Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Takoluka posted:

I think it's because of how big Persona 5 is. After all, it directly influenced the art direction of The World Ends With You.

You bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I'd guess P5 Scramble was always coming, just being translated in Atlus Time instead of getting a close-to-worldwide release like Age of Calamity. Or maybe it's the first wave of Sega's bigger push toward the worldwide PC market (reminder- P4 Golden PC was a ridiculous success for a fairly low-effort/cost port job) since the PC worldwide release is the same day the Switch and PS4 overseas release is. Considering how close the releases are, I doubt AoC's success or lack of it is weighing on P5 Scramble's worldwide release either way.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, my guess is it wasn't worth pushing for a worldwide release (because AFAIK neither Atlus nor Koei really do those), and then depending upon who was handling the localization (it appeared on a Koei financial report), either Royal's localization or Age of Calamity pushed it back.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
One Piece Warriors 4 is $17.99 on Amazon and Gamestop, if anyone was waiting for a decent sale.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

One Piece Warriors 4 is $17.99 on Amazon and Gamestop, if anyone was waiting for a decent sale.

just on console i guess :smith:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Some non-game related news about Dynasty Warriors and friends: Japan's supreme court has dismissed Tecmo Koei's appeals to the old Capcom patent infringement lawsuit, finding them guilty of 35 counts of infringement and ordered to pay roughly 1.3 million US to Capcom.

JP language Nikkei article here. The full article is paywalled unfortunately.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Cool use it to fund a new Basara

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Fumaofthelake posted:

Monkey paw curls:

New Basara but it also doesn't get localized

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Monkey paw curls:

New Basara but it also doesn't get localized

Cries in Sumeragi

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Wamdoodle posted:

Monkey paw curls:

New Basara but it also doesn't get localized is a mobile gatcha currency/timer game

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
They did that. It just closed down today.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fumaofthelake posted:

They're allegedly doing this. Back in July the BASARA dude went to Famitsu(?) and pretty much said they're working on a PS5 BASARA game. No official announcement or anything but that's happening.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Policenaut posted:

They're allegedly doing this. Back in July the BASARA dude went to Famitsu(?) and pretty much said they're working on a PS5 BASARA game. No official announcement or anything but that's happening.

I want a new Basara so bad. The breadth of styles is so good. I still pop in 3 to run over some fools with Kanbei periodically

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
What's the most recent/best Samurai Warriors experience, none of that Orochi poo poo. Want to brush up on my Sengoku Jidai.

Wikipedia mentions like 4 different versions of Samurai Warriors 4 but I dont really care about the Simulation aspect, I just want Maximum characters/Maximum Story Campaigns.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Pyronic posted:

What's the most recent/best Samurai Warriors experience, none of that Orochi poo poo. Want to brush up on my Sengoku Jidai.

Wikipedia mentions like 4 different versions of Samurai Warriors 4 but I dont really care about the Simulation aspect, I just want Maximum characters/Maximum Story Campaigns.

4 base has the most story campaigns, 4-II has individual character campaigns but much less content overall, Spirits of Sanada is ALL about Sanada, it is the most story heavy but it's all one faction. I dunno what the 4th version your talking about is, maybe Deluxe? that's just 4 with all the DLC.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the maximum samurai warriors story experience is sw1 extreme legends. split story paths for every character! tons of gaiden stages! in engine cutscenes for secret endings!

the rest, with their singular historical endings and their what-if split path that delivers its epilogue to you in a two-line voice bite at the end of the final stage, all pale by comparison.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Reive posted:

4 base has the most story campaigns, 4-II has individual character campaigns but much less content overall, Spirits of Sanada is ALL about Sanada, it is the most story heavy but it's all one faction. I dunno what the 4th version your talking about is, maybe Deluxe? that's just 4 with all the DLC.

SW4
SW4-II
SW Sanada
SW4 Empires

so it sounds like I should be looking at normal Samurai Warriors 4. EDIT: Do these go on sale on PSN often? I'd rather not pay $60 for a 5 year old game

Wikipedia posted:

On December 3, 2018, Koei announced Sengoku Musō 4 DX (戦国無双4 DX) for the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. It includes over 150 DLC previously released for the game, including costumes, weapons, customization parts, and others. A "15th Anniversary" edition is also available, which includes an art book, a soundtrack and music video set, and a postcard set. It is slated for release in Japan on March 14, 2019.

