Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also the second dose might be a different vaccine if they don't have the same one stocked that day
https://twitter.com/dannyjnwong/status/1344956389148520448

That seems like a very bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

xcheopis posted:

That seems like a very bad idea.

Maybe. No one knows!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Akuma posted:

Had anyone posted in here about the UK gov's decision to extend the time for a second dose of the two vaccines from 3 weeks to 3 months, discarding the fact that for one of the vaccines none of the trials involved that sort of timescale so we literally have no idea what effect it will have?

For gently caress's sake.
Weirdly some immunologists are saying it makes sense and there's a general phenomenon of boosters being more effective after a longer wait across all vaccine types, in addition to the limited AZ data supporting the move. So this might actually not be as bad an idea as it seems.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Scarodactyl posted:

Weirdly some immunologists are saying it makes sense and there's a general phenomenon of boosters being more effective after a longer wait across all vaccine types, in addition to the limited AZ data supporting the move. So this might actually not be as bad an idea as it seems.

Aren't boosters typically the same vaccine though?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

xcheopis posted:

Aren't boosters typically the same vaccine though?
Two different issues in wonky UK decisions. One is extended wait, the other is mix'n'match.

Boosting with a different style of vaccine is sometimes done and can yield good results. But typically the order matters I think? And usually it would be done with complementary approaches like dead vs live attenuated? It is not an insane thing to try....in a clinical trial. On a population level it's a damned desperate move. If you're that desperate maybe something like a legit lockdown would be more sensible.

prick with tenure
May 21, 2007

Sorry, but that doesn't convulse my being.

QuarkJets posted:

Maybe they wanted to incite copycats? Chuds believe strongly in the "silent majority" myth, maybe this one expects a bunch of other medical workers to start doing similar things

You're right though, it's hard to know what they were actually thinking

E: Ah didn't see the latest update, I guess the plan all along was to not get caught but for some of those people getting the spoiled vaccine to complain about it when they get coronavirus later

So this person is just stupid, basically. Even the most effective vaccine is not 100% effective, there were already going to be individuals that antivaxxers could point to as evidence for their mistaken conclusions

If it’s the silent majority thing why not just throw the vials out? But at least this makes sense of why he didn’t really try to avoid getting caught.

The “I’m gonna try to convince people the vaccine doesn’t work” thing doesn’t make any sense either. If he believes the vaccine doesn’t work then there’s no need to tamper with the vials. If he does think the vaccine works why would he be anti-vax? Maybe he thinks they do work but the risks outweigh the benefit so he just tried to convince people they don’t work at all?? Or maybe it’s the full psycho thing that he thinks the vaccine works but wants to cause as much suffering as possible by convincing people it doesn’t work? But if it’s either of those why so little effort to avoid getting caught before the people who got the shot start getting sick?

It’s like six to ten years to get a pharmacy degree after HS in the US, that’s why it’s so weird. I’d expect what he did to make some kind of sense if he was prepared to blow his whole career for it. Just a total dumbass, maybe.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
6 to 10 years to mostly be a drugstore cashier. Jesus Christ. I've always wondered why anyone would want to be a pharmacist, they always seem stressed out. it looks like a lovely job.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Maybe he got some of that nasty post-covid psychosis (psycovid?)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Medical officials in Tennessee have already been caught letting their friends and relatives jump the queue and get vaccinated way ahead of schedule, after they'd turned away others and told them they'd run out of doses

https://twitter.com/calliestarnes/status/1345023735879917568
https://twitter.com/calliestarnes/status/1345090708210855938

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

AnnoyBot posted:

It's the same risk to the individual, if you get it. However it's much worse for the population, even worse than if transmissibility is equal but severity 50% worse.

There was a Ding post (I think) where modeling estimated that for 10000 people, ~50% increase in severity gave ~125 extra deaths, but 50% increase in transmissibility gave ~930 extra deaths. These numbers are from my fuzzy memory, but the gist is there. The new variant is scary.

