Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
The next update isn't quite ready yet, but here's a Christmas treat, brought to you by the expansion that broke me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmrMuwcpKkY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Temporal Ambassador

Ship’s log: Freighter Sojourner

Returning to Azure Base with a full cargo bay. Might even earn me enough credit to try for a more lucrative route - maybe even dilithium.

: Freighter Sojourner, requesting permission to dock at Tholian Base

: Permission granted. You are authorized for Docking Bay Three. You will direct your sensors away from Docking Bay One.

: Sojourner acknowledges.

--

: You the crew chief? I’m off the Sojourner, need to unload some tekasite.

: That’s me. Franklin Drake.

: Scott Malthis.

: Thank you, Captain. The Tholian Assembly appreciates your loyalty. So many ship captains threw away their lives needlessly in the days after they annexed this area of space.

: Tell me about it.

: I was born on a little colony world on the edge of Cardassian space. After the Federation fell to the Klingons, a lot of people moved out of the war zones to try to make new lives. It worked ... for a while.

: Uh-

: When the Bajorans discovered that wormhole and the Dominion invaded, no world, no matter how remote, was safe. I signed on to help fight the Dominion, for all the good that did. The Dominion swallowed the Bajorans whole and then joined up with the Breen and the Cardassians to destroy the Klingons and the Romulans. After that, it was just a matter of carving up the Alpha Quadrant. The Tholians got this piece of space in exchange for signing a non-aggression pact with the Dominion. It wasn't hard to see that the only way to survive was to sign on. Now I'm like you -- I work for the Tholians, and in exchange I get a cot, a couple of replicated meals and the chance to live for one more day.With a little luck, I'll get through tomorrow, too.

: ...You know that was a figure of speech, yeah?

: What was?

: ‘Tell me about it’. I didn’t expect you to actually, you know, tell me about your life.

: Oh.

: ...Yeah.

: So, anyway, it will take a few hours to offload your cargo. Feel free to grab a hot meal in the commissary. I know that comforts can be hard to come by in this sector.

: Tell me ab… I mean, yeah. I know. Thanks, Drake.

: You’re welcome.
I recommend the plomeek soup. It almost tastes like something.

: Nice guy. Super literal, though. Oh, hello there.

: Hello.

: So, I know this is going to sound like the lamest pick up line in the galaxy, but I could swear you look familiar.

: So do you. Have you been in any other work camps in this sector?

: Nope. Freighters, mostly. Scott Malthis.

: Rinna Khev. I've been here for about six weeks now, working in the cargo bays. I'm pretty good at fixing things, even the worn-out junk the Tholians give us.

: Yeah, these old asteroid bases are really falling apart. Well, nice meeting you, Rinna. Hope to see you next time I’m in this sector.

: You too, flyboy.

--

: Geez, this place is more of a hole than Wolf 359.

Note: There are more famous NPCs around this area, including Shon, D’Tan, Obisek, Garak (who is still voiced by a no-name actor playing the part of a Cardassian NPC who has since been written out of the game and replaced with Garak), and even Klingon War Criminal B’Vat. Slamek is also here, and it is still too bright for him.

There’s also T’Nae, the war crime-happy Starfleet Admiral whose actual crimes have now also been written out of the game. Most of the NPCs give you variants on ‘Don’t talk to me, the Tholians are watching’.

: Hey, I’ve heard of you. T’Nae, right? The terrorist?

: Yes. My name is T'nae and for many years I served in Starfleet. After the war was lost, I joined a resistance movement attempting to liberate the core worlds. We failed.

: What happened?

: We were able to keep the Klingons at bay, but not the Dominion and their allies. After the Breen destroyed Earth and the Dominion occupied Betazed, continued resistance was illogical. Against all reason, we continued our fight as our resistance cells fell one by one.

: Tough road to walk.

: Indeed.
You might say I was one of the fortunate ones. I survived. I would not agree.

: I’m sorry.

: Ah, she gets mopey like this sometimes. Don’t mind her war stories, myself.
I'm Va'Kel Shon, captain of the Belfast. I run freight for the Tholians -- basic supplies mostly, but once in a while they need me to pick up dilithium from the mines on Remus.

: Scott Malthis. I run the Sojourner.

: Good to meet you.
We're in dock here for a few days getting some repairs done. Cut too close to the Qo'noS blast zone on my last trip back and ran into some raiders. They won't trouble anyone again, but they fused half my power conduits and fried the deflector before I managed to take them out.

: Nice one. Wouldn’t mind flying a route like that myself, one day.

: I’ll keep that in mind, kid. And hey, if there's anything else you need, let me know.

: Will do.

: Humanoid Dietary Supplement 47.

: Haven't seen you around here before, Captain.

: I'm new here.

: I know. I asked around about you. And I don't know if I'm supposed to be telling you this, but I need your help.

: ...With what?

: You're not supposed to be here. None of us are. Not in this timeline, I mean.

: OK, I’m listening. Let’s start with who you are.

: Call me Castillo. Not a lot to tell I guess. I'm Lieutenant J.G. Richard Castillo, helm officer of the U.S.S. Enterprise-C and unwilling time traveler.

: ...Time traveler.

: That’s right, now keep up. I'm normally the helm officer, but I'm senior officer now that Captain Garrett and the rest of the senior staff are gone. I've got to do what the captain would want. Get us back to where we belong and finish what we set out to do

: And that is… what?

: I know this is hard to accept, but we're not supposed to be here. My ship, my crew -- we were supposed to do something important. We went through an anomaly, moved through time, and everything changed. We tried to go back, but... I guess the battle with the Klingons disrupted the anomaly. Instead of getting back where we belong, we ended up here with the Tholians running everything. I'd never even seen a Tholian before! You have to help us set things right. You have to help us get back to our ship!

: And who exactly is ‘us’?

: Me and my crew. There are a little over a hundred of us here, scattered throughout the work camp. We're about 65 years ahead of where we should be, according to my math. We were fighting the Romulans -- this was back in 2344, and the weapon's discharges caused a temporal rift. We passed through, and because we weren't at Narendra to do what we were supposed to do, the timeline changed.

: So, what - you broke the timeline and now everything is wrong?

