Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I'm just sad I never managed to fully implement my plan of sending a semirandom line of text on every skill usage with my guy, Beat Generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just wanted to share my appreciation for Malroth's arc in Dragon Quest Builders 2, he's a really great character and I like the culmination of the Malroth Can't Build arc.

At the end of the game, After he is basically spat out by Demon Malroth, basically being discarded because he is weak and holding him back, he's no longer the Master of Destruction, that's the Demon now. He's just a normal guy. The main character gets mortally wounded and Malroth HAS to make something or he will die as no one else is around. so he gets the ingredients, walks to the workbench... and tries. And tries. Starts getting frustrated as it's still not working although a kind of aura does start to form because he's refusing to give up - then he remembers that the Builder always had a stupid grin on his face, and it starts to click. The aura is simply that part of him is starting to enjoy trying, even if he keeps failing. And then it finally hits him- it's an art, not a science. He's being too serious. So he lets himself get caught up in the fun, and finally succeeds.

It's a really satisfying moment.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred posted:

There's a prompt to pet dogs in the Last of us Part II:3:

Well....poo poo :(

Also, kudos to Naughty Dog for going that extra mile to hide the plot twist: In the trailer you suddenly meet Joel while sneaking past some Wolves, in the game it's actually Jesse you meet.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

It's a really satisfying moment.

It's so great. I also love that the high five is a vital character moment

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
omori is the latest in an exhaustively long line of indie games that uses fantastical events as allegory for something the character is going through in real life. the titular character is very clearly spending most of his time in an imagination-land populated by imaginary friends having imaginary adventures that are fun and happy-go-lucky until they suddenly ARE NOT :stare:

a lot of games mess this up by failing to properly integrate the "real" and "imaginary" components of the dual reality that the game portrays (spiritfarer's the most recent offender that i've played) but omori does something really clever with it that takes place about five or six hours in

the main character wakes up from the dreamland and is revealed to be a high-school agoraphobe who hasn't left his house in several years and is having some kind of mental episode because his family's house was just sold and his mother has cheerfully ditched him there to enjoy herself until the move, and the friends he has in the dreamland have all moved on and matured considerably. he's left in the empty house eating lovely microwaved food and trying to confront his fear of the dark with a steak knife he's picked up (his imaginary version using a knife as his main weapon as well)

the segment starts with him finally opening the door to greet one of his friends (who's appropriately shocked at him finally stepping outside) so they can spend time together. the next half hour or so is pretty mundane, with them walking around the neighborhood doing some shopping at a hobby store, though you do keep seeing NPC sprites from the dreamland that fade upon interaction. then you bump into another one of the MC's friends, the plucky girl of the group, except she's turned into a sneering nailbat-packing delinquent who torments anyone who can't get away from her gang in time. she antagonizes the pair and you get into a battle sequence like you would in the other half of the game. she hits like a freight train but the MC's friend has a skill that boosts his attack power, so you apply the buff, the MC attacks with the same animation and sound effect you'd get in any other battle, it does negligible damage...

...and the girl recoils in horror and the fight ends there, because this kid just pulled a steak knife and slashed her arm open in broad daylight

it was a great way to establish the extent of the MC's issues without burying it too deep in allegory or melodrama

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I finally got around to the complete version of Black Mesa (Xen included.) In the battle with the Gonarch, they added a (rather arduous and difficult to access) side path, which allows you to escape without doing the final phase of the fight and killing it. If you do this, there's an achievement, featuring a graphic of a stick figure representing Gordon, and the infamous testicle monster, sharing a high-five. It's so dumb and I love it. :allears:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

I finally got around to the complete version of Black Mesa (Xen included.) In the battle with the Gonarch, they added a (rather arduous and difficult to access) side path, which allows you to escape without doing the final phase of the fight and killing it. If you do this, there's an achievement, featuring a graphic of a stick figure representing Gordon, and the infamous testicle monster, sharing a high-five. It's so dumb and I love it. :allears:

