Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Picnic Princess posted:

There's been other serial killers in the healthcare profession, he wouldn't be the first to take advantage of their job to murder others.

Yep. This guy might hold the serial killer record
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Cullen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

cuz the roni can make you psychotic

could also be lotsa other sources of psychosis. emts had to stop asking peeps to say who the president was to ascertain whether they were fully aware back in 2009 because old peeps kept on yelling THAT N----- while not actually being fully conscious or aware

Covid will be the lead paint of the 21st century.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

canyoneer posted:

Yep. This guy might hold the serial killer record
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Cullen

Not even close, Harold Shipman killed 250

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Shipman?wprov=sfla1

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You have to make it to the third sentence of the wikipedia intro.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

xcheopis posted:

As far we know, he may have genuinely believed that the vaccine was poison/mind control/mark of the beast and therefore he was trying to save people.

Which has precisely zero relevance to how he should be charged. Even if all you're trying to claim is that he isn't mentally fit to stand trial.

I agree that the charge should be reckless endangerment rather than attempted murder, but you are arguing it in a really weird way.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/edmorrish/status/1343878018129948672

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

xcheopis posted:

As far we know, he may have genuinely believed that the vaccine was poison/mind control/mark of the beast and therefore he was trying to save people.

Look out, Robin! The RIGHT-WING LONG-TERM STRATEGY ALERT is going off!

Gee whiz Batman! What's that?!?

That's the strategy where claiming you "believed" something means you can't be liable for it no matter how destructive, disgusting, or damaging it is! They call it "freedom of religion."

But Batman! That's an absolute inversion of everything freedom of religion stands for!

I know, Robin. I know. But remember, my friend.... we're dealing with criminals here.

Tune in next week when who gives a gently caress what you believe you crazy vaccine-destroying piece of poo poo go to prison.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

JonathonSpectre posted:

That's the strategy where claiming you "believed" something means you can't be liable for it no matter how destructive, disgusting, or damaging it is! They call it "freedom of religion."

But Batman! That's an absolute inversion of everything freedom of religion stands for!

I know, Robin. I know. But remember, my friend.... we're dealing with criminals here.

Tune in next week when who gives a gently caress what you believe you crazy vaccine-destroying piece of poo poo go to prison.

Yep. Sorry my fine anti-vaxxer pharmacist dude, but how does that saying go?

Oh, right: facts don't care about your feelings.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Castaign posted:

Which has precisely zero relevance to how he should be charged. Even if all you're trying to claim is that he isn't mentally fit to stand trial.

I agree that the charge should be reckless endangerment rather than attempted murder, but you are arguing it in a really weird way.

I said nothing about his mental fitness, only that without other evidence we shouldn't instantly claim he should be charged as a serial killer.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

JonathonSpectre posted:

This sure is a post full of stupid.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

xcheopis posted:

This sure is a post full of stupid.

Case closed!

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

xcheopis posted:

I said nothing about his mental fitness, only that without other evidence we shouldn't instantly claim he should be charged as a serial killer.

You also seemed to imply that his motivations and beliefs (whatever they might be) would or should impact the nature of the charges leveled against him.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JonathonSpectre posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The elephant in the room is that American jurors in 2021 are loving bonkers and at least three of twelve would say “Antivaxx man is a hero and deserves the Presidential Medal of Freedom”.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Castaign posted:

You also seemed to imply that his motivations and beliefs (whatever they might be) would or should impact the nature of the charges leveled against him.

Yes. Motivation often factors into charges. Until we have more evidence that he wanted to kill people, don't assume he is a serial killer. A stupid piece of poo poo recklessly endangering others, absolutely.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
How much worse is the English strain compaired to the original strain from Wuhan?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Fumble posted:

How much worse is the English strain compaired to the original strain from Wuhan?

its just more transmissible I think?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

its just more transmissible I think?

Yeah, you can get it more easily now.

All the dumbfucks who are parading around without masks in my city, that haven't get it yet by mere luck, have now even higher chances to get that poo poo for real now.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

OmniCorp posted:

He probably wanted to destroy his life as pathetically as other covid truthers.

https://twitter.com/abc7/status/1245487039954350080

2020 was lots of fun!

prick with tenure
May 21, 2007

Sorry, but that doesn't convulse my being.
If it’s an anti-vax thing, did pharmacist man think by leaving the vaccines out he was making them harmless to the people getting the injection? Because he didn’t do anything to stop the injections themselves. And reading a little more about the story it doesn’t sound he made any moves to go undetected for more than a couple days, so it’s not like he could have thought he was preventing these people from getting the real shot soon anyway. Just an Ima throw myself on the gears and do my little tiny part at the cost of my entire career kind of thing, I guess. But then why not just throw the vials out and be done with it? Hard to discern the guy’s thought process.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

prick with tenure posted:

If it’s an anti-vax thing, did pharmacist man think by leaving the vaccines out he was making them harmless to the people getting the injection? Because he didn’t do anything to stop the injections themselves. And reading a little more about the story it doesn’t sound he made any moves to go undetected for more than a couple days, so it’s not like he could have thought he was preventing these people from getting the real shot soon anyway. Just an Ima throw myself on the gears and do my little tiny part at the cost of my entire career kind of thing, I guess. But then why not just throw the vials out and be done with it? Hard to discern the guy’s thought process.

he's dumb as gently caress, op

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Quoting a really good side-eyed COVID Hoaxer burn.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Fumble posted:

It's the same risk to the individual, if you get it. However it's much worse for the population, even worse than if transmissibility is equal but severity 50% worse.

