Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

MegaZeroX posted:

I really wanna hear if you have any theories about Nanjo's death in chapter 3?

Still Umineko 3.

Yeah that one is a hard one. The only thing I can even think of is that Eva-Beatrice is playing loose with the timing of the thing; her list of 'X is dead, Y is alive' applies to right when she says it (since it includes Nanjo) but by the time Nanjo was alive *someone else could still have been alive too*, so whoever that may be killed Nanjo and died (killed? suicide? double-kill between Nanjo and them?) before we ended up discussing it. She pretty much ruled out anything else with that gigantic list of red statements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This might be a silly question, but Higurashi IS worth playing right? I say silly because obviously I've seen people here discuss it a bunch, so obviously people here will recommend it. Still, despite reading and liking Umineko I probably wouldn't even look at Higurashi normally, the anime high school / school girl asthetic really turns me off of it.
Higurashi is very good. You probably want to patch in some playstation sprites or use the originals rather than the mangagamer version

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I really think the original art is the way to go for Higurashi, bad as they may seem at first glance, because none of the later revisions get the mood and expressiveness right in the way the original does. It's too bad how hard they made it to use them while also retaining the original audio these days though, which I also feel is quite essential to the experience.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

This might be a silly question, but Higurashi IS worth playing right? I say silly because obviously I've seen people here discuss it a bunch, so obviously people here will recommend it. Still, despite reading and liking Umineko I probably wouldn't even look at Higurashi normally, the anime high school / school girl asthetic really turns me off of it.
Compared to Umineko, Higurashi still has for my money a better developed cast and a stronger overall emotional core, much of which is because it focuses on a relatively smaller set of central characters compared to the huge Ushiromiya family and servants. I might even argue in some respects that I actually prefer the actual mystery in Higurashi even, which by no means is meant to disparage Umineko's of course.

The issue with Higurashi comparatively is that you can tell Ryukishi07 as an amateur was still trying to figure out his voice and pacing, and it takes until around the third chapter for him to hit what I feel is a good rhythm. Which is not to say the lighthearted club antics are without purpose, they set up a lot of turns that I feel land better if you form some of those nascent emotional connections to the characters when they are in better times. But they still can feel like they drag on a bit in especially the second chapter where it feels a bit repetitive. Also the music in the first four chapters while not terrible is largely forgettable, as Ryukishi07 had not yet roped in his doujin music friends which is why chapters 5-8 have some banging tracks.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Higurashi is great. I would say that I like it in a very different way than I like Umineko. I, for Higurashi, I would say overall that I like the cast better by the end of it and I feel like I was more emotionally moved. The story also never feels like it drags IMO. But the mystery of Umineko far supersedes Higurashi's, and the interactive parts of chapter 8 were awesome. Umineko also has way more "oh man, this moment was AWESOME" than Higurashi. And of course the music puts Higurashi's to shame.

Also, I feel that in many ways Higurashi really is a story that needs the main cast to not be adults.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I really think the original art is the way to go for Higurashi, bad as they may seem at first glance, because none of the later revisions get the mood and expressiveness right in the way the original does. It's too bad how hard they made it to use them while also retaining the original audio these days though, which I also feel is quite essential to the experience.

Hard disagree. I would say PS3/Pachinko for Higurashi, and PS3 for Umineko.

But yeah, definitely go with original audio (plus voice acting I would recommend very highly, even if you normally don't use it for VNs)

Edit: There are definitely more :japan: moments than Umineko though (in a bad way), particularly in chapter 3.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 28, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

woodenchicken posted:

Really enjoying Robotics;Notes so far! Reliving that Steins;Gate magic. Production quality is iffy, but the 'novel' part is tight, and nothing's even kicked off yet.

I just finished this a couple days ago (about to start DaSH now).

Overall I liked it a whole lot. My only real problem is that (end-game spoilers, don't read if you're not done) the final conflict wasn't super compelling to me, because "mind-controlled Misaki" wasn't exactly the most compelling antagonist. I feel like it would have been better if she was acting of her own free will. It's also kind of goofy that the Committee was so cheap about sending people to launch the rocket, seemingly sending like 10 guys and Misaki's mech.

The events over the course of the game and the characters were really good and enjoyable, though. I really liked the way it did the "character routes" relative to Steins;Gate; in this the character routes are all canon and just take place at different points over a several month period. So when you do one character's route, the events of another character's route that took place prior still happened.

