Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Amy Pole Her posted:

So it looks like D. Smith is a strong Heisman Candidate. If he wins, does he become the #1 WR in the draft over Chase? If so, where do you see them both going, respectively, in the draft?

Honestly, Chase, Waddle, and Smith are essentially going to be a matter of GM/coach preference. Chase is basically a reincarnated OBJ as a prospect where he’s conceivably done everything you can in that offense and the question is just what happens when he’s THE guy in an offense without necessarily a running mate. Waddle as a weird fusion of Lesean McCoy and Santana Moss in his ability to do both one-cut and deep burns but with room to grow on his diagonal/combo routes. Smith—I stick by my Juju comparison although I’ve seen someone compare him to Marvin Harrison, which is a good technical comparison but underrated Marvin physically a touch I think though it’s a fair ceiling for him. I like all 3, though I don’t think the class is quite at the Julio/AJ draft caliber yet. Probably just a notch below that, higher top end than last year but maybe not as deep 4-8 on the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Raku posted:

How is every sec team that isn't Vandy a weak slate

Because most of those teams were middling to bad? I don’t think Bama’s schedule was uniquely bad, it’s just that lack of cross conference matchups, limited practices, cancellations, players quarantining or choosing to sit out the season all contributed to it being a weak year for college football in general.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Man, looking back there were a few years there in the aughts where the 1st WR off the board would just of course be an all pro caliber guy. Turns out to have just been weird chance that Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson were all right around one another.

E: Oh gently caress, I totally forgot Charles Rodgers got picked before Andre Johnson. That is a bad beat.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

dax milne from byu (zach wilson’s top wideout) declared for the draft if you’re looking for your “fifth round white wide receiver who’s plucky and a grinder and gonna carve out 1k yards from the slot” guy

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Declan MacManus posted:

dax milne from byu (zach wilson’s top wideout) declared for the draft if you’re looking for your “fifth round white wide receiver who’s plucky and a grinder and gonna carve out 1k yards from the slot” guy

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Excited to see if Fields will make the #2 pick interesting tonight.

https://twitter.com/MarkSchofield/status/1345031340685725696

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Justin Fields needs to show up today. Wilson's surpassed him on most boards and he runs the risk of falling even further down the list. But if he shows dominance today (and potentially next week) he could very easily slide right back into the lock at 2nd overall.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
When Lawrence misses, he seems to miss high a good chunk of those times. Is that a mechanical thing and if so, what causes it?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Fields locking up QB2 tonight? I never thought he slipped behind Wilson but he's playing great tonight.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wandler20 posted:

Fields locking up QB2 tonight? I never thought he slipped behind Wilson but he's playing great tonight.

I'd normally say bowl game bounces (or playoff games in this case) are suspect as hell, but this year is weird and he was #2 on everyone's board going in if we'd had a regular year so I don't know. Nothing really matters until the combine/pro days is the safest thing to say.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kirios posted:

Justin Fields needs to show up today. Wilson's surpassed him on most boards and he runs the risk of falling even further down the list. But if he shows dominance today (and potentially next week) he could very easily slide right back into the lock at 2nd overall.

Is Darnold done? Like is that the general consensus? I have to admit I haven't watched him play (I've seen maybe 2 of his games as a pro). Being in the dumpster fire that is Gase's offense obviously doesn't help but I'm torn between the Jets being generally inept everywhere and knowing for sure he's pretty much not going to make it.

The Jets aforementioned ineptitude kinda makes me wonder too, are they dumb enough to stick with him regardless of him actually being poo poo, or are they dumb enough not to realise that it's Gase and jettison Darnold anyway do they get rid of both?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
the Panthers should just trade up to 2 now

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

BlindSite posted:

Is Darnold done? Like is that the general consensus? I have to admit I haven't watched him play (I've seen maybe 2 of his games as a pro). Being in the dumpster fire that is Gase's offense obviously doesn't help but I'm torn between the Jets being generally inept everywhere and knowing for sure he's pretty much not going to make it.

The Jets aforementioned ineptitude kinda makes me wonder too, are they dumb enough to stick with him regardless of him actually being poo poo, or are they dumb enough not to realise that it's Gase and jettison Darnold anyway do they get rid of both?