Any idea if/when this will ever get an English release?

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 28, 2020

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Koei rarely puts stuff on sale, and when they do it's usually only 20% or something. They are super lovely about stuff like that. They have games on Steam that are nearly a decade old still at $60.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I liked Spirit of Sanada a lot and enjoyed the story as a specific lens of of the Sengoku story from beginning to end, but yeah it definitely does not meet your "Maximum characters/Maximum Story Campaigns" criteria.

They do a few side missions here and there that show off what's going on in Japan outside of Sanadaland at critical times, but for the most part it is very much the story of the Sanada clan like it says on the tin, so probably not what you're looking for.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Pyronic posted:

SW4
SW4-II
SW Sanada
SW4 Empires

so it sounds like I should be looking at normal Samurai Warriors 4. EDIT: Do these go on sale on PSN often? I'd rather not pay $60 for a 5 year old game

Any idea if/when this will ever get an English release?

Not PSN, but you can always check Steam Prices to give you an idea of what the lowest price point a game is likely to hit.

https://www.steamprices.com/us/app/348470/samurai-warriors-4-ii

Looks like 25 is the lowest point for 4-II

https://www.steamprices.com/us/app/595740/samurai-warriors-spirit-of-sanada

And Spirit of Sanada is the same with a low point of 25.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

So I love these dumb games but burn out on them pretty quick so I’ll play maybe 2 a year, last one I got through was fire emblem warriors a few months back which was fine but not great and I’m getting the itch again.

I know age of calamity just came out and the demo was pretty fun, and scramble comes out soon finally, but I also like the sheer stupid amount of content in the Orochi series. So should I go for AoC, Orochi 4 ultimate, or wait a few months for scramble?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Scramble isn't really kill 1000's of enemies type of game. The battles are short skirmishes and then traveling through environment before another skirmish.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Despite getting SW4-II and WO4 to keep myself in the Musou spirit over the last seven or so years since getting back into the swing of things with DW8XL, I just always find myself defaulting to DW8XL for my sudden urges for a Musou fix.

It's just that drat good.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Despite getting SW4-II and WO4 to keep myself in the Musou spirit over the last seven or so years since getting back into the swing of things with DW8XL, I just always find myself defaulting to DW8XL for my sudden urges for a Musou fix.

Stop tempting me. I did drat near 100% completion on the ps3 and i'm tempted to get it all again on the PC even though I have 2 musou games to beat :(

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

How does DW8XL compare to DW7XL?

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Tae posted:

Scramble isn't really kill 1000's of enemies type of game. The battles are short skirmishes and then traveling through environment before another skirmish.

I’m sure it’s different but looking at the gameplay it doesn’t seem different enough for my brain to register it as anything but a musou. But I guess I’ll take that chance in February and just flip a coin between Orochi and AoC.

Texas size 10-4 on 8XL but if I start playing that again I’ll never get to any of the new ones.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

A talking coyote posted:

I’m sure it’s different but looking at the gameplay it doesn’t seem different enough for my brain to register it as anything but a musou. But I guess I’ll take that chance in February and just flip a coin between Orochi and AoC.

Texas size 10-4 on 8XL but if I start playing that again I’ll never get to any of the new ones.

It basically works like normal Persona 5 palaces except when you start a random encounter it starts a Musou style battle instead of a turn based one. But the pacing/etc flows almost exactly like Persona 5 does.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

40 Proof Listerine posted:

How does DW8XL compare to DW7XL?

7XL delves into the story a bit more but 8XL covers a greater span (including what if)? Honestly in that regard, I forget these things. I'm a sucker for DW so it all sort of merges in my mind and I just blend games together. However...

Gameplay-wise, 8XL all the way. Primarily just a load of minor QoL stuff (read as: firing second EX attacks) but I go to clean up a few things in 7XL from time to time only to say "motherfucker!" when my usual plan of crowd control for a character fails to ignite, then I get slapped around like one of those inflatable clown things for a couple of seconds. It sounds silly but 8XL offers those few extra options for Musou-flavoured destruction which seem to make all the difference.

