Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
True. I guess in any case not from a competent developer so as to not nerf anyone.

Wait XBSX has RT? Is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shaocaholica posted:

Does RT have any advantages in PvP? Like seeing people before they cross a corner or through a reflection? Physically correct scope glints?

I doubt it would be much of a factor but one thing ray-tracing allows games to do is display the actual path and trajectory of projectile reflections along surfaces instead of just having it be a point of light placed at the tip of your bullet.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
What's the goon opinion on watchdogs legion? I have put in a couple hours so far and can't tell if I'm liking it or not. Seems like one of those games where I've already seen everything I'll be doing for the best 30 hours.

Also, disappointing amount of pop-in for a series x game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's a Ubisoft game. It's video gaming gruel.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tensai posted:

What's the goon opinion on watchdogs legion? I have put in a couple hours so far and can't tell if I'm liking it or not. Seems like one of those games where I've already seen everything I'll be doing for the best 30 hours.

Also, disappointing amount of pop-in for a series x game

I wanted to like it but I couldn’t. I finished it but immediately forgot about it. The central conceit, the idea that you can play as anyone, removes any connection you might feel to your character because they’re all replaceable and their skills don’t distinguish them as much as one might hope. The the money can only be used to buy clothes which are pretty underwhelming to begin with, and the upgrade tree is small and can be completed early. Also sometimes it crashed my one s so hard the system just shut down. The underlying mechanics were great and I don’t think the story sucked, but I never felt connected to it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

American McGay posted:

This is why I hope the ubisoft+ to gamepass rumors are true. gently caress spending money on games that will be half price a month after their launch and are so derivative of each other, only the base conceit separates their ip, but they've been actively working to blur that divide as well. Only good things from them have been their smaller projects like Grow Home. steep and crew 1 were decent but got consumed by the AAA minded corpos which ruined crew2. Hopefully roller champions gradual launch is a sign of their rethinking the process.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Ubisoft sometimes accidentally makes something interesting like valiant hearts. When they aren't abusing their workers that is.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of Watch Dogs, Noah Caldwell just did an excellent analysis of the series. It's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaI1BgNTy8k

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 1, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Watch Dogs Legion is a game where you have to play as npcs but they all look and sound awful.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

How is there no way to buy any form of xbox from the one, to the one s, to the series s, to the series x

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Series S is in stock in places from what I’ve read

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Eat My Fuc posted:

How is there no way to buy any form of xbox from the one, to the one s, to the series s, to the series x

OneS/OneX I'd presume you'd just buy used on swappa or Craigslist or something for like $150 or whatever?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Eat My Fuc posted:

Depends, in Australia our big video game store franchise only advertises the Switch and PS4 on their site because there's nothing else available even to preorder.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Watch Dogs Legion is a game where you have to play as npcs but they all look and sound awful.

The voice acting is awful, especially when it’s combined with a randomly generated npcs face.

I played watchdogs for a couple of hours, but now I’ve got cyberpunk ( very similar hacking camera type interactions) I doubt I will go and play more. I was looking forward to trying the multiplayer but last I heard it was delayed with no release date.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

falz posted:

OneS/OneX I'd presume you'd just buy used on swappa or Craigslist or something for like $150 or whatever?

Actually they're still in high demand since they're out of production + XSX sold out + pandemic demand.

Dusty used One Xs are all actually selling for about $300 here on Local FB Marketplace.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

HELLS YESSSS

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
ubi's watch dogs house

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Someone please get a Series S into a portable size with built in screen, thanks in advance.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

bushisms.txt posted:

This is why I hope the ubisoft+ to gamepass rumors are true. gently caress spending money on games that will be half price a month after their launch and are so derivative of each other, only the base conceit separates their ip, but they've been actively working to blur that divide as well. Only good things from them have been their smaller projects like Grow Home. steep and crew 1 were decent but got consumed by the AAA minded corpos which ruined crew2. Hopefully roller champions gradual launch is a sign of their rethinking the process.

I haven't heard this rumor. Does Ubisoft+ even exist yet?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

I haven't heard this rumor. Does Ubisoft+ even exist yet?

Yep. Its PC only right now and can also be bought as part of Amazon's Luna. The issue here is there is a 0% chance new Ubi games would come to gamepass and Ubisoft doesn't have a lower old game tier like EA did so it would require some work to make happen is people's thinking.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

falz posted:

They’re ridiculously overpriced and only shipping none in stores. Series S also completely out of stock.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

It’s 2021 and a bunch of us are playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. It’s kind of cool that a game from 2012 runs fine on the Series X and we can all connect and play, some of us on Xbox Ones too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its frustrating to me that Assassins Creed Valhalla is significantly more broken than Cyberpunk 2077, yet got a free pass. There is a lot to be critical of with CP77, but my Valhalla save file is still forever broken due to two unskippable events triggering at once, canceling each other out and now the game cant be played other than starting over again.

I hate open world games after these two disasters.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Its frustrating to me that Assassins Creed Valhalla is significantly more broken than Cyberpunk 2077, yet got a free pass. There is a lot to be critical of with CP77, but my Valhalla save file is still forever broken due to two unskippable events triggering at once, canceling each other out and now the game cant be played other than starting over again.

