Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

of course, the lesson to take here is to not ignore arguments you don't understand when doing a dangerous operation but linux unix is not ux so gently caress you here's a reboot instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

carry on then posted:

of course, the lesson to take here is to not ignore arguments you don't understand when doing a dangerous operation but linux unix is not ux so gently caress you here's a reboot instead

Also copy/paste one liners will always be a fun and interesting way to streamline your day

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

pkill > killall

pgrep > piping poo poo to get an app's pid

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

oh look, someone ported linux to nintendo 64 (again)

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mips/20201225190503.12353218812e1655f56f0bf8@gmx.com/T/#m0862c3484e0da7195dc8989421d30f01b3b1c63a

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

haha neat

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
now all we need to do is port an emulator

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

pigs seems to be flying, sony released their own linux hid driver for the playstation 5 controller

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-input/patch/20201219062336.72568-2-roderick@gaikai.com/

(well, they did put themselves up maintaining hid-sony a year ago, so maybe not that surprising, but it's still pretty unprecedented being sony)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

further positioning for streaming presumably.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
must be an android adjacent thing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
they should skip Linux and just contribute to FreeBSD

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eschaton posted:

they should skip Linux and just contribute to FreeBSD

sony ships millions of devices running freebsd and even they don't see the value in contributing upstream to a dead os

i think they sent a few trivial patches upstream in the ps4 days and that's it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tankakern posted:

pigs seems to be flying, sony released their own linux hid driver for the playstation 5 controller

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-input/patch/20201219062336.72568-2-roderick@gaikai.com/

(well, they did put themselves up maintaining hid-sony a year ago, so maybe not that surprising, but it's still pretty unprecedented being sony)

i'm glad they split it into another driver. hid-sony was getting pretty huge and convoluted as it supported both ps3 and ps4 controllers, the move controllers, janky 3rd party ps3 controllers that need weird hacks, the ps3 remote and some kind of keyboard

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Workaday Wizard posted:

must be an android adjacent thing

Android requires you to deal with vendor kernels i.e. this kernel driver that they have written and released will never actually appear on existing devices, making it useless

it'd make more sense for their Android app to implement their full custom HID protocol entirely in userspace, because then it'd actually work

this is for PlayStation Now, there's even people with gaikai.com email addresses involved.

weird that they're not porting their FreeBSD fork to the server, though, I guess their primary consideration for selecting FreeBSD on the PlayStation 4 was that Linux is GPL 2 and GPL 2 doesn't matter on the server (stallman was right, etc.)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

Android requires you to deal with vendor kernels i.e. this kernel driver that they have written and released will never actually appear on existing devices, making it useless

it'd make more sense for their Android app to implement their full custom HID protocol entirely in userspace, because then it'd actually work

this is for PlayStation Now, there's even people with gaikai.com email addresses involved.

weird that they're not porting their FreeBSD fork to the server, though, I guess their primary consideration for selecting FreeBSD on the PlayStation 4 was that Linux is GPL 2 and GPL 2 doesn't matter on the server (stallman was right, etc.)

lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

the current driver that supports ps3 and ps4 controllers already ships in android, and sdl implements userspace raw hid drivers for ps and xbox controllers. it's how they work in things like the steam link app on apple devices

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i have a good feeling about 2021 folks, let’s keep fighting the good fight and make this the year of linus on the desktop

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

i have a good feeling about 2021 folks, let’s keep fighting the good fight and make this the year of linus on the desktop
Who needs cortana when you can have Linus on the desktop!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
just chuckling to myself over the thought of someone using linux on a desktop :allears:

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

My hope is that 2021 brings us more of Richard Stallman's toe cheese.

ganoo

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

just chuckling to myself over the thought of someone using linux on a desktop :allears:

Linux on the desktop is never going to happen by now, but it's because nobody uses desktops and not because nobody uses Linux.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
does any GNU/Linux have a voice assistant named Gary?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

xtal posted:

Linux on the desktop is never going to happen by now, but it's because nobody uses desktops and not because nobody uses Linux.

people use linux???

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
linux is cool. linux ftw

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mycophobia posted:

linux is cool. linux ftw

As an embedded Linux engineer: This is not true.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mycophobia posted:

linux is cool. linux ftw

:same:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

mycophobia posted:

linux is cool. linux ftw

is it really though?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i was thinking these days i spend so much time dicking around with packer, docker, ansible, k8s and blah blah i rarely do any linux janitoring anymore. its become this anonymous substrate you throw your awful software on top of. sad state of affairs

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

pram posted:

is it really though?

i mean. i like it better than win 10

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pram posted:

i was thinking these days i spend so much time dicking around with packer, docker, ansible, k8s and blah blah i rarely do any linux janitoring anymore. its become this anonymous substrate you throw your awful software on top of. sad state of affairs

This is all operating systems. Your operating system is a piece of poo poo though.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

Docker was like a 10 or 20 year regression for the state of the art, unfortunately.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

qsvui posted:

people use linux???

Pretty much everything that isn't a desktop Windows PC or an iPhone runs Linux

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
iphone also runs a linux

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
iOS is NOT linux!

It's derived from Mac OS X, which in turn is a continuation of NeXTStep, a UNIX-like OS running on the Mach microkernel. linux is a monolithic kernel cooked up in a crazy finn's garage and patched six ways from sunday by a bunch of mega corps that are too cheap to properly license a real UNIX.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bsd, also, is a linux

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
NetBSD runs my favorite public UNIX server, the Super Dimension Fortress (sdf.org)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

excuse me but it is an linux

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

HP/UX?

Also a linux

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
aix was the original linux

in a well actually