Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

kefkafloyd posted:

Wow, that's bizarre. It's never happened to me, but admittedly my "walks" are more like jogs (3 miles, pace around 15-16 minutes per mile with no stops or breaks, heart rate between 110-125). I guess it makes sense that they don't want people cheesing it but I wonder where the threshold is where it won't "count."

Even when my heart rate is clearly elevated on an indoor exercise bike I'll occasionally get a 'are you done with your workout?" prompt when doing indoor cycle. Of course I'm not done yet, it's 125 BPM and my resting heart rate is usually between 60-65!
IME it’s somewhere north of, like, 21-22 minutes/mile or that kinda ballpark where it starts to fall apart. So yeah, you’re nowhere close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Time shared can hopefully fill your grief with happy memories.

Onto watch chat: with everyone talking about AOD, I decided to go all day with it. I never use AOD and my watch reminds me to charge at 9pm every night. Most nights and with normal use, it is at 55-60% left. Tonight, with AOD and normal use, I am at 35%.

Does 20% lowered battery make it worth it? I guess I will keep using it and trying it next week while teaching to see if it is more useful.

So weird. Even on my heavily documented lovely S5 I had, the AOD made a negligible amount of difference over the course of the day. Like maybe 2%, if that.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So weird. Even on my heavily documented lovely S5 I had, the AOD made a negligible amount of difference over the course of the day. Like maybe 2%, if that.

Hmmmm, well poo poo. I thought that 20% was a normal amount. I guess I was wrong.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ehh that’s just one data point. Try doing it for a few days. Different usages, etc.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Onto watch chat: with everyone talking about AOD, I decided to go all day with it. I never use AOD and my watch reminds me to charge at 9pm every night. Most nights and with normal use, it is at 55-60% left. Tonight, with AOD and normal use, I am at 35%.

Does 20% lowered battery make it worth it? I guess I will keep using it and trying it next week while teaching to see if it is more useful.

It’s kinda like RAM. There’s no point in having 1000 GB of RAM in your system if you’re constantly alt-f4ing everything to keep your RAM usage down to 8 GB max. Similarly if you’re charging your watch every night then what difference does it make if the battery is at 60% vs 35% when you put it on the puck?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Boris Galerkin posted:

what difference does it make if the battery is at 60% vs 35% when you put it on the puck?
Amount of total charge cycles before it goes to poo poo. How important that is depends on how long you intend to own it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
After 3 years I was still getting a day and a half of battery life from my series 3.

Ironically battery life on my series 3 was similar to my series 6 with the AOD enabled. I was probably on the verge of the old battery making GBS threads itself though.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Krispy Wafer posted:

Does anyone know how the Apple Watch calculates 'exercise'? Up until this week if I walked outside for 30 minutes, I got 30 minutes of exercise credit and closed my ring. Now I get 3 minutes. I reset the calibration today and no difference.

I’m having the opposite problem. I’m getting credit for close to 30 minutes of exercise lately on days where I’m doing almost nothing.

Where is this “calibration reset” you referenced? I poked around a little on the Watch and couldn’t find it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Referee posted:

I’m having the opposite problem. I’m getting credit for close to 30 minutes of exercise lately on days where I’m doing almost nothing.

Where is this “calibration reset” you referenced? I poked around a little on the Watch and couldn’t find it.

Just need to do a 20+ minute outdoor walk somewhere with good gps signal, so somewhere out in the open.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Amount of total charge cycles before it goes to poo poo. How important that is depends on how long you intend to own it.

If it's charged every night, it's going to have the same amount of full charge cycles no matter how much power is left, and fully charging the battery from 35% is better for battery health than regularly topping it off from 60%.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is a bit silly. Practically the big difference between 35% or 60% at the end of a normal day is that the watch is dead on an abnormal day in the first case and fine in the second case. That’s worth something.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Referee posted:

In the Watch app click on Privacy. There’s an option to reset your fitness calibration data. Then go on a 20 minute walk outdoors.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I decided to activate the Walk Outside activity when walking my scent hound for the last few days, and the watch is now convinced I’m about to die based on what it read.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Krispy Wafer posted:

In the Watch app click on Privacy. There’s an option to reset your fitness calibration data. Then go on a 20 minute walk outdoors.

Perfect, thank you!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

I went from an S3 to S5 this spring for the AOD and wanting to switch to a cellular model, love it and don't have any regrets for not waiting it out for the S6.