: Pretty much.
We ended up in a timeline where the Federation and the Klingon Empire were at war, and the Federation was losing -- badly. We tried to go back, to set things right, but then the Klingons found us and the Enterprise-D and ... Oh hey! There's someone here with us from that timeline. Her name is Tasha. I'll take you to her. Maybe she can help explain this.

: I’ve got a better idea - how about you go gently caress yourself and leave me to my meal, and I don’t shove your head up any of your orifices?

: ...poo poo.

--

Later…

: This place isn't what it's supposed to be.

: You’re telling me. Wait, you are telling me. What do you mean? Who are you?

: My name is Nelan. I'm an El-Aurian. Some people would call me a wanderer. I go from place to place listening to the universe, to the people. And then I look at you, and this place, and I can't explain it, but ... It's wrong, all of it. You're not supposed to be here. None of us are.

: I think you might be right, friend.

: I can't see it clearly. I just know that something is wrong. That woman over there ... does she have a daughter? Someone named Sela? I know that's important, but there are a lot of other things ... I'm sorry. It's difficult to put into words. What I can tell you, is that if someone asks for your help, give it. That will set things right.

: Oh, god drat it. Fine.

: Uh, hi. I’m Scott Malthis. Your friend here seemed to think I should talk to you?

: Nice to see you again too, Scott.

: I'm from Starfleet, and if I'm right that's a name that should ring bells with you as well. In an alternate timeline from this one -- the correct one -- Starfleet is still alive and well and you're a Starfleet officer too.

: ...Huh.

: When the Enterprise-C moved ahead in time, it created an alternate timeline, one in which I was alive but shouldn't have been. I left with the Enterprise to set things right. We thought we were returning to the Narendra system in 2344 to defend the Klingon colony there from a Romulan attack. We ended up in this nebula in 2409. The Tholians caught us before we could try again and ... you can guess the rest.

: Only too well.

: We're going to try to restore the timeline, but to do so we need the Enterprise-C. It's still in the hangar here, and as soon as we get back to her we'll find the temporal rift and get back to where -- and when -- we're supposed to be. To do that, we need your help.

: ...OK. I’m in. What do you need me to do?

: Franklin Drake is already helping us. He managed to get an access key used to operate the systems in the hangar control room. We need you to get the code from Drake and use it to open the doors to the hangar control room. I'd go myself, but we've already been here a week. The Tholians know we're trying to get back to the ship -- they're watching us. But you're new -- they won't suspect you're involved. That's the idea, at least.
: OK, straightforward enough.

: Of course it's not as simple as getting the code and opening the door. The Tholians have guards on all critical areas. You'll need to slip past the guards and get into the maintenance tunnels. From there, it's a winding maze to the hangar control room, which can only be unlocked from the inside. Once you get in, you'll be able to open the doors. We'll be waiting there to help you free the Enterprise. Here, take this communicator. It's on a scrambled frequency the Tholians don't monitor, and it'll allow me to contact you while you're on the move. Maybe you can convince someone to cause a distraction. That might make slipping past the guards into the tunnels easier.

: OK, I’m on it. Wish me luck.

: There’s no such thing as luck. Just good training and hard work.

: Do you have a question?

: I do, actually. Do you have a key for me? Tasha Yar sent me.

: Take it. Here's a map, too -- you'll need it in the tunnels. I still don't know why I'm risking my neck for this. Don't expect any more help from me.

: I really don’t need any more...

: The Federation fell before I was born. I shouldn't even care, but ... there's something about Yar and Castillo. I know they believe they can make a difference. It makes me want to believe.

: ...exposition. You were doing it again.

: Doing what?

: Forget about it. See you around, Drake.

: Va’Kel Shon, just the man I was looking for. Listen, I’ve been talking to Tasha Yar and her pal with the weird hair. She talks a lot of poo poo, but I think there might actually be some truth to it.

: ...And?

: I want to help her. And I need your help to do it.

: I don't remember the Federation, or Starfleet. The war was almost over before I was born. This is the only life I know. One of servitude. Depravation. Loss.

: If this works, that won’t be your life anymore.

: I want something better. That freedom my parents and grandparents told me about. I want the Federation back. I'll help. Just tell me what you need.

: ...You wanna punch a Tholian?

: gently caress yes I do.

: This food isn't fit for dogs!

: That’s it, make them come down here.

: Don't pretend you can't hear me!

: Let's rumble.

: Don’t mind me, just gonna slip around the back here…

: Yar, it’s Malthis. I’m in.

: Well done. Those maintenance tunnels are a maze -- they make navigating the Jeffries tubes on the Enterprise look easy!

: I should be fine. Meet you in the control room.

: Yeah, about that.
We've hit a snag. There are Tholians in the control room. When they're in there, they pump in a Tholian-friendly atmosphere and raise the temperature. It will kill us if we try to enter.

: Lucky for us, the Tholians have been kind enough to leave some atmospheric control consoles in these tunnels. I’m on it.

: It’s not murder if they’re enslaving your species.

: Hm?

: Prrrr

: !

: Malthis? What’s wrong?

: I’ve found it.

: Found what?

: THE WISEST TRIBBLE. HE HAS APPEARED BEFORE ME.

: The what?

: TELL ME YOUR WISDOM, ELDER ONE.

: The tribble coos for a moment and then rolls gently toward you looking for food. You realize you're talking to a tribble. Maybe you've been in these access tunnels too long. Or maybe it's the gas fumes…

: I shall remember this meeting, always. I take my leave of you, O wisest of Tribbles.

: The tribble makes a pleased sound.

Accolade complete: The Wisest Tribble

: You brought T’Nae?

: She knows a lot about fighting Tholians. OK, it looks like the Enterprise-C's transporters are still online. We can beam the rest of the crew onto the ship before we leave. Everyone, let’s reset these systems and free our ship.

: Webs powered down.

: Tractor beams disabled.

: Primary power systems restored. The Enterprise is active.

: ...Castillo?

: Working on it!

: Yeah, take your time man. We’ll just wait.

: Docking clamps released! We’re free and clear.

: Let’s move.

: poo poo!

: I thought you deactivated all the security protocols…

: God drat it Richard!

: Shouldn’t take long.