So its going to be our biggest post Brexit export?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Medical officials in Tennessee have already been caught letting their friends and relatives jump the queue and get vaccinated way ahead of schedule, after they'd turned away others and told them they'd run out of doses

https://twitter.com/calliestarnes/status/1345023735879917568
https://twitter.com/calliestarnes/status/1345090708210855938

This was to be expected but it still makes me irrationally angry. Every single one who received their vaccine that way should be charged with a felony. And those who gave it should have manslaugther charges x the vaccines given or something for denying other's who were higher risk the vaccine.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hopper posted:

This was to be expected but it still makes me irrationally angry. Every single one who received their vaccine that way should be charged with a felony. And those who gave it should have manslaugther charges x the vaccines given or something for denying other's who were higher risk the vaccine.

rupert murdoch got his and hes most of the reason anti vax poo poo is on tv

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Thanks.

Blitter posted:

Very recent and strong evidence that the UK variant doesn't break immunity:

Efforts are underway to reproduce a study with the SA variant, which has significantly more spike mutations/deletions.

Thank you. Appreciate the effort.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Ding ding ding

The CDC should be proactively studying and sequencing random samples to track the mutations. I seriously bet that it's a huge part of the Covid explosion in SoCal

In the UK we've had stories stating that we're finding these variants because we do a lot of sequencing of samples, including for other countries (I heard a claim of 45% of all the covid sequencing is done in the UK?), and that's why they were also saying about another even-more transmissible variant from South Africa almost immediately afterwards (and to try to deflect attention from #PlagueIsland trending, I suspect...)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Robo Reagan posted:

What does he need one for? Aren't lichs immune to disease already?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Blorange posted:

It's been detected nationally, I bet the November surge has been riding on this strain and the US just hasn't devoted enough (any?) resources to detecting it.
The main international database for SARS-CoV-2 genomes right now is GISAID. As of the last time I checked (Dec 24), the USA had submitted around 40 genomes up to that point in December, while the UK added ~3800 in the same time period. The UK has about 1/5 the population of the US as well. If that tells you anything about the US's surveillance efforts.

Robo Reagan posted:

I wonder if any single human being has done more damage to humanity, ever, than Rupert Murdoch.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Scarodactyl posted:

It seems kinda immoral to try this poo poo on without trials to back it up. What if mixing vaccines causes some sort of hosed immune response or something like that?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HoAssHo posted:

6 to 10 years to mostly be a drugstore cashier. Jesus Christ. I've always wondered why anyone would want to be a pharmacist, they always seem stressed out. it looks like a lovely job.

Pharmacists are paid well. That's all it is

Degreed pharmacists specifically, not pharmacy technicians

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Zugzwang posted:

I wonder if any single human being has done more damage to humanity, ever, than Rupert Murdoch.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

It seems kinda immoral to try this poo poo on without trials to back it up. What if mixing vaccines causes some sort of hosed immune response or something like that?
The longer delay between doses is iffy but makes some sense, especially with thr AZ one with some data showing it does much better that way. Iffy but maybe understandable.
Mixing them willy nilly is far less defensible outside of a controlled trial. It will probably be OK but that isn't a good basis for health policy. Definitely a good thing to test in clinical trials which should already be starting up.
If you're going to make big, desperate moves (as the situation warrants) how about a big lockdown with money and supplies for people instead? Seems like a much less risky move.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

HoAssHo posted:

Hospital pharmacists have interesting jobs that utilize their training, but that only accounts for something like 20% of the available positions. Everyone goes into the field thinking they will get these coveted clinical jobs, but most end up working in the salt mines of CVS.

That's just another reason why this person's actions are so baffling. They had one of the good jobs and just threw it all away.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

prick with tenure posted:

If it’s the silent majority thing why not just throw the vials out? But at least this makes sense of why he didn’t really try to avoid getting caught.