There was a Ding post (I think) where modeling estimated that for 10000 people, ~50% increase in severity gave ~125 extra deaths, but 50% increase in transmissibility gave ~930 extra deaths. These numbers are from my fuzzy memory, but the gist is there. The new variant is scary.

[edit] Here's the source: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/12/virus-mutation-catastrophe/617531/?utm_source=feed

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 2, 2021

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

It's been detected nationally, I bet the November surge has been riding on this strain and the US just hasn't devoted enough (any?) resources to detecting it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Uh!!!!oh!!!!!!!!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Blorange posted:

It's been detected nationally, I bet the November surge has been riding on this strain and the US just hasn't devoted enough (any?) resources to detecting it.

Ding ding ding

The CDC should be proactively studying and sequencing random samples to track the mutations. I seriously bet that it's a huge part of the Covid explosion in SoCal

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I thought some sciency goon speculated it wasn’t actually more transmissible it had just hit a super spreader event almost immediately or something like that?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Is the mutation enough to render the vaccine useless against it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

no

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CaptainCrunch posted:

The vaccine does have a protective effect against this strain, you won't die, you'll just become what is commonly known as a "Flesh Reaper"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Apparently his plan was to ruin the vaccines and then give them to people so they'd then catch covid and prove that vaccines don't work

https://twitter.com/ZackDavisson/status/1344811166984413185

If he'd just poured them down the sink and replaced them with saline solution he probably would never have been caught

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i don't see anything in that article to support twitter zack's statement

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

CaptainCrunch posted:

Very recent and strong evidence that the UK variant doesn't break immunity:

Winn Haynes via Twitter posted:

We used our database of 579 COVID patient samples to evaluate immune evasion the UK variant (B.1.1.7). Overall takeaway is reassuring: we see no evidence that the reported mutations would substantially increase reinfection risk or decrease vaccine efficacy

Efforts are underway to reproduce a study with the SA variant, which has significantly more spike mutations/deletions.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Maybe they wanted to incite copycats? Chuds believe strongly in the "silent majority" myth, maybe this one expects a bunch of other medical workers to start doing similar things

You're right though, it's hard to know what they were actually thinking

E: Ah didn't see the latest update, I guess the plan all along was to not get caught but for some of those people getting the spoiled vaccine to complain about it when they get coronavirus later

So this person is just stupid, basically. Even the most effective vaccine is not 100% effective, there were already going to be individuals that antivaxxers could point to as evidence for their mistaken conclusions

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 1, 2021

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Had anyone posted in here about the UK gov's decision to extend the time for a second dose of the two vaccines from 3 weeks to 3 months, discarding the fact that for one of the vaccines none of the trials involved that sort of timescale so we literally have no idea what effect it will have?

For gently caress's sake.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently his plan was to ruin the vaccines and then give them to people so they'd then catch covid and prove that vaccines don't work

https://twitter.com/ZackDavisson/status/1344811166984413185

If he'd just poured them down the sink and replaced them with saline solution he probably would never have been caught

loving rear end in a top hat. It's not as if we don't know that you can still catch the virus after being vaccinated!

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Bape Culture posted:

I thought some sciency goon speculated it wasn’t actually more transmissible it had just hit a super spreader event almost immediately or something like that?

A number of posters suggested that the idea the the increased transmission was just poor measures/compliance and the variant was a cover to allow further lockdown efforts? Seemed like a stretch, and also, provably not true:

""Jeffrey Barret via Twitter" posted:

Using different models (lots more detail in the paper), spatial resolutions, and either the genomes or S-gene dropout to track B.1.1.7, the conclusion is very consistent: about a 0.5 additive increase to R.

paper here

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Akuma posted:

Had anyone posted in here about the UK gov's decision to extend the time for a second dose of the two vaccines from 3 weeks to 3 months, discarding the fact that for one of the vaccines none of the trials involved that sort of timescale so we literally have no idea what effect it will have?

For gently caress's sake.

Also the second dose might be a different vaccine if they don't have the same one stocked that day
https://twitter.com/dannyjnwong/status/1344956389148520448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah we were pretty sceptical because it there wasn't any strong evidence and the gov was hugely playing it up to cover their own incompetence. However there has been a bunch of new evidence come out since then so it really is looking like the new variant is more transmissible. Which sucks.