In any case, beyond the usual story stuff (and Ambition Mode, which is a tad grindy) 8XL has a bunch of DLC maps in Free Mode which let you cut loose entirely and just go completely loving nuts, one-vs-the-world. No more pathetic guard units collapsing at the mere mention of an enemy general. No more Liu Shan giving up because someone got mud on his robe. You're on your own and the battlefield is yours to conquer as you see fit, just a sea of mooks and officers to blaze through...

...until one of them catches you out for half a second with a musou attack and you die. Double-fun in co-op!

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
7XL is the proper 'new era' retelling of the Three Kingdoms story. It's the game that hits all the big beats you expect, with the role of the three kingdoms being shifted to more neutral stances then the classic Shu Good-Wei Bad-Wu Stupid from the Rot3K novel/earlier DW games. Wei's driven by a vision of order and stability, Shu's driven by a desire for virtue, Wu's driven by a wish for peace, etc. It makes a good re-introduction to the setting, as well as getting a handle on the direction the kingdoms follow in their post-7 appearances.

8XL is the 'stories untold' edition of that. Wei's campaign starts of In Media Res of Cao Cao, Xiahou Dun, and Xiahou Yuan comedy-trio style fleeing the imperial court of Dong Zhuo with half his army and almost all of his named officers after them and that sets the tone for the kind of moments to expect from 8XL's campaigns. Some of the big, big beats you get in every DW game like Chi Bi get revisited, especially if one of the new characters has a reason to be present at it, but there's also a lot of battles that show up for the first time in 8 and 8XL and are alternatingly interesting and played off almost kind of irreverently.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I picked up Orochi 4 during the Steam sale and after reading about it went and picked up Orochi 3 on the PS4 too. Should i play through 3 before 4 or are they independent enough that it wont matter?

I've been jumping into both simultaneously at the minute depending on whether i've managed to snag time on the TV in the living room for the PS4.

Also, it turns out that i picked up DW8XL on the PS4 ages back but didn't really play it as i bounced off of the story. IIRC there were just all of these named characters doing stuff but it felt like i was dropped into the middle of a story i was expected to know about beforehand and that the game was a highlight reel of it. I might be mixing it up with another game in the franchise though.

Is there something i should read or do to get more into it if it's such a good game?

edit: Note, my intro into the Warriors franchise was Hyrule warriors and i've damned near 100%'d that for each version that was released (WiiU/3DSXL/Switch), so i do like this type of game.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Someone who knows the series way better than me will hopefully chime in, but I've been playing 3 and 4 simultaneously off and on for months now. There is a movie at the start of 4 that spoils 3, so if that's going to bother you start with 3.

They are both big dumb adventure stories and like a good kaiju movie knowing the conclusion isn't going to spoil the experience.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Kin posted:

I picked up Orochi 4 during the Steam sale and after reading about it went and picked up Orochi 3 on the PS4 too. Should i play through 3 before 4 or are they independent enough that it wont matter?

I've been jumping into both simultaneously at the minute depending on whether i've managed to snag time on the TV in the living room for the PS4.

Also, it turns out that i picked up DW8XL on the PS4 ages back but didn't really play it as i bounced off of the story. IIRC there were just all of these named characters doing stuff but it felt like i was dropped into the middle of a story i was expected to know about beforehand and that the game was a highlight reel of it. I might be mixing it up with another game in the franchise though.

Is there something i should read or do to get more into it if it's such a good game?

edit: Note, my intro into the Warriors franchise was Hyrule warriors and i've damned near 100%'d that for each version that was released (WiiU/3DSXL/Switch), so i do like this type of game.

They're... independent enough. The Orochi games tell basically a bunch of self-contained side stories centered around events pulling worlds together. 3 is technically the last game in one arc while 4 is kind of a 'plot reset' in a lot of ways, but neither are particularly important to know what came before except-

For 3- This isn't the first time someone pulled this stunt, and a lot of folks are already Tired of This poo poo- Orochi being up to no good, not being pulled together having to fight in this mashed up universe since everyone is unironically LOVING the poo poo out of that once you get past what happens in the prologue and just get down to hanging with their buddies from another world doin' Advance Wars-style The Fun War against heaven, hell, and sometimes each other one more time. The big change from the last time is Orochi's supposedly dead as poo poo but... well, prologue. Just about everything else important you need to know can generally be summed up in one sentence and will generally be delivered by someone when it becomes relevant.

For 4- Just kinda gotta know that these characters have been through this before, even if nobody remembers it for a long while due to plot.