What they managed to do with Xen was mindblowing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Oxxidation posted:

omori is the latest in an exhaustively long line of indie games that uses fantastical events as allegory for something the character is going through in real life. the titular character is very clearly spending most of his time in an imagination-land populated by imaginary friends having imaginary adventures that are fun and happy-go-lucky until they suddenly ARE NOT :stare:

I had not heard of omori before this post, but after reading this and looking it up on Steam I am sold on it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

StandardVC10 posted:

Oh man thanks for reminding me that this exists, I am absolutely in the mood to replay half life and it's 50 percent off on steam too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In the Wii port of Samba de Amigo the Space Channel 5 level has Ulala covering Deee-lite's Groove is in the Heart.

Lady Kier of Deee-lite sued Sega claiming that Ulala was based on her, lost as Sega proved she wasn't, and had to pay them $600k in legal costs. So it's kinda funny that this game - released a year after that court case wrapped up - has Ulala ACTUALLY doing her song. The Wii port was done by Gearbox, so there's also every chance this is Randy Pitchfork being a dick.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What they managed to do with Xen was mindblowing.

They could have done with trimming down the massive plumbing/cabling puzzle, but the rest was fantastic - the Vort village, the Vorts rebelling/getting mind controlled, the journey through the weird bio-factory. Absolutely owned.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

They could have done with trimming down the massive plumbing/cabling puzzle, but the rest was fantastic - the Vort village, the Vorts rebelling/getting mind controlled, the journey through the weird bio-factory. Absolutely owned.

The chase through the nest was excellent. Just top to bottom awesome.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Last of Us 2:
I'm really impressed by how the AI makes the npcs more human like. If you rustle grass you're hiding in they will spot you, but they can also run right past you because they think you're somewhere else.
There's a little ping when you have enough material to craft something.
Whenever a enemy is close the sound gets more intense.
The checkpoint system is really good and helps the game from getting frustrating because you will die a lot.
Seriously, the animations is just so loving good:

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Jan 2, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Coming back to Odyssey after Valhalla, all the sailing and ship customization stuff just feels so much more epic. It was alright in Valhalla, but it surprised me in how tiny it felt when you were out raiding around with your Viking squad.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Oxygen Not Included is an asteroid colony sim with a goofy cartoon art style wherein you give orders to the colonists to build the things that keep them alive. It has a morale mechanic where, as a colonist gets more skilled, their expectations for good the colony should look go up and failing to meet that expectation accumulates stress. This can be as crudely mechanical as just spending resources to slap down paintings and sculptures, but in my case I was still trying to get through the stay alive part of the game and did most of my electrical system in high capacity industrial cabling that's near impossible to overload. They hate seeing these things and no amount of carpeting or art can really make up for running one through a room.

So I overhauled the colony electrical system, figuring out where to place transformers and clever ways to hide the remaining industrial cabling. Since keeping certain systems powered was still critical to the whole stay alive part of the game, I wound up doing it piecewise and babysat the colonists as they did their work. My god, the sheer loving joy on an ever increasing number of their faces as they finally got rid of this awful looking electrical wiring that'd been running throughout the heart of the colony basically since it started.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I love that game, but I can't play it anymore. Never even made it to the Space part.
I can start up a game, and next thing I know, it's 6+ hours later. It completely and utterly engages my ADD riddled noggin.

Really should have just started a new colony, since most of my time spent was just a combo of trying to expand and putting out fires.

Accidentally unearthed a Natrual gas geyser that spread out heavily in my base before I could close it off. Spent a long time setting up gas pump and vent systems.

gently caress now I want to start up a new game

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Haha, the characters in The Last of Us 2 are extremely weirded out by the fact that humans used to decorate children's rooms with drawings of mushrooms.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Coming back to Odyssey after Valhalla, all the sailing and ship customization stuff just feels so much more epic. It was alright in Valhalla, but it surprised me in how tiny it felt when you were out raiding around with your Viking squad.