: Do you want me to do that for you? I know a few things about force fields.

: I feel like I just missed a reference.

: Having trouble? You do know that we could have Tholians swarming us any minute, right?

: Work now, snark later.

: I thought we took care of everything. Starfleet Protocol 547c clearly states that..

: I don't think the Tholians have heard of Protocol 547c.

: Done! Let’s get moving, people.

Note: For the first and only time in Star Trek Online, you are now in command of an Enterprise. This was the first in-game appearance of the Ambassador Class, which is a solid cruiser when built for broadsiding with beam arrays and taking a beating.

: Captain, I'm detecting Tholian Mesh Weavers headed for our position.

: Weapons are armed.

: Take us in. We’ll need to clear the immediate area before we can escape.

: Acknowledged.

This mission is a pain in the arse at lower levels, as the Tholians used to scale really aggressively against the Enterprise-C. I don’t know if Malthis is just overpowered as gently caress now or it’s just a max level thing but in this run everything melted in under 30 seconds.

: Tholian Tarantula on sensors.

: That might be more than we can chew. Shields are at 56% and power is fluctuating.

Note: This is also the first in-game appearance of the Wells-class timeship, first seen in (god drat mother loving) Voyager. It fires a volley of chronometric torpedoes up the Tarantula's tailpipe. They did not render in my game.

: What the-

: A ship just appeared out of nowhere and destroyed that Tholian Tarantula. I've never seen a ship of that configuration before; or one with that kind of firepower.

: I think I… have?

: The way is clear and the temporal anomaly has been stabilized. Head for the anomaly, Enterprise! It will put you back where you need to be.

: Thanks for the save, Captain.

: That's my job. The details aren't important. Restoring the timeline is. Get moving! The Tholians are already starting to regroup.

:Where am I? What am I doing here?

: I'm sure by now you've realized by now that you are a part of a very different timeline. This one is an aberration that we are here to correct.

: I was on the Enterprise...

: It would be irresponsible of us to let you go back in time with the Enterprise-C and compromise that timeline as well. And besides, your older self would kill me.

: My who now?

: drat, the memory implant must have been disrupted by something. Short version, then: You’re a temporal agent, from the 29th century. We detected this rogue timestream recently and you were inserted to investigate the potential cause before we extracted you. As part of that process, we reset your memory to allow you to act naturally within the altered timestream. Instead, it looks like you managed to fix the entire discrepancy! The rogue timestream is re-integrating into the prime. Not bad.

: What the hell? You erased my memory??

: We couldn't allow you to influence Tasha Yar unduly. She's in for a hard life, and her daughter's in for a harder one. The risk of that daughter not being born was too great.

: Who in the hell approved my memory getting erased?

: You did. Welcome to the Time War, Agent Malthis.

: I need a drink.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Nice to see this back.

I was wondering why this particular mission was skipped over so long. (And I still can't tell.)

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

MightyPretenders posted:

Nice to see this back.

I was wondering why this particular mission was skipped over so long. (And I still can't tell.)

Saving the mission for this part of the LP was always the plan, but this is now where is sits in the campaign. It started as a weird stand-alone anniversary mission, but it’s now the gateway to quite a bit more.

This is also quite likely my last major contribution to the LP. Thanks to everybody who read and commented, and a huge thanks to Cythereal and Moon Slayer for their very kind input, feedback and actual work making things happen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

For a good span this mission was glitched to give the federation ship to klingons and romulans, who couldn't otherwise obtain it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain's log, USS Ataraxia

I am disappointed but not surprised that Daniels, not Starfleet Command, is the one to end our respite. While I still do not know what to make of the Malthis apparition before the Iconian incursion, such a thing can only bode ill for my desire to minimize my involvement with temporal affairs. That Daniels personally approved the ill-fated Denius III incursion with the Annorax does not inspire great faith in his judgment, far less his decision to anoint me a temporal agent. I have no appetite for time travel or temporal mechanics, but my actions in life have left me in a peculiar position. I understand the logic of how events have played out for all that where those events have brought me and my crew are highly illogical.

Such is the life of a Vulcan captain in Starfleet, even a Vulcan who happens to be half-Klingon.

Regular updates will resume this weekend.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Tunicate posted:

For a good span this mission was glitched to give the federation ship to klingons and romulans, who couldn't otherwise obtain it.

A trick Cryptic wouldn’t repeat until they accidentally made the new Luna class available for Klanks last month.

Incidentally since my last update I’ve watched all of Lower Decks and DO NOT SLEEP ON LOWER DECKS. Best Trek since DS9.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
So how does this mission start? Do you click an NPC and suddenly get flipped to commanding the freighter?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Loxbourne posted:

So how does this mission start? Do you click an NPC and suddenly get flipped to commanding the freighter?

There's a little intro where you fly around looking at anomalies, then suddenly *boom* you're in a freighter.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

sweet geek swag posted:

There's a little intro where you fly around looking at anomalies, then suddenly *boom* you're in a freighter.

There's also an outro where you pop back into reality and repeat the intro slightly, but everything goes right and you just...leave.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Another one. Nasty business.
Lie to me, commander.
This time storm is definitely not because of any of the persons of interest we've been tracking.
Accessing local-current databases now. Oh dear.
What?
Look.

Career Service Summary: T'Kara of Shi'kahr **FOR INTERNAL EVALUATION PURPOSES ONLY**

Species: Mixed (Klingon, Vulcan)
Current Assignment: USS Ataraxia, commanding officer

Previous Assignments:

USS Sisko (assistant systems officer)
USS Osceola (damage control officer)
USS Pathfinder (chief engineer)
USS Cipactli (commanding officer)
USS Quiberon Bay (commanding officer)

Decorations:

Cochrane Medal of Excellence (ref: Roanoke Nebula Incident)
Preantares Ribbon of Commendation, second class (ref: First Federation Crisis of 2407, first class awarded after Battle of NGC-447 in 2409)
Legion of Honor (ref: Battle of Donia)
Starfleet Decoration of Gallantry (ref: Battle of Vulcan [2409], cluster awarded after Joint Fluidic Space Incursion [Operation TIAMAT] of 2409)
Starfleet Silver Palm (ref: Reman Resistance, cluster awarded after [CLASSIFIED] in 2409)
Christopher Pike Medal of Valor (ref: New Link Incident, cluster awarded after Undine assault on Earth in 2409)
Starfleet Citation for Conspicuous Gallantry (ref: Preserver Archive)
Starfleet Extended Tour Ribbon (ref: New Romulus Joint Initiative, cluster awarded after Kobali Joint Initiative)
Star Cross (ref: Solanae Sphere Crisis)
Starfleet Medal of Honor (ref: Iconian War)

Known to be romantically involved with Lieutenant Commander [Provisional] Aoede Turan of the Risan Naval Militia, assigned as ship's counselor to USS Ataraxia.

