Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Going to buy a boat and become a rum smuggler. That's what IDS meant right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

gonadic io posted:

Going to buy a boat and become a rum smuggler. That's what IDS meant right?

The English channel is the busiest shipping channel in the world.

I'm going to go for an army of stealth drones.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

limmy going gray is making me feel old :smith:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
He's a hard 46 :/

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

all the herbs in the shops were rotten or missing and i couldnt buy any celery, garlic or peppers

is this brexit? am i dying now?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BORIS

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Communist Thoughts posted:

all the herbs in the shops were rotten or missing and i couldnt buy any celery, garlic or peppers

eels are kinda the same shape as celery, so they should work as a substitute

for garlic, uh, an eel rolled into a ball and dusted with garlic powder?

for peppers, inflate the eel with a bicycle pump and paint red, yellow, or green according to need

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

dehumanise yourself and face to eels

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

whoa there foreigner, that sounds like spicy food. That's a little sus.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dustcat posted:

for peppers, inflate the eel with a bicycle pump and paint red, yellow, or green according to need

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dustcat posted:

Where are they gonna get garlic powder from? Or paint?

No international trade = no border queues. Boris is a genius.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

having to use passports to get into kent would also have been sufficient

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

so good:
https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1345157011986649088?s=20

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1316887009198141441?s=20

Called out back in october and some are just now finding out about this? lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmfao hell yes, captain

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

ive been thinking like "what are the unintended consequences of the tories terminal-galaxybrain VAT scheme" and i feel like you guys are going to just be completely unable to buy replacement components for certain cars and equipment like water heaters etc because the makers will just not ship to UK anymore and no one else will carry them lmao

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There will be adequate replacement parts

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I think it'll also be encouraging aggregate shippers. Aliexpress or amazon or etsy whoever would be happy to file the forms once for all the people who ship and sell through them. Just another cog in the neoliberal machine.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

ya but in the short term there will be some unexpected gaps that take some time to get filled lol

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

or lmao anything that people want in the uk thats a specialty part will cost 136 pounds to evade the vat collection scheme

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Lady Militant posted:

limmy going gray is making me feel old :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ckvZztsFnw

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Apparently the new VAT scheme is just a copy of the new EU VAT scheme coming into effect in June. Makes sense that it'd favor large corporations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

bird. posted:

ive been thinking like "what are the unintended consequences of the tories terminal-galaxybrain VAT scheme" and i feel like you guys are going to just be completely unable to buy replacement components for certain cars and equipment like water heaters etc because the makers will just not ship to UK anymore and no one else will carry them lmao

blitz spirit

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

bird. posted:

or lmao anything that people want in the uk thats a specialty part will cost 136 pounds to evade the vat collection scheme

Just 15 easy payments of 136 quid!

*Some assembly required.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol i went back to watch it. i only know limmy from watching him drive trucks on twitch so this is fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3bEh-PEk1g

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

oh hey brexit finally happened, time to bookmark this thread to see what fun occurs

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

braxit

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i do actually think that might be the plan/excuse.
it drives down trade so reduces the amount of work the government has to do
it is entirely on the supplier's side so the gov doesnt have to do any work
it probably brings in a bit to slightly offset the massive loss in trade

but, you ask, isnt there a very good chance this just fucks everyone off so much that it just creates more work in order for less money?

thats tomorrows problem idiot i gotta go on tv right now!!!

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jarf posted:

Brexits coming home, it's coooooooming home, it's coooooooooooooming!

Also this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl1N_5wIokY&t=10s
But as Britain struts out of the EU club house like it just owned them.

Not sure who stole from who, but that drunk shouty chant is also used by the most eurotrash of European dance acts, Scooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T41AwlLcqbI

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
skkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwttttttsssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance:

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
What were the alleged pros of Brexit.. Not having to support weaker countries in the EU? Less scary immigrants?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

lil poopendorfer posted:

What were the alleged pros of Brexit.. Not having to support weaker countries in the EU? Less scary immigrants?

getting rid of africans and muslims mostly

e: but really it was coz the whole british establishment had been using the EU as a scapegoat for everything bad for decades by that point.
the same government was then surprised that a majority of people thought it was a no brainer to leave

if you were a normie who beleives what they read in british papers then you'd have to be stupid to vote to remain, they just take our money, write loads of crazy regulations and we're better off without