Where did you get that figurehead, I need it

Valhalla also didn't really get the whole "all systems tie together in a nice way" thing that Odyssey did beautifully. You do quests to get xp and gear, you sell or break down the gear to get material to upgrade your ship, you upgrade the ship to get better at the naval combat, you do naval combat to get more material, xp, and gear, so you can do harder quests and kill more cultists.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bony tony posted:

Where did you get that figurehead, I need it

It's the Skylla figurehead, I think it can randomly show up to buy but I had some random Sonybux sitting around and shamefully bought it as soon as I saw it in the DLC shop :blush:
I've seen a bunch of other cool ones cycle through in game, but I had to have that one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Haha, the characters in The Last of Us 2 are extremely weirded out by the fact that humans used to decorate children's rooms with drawings of mushrooms.

Everyone born pre-apocalypse seeing that: "Oh drat, that didn't age well."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*painstakingly jury-rigs setup to play salvaged Super Mario Bros cartridge* "What the gently caress"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

*painstakingly jury-rigs setup to play salvaged Super Mario Bros cartridge* "What the gently caress"

No need, just play it in emulation on your vita

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Same here! I think it also helps that ancient Greece feels so much more vibrant that medieval England. Although that could be because I was a big Greek mythology nerd growing up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It helps a lot that Kassandra is one of the most "Hell yeah, sure I'll go gently caress poo poo up" characters, I grew to like Eivor but that game felt weirdly subdued for being centered around Vikings conquering a decent chunk of the known world.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Immortals Fenyx Rising

Terrible name, terrific game. Just under 50 hours to platinum. Worth a buy at 30 euro, which was low enough for me despite Ubisoft being run by rear end-grabbers..

The best part of this game is Fenyx's moveset. Whether it's combat, puzzles, or traversal Fenyx is smooth to play. Press one button while running and you're immediately on a horse. You can break a fatal fall by pressing the glide-button.

There is level-scaling but thankfully only three tiers. Red guys get replaced by blue guys who are later replaced by purple guys. Mini-dungeons are all hand-placed and tell you before hand their difficulty on a one-to-three scale.

There are difficult puzzles that can be straight-up broken by your choice of upgrade. You can dash through lasers, effortlessly move a heavy block in the air, create your own weight, or use an upwards air-attack to gain altitude while gliding.

This Zelda clone lets you play as a woman because gently caress that tradition in Zelda. You can freely customise your appearance and voice without issue.

There's no weapon-durability so you're not restricted to just fighting humanoid dudes with sticks like in BOTW. You'll fight soldiers, heavies, rogues, harpies, gorgons, cyclopses, robots, chimeras, cerberuses etc. There isnt a ton of enemy-types but there is variety that can sustain this game's runtime.

It is possible to fulfill all the steps needed for a main quest or side quest before you're even asked. The main quest can be done in any order.

You can toggle not just combat difficulty but also individual puzzle difficulty. You know that challenge where you must guide a projectile through X rings in the one go? You can lower the difficulty so you'll keep progress between attempts.

There is ton of loot but it's all hand-placed. You technically have the one sword, axe, bow, helmet, and armour that you level up from 1 to 6. Changing a piece of equipment gives you a different perk without lowering your attack-power/defence. It's basically a non-poo poo version of the system in AC Valhalla.

Pretty much every treasure chest is worth it though it's not needed for trophies. It'll either hold a new piece of gear or the currency need to upgrade your gear/health/stamina/porions. You won't find a cool sword that breaks in ten hits.

You can freely transmog your look as gear-visuals and gear-perks can be decoupled.

The story is complete guff but you can skip most of it. One of the narrators is Adam Jensen so that's nice.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
So I finally have been playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild after everyone else on earth, and I gotta say, I'm a fan of the Soldier's Helmet.