Was really fun when Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword had a specific sequence of actions you could do that would similarly trap you, and since it was a Wii game patches didn't exist and Nintendo had to release a special free app on the Wii store that would fix impacted save files.

Also doesn't AC Valhalla have a bit of a save history in the cloud you can pull from?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

univbee posted:

Was really fun when Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword had a specific sequence of actions you could do that would similarly trap you, and since it was a Wii game patches didn't exist and Nintendo had to release a special free app on the Wii store that would fix impacted save files.

Also doesn't AC Valhalla have a bit of a save history in the cloud you can pull from?

Nope its auto save has me totally screwed as well.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I will never understand why people still buy Ubisoft games at launch and expect them to function correctly.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

I said come in! posted:

You don't have any hard saves from before this happening that are at least close by?

I still don't think that makes Valhalla more broken than a game that will corrupt your save if you craft too much.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Fanatic posted:

I will never understand why people still buy Ubisoft games at launch and expect them to function correctly.

I checked out of Ubisoft after the Far Cry 3 reveal demo had an amazing gameplay sequence that was nowhere to be found in the game which was significantly downgraded in every way.

I then saw the very impressive gameplay reveal for Far Cry 4 which looked amazing but held off thinking "That won't be in the game" and sure enough it wasn't. Somebody even compared the demo to the final product and not only was what made it into the final game a generation behind graphically, but they'd outright blocked off the rest with new geometry.

It's so disappointing and I wish they'd stop doing it. Rainbow Six Siege looked amazing as well and god drat did that get one hell of a major downgrade. It just ruins the desire to play it even more when you know what could have been to the point where it would have been better if they had showed nothing at all.

I wish that journalists would hound them with "How badly will this be downgraded?" questions after every single reveal and make a big fuss about it in reviews until Ubisoft got the message.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Has anyone tried cross play on the MCC yet? I hear you can play with people on Steam/Windows

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

What journalists, you mean the guys that ignored the years of abuse accusations and failed to do any proper followups or keep the heat on the company when that stuff finally hit the news?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Has anyone tried cross play on the MCC yet? I hear you can play with people on Steam/Windows

It works fine, most game lobbies you search for now will have both PC and Xbox players.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fanatic posted:

I'm just not buying open world games anymore. This genre is a poo poo show and due to just the nature of game development, they are really not able to be made without sacrificing an unacceptable amount of quality, and more importantly labor from the people who work on them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I said come in! posted:

I'm just not buying open world games anymore. This genre is a poo poo show and due to just the nature of game development, they are really not able to be made without sacrificing an unacceptable amount of quality, and more importantly labor from the people who work on them.

Open world games being a janky mess is normal. But Bethesda games, for all their faults, can usually be completed. I have no idea what ubisoft is doing.

The problem of downgrades from demo videos is awful, but easily avoided from a consumer perspective by just not watching any trailers or reading any articles or consuming any media at all ever for games that aren't released yet. Nothing good comes from following games in development. Nobody has ever made a more informed purchase because they watched a gameplay first reveal or teaser trailer.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've really enjoyed my time playing Ubisoft games, but I also don't play them every year. They're all so similar, and I treat them like a buffet where I just do what I want with them, and don't feel obligated to finish them.

Also, if you play them a year after they come out they're $5-10 so you don't have to feel guilty at all about just ditching when it loses your interest, and for me that's 10+ enjoyable hours into it anyway.

Edit: The most recent Asscreed I've played is Origins, and I thought it was pretty good and made it the whole way through. I'm probably going to play Immortals: Fenix Rising some time in 2021.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 2, 2021

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think Far Cry's last couple of setting and stories were bleh but I can't argue with the gameplay. Open world is whatever but if you're gonna do it you might as well just keep making better and better versions of Mercenaries 2.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
MGSV is probably what I'd call the most progressed along in the genre that I've played and its very sad that it will never get another iteration

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

MGSV is probably what I'd call the most progressed along in the genre that I've played and its very sad that it will never get another iteration

Botw and MgsV are two sides of the same coin, emergent gameplay based around an artificially crafted world. What a lot of developers haven't grasped is that real world topography isn't inherently gameplay compatible. Look at how botw is designed so that you're always afforded a vista with something interesting to head towards, compared to assassin's creed, where the natural hillsides and forests blend together, not just because of asset reuse for "realism/immersion" but because sightlines aren't what nature had in mind, so you'll sometimes just be looking at beautiful landscapes of nothing. The ugly death of mercenaries and eroded relevance of just cause probably didn't help. I need to try the ubi botw knock off because it looks like they did learn that lesson somewhat.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 2, 2021

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think Far Cry's last couple of setting and stories were bleh but I can't argue with the gameplay. Open world is whatever but if you're gonna do it you might as well just keep making better and better versions of Mercenaries 2.

FC5 took a bunch of lovely steps back from FC4, I think. Got a solid bedrock, though, and as much as I could complain about FC5 I'll probably be suckered into FC6 almost immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Did I wish on a monkey's paw for just the right amount of money to get a Series X but it not being in stock anywhere?