Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

An insane mind posted:

So...what did Brexit mean in the end?

The friends we made along the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Brexit really was like a TV show that you watch the first couple seasons of then fall off when nothing happens.

Then you find out the series finale just aired, years later, and almost nobody cared.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jose posted:

The uk health secretary clearly.wants to boast about the numbers of people vaccinated so has decided to let everyone get the first dose and then wait 3 months for the second. Issue with this is Pfizer have said there is no testing to see if it works

Good news then, they're about to have a bunch of data to sift through in about three months.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
how do the lorry lineups look in Dover?

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

congrat's to everyone for brexiting, or whatever

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

And thus Brexit was delivered and the Gammons breathed a sigh of relief: Britania delanda est...they spake, their rictus grins in place as they stepped over their children to be first in line to the gruel bucket. "I wish I was 20 again so I could buccaneer more food out of my grandchildren's mouths."

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Reality Protester posted:

They expect the traffic to pick up Monday.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

An insane mind posted:

So...what did Brexit mean in the end?

In the end?

Nothing ever ends.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Reality Protester posted:

There aren't any. Of course it's a public holiday, and retailers had stockpiled for weeks beforehand so there's no immediate demand right now. Haulage companies are playing it safe as they don't want their fleets caught up in any delays. Drivers don't want to risk it as they get paid by the km rather than by the hour.

Meanwhile gammons are triumphant that the country has lasted almost a whole day outside the EU, and are using this as validation that nothing can possibly go wrong from now on.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
The poo poo will hit the fan at the same time this covid spike makes the entire NHS buckle, yay

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sullat posted:

Good news then, they're about to have a bunch of data to sift through in about three months.

https://twitter.com/dannyjnwong/status/1344956389148520448?s=19

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Woke Pob posted:

There aren't any. Of course it's a public holiday, and retailers had stockpiled for weeks beforehand so there's no immediate demand right now. Haulage companies are playing it safe as they don't want their fleets caught up in any delays. Drivers don't want to risk it as they get paid by the km rather than by the hour.

Meanwhile gammons are triumphant that the country has lasted almost a whole day outside the EU, and are using this as validation that nothing can possibly go wrong from now on.

I get the feeling there's going to be some serious DHL backlash in the very near future

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

crispix posted:

Northern Ireland has today become a freak de facto EU statelet and the path to unification seems inevitable now. It ought to be an enormous political embarrassment for the UK government and make any talk about having achieved national sovereignty risible but they really don't give that much of a toss about the place and also some people just have no shame. Northern Ireland's position in the union will be even more untenable if Scotland leaves - the former's cultural ties to unionism have always gone through Scotland.

my hoover bag order got cancelled and i had to dig all the dust and cat hair out of an old one yesterday in the cold and wet :manning:

Forgot to say earlier that sucks. I've run out of bags before and those things really don't want to be emptied and re-used. The town were I used to live had literally one store that sold hoover bags and invariably when I ran out they'd have every size and shape in stock except the ones that fit my cleaner.

They're like coffee filters. Something you'd expect to be really common and available everywhere but no bloody place sells them.

Thankfully I have a partner now who is sensible enough to ensure we don't run out of basic poo poo (and a bagless cleaner).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I'm just not a fan of the bagless hoover tbh :/

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I've mixed feelings. Not having to buy bags is an advantage, but there's no way to empty them into the kitchen bin without making a mess that needs hoovered up. They have to be emptied into the big bin outside. Our cheapo model also seems to need regular dismantling and washing otherwise it loses suction.

But now that we've left the EU we'll be free from draconian limits on vacuum cleaner wattage, with suction so powerful you'll be able hoover up a bendy banana and have it come out straight.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
we'll all be like Freddie there (lord rest his soul) in the i want to break free video with our very powerful hoovers all "hahahhahahaaaaa frig u Barnier!!!!!!!" :hehe:

just very smug hoovering

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

twoday posted:

Pretty much almost nothing has changed for the average Brit since 6 months ago, because most of the effects of Brexit have been delayed yet again until Jan 1, 2021.

:getin:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

crispix posted:

we'll all be like Freddie there (lord rest his soul) in the i want to break free video with our very powerful hoovers all "hahahhahahaaaaa frig u Barnier!!!!!!!" :hehe:

just very smug hoovering

Roger Taylor dressed as a schoolgirl in that vid elicited very confused feelings in young me when I watched my dad's VHS of all the greatest Queen videos.

