Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

me your dad posted:

Would I notice any improvement in sound if I got a receiver with HDMI ports to connect to the TV? I always assumed HDMI only improved video quality and didn't realize it had an impact on sound.

No. SPDIF can do uncompressed stereo just fine, and even compressed 5.1 should be audibly transparent. It's less about sound quality and more about flexibility - HDMI supports modern codecs and formats up to a bajillion channels, CEC allows the receiver to automatically turn on/off with the TV and it's just a more familiar/convenient standard for most people. If you already use optical, you're not going to notice a difference buying a new receiver JUST for eARC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I got some bookshelf speakers for some rear speakers that I do not want to mount on a wall. Is there some go to speaker stands that are basic? This would go on a hardwood floor not carpet (I noticed that a lot come with spikes I'd need to swap out or cap).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I mean you want something heavy and cheap, but the problem is finding something like that that doesn't look like poo poo.

What's your budget?

You can try to improve crappy hollow and light ones by just filling them with sand, and most come with both types of feet for different floors.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 30, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

me your dad posted:

The last handful of replies have been interesting to read, and good timing for me since I have been considering adding a center channel to my current 2.1 setup

My current receiver is a very old Yamah HTR-5730. It powers a pair of Energy CB-20 bookshelf speakers and I am overall happy with the setup. I feel like dialogue in movies is a bit anemic so I figured a matching center channel would help with that.

Do you have your receiver, TV, and sources set to Stereo? If you have any of them set to surround then you are probably not hearing the dialogue tracks fully. If they are outputting properly and still sound “anemic” then your best fix is bigger stereo speakers, not adding a center channel that won’t match and doesn’t seem like it would really fit under your tv. If your signal is stereo then you shouldn’t have any issues hearing the dialogue track, stereo is the most commonly used output arrangement for pretty much any AV media, so it arguably gets the most scrutiny.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

I mean you want something heavy and cheap, but the problem is finding something like that that doesn't look like poo poo.

What's your budget?

You can try to improve crappy hollow and light ones by just filling them with sand, and most come with both types of feet for different floors.

Well how much does something cost that isn't poo poo but not super overkill?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh sorry. It really really is a matter of taste and budget. They're all gonna work about the same; "cheap" ones literally will just make a weird resonant ringing with some frequencies because they're made of thin metal.

If it were me, I bodge and diy a lot so I'm comfortable with something interesting but cheap.

You may want to consider if they fit your aesthetic or features like included hardware and cable management.

I won't speak above my one experiences. Just what I've learned as an amateur.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 30, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Center channel speakers don't "clear up dialog." There's nothing wrong with 3.1 but its main purpose is to increase overall output and anchor the content to the screen for people sitting outside the sweet spot. If you can't position a center properly it won't fix the problem and could even make things sound worse.

Ways to make dialog more intelligible:
  • Dynamic compression like "night theater" modes
  • Room correction
  • Better positioning for your current speakers, especially tweeters at ear level
  • Better L/R speakers
If you use a center it should be the most capable speaker in the system if your L/R are bookshelves and you should be able to point it at the listeners and not everyone's shins, 6 feet up the back wall or the front of a coffee table.

My old 3.1 system was alright but compared to my current 2.1 I had the speakers too low to the ground and too close together. Getting proper stands and giving them the room they need means I don't miss the center and dialog is just as clear as my 3.1. That said the way movies in particular are mixed there's still a bit of the perennial "dialog way lower than effect volume peaks" which a center does nothing about.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh sorry. It really really is a matter of taste and budget. They're all gonna work about the same; "cheap" ones literally will just make a weird resonant ringing with some frequencies because they're made of thin metal.

If it were me, I bodge and diy a lot so I'm comfortable with something interesting but cheap.

You may want to consider if they fit your aesthetic or features like included hardware and cable management.

I won't speak above my one experiences. Just what I've learned as an amateur.

