Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
It took a month but my copy of Pere Ubu's The Modern Dance finally got here and the seller packed it like a mother fucker so it didn't get ruined in transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

RIP a legend. Remember all caps when you spell the man name.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Ballz posted:

RIP a legend. Remember all caps when you spell the man name.

this is why news orgs need to stop cutting together year-end in memoriam reels before the damned year is over.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

crazy he died 2 months ago and we're just finding out tonight

what a bummer

rest In peace man

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

RIP

pwn
May 27, 2004

first: I just updated my avatar to be 180x180 pixels, as that’s the current forums maximum and I added a new gang tag. Which leads me to query why we, the vinyl thread, do not have our own tag yet? I’m not really great at graphic design and besides my current laptop BSoD several times a session, so I’m not looking to take on another task right now. But I would definitely update my ‘tar again if there was a nice vinyls tag

Second,

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Trip report: 5 gallon paint stir sticks work really well when you cut them to size.

Only problem I encountered was that I have my kallax fixed to the wall and the right side is a little further from the wall than the left, so my plan of using a second stick to make the gaps the same didn't work out long term and I'll have to fix 2 or 3 of the rightmost cubes. The rest worked out really well.

I spent $18 on the supplies, the especially made backs were $72 with tax and shipping at $3 each.

Two sticks down to measure:

One stick left after being taped down:

Top row done, second row not done for comparison:

Full complete:

Took me about an hour to do.

Great work, and the day before you posted this I was digging through my post history and found one of yours where you showed off your shelf at the time

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I've been collecting for 10 years. Started off in college. I bought a copy of Asobi-Seksu's Citrus when I saw their show and figured I needed a way to play it.

Back then I ordered a (champagne faced!) Pioneer SX-626 on ebay (my winning bid was $36), which has since gone to my sister. I also got a cheap technics turntable and some thrifted records from a cool local goon. He sold me a lot of good stuff: Marvin Gaye, New Order, Beatles records, some CCR. I've been off to the races since. I think I'm close to 500 records.

I think my rarest ones are:
A handful of Velvet Underground/Lou Reed solo albums signed by Lou
DFA- You're A Woman, I'm a Machine autographed
DFA- Heads Up EP (og copy)
The Sword-Apocraphon
Nirvana - Hormoaning

I always try to get albums signed at shows so I have a lot of those. UMO, Mean Jeans, Sheer Mag, Feral Ohms, Phantogram, Asobi Seksu, Black Pistol Fire, probably some more I'm forgetting.

I remember really liking that setup. There is no real point to this, but thanks for showing nice photos of your nice stuff :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Gang tags are dumb

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Spanish Manlove posted:

Gang tags are dumb

I still want one. :shobon:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I know there are some fans of them in this thread, just saw that The KLF are coming to streaming platforms.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

You dudes got $450?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

first: I just updated my avatar to be 180x180 pixels, as that’s the current forums maximum and I added a new gang tag. Which leads me to query why we, the vinyl thread, do not have our own tag yet? I’m not really great at graphic design and besides my current laptop BSoD several times a session, so I’m not looking to take on another task right now. But I would definitely update my ‘tar again if there was a nice vinyls tag

What is the size for a gang tag? I have an idea I can whip together.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

sporklift posted:

150x55 (or under) seems to be the most standard size I upload these days.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I want it so bad but that price tag is definitely scaring me off

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

esperantinc posted:

I want it so bad but that price tag is definitely scaring me off

If it's going to Godzilla it has to be huge. I love that it exists even if it is way beyond my price range.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

If it's going to Godzilla it has to be huge. I love that it exists even if it is way beyond my price range.

Showa been making bank and breaking shelves with physical releases lately

https://twitter.com/cinemassacre/status/1189970320301740032?s=21

sporklift posted:

h*ck yea borther :hfive:

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 2, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm a little insulted that you thought I didn't already know that exists.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
reissue Sound Effect of Godzilla 1 and Sound Effect of Godzilla 2: Godzilla's Rivals already, cowards

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Moe_Rahn posted:

reissue Sound Effect of Godzilla 1 and Sound Effect of Godzilla 2: Godzilla's Rivals already, cowards

I'd be perfectly fine with having the score to the first movie and a single containing the theme song from Godzilla vs the Smog Monster.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

had a stupid realization today

because the markup on beatles records is generally ridiculous, I never really spent much time trying to collect them.