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Jan 2, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

getting rid of africans and muslims mostly

e: but really it was coz the whole british establishment had been using the EU as a scapegoat for everything bad for decades by that point.
the same government was then surprised that a majority of people thought it was a no brainer to leave

if you were a normie who beleives what they read in british papers then you'd have to be stupid to vote to remain, they just take our money, write loads of crazy regulations and we're better off without
correct. dissolution of the EU would probably be a good thing in the same way a dissolution of the US constitution would be a good thing. It's an unaccountable neoliberal hell project designed to keep some people very rich and others very exploited and then use other things as wedges to hammer that home. now UK actually had a sweet gig with it having kept their own currency and being defacto finance middle-man, so it was really dumb. but UK has largely been using EU as the reason things suck, and they aren't exactly wrong, but the uk government is even worse as a neoliberal austerity faction than EU is. but it would be completely 100% understandable that large amount of people went "what am i getting out of this. everything year after year is getting shittier and yet we keep having migrants when even my life sucks????" it's the same way dying hellscapes in america where rural hospitals are all gone, services are gone, etc voting into power people who want to do even more austerity because it's so far gone that why not, lets get everyone else to experience what i experience and stick it to the libs. and also extremely snooty nose-upturned "well actually i'm a european" libs are extremely unlikeable so it's not a surprise that people would want to own them as well.

so yeah partly racism, partly own da libs, partly just seeing everything continue to get worse lets try something new this is exciting

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Xaris posted:

just seeing everything continue to get worse lets try something new this is exciting

this is why i'm pro anything different and chaotic

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, the UK had by far the best deal of everyone in the EU, and should it have wanted to, it could even have leveraged it's size, economy, and cultural position to be a third pole within the EU. Instead we had a 1.5 pole Germany + France thing, with the UK not paying attention to the EU and then complaining about having to follow all the rules it could have easily crafted to suit itself. The UK basically had the chance to co-lead a European empire, but decided nostalgia for the old one was better.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Apparently the new VAT scheme is just a copy of the new EU VAT scheme coming into effect in June. Makes sense that it'd favor large corporations.

I think the fee in question is unique to the UK, which is rather the problem.

It does have an exemption for "online marketplaces", at least in the sense that the "marketplace" is responsible.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
On one hand it's not like voting remain would make somebody in the intentionally crippled north not in an intentionally crippled economic area.

On the other hand, well, voting leave is going to make it worse.

The real reason for brexit is the new AML laws which resulted in millions and millions spent on astroturfed Facebook campaigns which pandered to the reasons other posters have mentioned too.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Brexit was to stop us having a land border with Iraq and Syria

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Hmm yes now who was supporting Turkey's bid to join the EU again?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-a7332651.html

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

redleader posted:

this is why i'm pro anything different and chaotic
unironically yes. it's pretty much same with trump. just seeing things get worse year after year while media/politicians lie to your face saying "well actually, everything is fine it's just _____'s fault and your own lack of hard work. have you considered learning 2 code?"

not really a surprise that after decades of just decline and seeing everything about your life just sliding downwards that when something 'new and different promising to change life' comes along that everyone just goes YEAH! no matter how utterly stupid/terrible and/or evil it is

I would somewhat be surprised if EU is even alive as we know it in a decade or two with climate change. entire countries are going to have unbearable wet bulb temps without AC, tens of millions in india ran out of water last year only saved at the last second monsoon and tons of farmland are no longer viable and it's only growing worse and closer to precipice of disaster (there's a big reason that tensions at kashmir are ramping up big time because it's going to vital for whoever controls it to survive), there's going to be huge water and food crises writ-large and hoping to find a more stable life. and yet people's lives already feel poo poo writ-large, they're only growing poorer and less opportunities and unhappy about that while still having yet more people coming. Just looking at what a meager 1-2 million afghan/syrian refugees did showing huge rise in right-wing nationalist parties taking power (albeit minority power) after years of austerity and decline, I''ll leave it up to reader to imagine what even 1% population migration from the regional area would do: does EU massively improve material conditions quickly in the next 5 years such that people are going to feel secure and unalienated with a stable foundation for life and therefore welcoming, or does the status quo continue and everyone splits off and goes children of men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Xaris posted:

correct. dissolution of the EU would probably be a good thing in the same way a dissolution of the US constitution would be a good thing.

Questionable. The EU's composed of member states and those member states are not better.

If they were we could just fix the EU instead of leaving it.