Yeah, I'm just looking for a starting point is all. Like is the market basically going to amazon and buying whatever and if that doesn't work you're stuck with high end boutique stereo places? Do I just buy https://www.crutchfield.com/p_310SP26PL/Kanto-SP26-Black.html?tp=1386 and call it a day?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Monoprice sells cheap, solid and extremely ugly speaker stands.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Do you have your receiver, TV, and sources set to Stereo? If you have any of them set to surround then you are probably not hearing the dialogue tracks fully. If they are outputting properly and still sound “anemic” then your best fix is bigger stereo speakers, not adding a center channel that won’t match and doesn’t seem like it would really fit under your tv. If your signal is stereo then you shouldn’t have any issues hearing the dialogue track, stereo is the most commonly used output arrangement for pretty much any AV media, so it arguably gets the most scrutiny.

I know the receiver is set to Stereo. I don't know what settings my TV has but I'll look. I know it's only set to disable the built-in speakers and output to my receiver instead.

Edit - looked at the TV settings. It is currently on auto detect to "Stereo", but it has a setting called "PCM Stereo", which I don't know about.

qirex posted:

Center channel speakers don't "clear up dialog." There's nothing wrong with 3.1 but its main purpose is to increase overall output and anchor the content to the screen for people sitting outside the sweet spot. If you can't position a center properly it won't fix the problem and could even make things sound worse.

Ways to make dialog more intelligible:
  • Dynamic compression like "night theater" modes
  • Room correction
  • Better positioning for your current speakers, especially tweeters at ear level
  • Better L/R speakers
If you use a center it should be the most capable speaker in the system if your L/R are bookshelves and you should be able to point it at the listeners and not everyone's shins, 6 feet up the back wall or the front of a coffee table.

My old 3.1 system was alright but compared to my current 2.1 I had the speakers too low to the ground and too close together. Getting proper stands and giving them the room they need means I don't miss the center and dialog is just as clear as my 3.1. That said the way movies in particular are mixed there's still a bit of the perennial "dialog way lower than effect volume peaks" which a center does nothing about.

Thanks for this info. My bookshelf speaker tweeters are at ear level, and about seven feet apart. I would like to have them farther apart, but our TV room is rather narrow. I'll look into the "theater" type modes of my receiver to see what effect it has.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 30, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

qirex posted:

That said the way movies in particular are mixed there's still a bit of the perennial "dialog way lower than effect volume peaks" which a center does nothing about.

Boost center channel volume

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
So even though I got DTS working with my PS5 -> C9 -> Logitech Z-5500's I am still curious what I would need / what it would cost to make a good AV setup that can do HDMI 2.1. Looks like the Z-5550 is about 500 Watts - is that on the low end of home theater setups? I'd expect I could just re-use my rear satellites and buy a nice center channel / sub.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

me your dad posted:

I know the receiver is set to Stereo. I don't know what settings my TV has but I'll look. I know it's only set to disable the built-in speakers and output to my receiver instead.

Edit - looked at the TV settings. It is currently on auto detect to "Stereo", but it has a setting called "PCM Stereo", which I don't know about.

Thanks for this info. My bookshelf speaker tweeters are at ear level, and about seven feet apart. I would like to have them farther apart, but our TV room is rather narrow. I'll look into the "theater" type modes of my receiver to see what effect it has.

Get a pair of floorstanding speakers and be done with it and never look back. Or bigger bookshelves. Cheapest new floorstanders I’d consider are like $200/pair. For bookshelves there are many choices in the <$500/pair market.

Or if you can fit the 5.0 set I mentioned earlier + the Polk sub for $350 all-in, do that and then upgrade your system piecemeal over the next few years as you move into more permanent/bigger digs.

I think either path would make you very happy for the foreseeable future (maybe next 1-3+ years, depending on living arrangement) and give you excellent value-for-money. Either will beat what you currently have set up, and would likely serve you well at your new place after the summer.

