Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Bristol and South Gloucestershire had a similar situation with Cribbs Causeway, the major shopping centre, being in Tier 3 while everything south of it was Tier 2.

Now everything is back to 3 though so not to worry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

serious gaylord posted:

I got my areas mixed up, its Upton not Hamworthy but its still the same thing.

Also its just stupid isn't it. All those people that work in those stores will be travelling into tier 4 to do their work, but they cant shop there. Stupid system.

My boss' house is in a tier 2 area (before everywhere became tier 4). But again, it's on a region boundary so technically if goes to the end of the road he's in a tier 4.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

CyberPingu posted:

My boss' house is in a tier 2 area (before everywhere became tier 4). But again, it's on a region boundary so technically if goes to the end of the road he's in a tier 4.

Raids on differently tiered areas presumably count as buccaneering?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

kyojin posted:

Raids on differently tiered areas presumably count as buccaneering?

Depends. If he stands in his area with a fishing rod and hooks things as they go by. He's not leaving his area

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have a letter of marque signed by george galloway and the bishop of durham which entitles me to seize the contents of thy supermarket in the name of queen victoria.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

They could practice some illicit cross border trade that might be needed over the coming years. Tier 4 groceries exchanged for Tier 2 restaurant doggy bags over whatever hedgerow/carpark barrier designates the border.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ronya posted:

the Tories hung themselves on the hope of Test and Trace to resolve the risks they were taking - if anything they were too optimistic on the potential to identify a light-touch solution

and the rhetoric always exposed a kind of unreal regard for it as a panacea - let's say it does work in its optimal scenario, i.e., before mass community transmission, when a new single cluster is identified. And then what? Who hauls all the contacts to isolation for fourteen days?

never mind China, is one even just prepared to be the totalitarian dystopia that is Australia? And if not, why not?

Ronya, it's been said time and again that your posts would be better if you just used fewer words.

ronya posted:

the Tories hung themselves

See?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Oh it's a wanking post

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
#ToryLies is trending on Twitter today :allears:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Are they seriously going to gently caress with the vaccine dosing :psyduck:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

crispix posted:

Are they seriously going to gently caress with the vaccine dosing :psyduck:

Yep. It's insane. loving insane.

E: whoops. hosed up the middle page.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 2, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Seriously considering reporting the CMOs to the GMC. They can be dobbed on multiple areas in Good Medical Practice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
What POSSIBLE loving justification is there for NHSE providing advice that is directly loving contradictory to the usage instructions on the product?!

(also is there a page missing in that letter?)

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 2, 2021

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Mebh posted:

Are there other pages in between?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Ewan posted:

Are there other pages in between?
the source for those pages looks like the Doctors' Association Twitter account
https://twitter.com/TheDA_UK/status/1344641247806435330

(3 pictures)

ed: i'm an idiot, it's in here

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 2, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Better opposition than the actual opposition party

https://twitter.com/LesDennis/status/1345095589147643905?s=19

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
wonder how the Canadian single dose first policy is working out

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1345072318981271553?s=20

ummmm still not calling for schools to be closed are you, wes, but at least you've stopped actively calling for them to be open like you were just days ago

the real issue here is the dither and delay (with regard to making a decision we opposed until you made it)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Whoops hosed up the links. Fixed now!

I don't even know how to process it. It's like. Even though I knew they'd gently caress it up, I didn't think they'd gently caress it up THIS badly.

Every time we think we've hit the bottom...

