitation.

Cheers to that. I've already pulled my disks and packed it up to return it. I think I'll put the money towards a new M1 Mac Mini and install TrueNAS on my desktop.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Full disk encryption wouldn't stop someone from stealing the whole appliance, keys and all

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lampey posted:

Full disk encryption wouldn't stop someone from stealing the whole appliance, keys and all

This is for home/small business use so I would happily type in the passphrase every time it has to be rebooted. If it were enterprise I'd setup a key server. This is completely standard in other NAS products, let's not give Synology a pass for this.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Synology offers shared folder encryption. This protects your data against theft. Qnap does volume based encryption with a key/password. Apple time capsule, and the newer netgear support disk encryption. You need to setup the feature appropriately to protect your data, protecting the key with a password, not caching the password

But the rest, WD, Seagate, Buffalo, drobo, asustor nas for small biz either don't offer disk encryption or have a hard coded encryption key that is tied to the unit that doesn't protect data at rest.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I don’t trust shared folder encryption to protect against swap leak. I want fde so I can toss a disk when I’m done with it and be assured it’s not exposing client data or my private personal data.

I was indeed thinking of qnap as the main competitor here but also open media vault and TrueNAS. I’ll be using TrueNAS probably as my pc hardware is more than adequate for this task.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Assuming FreeBSD 12 (or TrueNAS, I suppose, since that's also version 12), I believe there's the option of doing per-dataset encryption using AES-256-GCM with the OpenZFS port (which I believe is what TrueNAS 12 implements) - that would give you the equivalent of shared folder encryption on Synology which are encrypted when not mounted.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Assuming FreeBSD 12 (or TrueNAS, I suppose, since that's also version 12), I believe there's the option of doing per-dataset encryption using AES-256-GCM with the OpenZFS port (which I believe is what TrueNAS 12 implements) - that would give you the equivalent of shared folder encryption on Synology which are encrypted when not mounted.

Can you run Trueness with encrypted swap (or no swap at all) though? They specifically mentioned swap leak as what they're worried about

E: oh wait, the concern is specifically being able to throw away drives. TrueNAS should be fine then because no system info is stored on your pool's disks. You ZFS encrypt your pool's root dataset and you're safe. You just can't easily toss the system drive because that's what might have swap on it, unless you enable FDE for that one (or two if mirrored) drive

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 1, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Disable swap. Add ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Can you run Trueness with encrypted swap (or no swap at all) though? They specifically mentioned swap leak as what they're worried about

E: oh wait, the concern is specifically being able to throw away drives. TrueNAS should be fine then because no system info is stored on your pool's disks. You ZFS encrypt your pool's root dataset and you're safe. You just can't easily toss the system drive because that's what might have swap on it, unless you enable FDE for that one (or two if mirrored) drive
You can absolutely encrypt swap on FreeBSD, but I know basically nothing about TrueNAS.
That's not quite how it works. ZFS per-dataset encryption CANNOT be used for FDE until the boot loader has been modified to support decrypting the relevant supported algorithms.
At least FreeBSDs standard loader (which TrueNAS uses, I believe) supports reading and working with ZFS (including boot environments) just fine, and it supports reading GELI encrypted pools, but I don't think the code for reading the per-dataset encrypted filesystems has landed yet. Someone is working on it, though.

I would imagine L2ARC and SLOG devices could also be sources of information leak, but those can be encrypted with GELI too, just like swap devices can - at least on FreeBSD, though I assume you can do the same with TrueNAS on the command-line.

EDIT:

H110Hawk posted:

Disable swap. Add ram.
Don't. Swap is good for no other reason than not having a place to put kernel dumps is bad. Thankfully, FreeBSD supports encrypted kernel dumps. And if you really don't want swap, you can always netdump on FreeBSD.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 1, 2021