Regardless of what you do, I would currently encourage you to keep your current receiver. If all you want is 5.1 and you’re happy with the sound, and you’re fine sending an optical signal from the TV to the receiver (which will be fine for your needs) then no reason to replace a good, functioning piece of equipment. You’ll get exponentially more mileage out of upgrading your speakers, either with a bigger 2.0/2.1 setup or with a full 5.1. Wouldn’t bother with 3.1, either a good stereo setup or do full surround. Plus a lot of media won’t come with a 3.1 track, but it will come with stereo and 5.1 surround.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 30, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

doomisland posted:

Yeah, I'm just looking for a starting point is all. Like is the market basically going to amazon and buying whatever and if that doesn't work you're stuck with high end boutique stereo places? Do I just buy https://www.crutchfield.com/p_310SP26PL/Kanto-SP26-Black.html?tp=1386 and call it a day?

If you like the look of those, I found these for half the price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081N5Z89Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Imz7FbZW4T82D

I genuinely feel the strongest factor is how you like the look of them, because they're always going to be visible.

Next up would be if they have some defect that you can hear in use; that can be tamed with weight you can add later, cheap, if you liked the look of whatever you got.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Depending on how much space you have behind the couch, whether there’s space to walk/divide the room that way, etc I’m also a big fan of putting couch tables or shelving units strategically behind them. Sometimes immediately behind like a couch table, and sometimes against the back wall. If you’re clever you can put your surrounds there

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
So it sounds like the center channel I just got for Christmas is unnecessary? Moving from a 2.0 to a 3.0 won’t make a noticeable difference in watching movies? I’ve never really had an issue with dialogue. I have 2 klipsch R-820F and now an RP-500C, but I haven’t hooked up the center yet.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yoohoo posted:

So it sounds like the center channel I just got for Christmas is unnecessary? Moving from a 2.0 to a 3.0 won’t make a noticeable difference in watching movies? I’ve never really had an issue with dialogue. I have 2 klipsch R-820F and now an RP-500C, but I haven’t hooked up the center yet.
If you have it positioned correctly it will be noticeable plus your center has the better RP design. Given that you already have Klipsch towers I don't think sufficient output will be much of a problem.

I wasn't trying to discourage people from getting a center channel overall, I just don't think it's necessary for a lot of typical small/medium home systems over getting good L/R with the same budget, which you already have. More speakers is better as long as you can set them up correctly. That said, what was your motivation for getting it?

Dogen posted:

Boost center channel volume
That boosts everything because the majority of effect and music audio goes through the center as well. It really is at least 80% of all audio through the center if you have one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Definitely disagree about the music- on movies at least they are mostly mixed to use the front L/R, from what I can tell. I have messed over the year with having no center, trying out the audyssey dynamic loudness thing, and just boosting center volume, and have found that boosting center volume works best for dialogue (esp for my wife, who has trouble picking things out and often just watches with subtitles on anyway) but everyone's ears are different of course.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So, uh, are there any soundbars with eARC compatability out or is this a Wait For 2021 thing?

I know the $1,000 Vizio Elevate (rotating speakers wtf) and I think the Samsung superbling bars that go for $1,200-2,400 have it, but anyone else under $500? Or with x.x.2 support?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

That boosts everything because the majority of effect and music audio goes through the center as well. It really is at least 80% of all audio through the center if you have one.

If you’ve ever listened to a 5.1 setup with a bigass center channel (ideally one that matches the R/L or is even bigger) it completely blows 99% of home theaters with bigass 8” floorstanders, anchored by 4” center channel drivers, away.

Most HT lines have the center channel as one of the smallest or second smallest speakers in the bunch. Like if I can’t fit a big center channel then I won’t even try. Best to spend that money making the R/L bigger and better

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you’ve ever listened to a 5.1 setup with a bigass center channel (ideally one that matches the R/L or is even bigger) it completely blows 99% of home theaters with bigass 8” floorstanders, anchored by 4” center channel drivers, away.

Most HT lines have the center channel as one of the smallest or second smallest speakers in the bunch. Like if I can’t fit a big center channel then I won’t even try. Best to spend that money making the R/L bigger and better
Yeah if you’re going to get a center it needs to be at least as good as your L/R, if not better and positioned correctly. There’s a reason KEF sells a 44” wide center that’s basically a Reference 5 laid on its side. My favorite surround system ever was 5 identical speakers, total overkill on the rears but it sounded so good.