Note: Starfleet Medical has expressed concern over potential Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in T'Kara, primarily as a result of the loss of the USS Quiberon Bay to the Undine at Earth in 2409. However, given her continued exemplary if unorthodox service in the Delta Quadrant and the Iconian War, Starfleet Command has elected to leave her in command for the foreseeable future.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 31, 2020

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Ataraxia is a wonderfully ironic name for T'Kara.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kw0134 posted:

Ataraxia is a wonderfully ironic name for T'Kara.

I certainly thought so. And yes, this is what that Federation ship vote was for.

A version of T'Kara from another timeline or universe who's a Starfleet captain is an idea Ferret and I have been kicking around for a long time, and I made a Fed clone of T'Kara to this end a while back. At the time, we were just talking about using her as a one-off joke around this time in the game's storyline, since in case it wasn't clear already, we're about to start a story arc all about time travel and based primarily on Star Trek: Enterprise. Yeah, the Temporal Cold War and Agent Daniels that most of the Trek fanbase hated were used as the basis for this story arc we're starting - this was the expansion where the TOS Federation starting sequence was introduced. But hey, it's not just T'Kara here in this new timeline.

Making T'Kara (and, spoiler alert, others) was surprisingly difficult, because I kept thinking they looked really off when the sliders were identical. Turns out the culprit is the lighting. Klingon environments and the outfit dressing room have comparatively dark, soft, red-tinged lighting. Federation environments and the outfit dressing room are, by comparison, painfully bright with harsh white lighting. One thing that keeps throwing me off every time I look at the game is that in Federation environments, T'Kara's skin tone looks much more pale than it does in Klingon lighting, going from looking very dusky-skinned to 'white girl who spends some time outside' even though the skin color in the character engine is the exact same shade. Aoede went from white blonde girl to drat near translucent.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
YOU FOUND THE ELDER TRIBBLE :D Did you find the dead guy too?

I confess to having a major crush on the Wells class ever since I saw the Voyager episode introducing it (VOY: Relativity). It's sleek and beautiful and I like the okudagrams too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I finally got caught up!

I must admit I'm not sure why the Klingons are so offended by the Kobali - don't they regard the body as basically meat after somebody dies? I get why the Federation (and of course everyone in the thread) would be so offended, but the Klingons seem like the least likely of the playable factions to get upset.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I finally got caught up!

I must admit I'm not sure why the Klingons are so offended by the Kobali - don't they regard the body as basically meat after somebody dies? I get why the Federation (and of course everyone in the thread) would be so offended, but the Klingons seem like the least likely of the playable factions to get upset.

My answer for how and why I wrote things? Klingons are not a monoculture and the beliefs of Worf or Martok or Gowron or what-have-you are not universal to all Klingons. Some Klingons would not get upset. Some would.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I finally got caught up!

Based on the voyager episode, Kobali resurrect the actual person, then isolate and psychologically torture them until they join the cult and give up all their former attachments. The kobali in the episode gives really hosed up domestic abuse vibes to me, too.

The thing in STO where they keep a bunch of civilians illegally imprisoned and deliberately deny them medical care in order to harvest their valuable corpses is also unspeakably evil.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cythereal posted:

My answer for how and why I wrote things? Klingons are not a monoculture and the beliefs of Worf or Martok or Gowron or what-have-you are not universal to all Klingons. Some Klingons would not get upset. Some would.

Tunicate posted:

Based on the voyager episode, Kobali resurrect the actual person, then isolate and psychologically torture them until they join the cult and give up all their former attachments. The kobali in the episode gives really hosed up domestic abuse vibes to me, too.

The thing in STO where they keep a bunch of civilians illegally imprisoned and deliberately deny them medical care in order to harvest their valuable corpses is also unspeakably evil.
Both very good points. I don't think I've actually seen the Kobali episode, from memory. Sure sounds like all they do is hosed up!

It is rather confusing why they decided to make them such a big player without at least considering the implications.

I'm kind of reminded of that episode of DS9 where Worf's brother, after their house gets officially struck down and becomes suicidal, gets his mind wiped and given a new identity, and that's seen as fine. Maybe some Klingons who feel like they got dishonoured might do a similar thing, only they actually die before getting a new identity.

That might be a good backstory for a Kobali BOff, I guess.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yea I kinda wish you could join the Kobali attackers instead.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

I finally got caught up!

Congrats on reading the whole thing!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Yea I kinda wish you could join the Kobali attackers instead.

The big issue with the Kobali for me is they’re not important enough of a species to be basing so much of a Voyager expansion on. But then... none of the species introduced by Voyager are worth writing about, frankly. They even made the Borg worse in a bunch of ways.

God I hate Voyager.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Core Contingency

So what's the word from the spooky guy we're not supposed to know about?
Set course for the Galorndon Core system. There's an incident with the Romulans in the 23rd century.
Interesting. Galorndon Core was at the very border of the Star Empire during that time. Just an automated outpost according to records.
You know the system, Tylos?
The Tal Shiar's used it as a testing ground for experimental technologies, since it's an uninhabitable wasteland.
Yeah, I heard the Republic looked at the planet as a new homeworld, but it's too radioactive.
Do we know the nature of the incident?
Daniels thinks a race called the Na'khul have brought the Star Empire a Doomsday Machine.
Oh Lord, another one?!
Interesting. I've been curious to see one up operational, the Voth have encountered records of these weapons before but never seen one themselves.
I believe Daniels chose us for this mission because we have experience with both time travel and destroying an operational Doomsday Machine. Distressing perhaps, but logical. Tylos, I want everything you can get access to about the Galorndon Core system from Starfleet and Romulan - of any variety - records. Elisa, Tila, I want what we know about Doomsday Machines, I doubt we'll be able to acquire harg'pengh torpedoes to deal with this one. Siqiniq, Daniels claims our post-Iconia refit included holographic projectors for this operation. Let's get to it, people.