The “I’m gonna try to convince people the vaccine doesn’t work” thing doesn’t make any sense either. If he believes the vaccine doesn’t work then there’s no need to tamper with the vials. If he does think the vaccine works why would he be anti-vax? Maybe he thinks they do work but the risks outweigh the benefit so he just tried to convince people they don’t work at all?? Or maybe it’s the full psycho thing that he thinks the vaccine works but wants to cause as much suffering as possible by convincing people it doesn’t work? But if it’s either of those why so little effort to avoid getting caught before the people who got the shot start getting sick?

It’s like six to ten years to get a pharmacy degree after HS in the US, that’s why it’s so weird. I’d expect what he did to make some kind of sense if he was prepared to blow his whole career for it. Just a total dumbass, maybe.

The conspiracy world is pretty animated over the mRNA vaccines (presumably because they don't have the adjuvants and preservatives that they like to say are the evil thing in traditional vaccines so they ahve to come up with a whole new conspiracy), claiming they rewrite all of the DNA in your body for... reasons. If he's a believer in those conspiracies *and* aware of how fragile the vaccines are, his actions make sense - he's "saving" the patients by deactivating the evil mRNA, without having to deal with the brainwashed sheeple demanding their jabs that he'd have got if he just refused to give them.

Admittedly this requires a pretty narrow window of knowledge and conspiracism (and dumbness in presumably believing he wouldn't get caught) but it's a big world and the chances of him - and others - being in that sweet spot are probably pretty high.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Just remember why someone would do it doesn't make sense so don't try to make sense of it. They're anti-logic and anti-reality because they are very loving dumb and also insane.

(they also probably make up like 40% of the population at least judging by how many people voted trump)

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 2, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Boy seeing people celebrate the New Year at parties and going out to eat with their families is not at all loving upsetting. The loving Swedish prime minister got caught going to a mall two days for a loving watch after having a big statement on how we need to avoid the sales after Xmas in stores or need to keep our distance. Other officials have been caught doing similar as well.

Why do I wear a mask at all when maybe half the population does on a good day? Why do I feel guilty wanting to go downtown masked up and buy something that isn’t groceries? Why did I stay in Sweden for the holidays instead of visiting loved ones in the US? Others traveled to the ski slopes or South Africa or try and get back to England to see family. Sure I survived a zoom call and it was nice and all but clearly I could have just gone to my mom’s like usual because others did.

I feel like an idiot caring and trying to do the right thing, which I know is loving stupid. But gently caress I’m angry and exhausted of it all. I know I need to keep at it and keep doing what is really bare minimum to try and hinder the spread. But seeing others clearly not care is sucking the life out of me. I feel so spoiled for complaining because I haven’t had it affect me directly as much as others, but Jesus gently caress I feel like screaming into a pillow for hours. I cannot imagine being a healthcare worker during any of this.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 2, 2021

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

teen witch posted:

Boy seeing people celebrate the New Year at parties and going out to eat with their families is not at all loving upsetting. The loving Swedish prime minister got caught going to a mall two days for a loving watch after having a big statement on how we need to avoid the sales after Xmas in stores or need to keep our distance. Other officials have been caught doing similar as well.

Why do I wear a mask at all when maybe half the population does on a good day? Why do I feel guilty wanting to go downtown masked up and buy something that isn’t groceries? Why did I stay in Sweden for the holidays instead of visiting loved ones in the US? Others traveled to the ski slopes or South Africa or try and get back to England to see family. Sure I survived a zoom call and it was nice and all but clearly I could have just gone to my mom’s like usual because others did.

I feel like an idiot caring and trying to do the right thing, which I know is loving stupid. But gently caress I’m angry and exhausted of it all. I know I need to keep at it and keep doing what is really bare minimum to try and hinder the spread. But seeing others clearly not care is sucking the life out of me. I feel so spoiled for complaining because I haven’t had it affect me directly as much as others, but Jesus gently caress I feel like screaming into a pillow for hours. I cannot imagine being a healthcare worker during any of this.

You chose the wrong scandi country to live in, assuming it was a choice.