FilthyImp posted:

So, uh, are there any soundbars with eARC compatability out or is this a Wait For 2021 thing?

I know the $1,000 Vizio Elevate (rotating speakers wtf) and I think the Samsung superbling bars that go for $1,200-2,400 have it, but anyone else under $500? Or with x.x.2 support?

The Sonos Arc does but that’s not $500. That said is Atmos from a sound bar really needed in the first place? Actual separate bounce speakers don’t do much, I can’t imagine those 3” drivers right in the middle are really going to add much. The format was designed for in ceiling speakers, all the bounce stuff is just a compromise.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

Yeah if you’re going to get a center it needs to be at least as good as your L/R, if not better and positioned correctly. There’s a reason KEF sells a 44” wide center that’s basically a Reference 5 laid on its side. My favorite surround system ever was 5 identical speakers, total overkill on the rears but it sounded so good.

Also why KEF will sell you a single LS50/meta

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

qirex posted:

If you have it positioned correctly it will be noticeable plus your center has the better RP design. Given that you already have Klipsch towers I don't think sufficient output will be much of a problem.

I wasn't trying to discourage people from getting a center channel overall, I just don't think it's necessary for a lot of typical small/medium home systems over getting good L/R with the same budget, which you already have. More speakers is better as long as you can set them up correctly. That said, what was your motivation for getting it?

My main motivation is I’m working towards an eventual surround system but slowly acquiring speakers. The other motivation is to get better dialogue out of movies and tv. As it is I have to turn the volume up to a decent level to catch everything and that can be fairly loud depending on what I’m watching, and I don’t always want to be watching movies with the floors shaking. So I’m hoping the center channel will take care of that.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Receiver and speaker shopping scares me. Halp!

NEEDS:
I have a TV with RCA/Optical/ARC
I HAVE A record player with preamp
Floor standing speakers + sub (2.1)

WANTS:
Bluetooth

Would like to stay around 300-400. Would be willing to buy used gear.

I listen to a lot of fast bass music so I probably need a sealed sub instead of ported? Are powered speakers/subs worth a crap?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Are you trying to spend 300-400 on just the receiver or on both the receiver and the speakers? If the former, what's your speaker budget. If the latter, you're definitely looking at Craigslist.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KillHour posted:

Are you trying to spend 300-400 on just the receiver or on both the receiver and the speakers? If the former, what's your speaker budget. If the latter, you're definitely looking at Craigslist.

Ok, challenge time:

Let’s see:

New amp:

You could do $100 and get a Sony or Yamaha base receiver. It might do BT, it might not. You can also do $130 and get one of those SMSL Class D amps with BT built in. All of these have sub outs.

$300 for two new/refurb floorstanders means you’d have to go with Andrew Jones Pioneers or JBL Stages on discount/refurb.

Adding another $100 opens up your possibilities, $200-300 ($500-600 on speakers) really opens them up.

Neither of these includes a sub. You’ll probably want to wait until next year to consider adding a sub. A PSW10 ($130) is decent to some, not good enough to others. Some goons here swear decent subs start in the $300 or $500 range.

Then you have the Craigslist option— lots of potential to save there.

You can always add a Bluetooth dongle ($25-$75), or a DAC ($30-100) to an amp/receiver that don’t have them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I would go used vs trying to get the absolute cheapest of everything. You could spend $400 on a 2.0 home theater system, but I'm not sure it would be worth it over $400 worth of Craigslist finds or say a $400 pair of KRKs that you could repurpose or resell when you have a bigger budget.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Can my echo be a Bluetooth dongle? It has mini stereo out I think

I live is St Louis if anyone has leads on a place that does refurbs.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 2, 2021

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I have a new-ish (2019) LG Smart TV and an older LG Soundbar that has Optical, HDMI Pass-through, and HDMI ARC. If I hook devices directly to the soundbar with Optical or HDMI Pass-through, they sound great. But if I use HDMI ARC or Optical out from the TV, there is noticeable compression. I've checked every setting possible in the TV to ensure that it passing the audio through and not altering it and I'm using uncompressed PCM all around. Is this just a thing with some TVs?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I wasn't really following the HDMI 2.1 issue but this sounds like it's fixed? https://www.audioholics.com/news/sound-united-hdmi-2.1-no-issue

Is it the X7XX series Denon's that had this problem?