Stellar coordinates are a match. Welcome to 2268.
Masking system online, we are now a T'liss class warbird.
And we have a full set of authentic Tal Shiar credentials. Good play, no one will question the Tal Shiar sniffing around and one of their warbirds not conforming to normal performance standards.
What would expectations be for Tal Shiar operatives in this time?
If the Na'khul really have brought the Star Empire a Doomsday Machine, it's inevitable the Tal Shiar would arrive for an inspection. Be pragmatic, captain. The Tal Shiar of this era are not the 'victory at any cost' corruption they've become by the 25th century. The long-term stability and security of the Star Empire are their concern, and they often acted as a check on the more aggressive impulses of the Imperial Navy.
Logical. We are here to ensure that this weapon performs as intended, and only as intended.
Now you're thinking like a Tal Shiar.
While I understand you meant that as a compliment under the circumstances, my immediate impulse is to feel ashamed.
Life in the Star Empire, my friend.

That isn't an automated outpost. Sensors show a population of around two thousand.
I've cross-referenced with Republic records. The settlement pattern matches the standard Star Empire seed colony system, for a planet intended for long-term development.
Class M planet, healthy biosphere, long-range scans suggest an ecology compatible with Romulan and Vulcan biochemistry.
And in our time, this planet is radioactive rubble the Romulans deny was ever inhabited.

Yup, that sure is a Doomsday Machine.
Operational, but inactive. Also two Na'khul ships, with shields up but weapons offline.
Focusing sensors on the Doomsday Machine. Wait, what-
Captain, the Na'khul are jamming us.
And hailing.

An inspection on the ground, then. Tylos, hail the Imperial military.

Data received, Morairi. How may we be of assistance?
We are here to inspect this new weapon and those who have provided it.
Of course. Sending transporter coordinates now, and I've alerted Commander Chulak. I'm sure the director will want to receive you personally.
Very well. Morairi out.
Daniels provided five personal holographic disguises as well.
Then away team to transporter room. Tylos, you know Tal Shiar operations. Siqiniq, we may need to crack Na'khul technology or the Doomsday Machine's. T'Vrell, Elisa, join us. Tila, keep systems on standby. Ideally we will accomplish our mission without violence.
And when have things ever gone the way they're supposed to?

Wow. These outfits are... something.
And the hair!
I miss the shoulder pads we wore in the 24th century. The Republic's uniforms may be more practical and less wasteful of fabric, but there's a certain something they're missing.
Let us hope no one notices that the disguises provided to the captain, Elisa, Siqiniq, and I are identical.
I'll mention this flaw in the plan to Daniels assuming we live. Ataraxia, any word on the Doomsday Machine?
Nothing substantial. Looks like the Na'khul towed it to this system and have accessed some kind of onboard computer system. Our electronic warfare suite can't tell us anything about how that thing is controlled without a deeper scan than the Na'khul will allow.
How many times have the Na'khul threatened to shoot you?
Four, plus the one time they threatened you. According to Romulan fleet communications we've been intercepting, their commander thinks this is all very normal Tal Shiar behavior and is assuring the Na'khul everything is under control.
Good. Keep us posted, commander.

This area is restricted. Step aside.
Nothing is restricted to the Tal Shiar, alien.
This facility is, until after the conference. Not even Commander Chulak is allowed entry.
I will discuss this with your superiors, lackey.

I still can't get over those helmets.
The entire Beta Quadrant had interesting fashion sense at this time in history.

Subcommander! This area is restricted, sir!
Not to me.
Oh! You're Tal Shiar! Sorry, sir! You may come and go freely.
More sensible. Well done, centurion.

(there's a TOS-style film grain effect throughout this mission and it's really severe in some places like this room)

Interesting. It looks like the Na'khul have figured out how to placate the Doomsday Machine.
Hmmm. There does appear to be some sort of AI onboard the Machine, which engages an attack protocol when it detects planets or ships. The Na'khul can interrupt the process, but not stop the protocol from re-engaging.
Nevertheless, more progress than anyone else to our knowledge has made in deciphering how Doomsday Machines function.
I've pinpointed the source of the Na'khul jamming transmission. That building they won't let us inside.
I'd like to check Commander Chulak's office before we join the conference.

Ataraxia to away team. Vhel'nathar agrees with your discovery of the Na'khul jamming signal. She thinks the Na'khul are managing to interrupt the Machine's AI processes but haven't figured out how to actually access or interface with the Machine's controlling processes.
Away team to Ataraxia, I'm reading the logs of the Romulan military commander now. The Na'khul appear to have made contact with the Star Empire's Senate first, and promised a weapon that could destroy the Federation. Commander Chulak, however, is skeptical of the Na'khul intentions and is aware that the Federation has encountered and destroyed a vessel similar to this one last year. The Senate agreed to dispatch a team of Tal Shiar observers to evaluate the situation.
That makes sense, Captain. The Imperial Navy knows the Na'khul are hoping to use the Star Empire for purposes of their own, and they couldn't authorize an alliance like this entirely on their own.
Logical. I believe it is time we spoke with Commander Chulak.

Commander Chulak.
Subcommander T'Kara. I've been expecting you.
I'm sure you have.
If the boasts of the Na'khul are accurate, this 'doomsday' machine could be the key to Romulan dominance of the entire quadrant.
Perhaps. If the machine can be controlled as the Na'khul claim.
They have prevented it from a rampage the likes of which the example the Federation encountered was set on.
Yet we do not believe the machine to be of Na'khul origin. Two separate quandaries of unknown origin, and we trust neither of them.
True. Some would argue that victory is worth the risk.
Valid, yet the question that weighs on the Tal Shiar's minds is whose victory that would be.
A question worth considering, I agree. Come, Subcommander. Let us see what these Na'khul have to say for themselves.