then my father-in-law decides to gift me his whole record collection

and, because he was a guy purchasing records in L.A. in the late 60s, they're all capitol pressings with the hosed-up track orders

and I'm okay with that

but the problem is that the two albums I go to most are rubber soul and revolver, which are both missing key tracks

and the record those tracks ended up on is yesterday and today, which is pissing me off

I'm sitting here poking through discogs and all the nonsense about the butcher cover means that every single pressing of the drat record has extensive notes about the cover and extremely jacked-up prices

I just want a clean player I can put on the shelf and listen to when my brain says it's time for drive my car or nowhere man and I don't feel like buying n replacement records from the UK (or n modern represses that'll all go for $35 new anyway)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I'd wait around for some uDiscover or Target sale or something and pick up a modern pressing for like 15 bux.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i got revolver from my aunt and had this exact problem, haha. she was a huge beatles fan during beatlemania but, like a lot of young people in fairly conservative households back then, mostly fell off after rubber soul, so she had no problem giving me her copy of revolver (i think she had some later stuff as well but i didn't really want to ask for more than one record :v:)

it's one of the oldest records in my collection - probably the oldest now that i think about it - and i can't imagine getting rid of it, but i'm probably gonna have to supplant it with the modern pressings as Ballz suggested

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I still regret not getting more of the mono LP reissues a few years back because they went out of print and are absurdly overpriced now. I picked up Revolver when those were still in print and it sounds great. I believe the mono one were all analog pressings because people were irate that the stereo reissues were digitally mastered. I can't understand them putting the mono ones out of print since those are the definitive versions of the albums and because they made such a big deal out of them. Thankfully I got the mono CDs of all the albums I like and those sound pretty good too.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ballz posted:

I'd wait around for some uDiscover or Target sale or something and pick up a modern pressing for like 15 bux.

the capitol pressings are out of print; after 2009, all worldwide pressings use the current canonical configurations (UK EMI pressings except for the US Magical Mystery Tour)

so I'd have to either find a reasonably-priced yesterday and today (difficult) or get modern pressings of help, revolver, and rubber soul (expensive)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

hexwren posted:

the capitol pressings are out of print; after 2009, all worldwide pressings use the current canonical configurations (UK EMI pressings except for the US Magical Mystery Tour)

so I'd have to either find a reasonably-priced yesterday and today (difficult) or get modern pressings of help, revolver, and rubber soul (expensive)

Oh my bad, I just thought you wanted any version.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I was gonna put something like... "we like the b-side" but I dunno. Any suggestions for what it should say?

Blank one

Made this and realized it was basically the logo on the door to my favorite bar here in town. They sell panties that say "I like it in the B-Side"

sporklift fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 2, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

This copy of Yesterday and Today comes out to 15 bucks with the shipping.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1211247274

sporklift posted:

I was gonna put something like... "we like the b-side" but I dunno. Any suggestions for what it should say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXGPZaTKik

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If there’s a gang tag made that doesn’t say Crosley Crew on it, well I just don’t know...

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 2, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Vinyls is the plural of Vinyl

pwn
May 27, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

If there’s a gang tag made that doesn’t say Crosley Crew on it, well I just don’t know...

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
SPINS THE BLACK CIRCLE

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
licorice pizza party

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Another rough idea I had. I'm working all weekend so I wont have time to mess with these. I like Crosley Crew for the other image.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This but "VNYLS"

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I finally broke down and bought a new copy of the Nirvana: Unplugged in New York 25th Anniversary Edition. I missed the print when it happened and had to go the ebay route.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

sporklift posted:

Another rough idea I had. I'm working all weekend so I wont have time to mess with these. I like Crosley Crew for the other image.

i dont like gang tags but this one gave me a chuckle

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

I love it.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I finally broke down and bought a new copy of the Nirvana: Unplugged in New York 25th Anniversary Edition. I missed the print when it happened and had to go the ebay route.

Is there additional material or is it just the original album spread across two discs. I didn't hear about this release at all.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

sporklift posted:

You have to provide photographic proof of owning at least two Herb Alpert albums to get this.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

out of 10 exclusive, hand numbered gangtags*.

*second pressing coming in blue, out of ten again.

dorium fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 3, 2021

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

dorium posted:

out of 10 exclusive, hand numbered gangtags*.

*second pressing coming in blue, out of ten again.

that’s the good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The girl from Whipped Cream but with an animated wink, and the text reads VINYL ME PLZ