I recently installed 4 ceiling speakers so my X1400 can't power them all so I'm looking at upgrading. I'd have to get up to the 3600 or 3700 for 9 speakers. I should go for the 3700 if I want to eventually get a 2.1 TV with a PS5? Other than Accessories 4 Less, where are these good deals?

Another question I had is about UHD bluray. I read the PS5 can't do 5.1.4 or Dolby Vision. Doesn't even seem like many UHD players can do Dolby Vision though, have to spend another $500 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/panaso...p?skuId=6278202 Is there a recommended player?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

I wasn't really following the HDMI 2.1 issue but this sounds like it's fixed? https://www.audioholics.com/news/sound-united-hdmi-2.1-no-issue
It is absolutely not fixed. The PS5 has always worked because of its specific 4:2:0 output at 4k/120 which the XBox doesn't support. If you're only planning to have a PS5 for gaming you'll be fine with a 2020 Denon. If you want 9 channels you'll need at least the 3700 [or a 2700 and eARC].

You will probably not notice Dolby Vision "missing" as most of its actual advantages aren't supported by any existing display hardware nor content. Read more here. I have the Sony X800 mk. II, I like it just fine. I believe you have to turn Dolby Vision on and off manually but it's $300. If you're not buying right away there's probably going to be new models announced soon in the space left by CES not happening. Disc players are becoming pretty niche though so they're not going to be cheap.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

qirex posted:

It is absolutely not fixed. The PS5 has always worked because of its specific 4:2:0 output at 4k/120 which the XBox doesn't support. If you're only planning to have a PS5 for gaming you'll be fine with a 2020 Denon. If you want 9 channels you'll need at least the 3700 [or a 2700 and eARC].

You will probably not notice Dolby Vision "missing" as most of its actual advantages aren't supported by any existing display hardware nor content. Read more here. I have the Sony X800 mk. II, I like it just fine. I believe you have to turn Dolby Vision on and off manually but it's $300. If you're not buying right away there's probably going to be new models announced soon in the space left by CES not happening. Disc players are becoming pretty niche though so they're not going to be cheap.

Does the PS5 UHD player actually support 9 channels though? I saw somewhere on reddit that it doesn't. That would probably be the only thing making me get a standalone player in addition to that. DV only probably wouldn't be enough to justify it.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
What’s considered a good av receivers in the 400ish dollar range? I need at least 5.1, Dolby atmos, and 4K support.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

GlassEye-Boy posted:

What’s considered a good av receivers in the 400ish dollar range? I need at least 5.1, Dolby atmos, and 4K support.

Probably the best you're gonna do at that price point that includes Atmos.
Denon s750h

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
What about the Costco rebranded Yamaha RXV6A/TSR700?
I know it has some mediocre reviews, but is it comparable to the Denon?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you only have four hundred dollars don't worry about Atmos, IMO.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

If you only have four hundred dollars don't worry about Atmos, IMO.

Sticky this on the front page

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

couldcareless posted:

What about the Costco rebranded Yamaha RXV6A/TSR700?
I know it has some mediocre reviews, but is it comparable to the Denon?

That's still a $600 receiver. I was going to mention the 4 series but that's just a 5.1 setup without Atmos.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Animale posted:

That's still a $600 receiver. I was going to mention the 4 series but that's just a 5.1 setup without Atmos.

It's regularly on sale at costco for $400 or less. It is right now, in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I don’t know if I posted my recent rant in this thread or a different audio thread but TLDR I’d consider getting the best 5.1/5.2 setup first before even thinking about atmos.