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Les Dennis for Labour leader imo

OUR SURVEY SAYS

*ping*

hehehehehehehhhhehe :newlol:

REMEMBUUR t'ninetehs??!? eh??? d'ya remembuur?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm well and truly done with the word 'dither' as a political insult. I can't read it without seeing Johnson's smug face during the 2019 debates.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Shout-out to no-one in government or media doing anything to stop "children don't get covid symptoms" being interpreted as "children don't get covid" or even attempting to encourage children to wear masks. I have seen a couple of kids wearing masks around here, but otherwise not one child at the nearby school or around the neighborhood, even up to college/sixth form age has been wearing one, nor their parents, nor when they get on public transport. They seem to literally believe that they are completely exempt. I wonder if the dire news from the hospitals will spook people into doing what nobody in the public sphere has even attempted to encourage them to do.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

crispix posted:

Les Dennis for Labour leader imo

OUR SURVEY SAYS

*ping*

hehehehehehehhhhehe :newlol:

REMEMBUUR t'ninetehs??!? eh??? d'ya remembuur?

tbf this is genuinely the only way they'd win in 2024

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Admittedly it's on twitter but a Labour minister in actually doing something shocker

https://twitter.com/peterkyle/status/1345286875611869184?s=19

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

id suck a dick a day instead of paying rent

but i like sucking dick :shrug:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I wonder if the dire news from the hospitals will spook people into doing what nobody in the public sphere has even attempted to encourage them to do.

Having just done a deep-dive in a Twitter thread full of smiley-face lunatics, I'm thinking... no

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

hemale in pain posted:

id suck a dick a day instead of paying rent

but i like sucking dick :shrug:

what if it's attached to one of the mutants pictured :/

and/or is a really quite bad and gross willy

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

crispix posted:

what if it's attached to one of the mutants pictured :/

and/or is a really quite bad and gross willy

yeah, you'd need a dick pic first to be sure

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Shout-out to no-one in government or media doing anything to stop "children don't get covid symptoms" being interpreted as "children don't get covid" or even attempting to encourage children to wear masks. I have seen a couple of kids wearing masks around here, but otherwise not one child at the nearby school or around the neighborhood, even up to college/sixth form age has been wearing one, nor their parents, nor when they get on public transport. They seem to literally believe that they are completely exempt. I wonder if the dire news from the hospitals will spook people into doing what nobody in the public sphere has even attempted to encourage them to do.

At my school, they have to wear them inside in communal areas (eg corridors/stairs). Nearly everyone does. Year 11 aren't always great between classrooms at lunchtime, but I know that mostly cos that's where my duty is. I'd say about 5-10% of students wear a mask in class. School buses I believe they wear them, but I don't ever see that.

When they're outside however yeah they come straight off.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose posted:

Admittedly it's on twitter but a Labour minister in actually doing something shocker

Does linking to the Mail constitute 'doing something' now?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Jose posted:

This is grim and I presume illegal.

Only one thing is that I feel this sort of investigative reporting should be focused on those that co-erce or bring in sex later into the landlord/tenant relationship; this is much more likely to be abusive and exploitative. The three guys in the Daily Mail vid were all from craigslist adverts where they made clear up front what this was about.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

stev posted:

Does linking to the Mail constitute 'doing something' now?

The twitter thread calls for specific action

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/02/government-faces-major-revolt-on-schools-reopening-in-england-over-covid-fears posted:

The National Education Union (NEU), which represents the majority of teachers and more than 450,000 school staff in the UK, will inform its members that it is not safe for them to return to school until mid-January at the earliest.

It expects most of its members will follow its advice, forcing most schools to switch to online learning for the majority of their pupils.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
another victory for Keir Starmer's Labour Party!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Lol at literally nobody in the country knowing whether schools are opening in 48 hours

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Also I agree with the sentiment of this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/02/follow-covid-restrictions-break-rules-compliance

quote:

It was only as lockdown was eased that compliance began to decrease. Partly, people felt the situation was safer. But other factors contributed too. For many, the new rules were simply too complex to understand. While during lockdown 90% of adults in the UK reported feeling they understood the rules, by August this figure was just 45% in England. Conflicting rules across UK nations, frequent changes to rules, and confusion about dates of announcement (as opposed to dates of implementation) exacerbated the situation.