By the way, a word of advice - never google anything related to the game while you're playing it. My game glitched out at one point and wouldn't show me the text to one of the (pretty early mild spoiler that wouldn't really spoil anything even if you read it)Kimijima Reports, so I tried to google it and one of the result preview texts just spoiled a somewhat major thing for me*.

* Specifically, I googled "Kimijima report text" and one of the first hits (I think the first) was a wiki link for Kou Kimijima with the preview text saying "Kou Kimijima is the author of the Kimijima Reports and the main antagonist of the series." :mad:

It's great to see someone using the original sprites! I used the PS3 ones, but in hindsight realized the original ones are the best at depicting expressions, etc.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 28, 2020

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I just finished this a couple days ago (about to start DaSH now).

Overall I liked it a whole lot. My only real problem is that (end-game spoilers, don't read if you're not done) the final conflict wasn't super compelling to me, because "mind-controlled Misaki" wasn't exactly the most compelling antagonist. I feel like it would have been better if she was acting of her own free will. It's also kind of goofy that the Committee was so cheap about sending people to launch the rocket, seemingly sending like 10 guys and Misaki's mech.

The events over the course of the game and the characters were really good and enjoyable, though. I really liked the way it did the "character routes" relative to Steins;Gate; in this the character routes are all canon and just take place at different points over a several month period. So when you do one character's route, the events of another character's route that took place prior still happened.

By the way, a word of advice - never google anything related to the game while you're playing it. My game glitched out at one point and wouldn't show me the text to one of the (pretty early mild spoiler that wouldn't really spoil anything even if you read it)Kimijima Reports, so I tried to google it and one of the result preview texts just spoiled a somewhat major thing for me.

It's great to see someone using the original sprites! I used the PS3 ones, but in hindsight realized the original ones are the best at depicting expressions, etc.

The main DaSH route is nice, but there’s also a few trash routes you’ll have to suffer through in the process

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It’s a story about kids in a rural countryside town while hosed up things happen. It’s Japanese Stranger Things. Contextualising it like that might help you get over the anime school tropes?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, a word of advice - never google anything related to the game while you're playing it. My game glitched out at one point and wouldn't show me the text to one of the (pretty early mild spoiler that wouldn't really spoil anything even if you read it)Kimijima Reports, so I tried to google it and one of the result preview texts just spoiled a somewhat major thing for me*.
No worries, I'm reading along a "low-effort" guide at Kiri Kiri Basara, and it just tells me the bare minimum of what to do, it's been enough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

their school is a shack in the woods where all 17 of the kids in the town are just crammed into the same classroom regardless of age, its not like there's talk about afterschool clubs

frankly the one school festival scene in umineko is more japanese high school stuff than higurashi has

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Half the game is about their afterschool club, or at least the parts that focus substantially on it are heavily frontloaded, so someone who's painfully allergic to anime slice of life featuring teenagers probably isn't going to find Higurashi easy to fall in love with. It's good though.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 28, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tsukihime remake is real and coming to Switch/PS4 in Summer 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMEuZGHbv-c

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 31, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

No word on an English language release yet

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Irony Be My Shield posted:

please :pray:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Half the game is about their afterschool club, or at least the parts that focus substantially on it are heavily frontloaded, so someone who's painfully allergic to anime slice of life featuring teenagers probably isn't going to find Higurashi easy to fall in love with. It's good though.
i mean, its about teenagers hanging out but the setting and tone are pretty different from your average school anime. im not saying its a cut above or anything but how small town it is and how genuinely weird the characters are is pretty different from high school soccer at a tokyo school or whatever.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
This Chair HD

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This announcement would come in the form of a separate licensing announcement. XSeed, Aniplex, who knows. Aniplex's FGO translation started out abysmally, one of the worst commercial translations I've ever seen by a major publisher (possibly THE worst), but they've since hired some new people and it's actually pretty good these days. I wouldn't mind if they keep working with Type Moon and pick up the Tsukihime remake. The Extra remake too, while we're at it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK, Higurashi sounds pretty cool. Will definitely have to check it out, but since I have both 13 Sentinels and Root Double I should get through those first before buying any more VNs (thought I guess 13 Sentinels isnt a VN in the normal sense).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

13S is as much of a VN as VLR, AI, etc.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh boy here we go.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This announcement would come in the form of a separate licensing announcement. XSeed, Aniplex, who knows. Aniplex's FGO translation started out abysmally, one of the worst commercial translations I've ever seen by a major publisher (possibly THE worst), but they've since hired some new people and it's actually pretty good these days. I wouldn't mind if they keep working with Type Moon and pick up the Tsukihime remake. The Extra remake too, while we're at it.
I do hope they pick it up. Almost no TM stuff being officially in English is a real anomaly.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

13S is a time management game

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Still going through Umineko, partway through arc 4...

