Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

the reviewing a tv show is a popular genre of podcast, and there is enough star trek to make it viable for a long time, but yeah. I've always imagined CIPYD is just a thinly veiled celebrity-interview podcast. I've never listened to it, but i would guess it's like... get Lin Manuel Miranda on to talk about his dog for five minutes and then it's promoting the next run of hamilton, or whatever

i wonder if as a group we could name all the MaxFun shows without missing any?

Is Round Simpsons still a thing?
There was the Jonah one where he didn't say the name of the podcast in the advert at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tears In A Vial posted:

the reviewing a tv show is a popular genre of podcast, and there is enough star trek to make it viable for a long time, but yeah. I've always imagined CIPYD is just a thinly veiled celebrity-interview podcast. I've never listened to it, but i would guess it's like... get Lin Manuel Miranda on to talk about his dog for five minutes and then it's promoting the next run of hamilton, or whatever

i wonder if as a group we could name all the MaxFun shows without missing any?

Is Round Simpsons still a thing?
There was the Jonah one where he didn't say the name of the podcast in the advert at all.

I like listening to the really old episodes and then checking if the podcasts advertised still exist. Most of them do not. Wasn't there a fiction one about uh a lion that was a professor or something?

It also cracks me up whenever I hear one of their ads for Stack Soap, because that product is loong gone. Seems like most of us do find the little soap sliver annoying, but we just throw it away and waste $0.05 instead of buying expensive custom soaps to "solve" the problem.

There are also a couple episodes advertising a game called Haunts: The Manse Macabre which I had been interested in way back in the day because they wrote it using a new programming language I was working with (Go). They ran into a technical problem: Go lets you reference code in online repositories, so you'd say "import github.com/foo/bar" and then use the library named bar in your code. The problem is that if the owner of that repository ever changes the API, your program stops compiling. If the owner deletes the repository, your program stops compiling--and if there were no forks of that repository, your program is broken forever. There are ways to work around this (and Go now has tools for dealing with these problems) but it seems that the Haunts people took none of these steps and eventually had to say "Sorry, Kickstarter funders, but we cannot compile our game any more. Bye!"

Years-old podcast ads are a journey through a graveyard of hopes and dreams, basically.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Extreme Restraints however will never go out of style

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

What baffles me is how Max Fun keeps adding all these podcasts with razor thin premises that they keep around for years hosted by people I've never heard of. Like McElroy content I can understand because they joined up early and grew their franchise over a decade, but how does "I saw a dog today" or "talking about Star Trek" get approved as a pitch? Why are there like 6 or 7 shows talking about movies? I wonder if they only approve people they know, or if these are actually the best pitches they get.

I mean presumably they have metrics to determine whether a show is popular enough to keep around, they're not just basing their decisions on nothing. And at least in the case of Greatest Generation - I only just started listening to it, skipping between their earlier coverage of Next Generation and their newer coverage of Deep Space Nine, and by the DS9 days they're taking about how great the response has been to their multiple multi-state live show tours. Max Fun wouldn't be having them do that if they weren't selling enough tickets to justify it.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Greatest Gen didn't start on max fun. I remember listening to the episode where they got picked up and they had pitched it to a few networks, so I guess they had the metrics to back it up. One of them had a relatively successful cocktail podcast before, which can't have hurt.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

When you do a Max Fun pledge you say which shows you listen to and I'm sure the brothers have either said or implied that has a bearing on how much monetary support a show gets from the network. So the impact to the network of keeping less popular shows around might be minimal. I have to imagine a show that really isn't popular will usually fold altogether before the network has to kick it off.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, I was referring to opening pitches and how they get through. I don't know if they still do this, but Max Fun had a page where you could pitch your podcast, link to content you already had, etc. So unless someone already had a huge fan following, or they already knew people, I can't imagine someone went to their page and said "It's about petting people's dogs" and Jesse Thorn went "gently caress, that's brilliant!"

How's the content on Starburns Audio? I think a couple of former Max Fun shows went there, and the only other one I know from there is Harmontown.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I like listening to the really old episodes and then checking if the podcasts advertised still exist. Most of them do not. Wasn't there a fiction one about uh a lion that was a professor or something?

The Lion in Tweed was never on Maximum Fun, it’s just a podcast they were paid to talk about in the Moneyzone. I remember this because it was part of the Griffin Space Jam jingle.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

The lion in Tweed is a friend indeed

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
AND A LION IN TIME

IS A... FINE FELINE

BUT DON'T LET HIM DEVOUR YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
poo poo, gotta do another verse.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I have relistened to that so many times

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

https://youtu.be/4r1y4gQ261k

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

I can't imagine someone went to their page and said "It's about petting people's dogs" and Jesse Thorn went "gently caress, that's brilliant!"

It's Jesse Thorn, that sounds completely plausible.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That podcast seems like it started up at the tail end of the "doggo" phase of the internet so it's absolutely no surprise to me that it was greenlit

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sankis posted:

tail end

:imunfunny:

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
Travis produced the dog show from episode 1 and Lin was their first guest, which sounds like a joke dig about the show but is true

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

AzureFlame posted:

Travis produced the dog show from episode 1 and Lin was their first guest, which sounds like a joke dig about the show but is true

That's the most 2015 thing I've ever read

also i thought the show came out a couple years later. 2015 was the prime of the internet doggo time.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Podcasting is such a host-driven thing that you can probably make any show concept work if you've got enough personality to keep people listening.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Podcasting is such a host-driven thing that you can probably make any show concept work if you've got enough personality to keep people listening.

I heard about this show where a trio of non-experts try to give advice to random questions.

Sounds terrible.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Zero One posted:

I heard about this show where a trio of non-experts try to give advice to random questions.