But the message from the government about adherence also changed after the revelations about the actions of Dominic Cummings, which were followed by a decrease in compliance. Returning to a single event might seem like bearing a grudge, but it was pivotal for many reasons. During lockdown the message on compliance was clear: social restrictions were vital to stop the spread of the virus, so everyone had to play their part; no excuses, no exemptions. But Cummings changed the tone: if you could find a loophole in the rules, it somehow became acceptable (and defensible) to break them. The enemy changed from being the virus itself to being the measures designed to curb the virus.

This shift in tone did not go unnoticed, as our research at UCL showed. The same sacrifices people had willingly made in the spring as part of a collective social responsibility suddenly seemed less necessary. Goodwill turned to anger and upset, largely targeted towards the government that defended Cummings’ actions. Trust in the government to handle the pandemic took a sharp downward turn in England, from which it has not recovered since. Trust is crucial, as research has shown that it is one of the largest behavioural predictors of compliance during this pandemic: larger than mental health, belief in the health service or numerous other factors. As humans, we need to trust our authorities if we are to follow what they tell us to do.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Mebh posted:

Whoops hosed up the links. Fixed now!

I don't even know how to process it. It's like. Even though I knew they'd gently caress it up, I didn't think they'd gently caress it up THIS badly.

Every time we think we've hit the bottom...

There's a real sense of government panic coming across in these changes to the vaccine rollout. Like the opening scenes of Enemy At the Gates but with RNA instead of rifles.
The MMR panic was started by a few nutters and had a massive effect on public attitudes to immunisation. If we run a national vaccination programme less on science and more "suck-it-and-see" that's going to do huge damage to public trust.
If you elect the kind of people who think running a government is best done by bluffing your competence, it's inevitable they'll try that approach on other fields too. Unfortunately, it seems it's medicine's turn at the moment.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Decent article.

I'd be all for a complete refresh and simplification of the rules. The tiers are a shitshow. They simply do not work when they change every 3 days and when they are based on arbitrary council boundaries that give rise to issues such as someone posted here where one side of the road is a different tier than the other. And it does not help that there is a very vague and inconsistent mixture of law vs guidance.

Just put in a March/April-style national lockdown, with simple clear (and strict, enforced) rules, for a 4 week time period with a set review after, say, 3 weeks. At that review tell people a) lockdown will end as planned with some less strict, but national restrictions/guidance or b) it will be extended for a further set time period with another set review date. And as far as possible, this approach should be coordinated w/ the devolveds.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Jose posted:

The twitter thread calls for specific action

National news have reported on this before. It gained a bit of traction (think it was in the headlines for a few days) around two years ago but for some reason the reporting just... stopped. "Landlord offering 'sex for rent' arrangement with women says he is not breaking the law. (Linked Independent article from last time this practice made the news).

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Ewan posted:

Decent article.

I'd be all for a complete refresh and simplification of the rules. The tiers are a shitshow. They simply do not work when they change every 3 days and when they are based on arbitrary council boundaries that give rise to issues such as someone posted here where one side of the road is a different tier than the other. And it does not help that there is a very vague and inconsistent mixture of law vs guidance.

Just put in a March/April-style national lockdown, with simple clear (and strict, enforced) rules, for a 4 week time period with a set review after, say, 3 weeks. At that review tell people a) lockdown will end as planned with some less strict, but national restrictions/guidance or b) it will be extended for a further set time period with another set review date. And as far as possible, this approach should be coordinated w/ the devolveds.

Yeah. That should have been the response on Brexit Day/AstraZeneca announcement day. Simplest thing to sell in the world about how our proud British vaccine was coming in to save the day but needed a national lockdown to make it the most effective. Something along the lines of (but better written than)...

Today we make the decision to bring in a national lockdown. It has been a hard decision to come to, but we need to protect our heroes who work in the NHS from being overwhelmed by this more virulent strain. Thanks to our British Vaccine being approved and rolling out from Monday, we are confident that we are almost through this. To ensure the vaccination runs as smoothly as possible, we want to minimise the load on our heroic hospitals. With this lockdown, by the end of January we are sure that the case load will fall and the most vulnerable in our society will have received their first vaccinations. Then we can enjoy our freedoms having left the EU.