I need to put my thoughts in order a little bit here.

Okay, so of course, on a meta level I understand that the whole "it's not magic <-> it's magic" game between Battler and Beatrice is supposed to represent readers of the VN making sensible theories and whatnot, but if we just look at this from a more 'in-universe' perspective... the game is really not making a great case for denying magic actually being the right thing, is it? We have the escapism analogy for both private-school-Ange and Maria (holy loving poo poo is Rosa a terrible mom, by the by) which you could argue is a bad thing in some ways, but then the game even goes out of its way to point out that it's making the people themselves happy so maybe it's good? Then Ange goes ahead and concludes that magic is real to any given person as long as they believe in it, regardless of what other people think, which kinda makes the whole Battler <-> Beatrice battle moot in the first place? I'm not entirely sure what the game is getting at yet, I guess is what I'm saying.

Also I have no idea how the Ange-of-1998 scenes are supposed to fit into this. Isn't her very existance (and old Eva's) proving that the conclusion of game 3 was the 'real' ending, for her anyway? (see also: those supposedly Beatrice-written bottle messages with the contents of games 1 and 2, and that signed page in Maria's notebook) Or are we expanding that 'truth is what someone accepts as truth' definition here, and we can still change everything as long as Ange herself accepts that the change is real? I guess that scene with Lambdadelta yelling at Ange was getting at that but Ange kinda failed to counter her.

Oh and what the gently caress is up with the timeline between Ange and Maria?? How did Ange denying Maria's magic in her school life (which is definitely *after* the Rokkenjima disaster) affect Maria while she was still alive and living with Rosa (which must have been before that)?? How literal are we supposed to take any of these Maria/Rosa scenes?

Don't actually answer any of this, by the way, this is mostly just me giving myself stuff to think about. Unless I'm, like, actively misunderstanding a premise here or something.

Aynway, even if it feels like I'm still accumulating questions at a faster rate than I can formulate even halfway sensible answers for them, this is a shockingly engaging read. Very much enjoying it still.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 2, 2021

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I actually just finished Umineko tonight. I loved it. (incredibly heavy spoilers) What an absolutely fantastic mystery, where the secret is a person's heart. I was deeply, deeply touched by Yasu's story.

That said, episode 8 felt a little overstuffed - the first half was pleasant with all the riddles, but it definitely got bogged down once the big battle scene started. I actually like Ange as a character, but there were a lot of odd, false climaxes that lead to new more bombastic battles with basically the same stakes. It just got tiring after a while, but it didn't ruin the experience. Hollow/Ataraxia did the 'everybody fights against a horde of enemies' thing quite a bit better.

The scene after the 'magic' ending with Battler and Beatrice absolutely sent me to tears. They could've had happiness if they believed they could live, but for so many reasons, they couldn't. The fact they never even got to perform as the Witch Beatrice, that the epitaph got solved before midnight on the first day, and that it all ended in blood and tears without any direct involvement from them - but they still couldn't forgive themselves and they died without anyone knowing their heart just eats me up inside.

Sleep peacefully, my beloved witch, Beatrice

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Aynway, even if it feels like I'm still accumulating questions at a faster rate than I can formulate even halfway sensible answers for them.

Well, you are still in the question arcs, after all, so this makes sense

Scrree posted:

That said, episode 8 felt a little overstuffed - the first half was pleasant with all the riddles, but it definitely got bogged down once the big battle scene started. I actually like Ange as a character, but there were a lot of odd, false climaxes that lead to new more bombastic battles with basically the same stakes. It just got tiring after a while, but it didn't ruin the experience. Hollow/Ataraxia did the 'everybody fights against a horde of enemies' thing quite a bit better.

Yeah, I've heard people say the opposite, but honestly the riddles are my favorite part of the chapter. One of the things Umineko is meant to be is a celebration of mysteries, and the riddles really help represent this, ranging from straightforward riddles to interesting tricks to downright mean ones like Maria's. And then George's and Jessica's is there to remind us that riddles and mysteries can also contain a deeper meaning. Riddles and mysteries are also linguistically linked in Japanese, where 謎 (nazo) is a mystery while 謎謎 (nazonazo) is a riddle.

