Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Yinlock posted:

me reading lp: wow why is he such a dick to clerks

me playing: well i made a bee mad, time to execute this entire department

:lobcorp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mountain of Smiling Bodies really makes you want to minimize casualties. By maximizing them. :lobcorp:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yinlock posted:

Mountain of Smiling Bodies really makes you want to minimize casualties. By maximizing them. :lobcorp:

Look clearly they aren't dying, they're just being sent to a farm upstate. That's why Mountain doesn't get mad about it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Look clearly they aren't dying, they're just being sent to a farm upstate. That's why Mountain doesn't get mad about it.

true, just because they get swallowed into an unfathomable black hole and are never seen again doesn't mean they couldn't, in some universe, be totally fine

I'll tell you what they're not: my problem

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Yinlock posted:

true, just because they get swallowed into an unfathomable black hole and are never seen again doesn't mean they couldn't, in some universe, be totally fine

I'll tell you what they're not: my problem

There comes a point in any aspiring manager's life where in addition to just deleting clerks, they tell themselves "I had seven casualties but it's meltdown level 8 and I cleared the mission I'm just going to call that a win."

That, I feel, is the final step in understanding what a dick the manager is.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

There comes a point in any aspiring manager's life where in addition to just deleting clerks, they tell themselves "I had seven casualties but it's meltdown level 8 and I cleared the mission I'm just going to call that a win."

That, I feel, is the final step in understanding what a dick the manager is.

it's kind of amazing the kind of rear end in a top hat decisions you'll casually make while playing

look there was no HE equipment left to extract for that mission, I had no other choice but to sacrifice 3 new employees to porccubus rather than be mildly inconvenienced

Horrific Cruelty Doesn't Count If I Rewind Time Afterwards - My Autobiography

e: and the manager is still probably one of the nicest bosses in this world. capitalism!

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 26, 2020

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I’ve come across YouTube videos where it turns out there are Lobotomy Corp Slay the Spire mods, which are actually pretty good.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I've played around with them-Angela is a super busted character if played correctly and I was gonna do something with it if the thread's going come march-april.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Speaking of that mod, TeeQueue mentioned it to me and how Angela's most effective strategy is CAST BULLET

therefore

An interpretation of Angela doing the Gebura suppression fight in the mod

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 27, 2020

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Folks - I have yet to clear the game but am vaguely familiar with how the endgame is supposed to play out - specifically that it starts on day 46. Have I screwed myself into doing a day 1 reset here?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

A jargogle posted:

Folks - I have yet to clear the game but am vaguely familiar with how the endgame is supposed to play out - specifically that it starts on day 46. Have I screwed myself into doing a day 1 reset here?

Sure looks like it! :wave:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Definitely looks like it. You’ll have to expand the department to 5, which since it’s at level 1 will be done on day 45, giving you the cutscene and unlock the fight on day 46. :negative:

This is why going 3-2 or 2-3 is so important on the lower layer if trying to one loop all the suppressions.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Christ. Is there a console command or similar for cheating my way out of this hole? I'm afraid it's just too tedious to do another day 1 reset.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

there is a console with some commands related to missions and research, but I can't speak to how well you can affect game progression with them. you'll definitely want to back your save up: \Users\<your user name>\AppData\LocalLow\Project_Moon. apparently you'll need basemod and this activation mod to make the commands work at all.

there's a list of all the commands on the Russian wiki. couldn't find an English source anywhere, but you can machine translate these pages and sort of make sense of them.

standard bossiscoming (department ID) - during the setup phase, triggers core suppression on that day.
standard missionimpossible (mission ID) - during setup or management, triggers (completes?) a mission the next day or after a day restart.
standard alldone - during management, unlocks all research the next day(?), not sure if this would count.

seem like the ones you want to try. the IDs are in tables at the bottom of the page. you might have to watch some cutscenes on youtube :shrug:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

so is there a reason why on phase 3 of binah's suppression every single qlipoth counter hits 0 at once for no reason

is it because i was trying to rabbit-cheese her, or tried to pause once, I just can't nail down why it's happening but I would prefer it if it stopped

this suppression is already enough of a pain in the rear end with burrowing heaven, schadenfruede and 4 "use this tool too long/not enough and you die" abnormalities in my facility I don't need a you lose condition on top of that

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 29, 2020

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Yinlock posted:

so is there a reason why on phase 3 of binah's suppression every single qlipoth counter hits 0 at once for no reason

is it because i was trying to rabbit-cheese her, or tried to pause once, I just can't nail down why it's happening but I would prefer it if it stopped

this suppression is already enough of a pain in the rear end with burrowing heaven, schadenfruede and 4 "use this tool too long/not enough and you die" abnormalities in my facility I don't need a you lose condition on top of that

Phase 3 of Binah spawns meltdowns like the other 2 phases, and THOSE can lower QC's to 0, but she doesn't do anything like that on her own. When that sort of thing happens to me it's usually because I did something like keep someone in flesh idol and forget to have them leave for too long or PUSHED THE BUTTON.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TeeQueue posted:

Phase 3 of Binah spawns meltdowns like the other 2 phases, and THOSE can lower QC's to 0, but she doesn't do anything like that on her own. When that sort of thing happens to me it's usually because I did something like keep someone in flesh idol and forget to have them leave for too long or PUSHED THE BUTTON.