We thank Specialist Krog of Na'khul for joining us. We have concerns about the dangers involved with this weapon.
Dangers, and vulnerabilities. You promise that this 'doomsday' weapon is unstoppable, but the Federation has already encountered and destroyed one.

(it's Future Guy!)

Your reassurances are... lacking.
Agreed.
Would you be so confident if you were here, Envoy?

Soon, the Doomsday Machine will bring our foes to their knees!
Bold words, Envoy. We shall see.
It would seem a full demonstration is in order. See to it, Krog.

Very well. Show us what this beast of yours can do.
It would be my pleasure. As for you, interloper, have you enjoyed the show?
Empty boasts have never impressed me. If you know who I am, then you know I've destroyed one of these Doomsday Machines before.
Subcommander, Tal Shiar deceit does not surprise me but it does tire me. You could have lead with having destroyed one of these monsters before.
Tal Shiar? Hardly.

Ataraxia to away team. Any particular reason the Romulans are going into a frenzy up here?
The Na'khul knew who we were. We're going for the source of the Na'khul jamming, be ready to beam us and some Na'khul equipment up.
Captain, I think I know why this planet is uninhabitable in our time. The radiation on this planet in our era matches what I think is the Doomsday Machine's power source.
And so the Star Empire is going to cover up whatever happens here. I wish I was surprised.
Romulans.

This is concerning, Captain. I looked up who the Na'khul are while you worked on the Romulan systems. They're a minor power on the fringe of the galaxy and operated alongside the Klingon Defense Force during the Iconian War. This affair is not a logical course of action for them.
It's not logical for them now, relative to our present. T'Vrell, I believe Daniels has brought us into a war whose beginning we haven't even seen yet.
Next time I see him, I'm punching him.

I've never seen Na'khul technology before, but this is definitely a communications unit.
Call this a leap of logic, but I think someone on our ship will know what to do with this.
I think I can remove it from the Romulan technology and get it ready for beam-out.
Reinforcements inbound!

I feel kinda bad about this. 23rd century tech versus 25th.
Ataraxia to away team, wouldn't you know it one of Daniels' friends is integrating the Na'khul doohickey into our systems.
Confirmed, getting you out of there.
Doohickey?

Good news is, we can permanently shut down the Doomsday Machine.
Bad news is, we have to get really close to that thing to send our signal.
So... most of you fought one of these things before, right?
On the Cipactli, yeah.
Which was a tiny little Saladin class destroyer. Relax, the Ataraxia is a much bigger ship.

The Machine's coming about!

Commander Chulak to all ships! It's only a matter of time until that thing destroys the planet! All ships, destroy the Na'khul and the Doomsday Machine!
Are they firing at us?
No, sir!
Then tag the Romulans as friendly. We will destroy the Na'khul first, then deal with the Machine.

Sir, the Na'khul ship has lost propulsion and main power. They're...

(That's the Romulan commander talking)

(the Machine abruptly starts spinning backwards...)

Sir, the planet is...
Hail Commander Chulak.
Unidentified vessel, you helped us against the traitorous Na'khul today. For that, we will let you leave in peace.
Commander, the radiation from the Machine is going to quickly destroy Galorndon Core's biosphere. Would you like assistance with evacuation efforts?
We have ships enough for an emergency evacuation. For your concern, we will overlook that your ship appears similar to a Starfleet vessel.
Then we will not test your patience further. Jolan tru, Commander.
Jolan tru, stranger. Another day.
Take us home, people. And get me Daniels.

Sehlat poo poo. The radiation on Galorndon Core has always matched a Doomsday Machine's power core. But until three hours ago for me, no one in Starfleet had performed a detailed enough scan of an operational Doomsday Machine to know.
I understand your cynicism, captain.

What. Happened.
An... occupational hazard, I'm afraid. I'll be fine.
The Romulans will cover up that they had ever attempted to settle Galorndon Core, and I learned after we got back that Commander Chulak was secretly held responsible for the planet's destruction. He was disgraced and forcibly retired. That's what had always happened, in a battle you declined to tell us we would fight in the past.
It's the logic of the Temporal Cold War, unfortunately.
Then leave me and my ship out of this, Daniels.
I can't. Your actions at Iconia have made you a person of great interest to our conflict.
I don't believe you.
Of course you don't. You don't even believe yourself. Nor should you.
To be or not to be, the question of a limited mind. You have the potential to be more than that, T'Kara. I'll be in touch.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 3, 2021

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's a shame they're not in any of the screen shots, but one of my favourite things about this mission is there are some TOS-styled TNG Romulan ships flying around to give the Roms some more ship verity.

At the very least there is a D'deridex shaped ship in the style of the TOS warbird.

EDIT: Also, broken image:

quote:

(That's the Romulan commander talking)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Veotax posted:

EDIT: Also, broken image:

Looks fine on my browser. It's image, empty space, line about the Romulan commander being the speaker, empty space, and two screen shots. I was deliberately breaking it up to draw attention to my comment about the speaker.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/6vSH191.jpg is the broken one

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Whoops, taken care of. Thank you!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Veotax posted:

It's a shame they're not in any of the screen shots, but one of my favourite things about this mission is there are some TOS-styled TNG Romulan ships flying around to give the Roms some more ship verity.

At the very least there is a D'deridex shaped ship in the style of the TOS warbird.

Oooh, I'd love to see an image of this if anyone can scrounge one up.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Oooh, I'd love to see an image of this if anyone can scrounge one up.

It’s a Thrai class warbird:

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Thrai_Dreadnought_Warbird

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Neat, thank you.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
I always liked this episode for the sheer lengths it went to to look like a TV episode shot on location somewhere in the 70s. The film grain, the props, the 70's-rear end chandelier in the meeting room -- even the doors have doorknobs on them. Art department outdid themselves here, with the music/SFX guys in close second. That scene where the Doomsday Machine is firing has classic TOS-era DANGER TRUMPET flares.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Veotax posted:

Meet the Thrai Experimental Dreadnought Warbird - one of three ships released as TOS-themed versions of more modern heavy starships.

