Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I'll admit to being a little baffled by the idea that sliding down a slope and avoiding the track does not count as cheating in the horse racing event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What would have helped is a phrase like "You must stay on the trail." or some such establishing the rules of engagement for the event. I think they just sort of go right into it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

If it was really paying homage to ancient Greece Diana would have been praised for being clever. Instead this movie was obsessed with imposing a 80s Saturday cartoon morality over everything.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

If it was really paying homage to ancient Greece Diana would have been praised for being clever. Instead this movie was obsessed with imposing a 80s Saturday cartoon morality over everything.

I think it was in Sparta that young soldiers or such were taught to be sneaky and the way they would be punished is if they were caught in the act and it was for being caught, not the stealing itself.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
It would have made sense if she had hit the checkpoint in some sort of underhanded way after falling and her aunt had caught her.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It may seem minor, but it’s a slippery slope

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Hand Knit posted:

I'll admit to being a little baffled by the idea that sliding down a slope and avoiding the track does not count as cheating in the horse racing event.

There's a tendency among nerds to over compensate their criticisms. So while ww84 sounds pretty bad, some peeps can't help but try to interpret everything in the worst possible extreme, which inadvertently makes it seem like they can't follow simplistic storytelling.

See the several posts proclaiming confusion over Barbara turning into Cheetah - why? Clearly she wanted on some level to be a sexy Cat, the magic realized her fursona

If I'm going to watch a comic book movie that features a superpowered Catwoman, even if I don't like it, I'm not going to be like "I can't possibly understand what this is!"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gatts posted:

What would have helped is a phrase like "You must stay on the trail." or some such establishing the rules of engagement for the event. I think they just sort of go right into it.

they were hitting checkpoints along the track that sent up colored smoke trails, which would signal a flag of the same color to be lowered in the arena to mark their standings, and it was shown that Diana didn’t hit one of the checkpoints. I saw it coming that her win would be invalidated for not hitting all the checkpoints. It’s just the whole lecture afterward was hamfisted as all hell and the whole sequence felt incredibly pointless

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 1, 2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

In isolation the race works fine, though I did find it goofy looking and not all that exciting. It’s just that it has nothing to do with what happens in the rest of the movie.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
For what it's worth, my original complaint isn't really about the game theory of the race although the race seemed a bit confusing to me. I wasn't even sure if the slide wasn't actually part of things. But clearly that's more of a personal thing. I think the whole "It's not the same as the Kobashyi Maru" is misunderstanding that Kirk isn't right for cheating. One of the most iconic moments in Kirk's story is about how unprepared her is for when he actually has to facer a no-win scenario. Star Trek '09 uses it to point how much he has to grow and develop to be a true Captain. I think that you can tell the story without Diana whining and being portrayed as a brat, and it ties into larger issues with how the movie presents her.

Also, I honestly thought until really late in the movie that she was going to progressively grow more and more into a Cheetah because she had had made her wish when Diana was wearing those heels. And honestly, as stupid as that would be, I kind of prefer it to her forced extra bonus wish.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

There's a tendency among nerds to over compensate their criticisms. So while ww84 sounds pretty bad, some peeps can't help but try to interpret everything in the worst possible extreme, which inadvertently makes it seem like they can't follow simplistic storytelling.

See the several posts proclaiming confusion over Barbara turning into Cheetah - why? Clearly she wanted on some level to be a sexy Cat, the magic realized her fursona

If I'm going to watch a comic book movie that features a superpowered Catwoman, even if I don't like it, I'm not going to be like "I can't possibly understand what this is!"

Yeah resulting ITT in "I don't understand what a relay is, making this movie bad"

"Many people haven't seen 80's movies, making references to 80's stuff in a movie called Wonder Woman 1984 bad"

"I don't understand why she turned into a Cheetah or that Wonder Woman is a comic book"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

cheating to win is good.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

do scientists still think the t-rex was a scavenger
This is extremely belated, but the long and the short of it was that particular 'debate' was more paleontologist Jack Horner specifically trolling the media rather than an argument multiple scientists believed was credible enough to have a controversy over. Tl:dr of it is that predator vs scavenger isn't really a hard dichotomy (at least for most tetrapods); usually most predators don't turn their nose up at free corpses and there are very, very few animals that enjoy eating corpses who are philosophically against making their own. The closest thing to a straight up scavenger for modern tetrapods are vultures, which can both survey and cover large distances while corpse-hunting with minimal energy expenditure due to being masters of soaring flight, which T. rex was, somewhat obviously, not.
Also there's multiple fossils out there of prey dinosaurs temporally and geographically contemporary to T. rex with partially-healed bite marks that match its teeth. So there's not just no evidence for T. rex being a pure scavenger AND no apparent biological or ecological foundation for it, there's also direct evidence against it.

