Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

nelke was OK and scratched an itch i didn't know i had for a bit but i'm still pretty baffled as to what the target audience was. fans of the series, yeah, but the management stuff is different enough that I feel a lot of those fans must have been gritting and bearing the gameplay just to get to more character interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The target audience of nelke is people who love it when games could be a spreadsheet manager, but they don't actually make the spreadsheet so you have to do it your own drat self

I'm sure someone in the world is that person

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mall Santa Metis posted:

I started Yggdra Union based on asking some people what SRPG I should try given what I like most about Fire Emblem (characters, setting, relatively simple mechanics). So far, it's cute! I have only just unlocked formations and have three characters so I'm very early in, but I like the characters so far. The UI is a bit hard to read at times but it does have a lot of tutorials that I am paying attention to despite my worst impulses to ignore them.

gba or psp?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Omori got a lot easier once I started getting more buffs and debuffs. Managing the emotions has been getting a lot easier, too. In the beginning all I really had was Angry and Sad which made an early boss really annoying but its been relatively smooth sailing ever since. Most regular enemies still hit like trucks, but I now have more healing items (than I know what to do with) so it’s more manageable.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Barudak posted:

I've given up on attempting the postgame as it turns out due to pure chance, of the 13 characters I've been using 11 have odd number lucky numbers.

The "good" news is that the lucky number thing really doesn't matter as much as guides say, because the drop rate on the one XP grinding pact that it matters for is so low that there's a fair chance you'll have levelled up enough to clear the postgame before you even get a copy.

edit: by the way, you can in fact view what coven spells do outside of battle, although it's kinda hidden away in the UI

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 1, 2021

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The running gag in Persona 5 about Yusuke not being able to afford food is super hosed up when I've got tens of thousands of dollars in my pocket, which we earned together, and I'm paying my teacher $50 to run a single load of laundry.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

The running gag in Persona 5 about Yusuke not being able to afford food is super hosed up when I've got tens of thousands of dollars in my pocket, which we earned together, and I'm paying my teacher $50 to run a single load of laundry.

IIRC there's some dialogue about how Yusuke tries to put himself in those situations to fuel his art because he's a weirdo.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Yeah, my read on it from finishing it up just days ago was that it was less that he's mega poor and more that he is mega poo poo with money.

CaptainRat fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 1, 2021

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
So, yeah, Atelier Ryza loving rules, and I think my urge for base building is really just an urge for complex crafting/gathering mechanics, which is a hype thing to learn since there's about 50 of these loving games. Gotta hit up that thread and see what's recommended otherwise since I know the previous games have some (potentially?) big mechanical differences.

Only gripe I have so far is how the information is presented. Holy poo poo does the game do a bad job of explaining what different things do, I've just started pulling up the wiki periodically because a lot of the alchemy unlocks have no useful explanation and, at 15 hours in, I just now learned that in order to utilize Traits I have to unlock the slots despite always assigning 3 anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sab Sabbington posted:

So, yeah, Atelier Ryza loving rules, and I think my urge for base building is really just an urge for complex crafting/gathering mechanics, which is a hype thing to learn since there's about 50 of these loving games. Gotta hit up that thread and see what's recommended otherwise since I know the previous games have some (potentially?) big mechanical differences.

Only gripe I have so far is how the information is presented. Holy poo poo does the game do a bad job of explaining what different things do, I've just started pulling up the wiki periodically because a lot of the alchemy unlocks have no useful explanation and, at 15 hours in, I just now learned that in order to utilize Traits I have to unlock the slots despite always assigning 3 anyway.

The Atelier games can be a bit iffy about explaining things though part of that is to encourage experimentation. (And some of it's just awkward translation.) There are a lot of good ones to play but if you're looking to go from Ryza the Alchemists of Dusk trilogy (Ayesha, Escha & Logy, Shallie) is probably the way to go.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1344634084673212423?s=19

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sab Sabbington posted:

Complex crafting debuted in Escha and Logy (7 games ago at this point)

Best crafting is probably in Lydie and Suelle, though the entire Mysterious series is pretty good for that. L&S is the only one I recommend without caveats though, the other ones have other issues weighing them down. The Arland trilogy probably have the best story, but their crafting tends not to get complex until the end of the game (and not even then for Totori).

The Atelier thread OP has a lot of words where I say what I think the strengths and weaknesses of each one are.

All that said, by the time you finish Ryza, Ryza 2 will be just around the corner so

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
With respect to kingdom building, Atelier Meruru sort of has it, since you're a princess and part of the plot is using alchemy to improve your country, so you actually unlock improvements and stuff (I am fuzzy on details).
It has the disadvantage of being the 3rd in a trilogy(now quadrilogy), and like 2/3rd of the cast are returning characters, though.
(It was the first mainline atelier I played, though, not counting Mana Khemia, so it does work as a starting point).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The target audience of nelke is people who love it when games could be a spreadsheet manager, but they don't actually make the spreadsheet so you have to do it your own drat self

I'm sure someone in the world is that person

I mean isn't that people who play Eve Online?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Looper posted:

gba or psp?

GBA, I didn't realise there were two versions! Which is better?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

psp is better. it has voice acting, a few expansions to the writing, a new recruitable character, higher quality music, and nicer graphics. the gba version isnt that huge a downgrade btu theres no real reason to play it over the psp version

technically the best version is the recent switch version that adds a few QoL improvements and another new recruitable character, but that's japan only for now

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Sab Sabbington posted:

I just now learned that in order to utilize Traits I have to unlock the slots despite always assigning 3 anyway.