I will say that Orochi 3 is a contender for my favorite game in the series, while Orochi 4 was pretty mediocre and gimmicky, so if you think you might only want to sink time into one, I'd go with 3.

As for DW8, the post directly above yours gets into what it is. Short answer- DW8 is basically the companion piece to DW7, which was a soft reset of the franchise and is probably the entry point I'd suggest for new players, especially ones not familiar with Romance of the Three Kingdoms since it's the big Dynasty Warriors version of the core events while DW8 mostly plays in spaces DW7 didn't go and generally doesn't fill in a lot of context. The ultimate context for all this is, of course, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel, one of the Four Classics of Chinese Literature, but to be fair at this point Dynasty Warriors is a long, long way from it's source in most aspects, especially in how it portrays the kingdoms themselves.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 1, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orochi 3 is probably my favorite Warriors title that isn't one of the Nintendo ones. It's extremely good and has a way wider variety of characters since it actually has stuff like Atelier and Ninja Gaiden running around.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Mr. Locke posted:

They're... independent enough. The Orochi games tell basically a bunch of self-contained side stories centered around events pulling worlds together. 3 is technically the last game in one arc while 4 is kind of a 'plot reset' in a lot of ways, but neither are particularly important to know what came before except-

For 3- This isn't the first time someone pulled this stunt, and a lot of folks are already Tired of This poo poo- Orochi being up to no good, not being pulled together having to fight in this mashed up universe since everyone is unironically LOVING the poo poo out of that once you get past what happens in the prologue and just get down to hanging with their buddies from another world doin' Advance Wars-style The Fun War against heaven, hell, and sometimes each other one more time. The big change from the last time is Orochi's supposedly dead as poo poo but... well, prologue. Just about everything else important you need to know can generally be summed up in one sentence and will generally be delivered by someone when it becomes relevant.

For 4- Just kinda gotta know that these characters have been through this before, even if nobody remembers it for a long while due to plot.

I will say that Orochi 3 is a contender for my favorite game in the series, while Orochi 4 was pretty mediocre and gimmicky, so if you think you might only want to sink time into one, I'd go with 3.

As for DW8, the post directly above yours gets into what it is. Short answer- DW8 is basically the companion piece to DW7, which was a soft reset of the franchise and is probably the entry point I'd suggest for new players, especially ones not familiar with Romance of the Three Kingdoms since it's the big Dynasty Warriors version of the core events while DW8 mostly plays in spaces DW7 didn't go and generally doesn't fill in a lot of context. The ultimate context for all this is, of course, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel, one of the Four Classics of Chinese Literature, but to be fair at this point Dynasty Warriors is a long, long way from it's source in most aspects, especially in how it portrays the kingdoms themselves.

Cheers for that, i'll give 7 a go and probably do Orochi 3 then 4.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

What's the word on Hyrule Warriors 2? I haven't heard anything after the kinda crappy demo.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

lowercase16 posted:

What's the word on Hyrule Warriors 2? I haven't heard anything after the kinda crappy demo.

It's good, but less tactical and more of a straight beat-em-up. Which is fine by me but maybe not for everyone.

There's lots of neat tech to discover, and once you start unlocking characters and their full movesets you can get pretty nuts with the combos.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

lowercase16 posted:

It works as a very story driven sequel to BoTW, but there's pretty much no strategy in it. The majority of non story mode missions are short 5 minute levels that are just variations of run from A to B in a snippet of a larger map to kill a specified enemy.

In fact, after just starting DW7, imagine the majority of the game is missions exactly like the first one in that game where it's a tiny map (often linear) with a handful of mooks and an officer/boss to kill within a few minutes.

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 2, 2021

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Hyrule Warriors 1 is quite a bit better than 2. But that's just one mans opinion.

Edit: That's not to say 2 is bad. It's still good, but not as good.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
The main obstacle for me to get over WRT Hyrule Warriors 2 is that it's a sequel to a game that was kind of meh. BotW was, for me, a couple of neat setpieces mired in a sterile, empty map with an off-putting art style, wretched voice acting and unsatisfying gameplay. HW2 just has too much working against it by tying its chariot to that horse, especially after HW1 turned out to be an unmitigated delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I think HW2 is better than the first in every way except level/mission design.

Which to be fair is at least half the game so it’s a toss up

Scrap Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 4, 2021