I feel your anger though. Tonnes of people did the right thing, and the thing keeping everything locked down in Denmark is a bunch of either boomers in nursing homes having parties with 90 people present or my fellow millennials going shopping with their spouse and kids in tow in the smallest supermarkets in the country. gently caress. Just stay at home and we can all get out sooner, but noooooooo aunty Gertrud just turned 85 and is still somehow alive with advanced dementia and we just have to invite everyone and their dog.

My mom works in a covid trace call center and it's an endless barrage of idiots who either can't or won't isolate with their nearest families. MENA Boomer men are especially bad because they apparently have mens only clubs where they meet, while their wives and children stay at home not meeting with anyone else. Next on the list are 18-25 with no symptoms who partied and partied, and then the idiots who went to Sweden to do their late Christmas shopping because, and I quote, "everything is open there, it's fine".

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Akuma posted:

Had anyone posted in here about the UK gov's decision to extend the time for a second dose of the two vaccines from 3 weeks to 3 months, discarding the fact that for one of the vaccines none of the trials involved that sort of timescale so we literally have no idea what effect it will have?

For gently caress's sake.

sounds like a BREXIT!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

teen witch posted:

This is the most exhausting part, honestly. There are just terrible incentives all around--bad behaviour goes relatively unpunished for most offenders while good behaviour is basically a punishment in itself because of the isolation. Meanwhile, media is full of jackasses smugging it up for everyone and it's plastered everywhere because it ~drives engagement~ and people staying in to do another jigsaw puzzle or do another Zoom call with their parents just get ignored. Idiots get tons of reinforcement just from seeing their actions mirrored everywhere, they're further encouraged by the complete absence of leadership in most countries, and it feels like people who do the right thing get practically no support from anywhere so we have to dig deep and find the will to do it all again every new day.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(Ă¢Â–Â°Ă‹Â˜vĂ‹Â˜Ă¢Â–Â°)
Trying at all in Sweden is pointless since almost no one uses masks etc. Stuff like gyms have been open for the entire pandemic and they've been packed etc

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

hemale in pain posted:

Just remember why someone would do it doesn't make sense so don't try to make sense of it. They're anti-logic and anti-reality because they are very loving dumb and also insane.

(they also probably make up like 40% of the population at least judging by how many people voted trump)

It really amazes me how long it took someone to point out that the irrational action was almost assuredly backed by irrational motivations so there isnt much point in trying to find a scenario where his decision made sense.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

teen witch posted:

Oof. People stare at me like I'm insane for going out to do my groceries with double masks and face shield. If you ever dare to say someone to mask on facebook or how wrong was to make a big party, they will instantly get mad and say you are just ~*jealous*~.

Jealous of getting sick, dying or killing others, I guess.

Anyway, the neighbors next door had a parade of visitors during New Year. It's an old couple, the lady got a heart surgery years ago and it's on a forever special diet and medication, her husband is/was a chain smoker with diabetes. They are like the type that would fall like flies, yet their sons,daughters and friends seem to not give two shits.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast
I came across a very :3 video by a Norwegian biostatistician, who illustrates various outcomes of different R0 values with crocheting.

Each sample starts with 10 infected, and there are 9 generations of spread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lxKUulMxH8

R0 = 1.2

R0 = 1.5

Current value achieved with mandates in the US varies between 1.2 and 1.5

R0 = 2.0

R0 = 2.5

That's 15259 cases from 10 in 9 generations.

The UK variant is going to loving tear poo poo up.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

can we call it the england virus now

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
British bug.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Brexit from life!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

teen witch posted:

The loving Swedish prime minister got caught going to a mall two days for a loving watch after having a big statement on how we need to avoid the sales after Xmas in stores or need to keep our distance. Other officials have been caught doing similar as well.
This seems to be a common problem. I'm in California, and our governor and various local officials (in numerous localities) have been busted doing similar things. Goddamn people, lockdowns suck and are very unpopular, so you need to set a good example.