FLESH IDOL gently caress

I forgot that thing exists entirely while trying to keep track of Shelter and the nightmare that is the life ring

that must be it, I didn't even know it could do that, thanks

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

okay did it

as an aside now that i'm past that, black fixers are insanely rude. I mean I guess it's my fault for putting Yin, CENSORED, and Silent Orchestra in the same hallway but you don't have to call me out like this

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

(dumb) thoughts/questions about LC/LoR (spoilers for both, seriously):

Am I completely off base in feeling like the setting PM made functions quite well as a (probably unintentional) critique of Anarcho-Capitalism but simultaneously it's like the theme in a lot of beats is "- and the answer is egoist anarchism instead"? What I mean by the dumb way I'm phrasing this is, you seem to get a lot of moments in (primarily) LoR and LC where "caring about others rather than caring for yourself" is unambiguously framed in a negative light; Philip seems like a good example in LoR, we just had the following line in the LP "The only problem was that Carmen was too wrapped up with taking care of others.", later on in LoR it's revealed that Carmen's plan was literally that exaggerated parody political cartoon where a polite society can only be formed if we arm every individual with their own suitcase nuke - in other words, the way to fix the crapstack individualist world Carmen lived in, in her mind, was by making everyone even more individualistic and capable of fighting back, rather than any sort of collective solution or systemic change, etc... I'm pretty sure I've forgotten a few examples too, LoR felt like every time anyone mentions caring about others it's always framed as a bad call and that they should have cared about themselves first and foremost? Hell isn't that literally Kali's backstory in LoR, with how the people she was guarding in her neighborhood turned on her?

idk, maybe this is all a misread and I'll be honest it doesn't bother me TOO much, the setting is really unique and I super dig they're making more, it's just a weird thematic thing I feel suffuses the setting.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Keep in mind the "caring about other people is bad" message invariably comes from people who are still super traumatized due to bad things happening to the people they cared about. It's a lot of Roland taking bitter jabs at himself, not what the writers are advocating. The takeaway isn't that people are wrong for forming connections with one another, it's that the city and monstrous, exploitative capitalism are wrong for making it so perilous.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 29, 2020

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Well, here are my own Dumb Thoughts in response.

Despite Carmen being so self-sacrificing that she neglected her own mental health to the point of suicide, her caring about other people is framed as a very good thing, to the point that her attempt at bringing hope to a hopeless world is a central theme of the whole plotline, so I wouldn't really take a 'caring about others is bad' message home from it. Her and Ayin's means at bringing it about though, what with letting 'everybody manifest their potential' aka. the Personal Nuclear Armaments Scenario, and the actual importance of the Light, has been somewhat questioned by the central cast already, which makes me think the implications of their end goal will get more focus when we get to the finale. As per the specific characters who've been owned due to being nice, it's usually made as a means to show how crapsack the City is in its current state (as in, something that ought to be changed, rather than something that is Just The Way Things Naturally Are), and to give the characters who've been made cynical by personal trauma a chance to wax poetic about how bad everything is, which doesn't really read as an affirmation of the viewpoint, to me.

Also, I would not characterize Philip as somebody nice, as much as a coward that hides behind meekness to wallow in self-pity. His whole issue is not asserting himself and then making up all these elaborate fantasies in which he is the victim of other people's disregard, which is how Oswald gets to him.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 29, 2020

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Thoughts on Lob Corp/LoR

The thing about the light that it isn't just a method to grant everyone EGO. It's repeatedly stated that no one in the City holds hope for the future and are just willing to perpetuate the status quo no matter how lovely it is because they are afraid of rocking the boat and ignoring the results of their own actions because 'that's that, and this is this'. The Light was meant to spur people to hope for bring on a better future and also give them EGOs so they wouldn't be trivially crushed by the Head and the rest of the Wings; and given how powerful individual people can be giving people power to stand for themselves is probably an intrinsic part of people having hope again.

Carmen's fault (and to a much greater extent Ayin) is the whole One Sin and a Hundred Good Deeds that have led her to be willing to sacrifice other people in the name of saving the world. Which led to Angela hijacking the Light for her own purposes because of the all the poo poo that she had suffered, which if she continues in her current trajectory will be hijacked by Roland for the same reasons (who will be usurped again by the victims he created and so on and so forth).