Darnold is hosed. He might be able to get back to a middle of the pack QB once he gets to a competent coach like Tannehill did, but he's absolutely hosed right now. No way the Jets go into the next season with him as the #1 option.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Grittybeard posted:

I'd normally say bowl game bounces (or playoff games in this case) are suspect as hell, but this year is weird and he was #2 on everyone's board going in if we'd had a regular year so I don't know. Nothing really matters until the combine/pro days is the safest thing to say.

fields’ big problem this year is that he keyed in aggressively on his first read and relied heavily on two receivers to a comically exaggerated degree

38 rec, 621 yds, 5 td
36 rec, 528 yds, 5 td
44 rec, 374 yds, 4 td

the first two are wilson and olave, and the last one is every other combined receiver on the team this year

he looks good tonight and he’s spreading the ball around but that hasn’t been the case this season and it’s a troubling pattern long term when his team isn’t going to have a ginormous talent gap

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Fields is great. He was missing both his starting WRs against Northwestern and his starting RB. That made everyone hate him when predictably Northwestern put everything on a fourth string WR and a true freshman. He makes reads and progressions. It just takes a bit. His arm is fine, especially accurate in corner and sideline routes. I mean he'd totally be a #1 pick in most drafts. I don't really have Wilson above him at all.

Lawrence is also great. Tons of great pressure all night from Ohio State and none of it was being picked up. Rodgers and Powell are just alright. They've been in that program forever and kind of are defacto starters while E.J. Williams gets worked up. Powell had a nice game against prevent defense I guess but Rodgers was getting smothered. The only egregious miss I can remember was him delivering a bad pass down the middle to Davis Allen with the pressure not quite in his face yet.

Travis Etienne also can't block worth a poo poo and will get supremely overdrafted.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, fields dissuaded a lot of my concerns tonight. I still worry about some of his moments where he trusts his arm or locks on reads too much, but he got through progressions a lot better tonight. Two woofers where he picked a read too early and had a guy underneath. Deep ball touch was insane. I stick by his hand injury messing with his release probably made things exacerbated with the backup receivers against northwestern along with the cloud/bail techniques in place. Still gotta work on progressions, but he’s farther along than pretty much anyone else with those tools save Lawrence.

Similarly, I feel good that I nailed Lawrence. Pressure got to him, and he made a lot of good throws regardless until the end. He winds up more than I thought when he’s going deep, but I don’t think it’ll matter much. I do worry a bit too about some of his work at the line, given that he did very minimal audible and hot route work today despite having serious opportunities to do so. I think he can handle the keys but wasn’t allowed to tonight.

Also, I know exactly who I think etienne is as a prospect—Giovani Bernard. Not big or blocky enough to be a true every down back. Can catch the ball and make elusive/receiver type plays with speed.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Boy sure sounds like a trade up to #3 is worth a ton

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Amy Pole Her posted:

I just felt a great disturbance in the force... it was like tens of texans fans cried out... and were suddenly silenced

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Olave is underrated on the draft boards, imo.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Amy Pole Her posted:

Do the dolphins have a good LT?

If not, seems like it’d be hard to pass on one of the most hyped LT prospects in a long while.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

whos that broooown posted:

Olave is underrated on the draft boards, imo.

He’s so incredibly smooth on the boundary and deep it’s amazing. The route running is solid, but I’m just what’s really impressive is his ability to read safeties before his breaks and sit down in time. Reminds me a lot of Amari Cooper but doesn’t necessarily break shallow crosses big the way Smith or Waddle do. Could be Cooper, could be Sterling Shepherd. If he runs in the 4.4s he could sneak into the first. Basically, it’s just a question of how well his route combos translate, because I think he’s fast enough, and he separated on everyone in college. Route tree is fuller than when urban was around, so it won’t shock me that he’s a steal. Other question is if he’s big enough to survive NFL press—since that’s been the sticking point for a lot of guys like him before.

I’ve been taking some notes on both games. Definitely going to rewatch Fields and rewatch the OSU blocking schemes to figure out how those guys were so consistent with 8 different guys in, but I’m also looking to take apart the Clemson pass D and what exactly Dabo was trying to do with Etienne tonight. A couple guys made money tonight, and quite a few lost some.

For as successful as they’ve been, I don’t think there’s a single O lineman on that Clemson team that’s going to be an NFL guy based on what I saw tonight. Those guys could barely execute even base schemes tonight against an OSU front down their best edge guy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team that elite with that mediocre of an O line set. Rogers and Powell are probably mid round guys—nowhere near what even Higgins was coming out. More in line with Martavis Bryant or guys like that.