Gatts posted:

I think it was in Sparta that young soldiers or such were taught to be sneaky and the way they would be punished is if they were caught in the act and it was for being caught, not the stealing itself.
Part of the deliberately-abusive agoge system that the male citizens got brought up in to make them good little soldiers, yeah: they were given slightly less food than they needed, expected to steal, and if they were caught they got punished. If you want to read pages and pages of a guy who does pop culture/military history crossover work breaking down just how incredibly awful Sparta was, you can find it here.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 1, 2021

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

No one is saying they didn’t understand it, or that the rules didn’t make sense. We are saying it was framed out poorly and required clumsy verbal exposition to patch over it. Nobody is saying it was that big of a problem, either.

If you want to express a simple platitude, show it (not tell it) without ambiguity. Especially if you’re going to loop back around on it at the end to reinforce your (really lovely) moral.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 1, 2021

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
This was a weird movie to watch while doing paperwork. Not much action for an action movie. Not much plot for any other kind of movie. Just . . . a lot of empty space.

The score reminded me a lot of Sunshine which was great. I hope it was the same guy or he got royalties or something. Easily the best part of the movie.

They also missed out on not mainstreaming creepy furry stuff to get those Zootopia bucks. If they were going to make a weird movie they should have had more weird people consulting. Play up Cheetah's homosexuality, tie it into 80s themes. Do a clear compare/contrast of greedy cosmopolitan American oilmen with greedy nationalist/provincial Arab oilmen. Do something with Reagan. Doesn't matter what. Good guy, bad guy (ideally this and tie it to Cheetah's homosexuality), something. He wasn't some bland blank slate. Lots of threads they could have done something with instead of nothing.

VinylonUnderground fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 2, 2021

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

VinylonUnderground posted:

The score reminded me a lot of Sunshine which was great. I hope it was the same guy or he got royalties or something. Easily the best part of the movie.

Hahaha they literally used the score from Sunshine

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Hahaha they literally used the score from Sunshine

That would explain it.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

cheating to win is good.

Wow! Someone brought wrestler Eddie Guerrero back from the dead and bought him an account!

gregday
May 23, 2003

The moral of this movie is that cheetahs never win.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Augus posted:

they were hitting checkpoints along the track that sent up colored smoke trails, which would signal a flag of the same color to be lowered in the arena to mark their standings, and it was shown that Diana didn’t hit one of the checkpoints. I saw it coming that her win would be invalidated for not hitting all the checkpoints. It’s just the whole lecture afterward was hamfisted as all hell and the whole sequence felt incredibly pointless

I saw it too, but it was still poorly done. Were they doing it for points? Maybe someone could miss a couple but still come put ahead? All they had to do was have one amazon miss her color and curse her bad aim, and a person on the stands go "What a pity, she missed the marker and can't continue."

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is Sunshine good? I've literally never heard of it before but so many people ITT are very familiar with its score

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hobo Clown posted:

Is Sunshine good? I've literally never heard of it before but so many people ITT are very familiar with its score

It’s great. Beautiful movie start to finish. Some people get thrown off by the tone shift but I think it works well with it. And the music is just perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKq1qfdmWk

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Going into this I was totally expecting Wonder Woman and Cheetah to put aside their differences to take down Lord as the idea of the movie finishing with a literal catfight seemed way too dumb.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hobo Clown posted:

It's my personal favorite Danny Boyle film, and one of my favorite films in general.

[edit] It's also the film that sold me on the idea of Chris Evans as Captain America.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I remember not liking the third act of Sunshine, but it’s been like 12 years.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

General Dog posted:

I remember not liking the third act of Sunshine, but it’s been like 12 years.

It veers off hard sci-fi into horror slasher territory which is a reason a lot of people don't like the movie. I get it, and feel the jarring shift in tone is a valid criticism. I like it though. The revelation of what happened to Icarus 1 is a neat twist and Pinbacker is weird as gently caress and gross. His character's commentary on god and religion is something I found super interesting.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Hobo Clown posted:

It is the best 2001-like since 2001. It's an absolutely stellar film and the score really works with it too. Make sure you watch it in a very dark room. The opening scene should hurt your eyes. It is important for the experience.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

VinylonUnderground posted:

They also missed out on not mainstreaming creepy furry stuff to get those Zootopia bucks. If they were going to make a weird movie they should have had more weird people consulting. Play up Cheetah's homosexuality, tie it into 80s themes. Do a clear compare/contrast of greedy cosmopolitan American oilmen with greedy nationalist/provincial Arab oilmen. Do something with Reagan. Doesn't matter what. Good guy, bad guy (ideally this and tie it to Cheetah's homosexuality), something. He wasn't some bland blank slate. Lots of threads they could have done something with instead of nothing.

It's pretty clear that the director's politics absolutely preclude anything as interesting as that. Liberal Reagan was probably the first case of rehabilitation into aw-shucks grandpa.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1345188326681309185

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Thanks for the recommendation, thread! Just watched Sunshine (it's on Hulu) and it was extremely my poo poo so I dunno how it escaped my notice for so long. Recognized the track from WW immediately so I understand how people picked up on it so quick.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Space Fish posted:

There seems to be an additional misconception that horse racing isn't an athletic activity in and of itself. Horses are not self-driving cars, and Diana's competitors would have been just as justified to challenge her performance on the basis that she fell off and stayed off her horse until the final stretch.