To echo the other posters, the people who push the whole 'caring about other people is bad' are people to internalized it to protect themselves from the callousness of the city. Roland is the spearhead of such views and he is biased as gently caress and not interested in examining his own motivations (which Binah roasts him about). His advice and counsel to Angela is also biased along the same lines which can be seen by his bad advice in the second R Corp post battle scene juxtaposed with him asking if Angela feels guilty for all those people who died because of the distortions at the post battle scene in the Red Mist reception.

EDIT: Specifically, when he asserts that Myo suffering being possibly greater than Angela doesn't invalidates Angela's suffering he is 100% correct. When he uses it to dismiss Myo's suffering as not mattering because only you can understand the difficulties that you have encountered he is 100% wrong.

Roland: You shouldn't care about other people suffering and maintain a detached attitude.
Also Roland: Don't you feel guilty for all the lives you inadvertently taken (my wife among them)?

SITB fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 29, 2020

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

lets hang out posted:

there is a console with some commands related to missions and research, but I can't speak to how well you can affect game progression with them. you'll definitely want to back your save up: \Users\<your user name>\AppData\LocalLow\Project_Moon. apparently you'll need basemod and this activation mod to make the commands work at all.

there's a list of all the commands on the Russian wiki. couldn't find an English source anywhere, but you can machine translate these pages and sort of make sense of them.

standard bossiscoming (department ID) - during the setup phase, triggers core suppression on that day.
standard missionimpossible (mission ID) - during setup or management, triggers (completes?) a mission the next day or after a day restart.
standard alldone - during management, unlocks all research the next day(?), not sure if this would count.

seem like the ones you want to try. the IDs are in tables at the bottom of the page. you might have to watch some cutscenes on youtube :shrug:

Yeahhhhhhhh that's looking like some youtubing or just following the LP from now. Pity, at least I got apocalypse bird done.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Does WhiteNight spawn meltdowns? I was actually having a good run against him and then Nothing There appeared out of nowhere to wreck my poo poo :negative:

e: though it might've just been a panicking employee somehow making it all the way down to his containment unit, they seem to fuckin love beelining straight for it the second they panic

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 29, 2020

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Thing is, it seems such a consistent beat that to me it feels like it transcends the text and becomes subtext; even if everyone who has that pov has legitimate reasons to feel that way or are super traumatized or whatever (and I don't think they all do, Kali caring about her neighbors seemed selfless, for example) if it's a consistent thing across lots of characters it, uhhh, starts to read a little differently to me. idk

From your post idk how up to date you are on LoR stuff so if you want to see stuff yourself please skip my reply here:
I'm pretty sure it's been explicitly laid out in a convo with Angela in the last maybe two or three LoR updates that Carmen did, in fact, just want to arm everyone with E.G.O. so they could just, idk, live out a literal No Gods No Kings No Masters scenario.

I'm... Hrm I'm really not sure about that read on Philip though ofc I'll be more than happy to accept it when we hit the relevant points in the LP and a lot of people echo it, but my point was to use him as another example of "caring for others" being framed negatively, which even if he was doing stuff out of a kind of selfish cowardice still tracks with what I'm saying. I'd not really treat anything Oswald does or says as evidence tho, he does NOT seem like a reliable source especially given that he probably wanted to distort or twist Philip when they first encounter one another.

Much like with my reply to Theantero I'm not sure you're up to date with LoR, which is why I flagged my original post as both, so please take care here;
I'm pretty sure it's been explicitly laid out in a convo with Angela in the last maybe two or three LoR updates that Carmen did, in fact, just want to arm everyone with E.G.O. so they could just, idk, live out a literal No Gods No Kings No Masters scenario.

As for the rest I can kinda' see what you (and lets hang out) are saying, but I feel like I could have sworn that the individualistic beat I alluded to is something that comes up fairly consistently across the games, LoR in particular. I'll try to keep better track of instances of it when the LP ticks over to that game, again, I could be way off base.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

Thing is, it seems such a consistent beat that to me it feels like it transcends the text and becomes subtext; even if everyone who has that pov has legitimate reasons to feel that way or are super traumatized or whatever (and I don't think they all do, Kali caring about her neighbors seemed selfless, for example) if it's a consistent thing across lots of characters it, uhhh, starts to read a little differently to me. idk

From your post idk how up to date you are on LoR stuff so if you want to see stuff yourself please skip my reply here:

I'm... Hrm I'm really not sure about that read on Philip though ofc I'll be more than happy to accept it when we hit the relevant points in the LP and a lot of people echo it, but my point was to use him as another example of "caring for others" being framed negatively, which even if he was doing stuff out of a kind of selfish cowardice still tracks with what I'm saying. I'd not really treat anything Oswald does or says as evidence tho, he does NOT seem like a reliable source especially given that he probably wanted to distort or twist Philip when they first encounter one another.

