Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I could put up with so much crofty bullshit if he wasn’t somehow sub 50% on guessing the right loving driver we’re watching. Fuckin Albon could be starting 15th with max on pole and he’d somehow call the lead redbull through turn 5 “albon”

Because max has already hit the wall

I mean you're lucky if he gets the team right. He definitely mixed up the Williams and Alpha Taurus about twice a race last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I mean you're lucky if he gets the team right. He definitely mixed up the Williams and Alpha Taurus about twice a race last season.

I don’t remember this but I believe it. I’m with Azza Bamboo where I’m totally fine with not knowing and just saying the team. Just don’t get it wrong!!

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Hello. I forgot there was a new thread, so you almost were free from my white noise posting. Thankfully I realized the error of my ways and found the new one. #forzaferrari

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
happy new year, worst thread

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Happy new years hopefully Ferrari wins this year
#forzaLapo

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/JackandJonesTM/status/1344703405466546182

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Guess those rumors were true!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Pragmatica posted:

Guess those rumors were true!

I poo poo you not, this came up on my IG feed and the immediate next image was

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
lmao oh no

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Ahahahahaaa

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

You're all laughing at F1 relationship drama, but I'm laughing at Kvyat's terrible stemware

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14WGd7PWIrs

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You're all laughing at F1 relationship drama, but I'm laughing at Kvyat's terrible stemware

That's probably something he got from a club that went bankrupt

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Azza Bamboo posted:

Finished watching the 82 Grand Prix championship. There is a lot going on this season.

Finished watching the 83 Grand Prix championship. This season sees a huge change in the rules for aero combined with further development of the 1.5l turbo engines. The aero skirts were banned due to safety concerns, and the the turbos were well and truly racing in their own league, with the commentator often mentioning who is "leading the non-turbo race."

The unreliable swath of newly developed machines threw too many spanners in the works for my liking. It seemed to be a common theme that a wonderful performance or what could have been a thrilling battle got cut short by one of the drivers having to pull off to the side. This was perfectly demonstrated in the final race where Arnoux, Prost and Piquet were all in a position to win the championship, but retirements from Arnoux and Prost meant that Piquet was able to take this victory by cruising to the finish line with at least three points to add to his total.

Save for a few astounding performances from the likes of Keke Rosberg, John Watson and Niki Lauda, the newly developed cars took center stage, as did the wider adoption of the planned pitstops. At the start of the season Keke Rosberg singed his moustache on flames that flowed from his mechanics' hose, calling into question the effectiveness of this strategy. By the end, every single turbo on the grid was benefitting from Brabham and Williams' strategy.

Attempts to create a compelling narrative of rilvalries between drivers in this season fall flat. While the hatred between Arnoux and Prost existed, it never manifested on the track with any sort of interesting battle. Any such battle was fought slowly over the season with the points they steadily accrued, only for any chance of a real battle in the finale to be taken away by reliability issues. Also, any battles between the top three in the championship seemed to come down to a matter of whose machine was eating itself alive at the time.

While I make it sound dull or fraught with problems, the interesting part of this season is witnessing the development of the machines and the sport itself. There's new Alfa Romeo turbos, Renault Lotus turbos, Honda Williams Turbos, pit strategies, and a noted decline in horrible accidents over the previous two seasons. This entire season charts that transition and almost hypes up the next season as it promises the same fantastic drivers but in machines that represent a slightly better developed version of this year's concepts.

And of course every season has its running gag, which has to be the sight of Derek Watson leaving the race. Then, as though trying to improve his comedy act, there's one occasion where his fire extinguisher set off within his cockpit, causing a white cloud to rise from under his dashboard over his helmet.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 3, 2021

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does that mean Max might be a step father to Daniils baby lol

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I'm howlin

oh my god lol this is amazing

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
News years honest list, thought this may be relevant in this great thread

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

what the gently caress is this poo poo

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

No we all love Lewis and want to kiss him now. We don't even call him Poois Shamilton.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

On to the next season, and I can't help but notice that Prost and Lauda are in the same team. Also that someone called Ayrton Senna has appeared in a Toleman.