Oh, and Shaun Wade objectively hurt his draft stock tonight. He clearly got told to bail all night to cut the deep ball and give up short yards to force them to keep executing, but he straight up can’t cover on man on a good boundary receiver. I think he’s a nickel/Safety hybrid at the next level, because he just doesn’t have the feet to play the field or the ball skills to play the boundary. Dude kept falling over the middle and getting missed. Banks might be the better corner on this team at this point since he actually demonstrated some ball skills and coverage tonight although I hate the way he tries to tackle at the thigh and not the hip. He probably needs another year. Definitely a down year for the OSU DB factory. Proctor is one of the worst tacklers I’ve ever seen and has bad hands for a free safety. Hooker could be promising in a role like what Wade did last year but may not have the speed to do it in the NFL. It’s a huge falloff from the days of having Lattimore or Denzel Ward out there.

Clemso/a defense looked like all their best players are either young or not nfl types. Bresee looks like a future top 10 guy from burst alone, and their edge guys are good but clearly don’t have the move set yet to deal with guys who can’t just be long armed or slapped away. LB corps is average at best and looked faster with the backups but less stout. Their DBs...I don’t think I’ve seen a team elect to play Cover 0 in situations like that and fail that miserably. Kendrick flashed at times, but he doesn’t have the ball skills I want in a high corner and was clearly not used to guys keeping up with Olave deep and on the edge. Sheridan Jones could be a guy to look at in a year if he takes a leap, since he kept up better but spent the day having to follow the objectively slower of the two OSU receivers.

The other semi was less interesting from a draft standpoint. Bama corners looked like NFL players against a ND receiving corps that isn’t landing anyone in the league this year. ND TEs could be looked at like Bama’s receiver room last year in terms of number of future pros but doesn’t have a single guy that scares me like a Pitts or even an Eifert. Most illuminating thing to me was just how different Saban’s front 7 are this year. Very little pass rush early, like a lot of his early Bama teams, but it’s offset by how quickly they snuff out runs and wear down tackles for zone blitzes by the LBs. The entire Bama offense will at least have a cup of coffee in the nfl if not more, but it’s very odd that this defense feels so lackluster upfront given the steak of Kaijus Saban had going Larry. Barmore might be a high pick but still looks raw and like a tweeter between a 5/4 and passing down 3 tech guy who is still finding his rhythm.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Doltos posted:

Travis Etienne also can't block worth a poo poo and will get supremely overdrafted.

How many "star" RBs are actually good at pass pro coming out of college? I don't think its a whole lot

I remember a lot of people wanted Shaun Wade to comeback for a senior year to see if he could play outside CB. I feel that was a no when Jahan Dotson owned him on consecutive plays and the rest of the season hasn't worked for him much either.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How many "star" RBs are actually good at pass pro coming out of college? I don't think its a whole lot

I remember a lot of people wanted Shaun Wade to comeback for a senior year to see if he could play outside CB. I feel that was a no when Jahan Dotson owned him on consecutive plays and the rest of the season hasn't worked for him much either.

Zeke was a better blocker than most TEs coming out. Chubb and Swift were also better than you would think.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Dalvin Cook was a horrendous blocker and now he's really good. I honestly think blocking can be taught to just about any RB if they're willing. Gio Bernard is a great blocker and that dude is 150 pounds.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

TheGreyGhost posted:

Also, I know exactly who I think etienne is as a prospect—Giovani Bernard. Not big or blocky enough to be a true every down back. Can catch the ball and make elusive/receiver type plays with speed.

Gio is a phenominal blocker.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

TheGreyGhost posted:

The other semi was less interesting from a draft standpoint. Bama corners looked like NFL players against a ND receiving corps that isn’t landing anyone in the league this year. ND TEs could be looked at like Bama’s receiver room last year in terms of number of future pros but doesn’t have a single guy that scares me like a Pitts or even an Eifert. Most illuminating thing to me was just how different Saban’s front 7 are this year. Very little pass rush early, like a lot of his early Bama teams, but it’s offset by how quickly they snuff out runs and wear down tackles for zone blitzes by the LBs. The entire Bama offense will at least have a cup of coffee in the nfl if not more, but it’s very odd that this defense feels so lackluster upfront given the steak of Kaijus Saban had going Larry. Barmore might be a high pick but still looks raw and like a tweeter between a 5/4 and passing down 3 tech guy who is still finding his rhythm.