It’s not a bad ship, but as a lockbox gamble reward is massively overpriced in game. With five fire weapons and a hanger bay, it’s capable of a fair amount of damage but is hamstrung by not having enough seating for tactical bridge officers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dalris Othaine posted:

I always liked this episode for the sheer lengths it went to to look like a TV episode shot on location somewhere in the 70s. The film grain, the props, the 70's-rear end chandelier in the meeting room -- even the doors have doorknobs on them. Art department outdid themselves here, with the music/SFX guys in close second. That scene where the Doomsday Machine is firing has classic TOS-era DANGER TRUMPET flares.

This mission was part of the same expansion, Agents of Yesteryear, that added the TOS Federation starting sequence, and it shows.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The TOS missions are pretty fun visually, especially the old Gorn model.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Dalris Othaine posted:

Even the buildings are vintage mid-century Modernist glass towers that look like they were shot on location in downtown Palo Alto.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I critiqued my own writing extremely harshly while I was doing this thing and there are still bits I’d do better, but I’ll be damned if (Discovery S3 spoiler) I didn’t just watch a scene where Burnham sat Tilly down and explained how to find the captain chair’s clitoris.

CBS, you can hire Cyth, me and Moon Slayer to write season 4. It will have way more Klingons, lesbians, and jokes and zero whisper talking.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Personal log, T'Kara of Shi'kahr

I do not trust Daniels. I have no desire to be a temporal agent. This 'temporal cold war' is so abstract and beyond my knowledge of causality and the forces and factions involve that I consider the conflict meaningless.

What I desire is to be left alone by the course of the galaxy. I want to not matter.

History seems no more inclined to listen to me now than she has ever been.

I suppose that as always this misfortune and unhappiness is primarily my own fault. Lieutenant Commander Kim told me on the Sisko that we make our own luck, good and bad. I do not believe in luck as a concept, but the term does have merit as a general descriptor for events of cause unknown to us when they happen. He meant that advice to inspire me at the Roanoke Nebula, when the fate of the ship came down to the ship's operations officer and four panicky ensigns less than a month out of Starfleet Academy. I have since concluded that he misspoke. Luck cannot be broken down into good and bad things. They are two entangled particles, to establish what either means requires the abrogation of the other. My dress uniform laden with decorations speaks of great fortune in my career, both 'bad' fortune in that I found myself in such adverse circumstances, and 'good' fortune in that I prevailed over such adverse circumstances.

Vulcans of course do not believe in luck or fortune, good or bad. Then again, we did not believe time travel was possible for most of our history, either. C'Tell famously said that time travel has no place in rational theory and a logical universe. She was correct in that statement. The implication Vulcan society at large took from her observation was in error. I wonder what she would say now, if she were alive today. Perhaps simply she would scream in terror before turning a phaser on herself. I would not blame her judgment.

Elisa is no help. She is a good friend and a reliable sounding board on many subjects, but she believes in fate as a concept. She believes that we were chosen, for lack of a better word, to do what we have. Chosen perhaps only by ourselves and our characters. She sees certainty, fate, life in an unbroken line. Where she sees certainty, I see nothing of the sort.

Were we really always on Iconia, two hundred thousand years ago?

Were we always the Other?

What of Romulus, a battle with the Borg over a fallen world that happened yet did not?

What of Malthis, a man lost in time even more than I am?

Aoede would call this mood an existential crisis, and an occupational hazard of this line of work. Her advice has always been to not think about such things too hard, and she has no feelings about these events either way. I do not know whether to envy her or not. I am Vulcan and Klingon. Not having feelings was never an option.

As always, I press on.

End log.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Abort, Retry, Fail

Challenge for the Trekkies out there - see if you can identify how many different Trek episodes and movies this mission references. There's at least one for every Trek show that had aired at the time this mission was made.

Captain, is there a reason I woke up this morning to see a temporal drive had been refitted onto the Ataraxia overnight?
Daniels.
When are we going now?
The 27th century, Lirss system. Vorgon mercenaries are targeting a scientist named Kal Dano.
Is there a reason he's getting us to do this instead of the 27th century Starfleet?
None that he's telling me.
Why, oh why, did I agree to join Starfleet...

What do you want, Daniels?

Kal Dano is stationed here, at a Daystrom Institute research facility. The Vorgons may already have what they came for, a quantum phase inhibitor known as the Tox Uthat. Bring us into scanning range.
And who, pray tell, are the Vorgons?
A species from the Gamma Quadrant, on the far side of the Dominion from the Bajoran Wormhole. In most timelines the Federation doesn't make first contact with them until the late 25th century. After the Dominion destroyed their homeworld the Vorgons became a nomadic people, mostly peaceful. A few, however, have taken to selling their services to the highest bidders.

Scans are clear, captain. No signs of Kal Dano or the Tox Uthat on their ship.
They're at yellow alert, captain. Their shields are up and weapons are online. They're ready for trouble.
Kal Dano must still be on the planet.
Agreed. Captain T'Kara, I'll deal with things on the surface. I need you to stay up here and handle the Vorgon ship if necessary.
Make it fast, Daniels.
Really fast, they're targeting us!
Red alert, take that thing down.

That's a 27th century starship. We're taking a beating, captain.
So are they, Tila. Steady.

(a few Vorgon frigates also attack but I didn't get good shots of them)

Captain T'Kara, status of the Vorgon fleet?
The Ataraxia is a twenty-third century design refitted to twenty-fifth century standard. Those ships was built at least two hundred years later than the Ataraxia. What status do you expect?
That you have prevailed and the Vorgon ships have been disabled or destroyed.
At the cost of severe damage to my ship and the lives of many of my crew. This had better have been worth it, Daniels.
Don't worry about that. The temporal repair systems I had installed on your ship should erase all evidence there ever was a battle shortly, even to your crew.
Medical confirms, captain. It's like time is rewinding on a local level to pre-battle conditions down here.
Got a distraction before you say something we'll all regret.
The Vorgons are hailing.

My name is Ajur. Boratus and I pursue a researcher named Kal Dano, and have for some time. He has created a weapon of mass destruction, a very valuable weapon. The Tox Uthat, and its maker, will be ours. Our reinforcements are en route. You should not have interfered.
History will only repeat, Ajur.