Sounds terrible.

one of them is a sexpert tho

no documentation for it, but hey

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Party Boat posted:

When you do a Max Fun pledge you say which shows you listen to and I'm sure the brothers have either said or implied that has a bearing on how much monetary support a show gets from the network. So the impact to the network of keeping less popular shows around might be minimal. I have to imagine a show that really isn't popular will usually fold altogether before the network has to kick it off.

Yeah, the money you pledge gets directly divided between all the shows you say you listen to on the donation page, with small tithe off the top going to MaxFun itself.

The only show I know of that was "cancelled" by MaxFun directly rather than the hosts just deciding to stop doing it was Pop Rocket, which was comissioned by Jesse directly rather than being host-created, and MaxFun ended it basically for not having enough supporters. There was a minor blow-up about it because the hosts found out pretty abruptly that they were being shut down.

Laterite posted:

It's Jesse Thorn, that sounds completely plausible.

One of the Judge John Hodgman bonus content things a few years ago was a supercut of all the times Jesse reacted to pictures of cute dogs on the show and it was genuinely delightful to listen to.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

With a rock solid premise like "we talk about pop culture" I'm shocked it failed

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well you don’t listen to it for the premise, you llisten to it because you’re a fan of Guy Branam (?) and ???? ?????? and ????????? ???? and ????????????????.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Pop Rocket had solid chemistry for a while. I tapped out when it seemed like they just couldn't get everyone together to record for a stretch.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Throwing shade got cancelled because they weren’t willing to change the name

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

inferis posted:

Throwing shade got cancelled because they weren’t willing to change the name
That seems unlikely, are you making a joke or do you have a source? The most I can find is this surprisingly sassy post from Jesse on the Reddit indicating that there was at least some difference of opinion, and this one on Facebook indicating it was probably revenue-related.

Note that they did eventually change the name a couple months ago.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

kidcoelacanth posted:

With a rock solid premise like "we talk about pop culture" I'm shocked it failed
I can't wait to tell you what a heat rock is.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Buck Humpman is the best goddamn fake name I've ever heard.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

That's at least something.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

sticklefifer posted:

It's a rock you buy for reptiles to keep them warm. They're not great, however, as they only warm the part of the reptile in direct contact with the rock and the other parts of their body can get too cold, or the reptile can burn itself trying to stay warm. Heat lamps or undertank heating pads are generally a better idea.

I still don't know if the show was specifically about music or not, or whether it was about stuff you'd made or stuff someone else made that you like

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Balling out super is the best podcast and I don't give a poo poo about anime

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
^^^^^^
Balling out super is fun, although a lot of the time I don't really care about their opinion on whatever filler episode/fan video they're reviewing I'm just here to hear KRL talk about how weird edgy boys in highschool would present her with actual real knives the same way a sane suitor would gift jewellery.

I don't think the people subscribed to an annual thanksgiving paul blart review podcast get to dunk on others for listening to highly niche interest shows.

That reminds me is Justin's cereal podcast any good, should I be listening to that?

Thanks to recent discussion I've dipped back into Friendly Fire and its fast become my second favourite movie podcast. Good chemistry between the hosts, but ten eps in it's still jarring not to hear '...and The Long Winters for the use of our theme song It's a Departure from the album Putting the Days to Bed' appended after anyone says John Roderick's name.

Also thanks to whoever pointed out the hosed up episode ordering The Worst Idea of All Time has a while back. I've been listening in proper order thanks to you, am having a good time. Was pretty surprised to hear James Acaster as their first guest, he's on telly over here a lot nowadays.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

The cereal podcast is good background noise. I used to listen to it in the climbing gym in the before times because its interesting enough, but not so much it's distracting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love when you two post one after the other.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, I was referring to opening pitches and how they get through. I don't know if they still do this, but Max Fun had a page where you could pitch your podcast, link to content you already had, etc. So unless someone already had a huge fan following, or they already knew people, I can't imagine someone went to their page and said "It's about petting people's dogs" and Jesse Thorn went "gently caress, that's brilliant!"

How's the content on Starburns Audio? I think a couple of former Max Fun shows went there, and the only other one I know from there is Harmontown.

Apparently I listen to a few Starburns Audio podcasts without intentionally seeking out content on the network, so I guess I have to rank it fairly well. Harmontown, Sibling Rivalry, Mormon and the Meth Head, and a couple others I've heard here and there.

And hey, that's where Paula Poundstone landed after Max Fun, so ... they've got that going for them. I guess.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Mr Phillby posted:

Thanks to recent discussion I've dipped back into Friendly Fire and its fast become my second favourite movie podcast. Good chemistry between the hosts, but ten eps in it's still jarring not to hear '...and The Long Winters for the use of our theme song It's a Departure from the album Putting the Days to Bed' appended after anyone says John Roderick's name.

I really like friendly fire because they rarely have the same opinion about the film. Too many film podcasts are just two or three people agreeing about a movie, so it's nice to hear a show where the hosts can politely disagree.

Plus I enjoy how often John has to ask whether the film they are watching is actually a war film.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like most often it's Ben and Adam in agreement and John having the exact opposite opinion

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like most often it's Ben and Adam in agreement and John having the exact opposite opinion

It's true that John is more commonly the grump but sometimes Ben agrees with John because her wants to be sophisticated and Adam is like "gently caress that, needs more exploding dog poop"

Or Ben disagrees because he has too much sympathy for all the Nazis who got killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Oddly related, John Roderick decided to make himself one of Twitter's main characters today by telling a (likely made up/exaggerated) story of child abuse in an overly long tweet thread and passing it off as 'survival dad' humor.

https://twitter.com/johnroderick/status/1345508384011816960?s=19