There's only one non-turbo car on the track now and it's a Tyrell. I'd feel sorry for the poor sod who has to drive it, but this drive propels Martin Brundle into a cushy commentating job, so there's naught to worry about.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 3, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Azza Bamboo posted:

There's only one non-turbo car on the track now and it's a Tyrell. I'd feel sorry for the poor sod who has to drive it, but this drive propels Martin Brundle into a cushy commentating job, so there's naught to worry about.

It's ok, you can feel sorry for Bellof instead.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

lewis is a lot more jacked than it seems with his racing suit on

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

This was clearly made for some godawful right wing shithole on Facebook so nice ukip meme I guess

Bet you voted for brexit too

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
that post is performing so badly you could slap a horse on it and call it a Ferrari

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You can get hosed mate

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
who the fuk cares about poois, today we all remember the greatest f1 driver and scud legend michael schumacher who retired in 2006 and never returned to racing.

#happybirthdaymichael

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Zeta Acosta posted:

who the fuk cares about poois, today we all remember the greatest f1 driver and scud legend michael schumacher who retired in 2006 and never returned to racing.

#happybirthdaymichael

Did he die?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

GramCracker posted:

Did he die?

He will never be allowed to die

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

He will never be allowed to die

The immortal god-emperor of racing, kept alive in his mountain fortress in Switzerland.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The immortal god-emperor of racing, kept alive in his mountain fortress in Switzerland.

and the people who worship him are all morons clinging to old ideas and using technology they don't understand.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GramCracker posted:

Did he die?

in a way

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

GramCracker posted:

Did he die?

he will always live in our hearts

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Zeta Acosta posted:

your heart is a vegetative state?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Zeta Acosta posted:

Rock on

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Disappointed at F1 archives for only having the 10 minute long condensed newsreel versions of most of their 84 and 85 season races. While there's a bit of nostalgia in remembering these segments being put in to old news broadcasts, I believe I have spoiled some of these races by seeing them in short. I could have looked elsewhere to find them but the whole point of this package was meant to be convenience.

There are some races I get to see in the hour long form, the first of which I am watching now: a very wet Monaco. Hopefully they chose to put this one in its larger form for some reason, like it being interesting perhaps, but wet Monaco just sounds like a disaster.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Monaco race was where Senna really got on everyone’s radar and the continuing hard on for him is probably why it got special treatment

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

‘84 is probably my favourite season. Dallas and Austria were my favourite races. You also had the fact that Ron Dennis being a cheap gently caress meant the Mclaren would qualify way down and have to fight through the pack in the race and the Brabham being ludicrously fast but the BMW engine was made from a glass mould of a 90 year old woman with osteoporosis’s bones. Lauda mentally beating Prost was really cool to watch.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Everyone died, which is very predictable for wet Monaco. Senna's performance was fantastic, and I can understand Alain Prost shaking his fist at the race director given what happened the last time he lead at Monaco in the wet. I'm sure a more cynical person could take the view that Prost's pleas came more from the numbers he was undoubtedly seeing on the pitwall than his fears, but I find that very unlikely.

Lauda has made a huge impression on me in these past two seasons. His racing is very well paced and he's fantastic at unnerving people into making errors. Another thing I've noticed, when he sometimes has to park his car, is that he's delightfully cordial with the marshals. It's great to see appreciation for the poor sods who stood out in that rain in Monaco, regardless of what dark events may have inspired that appreciation.

The only races of the 1984 season that aren't in a 10 minute newsreel form are Monaco, Detroit, Austria and the season finale at Portugal.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Prost as I recall had a particularly nasty accident in the rain in one of his first couple of seasons and absolutely loving hated racing in the rain as a result. There was a few crashes earlier in the race that warranted calling it off before Prost raised his hand tbh.