(So the Vorgons are fairly unremarkable to fight, beyond that this alt has much worse gear than regular T'Kara, which is why she's been having more trouble. Their central gimmick is that every single Vorgon ship is a carrier, and all their strike craft have tractor beams to disable you and inflict a surprisingly high amount of kinetic damage. The visual design of the Vorgon ships were originally intended for the 31st century Starfleet ships in the game, but CBS felt they were too exotic and alien, so they got shifted to be the Vorgon ships instead.)

Sir, the Arbarel is hailing.
This is a temporary setback. Your interference will not keep us from Kal Dano and the Tox Uthat. History can be changed, as you will soon see.

I've got them, 2152. Unfortunately I can't ask Captain Archer to get involved with this one, so if you don't mind?
Oh God. Captain Archer of the NX-01.
I just looked up the Vorgons. They were foiled in the 24th century by one starship captain on shore leave, and noted to be time travelers.
I am getting a drink while the temporal drive spins up. Anyone else?

Reading the Enterprise, the Arbarel, a disabled Vulcan battleship, Suliban, Tholians...
My timeship and Kal Dano's body are on board the Enterprise, captain. We need to retrieve them, from outside the Enterprise's sensor range.
I found you in the database, Captain T'Kara. You have a history of meddling in affairs that do not concern you.
I also have a history of overcoming adverse tactical scenarios.
The history books say you use humor to mask your fear and unease.
The history books say you were a minor incident of no concern.

(I love the light box on this map, you rarely get dark space maps like this)

Captain! The Tholians have the time ship!

Hail them.

Tholian captain, we are not aligned with these intruders. It seems we have a common enemy, if you are willing.
Alliance proposal refused. They are anomalous. You are anomalous. You will all be purged.
I will never understand the Tholians. We're just trying to fix things.
Because we've been doing a wonderful job of keeping the timeline intact so far.

Ugh. When have they gone this time?
Tracking... they're on Earth, 2375.
2375? That's during the Dominion War. What are they doing there, then?
Also, this file about the Tox Uthat says Captain Picard destroyed it years before 2375.
Um. About that. Starfleet Command decided the Tox Uthat was too valuable to be destroyed, even on the word of an officer like Captain Picard. There's a vault underneath Starfleet Command in San Francisco where Starfleet keeps artifacts considered too dangerous to see the light of day, and the potential consequences of destroying them too severe.
Oh, for the love of...
I know, Captain. It should have stayed where you and Kal buried it on Risa.
Daniels, I've only been to Risa once, on shore leave with Aoede. I've never met Kal Dano or seen the Tox Uthat.
Oops. I guess that hasn't happened to you yet.
I think I'm going to engage the temporal drive now.

Picking up a Breen fleet on sensors! We've arrived during their attack on Earth!
The Vorgons are using the attack as a distraction to cover their incursion... We're part of the reinforcement fleet, then. Get us into transporter range.

Earth. This does not bring back good memories.
The Quiberon Bay was a good ship.
Zavra, Kolez, and R'Tiki were good friends.
Steady, people. We're in transporter range.Tila, Tylos, Nelen, stay on the ship, your species here would cause too many questions. Away team, be prepared for Breen strike teams.
I'm coming with you. This kind of persistence from the Vorgons is worrying. I've never heard of Vorgons being this stubborn about a job.
The Romulan Star Empire wasn't supposed to have a Doomsday Machine, either.

This area of Headquarters is listed as a long-term storage depot for maintenance supplies and paperwork.
We're coming up on one of the most secure vaults in Federation space. Don't worry, I've uploaded the access protocols and codes to your combadges.

Only the Tox Uthat matters. Nothing else. Nor are we alone in that pursuit, as you can see.
Ah, the redoubtable Captain T'Kara of Shi'kahr. I'll leave you to your hunt, Boratus.

Our enemy will do anything, kill anyone, that stands between them and what they want. You are far from the only one they've wounded. Join us, and you will have your revenge. I swear it.
Very well. I will follow you, Envoy. For Ajur. For vengeance.
Vengeance indeed.
(there's a flash of light)

(and a flash of light on Earth)

There are bigger things at stake than this, captain. It's need to know, and you don't.
Consider me skeptical that your logic is sound.
You're never going to convince him, girlfriend.
Girlfriend?!
Relax, it's a human expression. We went on one date at the Academy and decided it wouldn't work out.
Is this really the time?
There's no telling what's down here. Spread out and look for active consoles.

(note: all the rest of this is indeed from the game, I'm just breaking up how you find them)

Interesting, but not what we're looking for.
Earth religious artifact, portable container of unknown contents that's killed everyone who's tried to open it. Scans inconclusive.
Dog from the Mirror Universe, in stasis. Collar reads 'Porthos.'
Distress beacon and data core from the USS Kelvin, a Federation ship in an alternate universe.
Android duplication station and memory scanner from Exo III.
Kelvan 'distillation' weapon.
Holodeck memory module from USS Voyager, codename 'Doctor Chaotica.'
Genesis Device.
Agrathi memory implant.
Colonel Green's manifesto.
M5 computer.
Thought maker.
Remains of a Borg Queen recovered from the Enterprise-E.
Ktarian game device.
Red matter sample.
Khan Noonien Singh's unpublished autobiography.
Eymorg pain band.
Telepathic receiver array from 'shore leave planet.'
Gary Seven's computer.
Deactivated android from the planet Mudd.
Aceton assimilator trap.
The Stone of Gol.
Found it!

And the Breen fleet is destroyed. Starfleet Marines are starting to sweep the facility. Let's get out of here, captain.
With pleasure.
Until we meet again, I'm sure.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
They're keeping red matter... on Earth. The stuff that even a drop of can create planet-eating black holes, and they thought a warehouse on the surface of the Federation capital sounded like a swell place to store it and forget it. :cripes: I guess I should just be thankful that they aren't storing omega molecules down there too.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The vault contains references to literally everything, doesn't it? Including that truly awful episode of TNG where Wesley rescues the crew from video game addiction.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

isn't moriarty there too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tunicate posted:

isn't moriarty there too?

Not as far as I've seen, and I ran the final part of that mission about a dozen times since you only get three artifacts at a time. The holodeck module is Doctor Chaotica from Voyager.