The other advantage S5 has over the SE is the heart rate sensor; even if you don't care about EKG, you can put your finger on the crown and get 1-second resolution readings instead of 5-second from the optical.

The caveat is if you care about AppleCare or not; from a quick google I see stuff saying you can't put AppleCare on a BBY open box unless they listed it as in "excellent" condition.

Ended up buying an open box 44mm Series 5 from Best Buy today for $250 and it already had AppleCare until 2022 on it for some reason. I’m not sure if that counts as being “officially” transferred but I usually don’t buy AppleCare so I’ll take it.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It's tied to the serial number. Not sure what happens if the owner requests a refund for AppleCare through Apple, people don't realize that's an option

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
How do you set the default time when starting an exercise activity? For example whenever I press the yellow clock to start a Strength timed workout, it will always default to 28mins (even though my last workouts have been 1hr and 30mins). I had to manually select those times after it did the usual defaulting to 28 mins.

Any ideas?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It should have your last time when you go to select it, no such thing as default. At least that’s the way it works with distances. Just checked and yeah, it’s got the actual distance/time/calories etc. I ran on my last workout, ignoring what I actually selected.

So that’s weird it goes to 28 as a default for you.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

smackfu posted:

Has anyone gone from the AOD back to one that didn’t have it? Just curious.

I haven’t gone back, but I would have was I able to return my 6. I like it, but not worth a premium of a S6.

If I were buying today I’d rank them from a price/value perspective:
S5 on current sale (300-329 new) > SE > S6

S6 is certainly the best, but the benefits are so marginal. Pulse Ox is useless.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I really like the fireworks I can do on my watch for New Years. My young daughters keep coming over and asking if they can watch it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Man I really f my self for the January challenge,I have to work out 60 min a day to complete it. I accidentally left on a yoga workout last month and went to sleep without turning it off. I deleted the workout and data but it still shows I did 720 minutes of exercise in a single day. Must have influenced my individual Jan challenge. Oh well.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Is there a way to tell my watch not to hijack my AirPods to play an alarm ding, disconnecting it from my phone until I go into Bluetooth settings and manually reconnect? Like it’s cool watch, we have haptics and they’re in transparent mode anyway.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It definitely shouldn't be doing that, mine will go back to playing whatever was on the iPhone as soon as the alarm is turned off.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I really like the fireworks I can do on my watch for New Years. My young daughters keep coming over and asking if they can watch it.

Make sure your contact has your birthday listed for balloons!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

sonatinas posted:

Man I really f my self for the January challenge,I have to work out 60 min a day to complete it. I accidentally left on a yoga workout last month and went to sleep without turning it off. I deleted the workout and data but it still shows I did 720 minutes of exercise in a single day. Must have influenced my individual Jan challenge. Oh well.

They generally escalate to the point of being insanely difficult anyway. The only monthly challenges I reliably manage these days after a couple years of watch ownership are the close your rings ones.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I feel really dumb asking this but I basically always have my phone on do not disturb but to allow my favourites to ring through. I use my phone for work a little bit and I don’t mind calls just bumping through to voicemail and also I don’t like my phone buzzing away on my desk when I’m with a client.

Now I’ve got an Apple Watch. Ideally what I would love to do it have some non noise related notification (aka it buzzes my wrist or whatever the watch does) for things like messages, whatsapp, messenger, etc pop up on my Apple Watch and my phone to sit nice and still and quiet.

What do I need to do in order to make that happen? I feel if I do do not disturb it’s not pushing anything to the watch but I’ve literally only had it for a few hours so I might just be missing something.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Typically it should just buzz your wrist anyway, no sound, and ignore the phone completely. DND is turning that off.

If it’s making sounds check the settings, maybe mute it or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you set DND on the phone it pretty much stops sending things to the watch except calls from your favorite contacts.

You won’t get any notifications or anything.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

teacup posted:

So I feel really dumb asking this but I basically always have my phone on do not disturb but to allow my favourites to ring through. I use my phone for work a little bit and I don’t mind calls just bumping through to voicemail and also I don’t like my phone buzzing away on my desk when I’m with a client.

Now I’ve got an Apple Watch. Ideally what I would love to do it have some non noise related notification (aka it buzzes my wrist or whatever the watch does) for things like messages, whatsapp, messenger, etc pop up on my Apple Watch and my phone to sit nice and still and quiet.