Diana's competitors should worry more about competing with a child in the first place. Like why isn't that the main topic of discussion? I get that she is pretty much a god in regards to her powers but what kind of emotional development do you expect if you put a little girl in competition to adults? How can you be surprised that a child would define itself just by "success" and end up doing what is necessary to win?
So it feels weird to create a moral lesson based on a technicality while the whole scenario borders on child abuse if you have such strict standards in regards to morality in the first place.
It also doesn't work on an emotional level because you have a child that has to compete vs adults, you obviously feel sympathy for young Diana and how it's portrayed you are even SUPPOSED to root for her so not only is she punished but even you as viewer feel punished.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It makes more sense considering it's the liberal worldview where following the rules and respecting hierarchies is an inherent good. :decorum:

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's pretty clear that the director's politics absolutely preclude anything as interesting as that. Liberal Reagan was probably the first case of rehabilitation into aw-shucks grandpa.

Yeah but that makes it more baffling.

Why make Barbara gay and do nothing with it?

Why include Reagan and do nothing with him?

Why have really vile ME charicatures?

Why have a parody of the '80s "Greed is good" mindset be a villain but not connecting it to anything?

Why do a "time traveler" story with a man from WWI moving to the '80s and have him just go "wow" to technology but nothing on how culture has changed?

Like, any one of those things could be interesting. I would have objected to making Reagan a hero instead of a dupe made of cardboard but they could have done something interesting with that and be consistent with the politics of the film.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Drakyn posted:

This is extremely belated, but the long and the short of it was that particular 'debate' was more paleontologist Jack Horner specifically trolling the media rather than an argument multiple scientists believed was credible enough to have a controversy over. Tl:dr of it is that predator vs scavenger isn't really a hard dichotomy (at least for most tetrapods); usually most predators don't turn their nose up at free corpses and there are very, very few animals that enjoy eating corpses who are philosophically against making their own. The closest thing to a straight up scavenger for modern tetrapods are vultures, which can both survey and cover large distances while corpse-hunting with minimal energy expenditure due to being masters of soaring flight, which T. rex was, somewhat obviously, not.
Also there's multiple fossils out there of prey dinosaurs temporally and geographically contemporary to T. rex with partially-healed bite marks that match its teeth. So there's not just no evidence for T. rex being a pure scavenger AND no apparent biological or ecological foundation for it, there's also direct evidence against it.

Part of the deliberately-abusive agoge system that the male citizens got brought up in to make them good little soldiers, yeah: they were given slightly less food than they needed, expected to steal, and if they were caught they got punished. If you want to read pages and pages of a guy who does pop culture/military history crossover work breaking down just how incredibly awful Sparta was, you can find it here.
Yo, this blog is awesome thanks for posting it

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

smug jeebus posted:

Yo, this blog is awesome thanks for posting it

It is fascinating for the detail it goes into the Spartan life , but also a bit annoying that they're kind of misunderstanding the film. Like yeah, Spartan society is supremely hosed up and they abuse kids and indoctrinate them in a manner we'd compare to child soldiers, this is a big hint that the Spartans aren't really heroic figures.

It's pretty cool in depth look at one of the most fetishized people in right wing culture though

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Wait, Barbara was gay? I thought she was into Pedro Pascal?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
This film is terrible and lazily written on a level that makes the hackiest Marvel or DC movies that came before it feel like intricately constructed cultural achievements. I am not sure it's on the level of failed Marvel TV shows.

The story, pacing, visual effects, basic shot composition and editing all have jarring moments of ineptitude. It's just bad.

Plus I mean once your embodiment of female awesomeness spends 65 years pining over a dude she met that one time so she can inadvertently steal another man's body to put her memories of her dead boyfriend in him and screw him almost immediately... I dunno, man. That's not hosed up subtext, that's just "poo poo the movie did BUT WHY?!"

Even in the logic of magical hero movies this kind of makes no sense for the characters to just go along with. It's psychopathic for one thing. But also the films tell us she's aware of evil mind gently caress bullshit existing in her magic world, so she has to be an absolute idiot in the context of the film to just roll with it as long as she does.

So much of this film is just WHAT ARE WE EVEN DOING that it's sort of shocking. It looks genuinely bad in places and everything is sort of vaguely confusing or dumb.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The mall scene is so bad. It’s 10 minutes of her just going back and forth, failing to incapacitate anyone so she has to keep coming back to nudge them again. It was boring, took forever, and Diana’s inability to settle everything was odd to watch.

I guess it’s to show she’s a pacifist. But then she throws them off a roof into a police car even though three of them merely stole property and were not okay with hurting anyone. In a movie where kicking a rapist’s rear end is said to be “going too far.”

What was the guy hanging the girl over the balcony gonna do, anyway? He’s stuck standing there forever, as soon as he tries to flee he’s lost his leverage.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

WB wanted to cut two expensive set pieces that constitute the only action in the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That tweet doesn’t actually link to an article right? So confused.

Tried to find where she said that but just found IGNs 8/10 review.

https://www.ign.com/articles/wonder-woman-1984-review

quote:

GREAT

Wonder Woman 1984 is a bright and hopeful adventure that pays loving homage to the superhero movies of yesteryear.