Welp, that explains a lot now.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

cheetah7071 posted:

All that said, by the time you finish Ryza, Ryza 2 will be just around the corner so

it's apparently ryza but a bit better all around, too, and a better story

which is kind of a shame because ryza, in retrospect, was kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda shallow? but we'll see

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

psp is better. it has voice acting, a few expansions to the writing, a new recruitable character, higher quality music, and nicer graphics. the gba version isnt that huge a downgrade btu theres no real reason to play it over the psp version

technically the best version is the recent switch version that adds a few QoL improvements and another new recruitable character, but that's japan only for now

the psp version is otherwise an improvement in every way, but tbh i like the crunchy gba soundtrack more. the drums and bass in gulcasa's battle theme in particular sound much better on the gba to me

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Every remaster should have the option to flip between the old OST and the remastered one.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I was just thinking about old classics and then it dawned on me that I never played Skies of Arcadia. Should this be rectified? Is it fast paced?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artelier posted:

I was just thinking about old classics and then it dawned on me that I never played Skies of Arcadia. Should this be rectified? Is it fast paced?

Honestly, no, its not very fast paced. If you play it please play the Gamecube version and ideally, play with the patch that removes battles from the overworld because having them on, even in lower amounts on Gamecube, undermines one the games best and most memorable features

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

Honestly, no, its not very fast paced. If you play it please play the Gamecube version and ideally, play with the patch that removes battles from the overworld because having them on, even in lower amounts on Gamecube, undermines one the games best and most memorable features

Overworld battles stop being a concern midway through the game, so even without the patch it's not a big deal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fired up Lunar 2: Eternal Blue and uh my memory of this is different. This thing goes straight from confusing lore dump and sick neo-babylonian wall frescos -> <record scratch> Yeah thats me, you're probably wondering how I got into this mess.

The other thing is between this and Breath of Fire 4 Im being reminded triangle/top button didn't become standardized as the "menu" button until the PS2 era and square/left button is king still.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Overworld battles stop being a concern midway through the game, so even without the patch it's not a big deal.

Most of the discoveries are in the random encounter zone. Its such an improvement to be able to look for them in peace.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Artelier posted:

it is in fact the opposite of fast paced

it's one of the slowest (if not *the slowest*) RPGs i've ever played. you move slowly, animations are slow, screen transitions are slow, battles are frequent and oh baby are they SLOW

if you emulate it you can remedy some of this with liberal application of the speed up button, which is recommend you do, because the game is still worth playing if you like the sort of grand adventure story it's going for. it's one of the best ones of those!

also whatever you do remember to not play the PAL version which is, as usual, 1/6th slower than NTSC

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa
If you want RPGs that are slow to the point of being unplayable, let me introduce you to a gem called Septerra Core.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Skies of Arcadia was one of my faves back when I played it on the Dreamcast 20 years ago but that was when I could only afford to buy one game at a time and really had to sit down with it. Dunno how I'd deal with the super high encounter rate and generally relaxed pace nowadays. It's a good game though, would probably benefit hugely from an HD remake.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Taborcarn posted:

If you want RPGs that are slow to the point of being unplayable, let me introduce you to a gem called Septerra Core.

I played that to the end as a baby and I cannot remember a single thing except the setting conceit being kinda neat

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I see both Persona 5 Royal and the Ultimate Edition are 50% off on the PS Store. Are the DLCs in the Ultimate Edition worth the extra $20?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
skies of arcadia is the best game ever made, maybe, probably

but i would recommend feeding ten moonfish to maria's pet bird asap so you can get an accessory to lower the encounter rate

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

anakha posted:

I see both Persona 5 Royal and the Ultimate Edition are 50% off on the PS Store. Are the DLCs in the Ultimate Edition worth the extra $20?

no, P5R's difficulty curve is completely busted and the DLC's are mostly just extra free personas that make it even moreso

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The first couple times I tried skies of arcadia, I quit specifically because of the encounter rate. And I played suikoden V and FF9 with the load times.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

no, P5R's difficulty curve is completely busted and the DLC's are mostly just extra free personas that make it even moreso

My wallet thanks you for this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
omori's soundtrack is nice but the best track i've heard so far is a totally optional jukebox melody that was composed by, wait for it, toby fox

dog's a loving synth wizard

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zW4mYzgP1g

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 1, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I played skies of arcadia on dolphin with the game speed set at 140% and it was a absolute joy to play even with the encounter rate what it is. You end up crushing every fight in a minute or so max even with the SP moves animations.

Once everything is set to normal speed it felt like the characters were wading through molasses.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 1, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Amppelix posted:

also whatever you do remember to not play the PAL version which is, as usual, 1/6th slower than NTSC

That was actually weird for Sega at the time, they'd been doing well with 50Hz conversions at that point for a while. Also they disabled VGA for the PAL version for..whatever reason and it's one of the few games that can't be forced with a boot disc, you have to use an AR code or patch that was only discovered 'recently'.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
skies of arcadia really needs a cool sequel.

airships are good.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
The end of like a dragon wasn't two hours.

But the final boss? C'mon. There's no way he could stand toe to toe like that. I fought Kiryu loving Kazuma and this guy is taking punches from me?

I should have fought God.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i've never actually written any fanfiction but thinking about the tidbits of information on the black moon in skies of arcadia is the closest i ever came to doing so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I was reading up Before I Play for Disgaea 5 and the last one says that if I want DLC characters I should get them early. So I got them from the content shop, Nisa, Swamp Witch, Girl Laharl, and they seem...really strong? Why should I get them early? Or were they referring to the characters I get from quests?

For reference, I haven't played Disgaea and earlier in this thread people said "If you wanna jump in just go to 5 straight" so I'm not sure if this is a precedent of some kind.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 2, 2021