Clyde Radcliffe has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Jan 1, 2021

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/MissRegardless/status/1344969206635393025?s=20

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Brexits coming home, it's coooooooming home, it's coooooooooooooming!

Also this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl1N_5wIokY&t=10s
But as Britain struts out of the EU club house like it just owned them.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

So apparently in a last-minute fudge Gibraltar joined Schengen, with Spain as the guarantor, and Brits have to go through passport control to access the area while Europeans can just walz on in :laffo: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/31/spain-and-uk-reach-draft-deal-on-post-brexit-status-of-gibraltar

barbecue at the folks has issued a correction as of 11:17 on Jan 2, 2021

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
Its amazing, how much we are owned

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the old adage of never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake

although tbf most brits don’t even know which extra bits scattered around the world outside of the mainland are “theirs “

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Jel Shaker posted:

the old adage of never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake

although tbf most brits don’t even know which extra bits scattered around the world outside of the mainland are “theirs “

it's basically all of it, right? that's why bojo says the sun never sets on the british empire?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1345309914546233350

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

redleader posted:

it's basically all of it, right? that's why bojo says the sun never sets on the british empire?

eagerly curious to see all that trading and dominating that's going to happen

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1345152869062864902?s=20

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I guess that's the plan for the new British Empire? Everyone in the world who thinks of Jolly ol' England pays a tax.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Now that trump is soon to be gone, Britain will become the world’s foremost exporter of lols

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

So I really don't understand any of this but does this pretty much mean no one is going to sell to them now.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

my loving god

I am lol-crack-pinging over this: I've always thought of the tories in general as a masterclass in political grifting, the natural consequence of an imperial elite finely honed to be efficient scumbags in robbing the world and their own country's working class to an astonishing degree of malice and tyrannical fuckery but never delusional to their own class position and conscience

now they quit the EU and after making their own trading position much weaker they change customs in order to make everybody pay a second-hand tax rule for the privilege of... trading with the UK?!?!?

loving lmaoooooooo

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

dead gay comedy forums posted:

my loving god

I am lol-crack-pinging over this: I've always thought of the tories in general as a masterclass in political grifting, the natural consequence of an imperial elite finely honed to be efficient scumbags in robbing the world and their own country's working class to an astonishing degree of malice and tyrannical fuckery but never delusional to their own class position and conscience

now they quit the EU and after making their own trading position much weaker they change customs in order to make everybody pay a second-hand tax rule for the privilege of... trading with the UK?!?!?

loving lmaoooooooo

They personally benefit from brexit by reducing UK worker standards, presumably landlord rules, and certainly anti-money-laundering rules. You can see this in action with the PPE grift for example. Makes perfect sense for them to architect and support brexit.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

my loving god

loving lmaoooooooo

HMRC is basically doing a scam to get some extra money off foreigners. it may be temporary while they figure out something longer term since nobody has done any planning for brexit and probably hasnt even really started yet.

having only well meaning rubes paying HRMC for the privilege of being taxed is basically the logical conclusion of what the tories have been up to with them.

they got cut really hard during austerity even though they generate revenue and its clearly because they also are meant to go after tax evaders and every tory MP (and a lot of others) is at minimum a tax avoider.
well, that and money laundering and half our economy is money laundering and if you investigate it you suicide yourself

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

:awesome:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Look they just really wanted to know if they could fit inside that sports bag/train station locker/noose okay

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I've always thought of the tories in general as a masterclass in political grifting, the natural consequence of an imperial elite finely honed to be efficient scumbags in robbing the world and their own country's working class to an astonishing degree of malice and tyrannical fuckery but never delusional to their own class position and conscience

lol tories aren't machiavelian geniuses, they were just sent to the right boarding schools. They dumb as poo poo.
but the english are a servile race who worship the arisotcracy so they keep electing them

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

has brexit happened yet

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

it took me 15 minutes of mental processing to actually beliebve this was real

i was like "no they couldn't be this.... its just not possible they could...."

and then i read thru the whole loving uk gov page to made sure i understood it and i can only conclude that no one can own themselves as hajrd as the british, no one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

that feeling of stunned disbelief wghen something is so phenomenally stupid that it shakes your worldview a little and you have to go through the stages of mentally processing like "there must be some angle, some grift, some clever or evil reason behind thjis" and slowly coming to the realization that the british really are just this loving stupid