Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

finally got the bike i ordered in july. it's a steel ribble endurance 725 with 105. put purple pedals on to see if the color scheme worked as i'm waiting on a wheelset with hed belgium+ rims and purple hope hubs. hoping it'll be around 20 pounds with the carbon bars/seatpost and lighter wheels/tires/saddle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Went and rode the hard water today. Almost made it on to Lake Winnipeg but the ice at the mouth sketched me out so I turned back before I ended up taking a swim in the middle of nowhere.

Put the flats back on and ditched the dropper. No reason for those today and I kinda want my Baffin boots for middle of nowhere ice riding.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

EvilJoven posted:

45nrth Wolvhammer BOA. They normally retail for $400 Canadian but I didn't pay nearly that much. I'm hoping that the covid bike boom turns into a huge crop of new riders that want gear like this. It'd maybe open up the market and drive prices down and make it more accessible to everyone.

2020 was the year that supply eventually got drained.
2021 will be the year that the supply chain didn't recover...those backorder dates I'm seeing for all kinds of components are probably realistic.

I also don't think a bike boom would have a significant impact on niche markets like freezing cold weather cycling shoes.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Went and rode the hard water today. Almost made it on to Lake Winnipeg but the ice at the mouth sketched me out so I turned back before I ended up taking a swim in the middle of nowhere.

Put the flats back on and ditched the dropper. No reason for those today and I kinda want my Baffin boots for middle of nowhere ice riding.

this rules and i wish i had a wonderful expanse of ice and snow to play on

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

finally got the bike i ordered in july. it's a steel ribble endurance 725 with 105. put purple pedals on to see if the color scheme worked as i'm waiting on a wheelset with hed belgium+ rims and purple hope hubs. hoping it'll be around 20 pounds with the carbon bars/seatpost and lighter wheels/tires/saddle

i lichael this bichael

do the bar tape half purple half yellow :getin:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Everything's plowed, salted or melted aside from the bike path bridges, which I had to walk across because they were still ice.

And then towards the middle of the trail, coming around a turn on a downhill there's this in front of me, which is all solid ice.

Wear a helmet because mine got a nice smack on the ice yesterday.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Get some studded tires and go have a great time on that

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
For real.

Also throw out your helmet and buy a new one. When it comes to crashing and hitting your head they're all one and done.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

This is why I wear a ski helmet without EPS foam when playing around on ice

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Get some studded tires and go have a great time on that
Only when going straight.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

This is why I wear a ski helmet without EPS foam when playing around on ice
yeah those soft-shell giros are the bomb.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Riding a bike with studded tires on glare ice is kinda like driving an early 911. It's super fun as long as you remember to slow down before turning in.

Don't and you become a great example of some of the more interesting properties of physics.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Found a good wall today :3:

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Praise be to the wheels gods! Lest our wheels end up like this monumental warning.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey look it's the wheels that come on a Lochside bike.

My wife bought me some dope socks for xmas but they're stuck in the mail so she drew me a picture of them to put in my stocking.

Sick.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 25, 2020

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Hey look it's the wheels that come on a Lochside bike.

My wife bought me some dope socks for xmas but they're stuck in the mail so she drew me a picture of them to put in my stocking.

Sick.

going to need more info + pictures of these when they arrive

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

From here.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

New cable housings and bar tape. Wish the tape was darker brown.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

loaf posted:

I like the look of this a lot. That is one hell of a steerer tube.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

That is one hell of a steerer tube.

Surly.txt

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

loaf posted:

love this.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I like the look of this a lot. That is one hell of a steerer tube.

I was afraid of making permanent changes since I have no idea what I'm doing, but it's way past time to chop the steerer. It was much easier than I expected! All I needed was a $20 tube cutter from the hardware store. I drove the star nut with a socket and a hammer.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Needs some stainless Arundel Mandibles.

lodie
Feb 8, 2004

e.pilot posted:

Found a good wall today :3:

sup

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

:3:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

loaf posted:

I was afraid of making permanent changes since I have no idea what I'm doing, but it's way past time to chop the steerer. It was much easier than I expected! All I needed was a $20 tube cutter from the hardware store. I drove the star nut with a socket and a hammer.

With silver fenders and rack it'll be :perfect:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, hit up Velo Orange.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Does one of those actuate the quick release? Like the design is to have the wheel loose while riding and changing gears? :stonk:

E: backpedal while shifting?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

CopperHound posted:

Does one of those actuate the quick release? Like the design is to have the wheel loose while riding and changing gears? :stonk:

I saw one of these in action at the bike museum in fairfax, CA. The way the docent explained it, the wheel crawls up and down the teeth in the dropout and it's not loose like a quick release.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Love this paint job!

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Anza Borrego posted:

Love this paint job!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

do you actually have this? those old rear end Cambio Corsa systems are worth $Texas on the vintage market

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CopperHound posted:

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/French_Patent_899402_-_Campagnolo.html

quote:

This patent describes the Campagnolo Corsa, a nightmare system of beautifully chromed rods attached to your chain-side seat-stay. It works something like this:

First you drop out of the peleton so that you do not cause a catastrophic pile-up.
Then you twist the top lever. This slakens off your rear quick release.
Then you fiddle around with the lower lever while back pedalling in a hopeful attempt to force the chain onto the other of two sprockets that you have on your hub.
Then you pedal gently forward to 'position' the rear wheel.
Then you twist the top lever back to its original position to relock the quick release.
Then you sprint like crazy to try to get back onto the rear-most wheel of the peleton.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

do you actually have this? those old rear end Cambio Corsa systems are worth $Texas on the vintage market

nope just thought it was neat.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Pictures from the first 4 days of the year with some good climbs:

Top of Gibraltar at the Fire Watch Tower

Pano Version (I was too paranoid to step too far from the bike so I didn't get it in)

Top of Painted Cave

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

loaf posted:

from previous experience, it will be, once you ride it without gloves for about a year :)

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Gibraltar/Painted Cave loop is insanely good. Santa Barbara has some great riding.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
About as high/far as I was willing to go, I had already had to go into the gravel off the side of the pavement to avoid ice. This area got hit by multiple fires this fall, it is always interesting to take a trip through here to see how much nature fucks up this road. Its been permanently closed to cars for 40 years.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Good Dog posted:

Its been permanently closed to cars for 40 years.
:allears: sounds perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Good Dog posted:

About as high/far as I was willing to go, I had already had to go into the gravel off the side of the pavement to avoid ice. This area got hit by multiple fires this fall, it is always interesting to take a trip through here to see how much nature fucks up this road. Its been permanently closed to cars for 40 years.

In for riding this once riding together is a thing again.