FoolyCharged posted:

It really amazes me how long it took someone to point out that the irrational action was almost assuredly backed by irrational motivations so there isnt much point in trying to find a scenario where his decision made sense.
(Ex-)pharmacist dude did have rationale that made sense to him, I'm sure, even if it doesn't to the rest of us.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

teen witch posted:

There’s a few ways I help deal with what your describing above:
1. YOU are NOT alone. There are millions if not billions of people doing what you are, making the right decisions. You never see them, because they rarely go out of their homes. You are mostly seeing the people that don’t. If you are not a front line/essential service worker, you are being a hero of sorts by doing the right things and protecting others with your actions.

2. Humans default to their “fight or flight” systems when facing a threat.
You can’t run from something you can’t see, so I feel the people that fall into the flight grouping just try to ignore it all, and tell themselves it’s not a threat, or “it’s not that bad”. The threat is so great to their personal freedoms that they take (possible unconsciously) the selfish route.

People that fall into the fight category (you and me), choose to educate themselves, choose to search out the facts, choose to isolate, and when we do go out (groceries/medicine/forced to go to work) we choose to wear a mask, social distance, make indoor shopping visits as short as possible, wash our hands, etc. We are choosing to protect ourselves and others. WE are the compassionate ones.

3. I also tell myself this everyday:
Would I feel worse than I do right now if I let my guard down, even a little, and got sick/put others at risk? The answer is always a resounding YES. So I take pride in the right decisions I choose to make.

It’s hard to make the right choices as we can’t see the impact we’re making, because it’s drowned out by all the people making poor decisions mainly because their brain tells them to as part of their built in threat response system.

I don’t know you at all, but I respect you, and applaud your decision to make the right choices. Many other people share in this as well. You are one of the good ones, and please keep up the fight. You are not alone, and many people WILL benefit from your correct decisions, even if they don’t realize it.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Kragger99 posted:

1. YOU are NOT alone. There are millions if not billions of people doing what you are, making the right decisions. You never see them, because they rarely go out of their homes. You are mostly seeing the people that don’t. If you are not a front line/essential service worker, you are being a hero of sorts by doing the right things and protecting others with your actions.

2. Humans default to their “fight or flight” systems when facing a threat.
You can’t run from something you can’t see, so I feel the people that fall into the flight grouping just try to ignore it all, and tell themselves it’s not a threat, or “it’s not that bad”. The threat is so great to their personal freedoms that they take (possible unconsciously) the selfish route.

People that fall into the fight category (you and me), choose to educate themselves, choose to search out the facts, choose to isolate, and when we do go out (groceries/medicine/forced to go to work) we choose to wear a mask, social distance, make indoor shopping visits as short as possible, wash our hands, etc. We are choosing to protect ourselves and others. WE are the compassionate ones.

3. I also tell myself this everyday:
Would I feel worse than I do right now if I let my guard down, even a little, and got sick/put others at risk? The answer is always a resounding YES. So I take pride in the right decisions I choose to make.

It’s hard to make the right choices as we can’t see the impact we’re making, because it’s drowned out by all the people making poor decisions mainly because their brain tells them to as part of their built in threat response system.

I don’t know you at all, but I respect you, and applaud your decision to make the right choices. Many other people share in this as well. You are one of the good ones, and please keep up the fight. You are not alone, and many people WILL benefit from your correct decisions, even if they don’t realize it.

Not OP, but I needed to hear this today. Thank you.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

poverty goat posted:

can we call it the england virus now

The Hubris strain.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kragger99 posted:

Also not OP but this is good poo poo, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Desperado Bones posted:

Oof. People stare at me like I'm insane for going out to do my groceries with double masks and face shield. If you ever dare to say someone to mask on facebook or how wrong was to make a big party, they will instantly get mad and say you are just ~*jealous*~.

tbf im pretty loving jealous since i have awful asthma and because of that hosed up blood pressure. yeah itd be nice to know i could catch it and have a chance of not dying like most of the population but that poo poo's gonna kill my rear end if i get it lmao