Its a sallet style design, but the visor looks to be more an aesthetic, faux visor than one that actually comes down; its instead molded with a nasal guard and rounded for better vision. Its got the right kind of exaggeration for a video game design but its still a rather nice bit of storytelling in itself; its clearly an evolving design with intentional aesthetic holdovers, and a lot of ornate styling to fit with the idea of it being the armor from some golden era (the big loving crest being a nice touch) while still aiming to be a practical set of gear. Plus I like sallets. They're cool. I'd have wanted an actual visor but I guess heroes can't have visors due to contractual obligations.

The rest of the Soldier's Set kit is... eh.

It isn't as bad as other fantasy stuff but it does a lot of the same style of mistakes that other fake armor does; the faulds are too low, the tassets are to the side (and inexplicably the rear) instead of the front, and its kind of negligent in protecting some areas (tho I get why they didn't just slap chain in the armor gaps since it'd be visually kind of dull instead of having colored stuff in there). The gorget having that v-neck collar look is definitely the sort of pointless design flair that'd get you killed tho; you probably don't want a big hole right where your throat is. I'd have argued over the boots as well being really loving chunky looking but that's there to sell it to players as being The Most Well Armored Set In The Game as such so yeah. Its at least vaguely functional and more aimed at matching a specific period style armor instead of just being a slapdash set of overly ornate junk and the chunky look does give it a distinct silhouette and blah blah blah yes its okay. Aside from the tasset thing I can say the designers were thinking about actually making it look like an actual tool for battle with the needed flair to fit into a zelda game instead of an avenue to make the world's biggest, stupidest pauldrons so I can respect that. I'm a kind of a loving stickler about lovely looking fake arms in media so if I'm not spitting in absolute disgust and fury at a kit its probably okay.

Tiler Kiwi has a new favorite as of 10:25 on Jan 3, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It helps a lot that Kassandra is one of the most "Hell yeah, sure I'll go gently caress poo poo up" characters, I grew to like Eivor but that game felt weirdly subdued for being centered around Vikings conquering a decent chunk of the known world.

I did like that Eivor was unusually sensitive and reserved for a Norse warrior-poet, as that made playing them somewhat distinct from many other video game protagonists. It was certainly a unique decision to make a game all about conquering England from the perspective of a character who didn't really seem to have their heart in it. Kass by comparison was very easy to understand: She wants her drachmae, she wants to get the fam back together, she wants to gently caress.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

Kass by comparison was very easy to understand: She wants her drachmae, she wants to get the fam back together, she wants to gently caress.

And everyone treats her like a walking natural disaster for hire. I have very mixed feelings about Odyssey, but Kassandra is my favorite video game protagonist of the last ten years or so and one of my all time favorites (assuming you ignore the DLC that butchers her character because Ubisoft is run by misogynistic, homophobic shitheads).

There's even an optional dialogue exchange with Barnabas where Kassandra notes that as a woman she shouldn't have been allowed to watch the Olympics much less compete. Barnabas shrugs and says those rules don't apply to demigods.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

There's even an optional dialogue exchange with Barnabas where Kassandra notes that as a woman she shouldn't have been allowed to watch the Olympics much less compete. Barnabas shrugs and says those rules don't apply to demigods.

The guy who runs the Olympics makes it clear that he only cares about giving the audience a show, he even accepts Kassandra if she claims to be Testikles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's a family name.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Playing Daemon X Machina, and its got one of those mechanics where as you get new weapons they get added to displays around your base. The neat thing is that it isn't, well, neat. Sure there's weapon walls, but there's also a bunch of giant robot scale maces just leaning up against a wall, and big, boxy missile launchers are just kinda all over the place as an OSHA nightmare. Its great.