And honestly, it was just a nice change in pace, particularly given how parts could get tedious given how long winded Ryuukishi07 is.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Umineko will seriously stick with you forever. I cannot believe the game has been complete for like 10 years now

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh boy here we go.

To which I mean "extremely a VN and anyone who disagrees is wrong"

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

:hai:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Which is what i was going "oh boy" over. Do we really need to start this argument?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Which is what i was going "oh boy" over. Do we really need to start this argument?

Nobody's starting an argument though? One person said "I guess it maybe doesn't count?" I said it does, and that's been that. The discussion can cleanly go back into another five to six pages of uninterrupted 07th Expansion spoiler blocks.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

There's a much higher chance that the Extra remake will be localized than the Tsukihime remake. Type-Moon seems to be a pain to deal with regards to their VN rights. Melty Blood though? Eh go for it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/HollowMoonTL/status/1344674251668742144

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dang I keep forgetting about Mahoyo. That's something to look forward to.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Keep in mind that by being Switch/PS4, actually getting said TL patch is going to be a bit more complicated than you'd usually prefer. It getting officially TLed is still going to be the path of least resistance.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Keep in mind that by being Switch/PS4, actually getting said TL patch is going to be a bit more complicated than you'd usually prefer. It getting officially TLed is still going to be the path of least resistance.

That's probably why they mentioned porting. Granted you'd still need the assets which, legally, is a PITA.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Welp see you in 2025 for the finished fan translation. :v:

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Can I hear more people's thoughts on the meta-fictional elements of Umineko? (whole novel spoilers) I feel like the more I think about, the less I understand about how Ange... interfaces with the Game Board story. Like, all of the episodes are fictionalized accounts of the Rokkenjima incident, that makes sense to me, but I don't quite understand why she keeps ending up back at that skyscraper. That's where she made her contract with Bern, but I guess I assumed Bern was more a personification of a metaphysical concept more than like, something that could actually effect the life of someone living in the 'real world'.

I feel like there is an important chain starting with the fact the first two episodes came directly from Yasu, who threw their story out in a bottle in a desperate ploy for someone to understand their heart, which eventually led Tohya to respond with their own answers, and finally permits Ange to come to an understanding of her families life and death. Yasu and Ange are people with very strong parallels in their stories, and it's only because Yasu sends those bottles out that Ange is able to decide she can be happy and keep living.

"You have to decide you can be happy" is strong theme in Umineko, although the work is large and intricate enough I think you can read it from a lot of different angles and it still holds up.

That said, I'm confused over like, the Ange suicide scene when she discovers 'The One Truth.' Why does she show up in the Golden Land? The characters say they found her in the endless abyss, but that feels... convenient? A violation of Knox's 6th, if you will.

More Umineko thoughts: the soundtrack bangs.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's something for the reader to decide. I think there is always a "real world" narrative that you can explain without resorting to supernatural elements. For example you can imagine Ange decided not to kill herself on the skyscraper because she wanted to return to Rokkenjima one more time, and had a profound revelation there that allowed her to continue living. Kasumi's goons were fought off by the man who was supposed to kill her after he betrayed his handlers.

Is the meta-world strictly a metaphor for this mental journey she has? Or does it have its own independent existence, affecting the "real world" indirectly in ways that can never be verified by an outside observer? I think it comes back to the only question Umineko ever asks of you.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

That's something for the reader to decide. I think there is always a "real world" narrative that you can explain without resorting to supernatural elements. For example you can imagine Ange decided not to kill herself on the skyscraper because she wanted to return to Rokkenjima one more time, and had a profound revelation there that allowed her to continue living. Kasumi's goons were fought off by the man who was supposed to kill her after he betrayed his handlers.

Is the meta-world strictly a metaphor for this mental journey she has? Or does it have its own independent existence, affecting the "real world" indirectly in ways that can never be verified by an outside observer? I think it comes back to the only question Umineko ever asks of you.

Yeah, I just assumed that Angie has a bit of a revelation as she is thinking about killing herself on the skyscraper, and most of the VN is just what is going on in Toya's mind as he deals with Battler's memories while reading through the stories in the bottles. Angie being in them is just from Toya's thoughts/regrets as Angie tries to contact him and he refuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Umineko arc 4

That reveal about Maria's spell to make her mom always love her killed me. I haven't felt emotions like that in a long time, goddamn.

I need some time to process this. More thoughts later.