I actually think Saban has the d-line playing less aggressively and more focused on containment because the linebackers are so much worse (due solely to Dylan Moses) at cleaning up mistakes.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Do the dolphins have a good LT?

If not, seems like it’d be hard to pass on one of the most hyped LT prospects in a long while.

They drafted one in the first round this last year, but fell into that "wait and see" category of starting rookie and I'd tend to think they wouldn't let that stand in the way of a prospect like Sewell.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Fields still locks in on one receiver ignoring wide open guys. That is how IU almost made it a game. Just bait him into the two guys he likes. He’s gonna chuck it up no matter what release the dragon baby

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Dalvin Cook was a horrendous blocker and now he's really good. I honestly think blocking can be taught to just about any RB if they're willing. Gio Bernard is a great blocker and that dude is 150 pounds.

Aaron Jones was actively kept out of games because he was trash at blocking (also because McCarthy was dumb) and now he's acceptable at it.

It shouldn't take longer than a season or two for a RB to pick up pass blocking.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Gio is a phenominal blocker.

Bleh, didn’t mean that for the act of blocking—was referring to his frame and the fact that he’s just not an ideal every-down back since he’s fairly narrow.. Miracle of midnight posting on that.

Raku posted:

I actually think Saban has the d-line playing less aggressively and more focused on containment because the linebackers are so much worse (due solely to Dylan Moses) at cleaning up mistakes.

This wouldn’t surprise me. That seems like the most limited group of backers he’s had short of injuries since at least 2014. I don’t know that any of them are early draft picks right now.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

Aaron Jones was actively kept out of games because he was trash at blocking (also because McCarthy was dumb) and now he's acceptable at it.

It shouldn't take longer than a season or two for a RB to pick up pass blocking.

It's the biggest question mark for Mixon. It really puts the team in an awkward spot having both cuz in theory Mixon is as much a weapon in the passing game as Gio, but you're in some cases effectively doubling the time a qb can hold the ball behind our garbage line with Gio out there.

Gio low key is a decent 1 cut runner between the tackles as well. It's counter intuitive, but his biggest liability is that he doesn't have the speed to break away. If you watch his big runs he'll always get caught from behind if it's just a footrace. If there's a hole he'll find it for 3-8 yards, but he's not gonna rip off a 60 yard td for ya. To my knowledge he has 2 50 yard plays in his entire career.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

TheGreyGhost posted:

Bleh, didn’t mean that for the act of blocking—was referring to his frame and the fact that he’s just not an ideal every-down back since he’s fairly narrow.. Miracle of midnight posting on that.

This wouldn’t surprise me. That seems like the most limited group of backers he’s had short of injuries since at least 2014. I don’t know that any of them are early draft picks right now.

The only one that has had any hype was Moses himself, and he's almost assuredly played himself into day 2 or 3 of the draft I would think. If you're an NFL coach you have to think you can fix his constant repeated mistakes.

Wil Anderson is going to be a loving stud though

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What’s everyone’s favorite part of the draft?

Mine is financially contributing to the nfl. Close second is the draft night trades.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Amy Pole Her posted:

What’s everyone’s favorite part of the draft?

Mine is financially contributing to the nfl. Close second is the draft night trades.

Turning it off after my team picks

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
This is the year Ross. San Diego will trade back up into the 1st to steal Alex Leatherwood in the 28-29 region

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Also that Georgia Pass rusher declared. He’s godly.

Anyone know him well? Id love to know where he fits in a 3-4 set - pure pass rushing OLB?

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 2, 2021

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Amy Pole Her posted:

This is the year Ross. San Diego will trade back up into the 1st to steal Alex Leatherwood in the 28-29 region

I'd love Slater around the 14-17 range personally.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Also that Georgia Pass rusher declared. He’s godly.

Anyone know him well? Id love to know where he fits in a 3-4 set - pure pass rushing OLB?

I think you've pretty well got it, he's going to be an obligate edge rusher for someone- probably a 3-4 or Pete Carroll defense.

He doesn't really have any real experience in college it looks like, I think that hurts him with some teams(Miami)

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The pass rushers look....deepish this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think you've pretty well got it, he's going to be an obligate edge rusher for someone- probably a 3-4 or Pete Carroll defense.

He doesn't really have any real experience in college it looks like, I think that hurts him with some teams(Miami)

They love athletic freaks though. Especially young ones. He’ll go too soon for miami. They’d give a top 2 for him i imagine. Bottom one maybe.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 2, 2021