Also eating enough icecream lets you access a secret shop that builds basically Boss Soul weapons from the souls series.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I really want to like Fenyx Rising but it has very, very strong PS1 game energy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Somehow I never noticed the Ghost Arrow ability you can buy in AC Odyssey before, letting you just straight up shoot an overpowered arrow through obstacles. That's gotta be one of the most fun OP toys I've played with. The only thing holding it back is that it uses your ability meter, which doesn't recharge when you're not in combat, which technically you aren't when you're sitting around harassing confused enemies from outside their specific area :ninja:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

packetmantis posted:

I really want to like Fenyx Rising but it has very, very strong PS1 game energy.

You just sold a copy

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Ashsaber posted:

Playing Daemon X Machina, and its got one of those mechanics where as you get new weapons they get added to displays around your base. The neat thing is that it isn't, well, neat. Sure there's weapon walls, but there's also a bunch of giant robot scale maces just leaning up against a wall, and big, boxy missile launchers are just kinda all over the place as an OSHA nightmare. Its great.

Also eating enough icecream lets you access a secret shop that builds basically Boss Soul weapons from the souls series.

I love the sounds of that. I used to do that in Fallout New Vegas all the time. Bring my unique and weird weapons back to my motel room and try to display them. Like a flamethrower laid out on the bed or a unique plasma rifle on the desk.

For my personal little thing, I’m playing Dirt 4 and as a part of the HUD’s dash cluster, there’s an odometer. Depending on whether you’re driving your own vehicle or “renting” one from one of the teams, it will show the mileage on the vehicle. Owned vehicles have allow mileage but the team-owned vehicles have higher mileage. I rented a little Opel from the 70’s for one series that had at least 100000kms on it.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Der-Wreck posted:

I love the sounds of that. I used to do that in Fallout New Vegas all the time. Bring my unique and weird weapons back to my motel room and try to display them. Like a flamethrower laid out on the bed or a unique plasma rifle on the desk.

I really hope the next Elder Scrolls improves and expands on Skyrim/Fallout 4's loot display features. I love building my little museums full of the weird things I found. And I really want a treasure room full of loose gems that won't clip through the floor or kill me with physics damage if I Scrooge McDuck my way through them.

That sort of thing was what kept me going with Starbound for ages, even though the actual game part of it wasn't great. There was just so much stuff to collect, and I spent hours finding ways to display it all.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

packetmantis posted:

Something about it does make me think of Sypro or Maximo, I'll give you that.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Der-Wreck posted:

For my personal little thing, I’m playing Dirt 4 and as a part of the HUD’s dash cluster, there’s an odometer. Depending on whether you’re driving your own vehicle or “renting” one from one of the teams, it will show the mileage on the vehicle. Owned vehicles have allow mileage but the team-owned vehicles have higher mileage. I rented a little Opel from the 70’s for one series that had at least 100000kms on it.

There is/was a mod for FO:NV that gave you your own house out south of Vegas. There was an attached story to it that was terrible, but once you unlocked the house, you could ignore it. Anyway, the modder setup this huge armory in the basement, which weapon hooks for every single weapon in the game, both the base and unique weapons. Even better, all you had to do was drop items in a box, and it would auto-fill the wall. It also had a ammo storage room that would autostack bullet boxes on shelves. It was very satisfying to fill that entire wall. Did some digging and found a screenshot.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got Sackboy at launch with my PS5 and the first world was kinda meh. I got around to playing it again around Christmas and everything afterwards rapidly improves until it is a super great platformer overall, in the Mario 3D World kind of style but with a better difficulty curve.

My favorite little thing in it is that it has a set of levels that come up every so often that are set to some licensed song, where the entire level moves to the beat of the music and has other extra effects. There is one set to Britney Spears' Toxic that loving rules.

The game doesn't seem to have much conversation around it but it is absolutely worth getting, especially if you have a PS5 and are looking for another native PS5 game. Its pretty as hell on top of the actual gameplay being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been playing Rayman Legends and it has those same types of musical levels and they do own. The latest one I did was Mariachi version of Eye of the Tiger.