What do I need to do in order to make that happen? I feel if I do do not disturb it’s not pushing anything to the watch but I’ve literally only had it for a few hours so I might just be missing something.

Turn off do not disturb , put your phone on silent, and just let watch notifications be like normal.

It’s weird, but the Apple Watch has killed my ringtone on my personal phone. No need.

Side note: I had a S3 38mm for 2+ years and finally updated the S6 44mm (I just decided to go for top of the line).

Holy hell is it a huge jump. Just the responsiveness alone is great, and yeah, bigger screen is just useful. And I didn’t mind the wrist flick to check the time, but I like the always on display.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I haven’t looked at this in a while. Amy useful complications that anyone here uses ?

For me, I find I mostly just need Activity Rings, Timer, Music, and Calendar.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I like to use the noise complication and see how high of a score my toddlers get when they’re pissed off or doing their pterodactyl impressions. I think the max I’ve seen was 107dB.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I get the apple news stories in the Siri watch face to update? Right now it’s still telling me the biggest news is Wornock is projected to win his senate race. I’m pretty sure much more stuff has happened since Tuesday evening when he was projected to win.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I get the apple news stories in the Siri watch face to update? Right now it’s still telling me the biggest news is Wornock is projected to win his senate race. I’m pretty sure much more stuff has happened since Tuesday evening when he was projected to win.

Heh, Apple News is rear end.

I've been trying to find stuff about the Capitol mess to listen to and Apple News' audio hasn't been updated since last week. I think that service is still in beta, but come the gently caress on.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I got a S6 for Christmas and it’s been super motivating in ways my old Fitbit wasn’t. The only thing I’m disappointed in is the sleep tracking - Fitbit had way more detail (I especially miss seeing my sleep stages). Is there a better watch app I could get that syncs with Health?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have Series 1 with no band that has been sitting on my desk ever since I got my Series 5. It's slow as poo poo, has little wear and is missing one of the magnetic band release buttons, but I have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Would anyone want it? I'd wouldn't mind getting like $5 to help cover putting it in a bubble envelope and hoping it doesn't get crushed in processing.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Duckman2008 posted:

I haven’t looked at this in a while. Amy useful complications that anyone here uses ?

For me, I find I mostly just need Activity Rings, Timer, Music, and Calendar.
I like Soundhound, no more fumbling with my phone or scrolling apps while a song ends

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

TheManWithNoName posted:

I got a S6 for Christmas and it’s been super motivating in ways my old Fitbit wasn’t. The only thing I’m disappointed in is the sleep tracking - Fitbit had way more detail (I especially miss seeing my sleep stages). Is there a better watch app I could get that syncs with Health?

There are a ton of sleep tracking apps. Just download them and try it out. They don’t actually gather any data, they just use what watchOS gathers and makes available. One app might use one algorithm to figure something out while another uses a different algorithm. They’re all just front ends, kinda. Some apps have additional features like wake alarms and so on. So download whichever ones you want and try them out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheManWithNoName posted:

I use Pillow because it came recommended, but it just doesn't seem to do a great job of tracking when my entire sleep starts/ends. I'm going to play more with it, because I do like that aspect of owning the watch.

But today my favorite aspect? For mooooonths its annoyed me that I get a ton of messages on phone, either from work or friends, and I'm usually listening to music with my phone on the desk. The 'ting' of a text message lasts about 3-4 seconds and maybe I'll get 5 texts in a minute sometimes? Yeah that's a minute my song is constantly fading in/out to 'ting' me. The little wrist nudge while I have my phone on silent and not interrupting my music is such a simple but sanity saving thing.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
For some reason my Series 5 intermittently displays this black bar across the watch face when the screen flips to "always-on display" mode:

When I wake up the screen, though, the bar disappears:

As I mentioned the black bar isn't always visible when the screen sleeps. I can't think of a pattern of activity that consistently recreates this, and further complicating things is the fact that, just now, after a hard restart the black bar is no longer visible:

Should I seek to replace this under Apple Care? This is the second time the bar has appeared and disappeared so I'm thinking it might be time to replace it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah if you’re still under Apple care and there’s no visible damage chances are good they’ll just replace it. (They might tell you to restore from factory settings first but who knows)