Much like with my reply to Theantero I'm not sure you're up to date with LoR, which is why I flagged my original post as both, so please take care here;

As for the rest I can kinda' see what you (and lets hang out) are saying, but I feel like I could have sworn that the individualistic beat I alluded to is something that comes up fairly consistently across the games, LoR in particular. I'll try to keep better track of instances of it when the LP ticks over to that game, again, I could be way off base.

LoR:

I am up to date with the latest LoR content and I think that reducing Carmen's motivation to 'no gods no kings no masters' is wrong and I feel the current Briah storylines supports my point. The entire Tiphereth storyline revolves talking about the 'disease of the mind' that Carmen worked to cure and the pre-realization scene was specifically about the hope/expectation for the future to be better and Roland rebuking her about this being nonsense (and remember that Roland himself acknowledged earlier in a Tiph scene that he probably suffers from that disease of the mind too). And we do know that the Light is represented by people having actual hopes and dreams because, IIRC, Angela told that's what the Library wants to extract from the guests who were invited to the Library.

Angela does state that if the Light shined on for the full seven days everyone will gain EGO, but that was in relation to her culpability in the 'White Nights and Dark Days' where she states that people becoming Distortions is due to her meddling, I don't think it was ever implied to be the most important or sole effect, and we have Angela herself understanding more and more what Carmen/Ayin sought to cure with it being aimlessness/dispirited nature of the City by seeing all those vignettes of people.

RE Philip: Philip concern for others was self-serving as him trying to at least take pride that he is a righteous individual to excuse his cowardice; this isn't even subtext, Philip himself states it before resolving to be better and being rewarded by gaining his EGO (and then loving it up immediately once he exited the library because holding on the conviction to change yourself for the better is hard, even before Oswald interfered).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also neither Ayin nor Angela are actually able to truly represent Carmen's desires. Ayin is an rear end in a top hat, and clearly has issues with caring about people at all beyond caring about Carmen and following her vision, meanwhile Angela is explicitly a poor copy of Carmen who Ayin basically abused for not being perfect, because Ayin sucks at dealing with people in general. Carmen could have all the noble intentions in the world and it wouldn't necessarily matter because the carrier of her legacy and her second coming are both incapable of being her due to their own issues and personalities.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I just wanna say the Complete books of the Rabbit Team leads make me wonder if Carmen was all that great of a person either.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

TeeQueue posted:

I just wanna say the Complete books of the Rabbit Team leads make me wonder if Carmen was all that great of a person either.

I think the person mentioned in those might be Dias from the Distortion Detective. She's extremely rich and powerful, and has some kind of connection with Lob Corp and the Smoke War.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

lets hang out posted:

I think the person mentioned in those might be Dias from the Distortion Detective. She's extremely rich and powerful, and has some kind of connection with Lob Corp and the Smoke War.

but does she also have brown hair and red eyes? I'm nowhere near caught up on DD to be fair.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

TeeQueue posted:

but does she also have brown hair and red eyes? I'm nowhere near caught up on DD to be fair.

According to people who read DD, yes.

Also it can't be Carmen because she was busy being dead at the time. Ayin only started trying to found Lobotomy Corporation after he captured Garion and extracted all the information about how to becom a Wing and avoid the attention of the Head from her.

SITB fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Dec 30, 2020

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I linked official art of her :dawkins101:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I missed it since I only looked at the top tweets for some reason. :eng99:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://twitter.com/projmoonstudio/status/1344835922051756034

wonder if they'll crowdfund this one

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So now that it's done. I imagine that Blue-Smocked Shepherd and Reddened Buddy are meant to be a gotcha mechanic, they probably would work like Yin and Yang, where picking one forces the other to be next. They breach together (because only Blue-Smocked Shepherd has a thing that causes breaching) and they'll fight, but so long as the Shephard is breaching, the buddy will keep freaking out and becoming "the wolf" that the Shepard warns people about.

So the gotcha in game terms would be Reddened Buddy comes across as the actual threat, because the Shepherd doesn't actually hurt people (maybe he just lowers tries to make other abnormalities breach) but you can't defeat the buddy at all, you have to surpress the Shepherd.

Possibly something about him being a "hero" when he defeats the "wolf".

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

speaking of the comic abnormalities I really hope The Road Home makes it in to lobcorp 2 because it's mechanic sounds hilarious

just a house dropping from the sky and murdering an entire room

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

speaking of the comic abnormalities I really hope The Road Home makes it in to lobcorp 2 because it's mechanic sounds hilarious

just a house dropping from the sky and murdering an entire room

That is basically violent noon.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

That is basically violent noon.

VN's easy to see coming though, and it's not as funny as a house

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

day 49 is insanely rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Yinlock posted:

day 49 is insanely rude

Yep. :shepface: