Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Plus I mean once your embodiment of female awesomeness spends 65 years pining over a dude she met that one time so she can inadvertently steal another man's body to put her memories of her dead boyfriend in him and screw him almost immediately... I dunno, man. That's not hosed up subtext, that's just "poo poo the movie did BUT WHY?!"

Even in the logic of magical hero movies this kind of makes no sense for the characters to just go along with. It's psychopathic for one thing. But also the films tell us she's aware of evil mind gently caress bullshit existing in her magic world, so she has to be an absolute idiot in the context of the film to just roll with it as long as she does.

It's weird that the movie simultaneously makes the point that many decades have passed and also has Diana behave as if the events of the first film happened a few weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

smug jeebus posted:

Yo, this blog is awesome thanks for posting it
Thanks. Please check out his piece on war elephants if you haven't already - it's a lovely example of the blog's twin sides of examining both pop culture and history combined, because besides spending a lot of time on the material details of how and why and when they did and didn't and maybe worked, it goes into fun detail on why they're almost always used as a symbol of 'foreign despotism.'

McCloud posted:

It is fascinating for the detail it goes into the Spartan life , but also a bit annoying that they're kind of misunderstanding the film. Like yeah, Spartan society is supremely hosed up and they abuse kids and indoctrinate them in a manner we'd compare to child soldiers, this is a big hint that the Spartans aren't really heroic figures.

It's pretty cool in depth look at one of the most fetishized people in right wing culture though
I feel that talking about this would be getting more thoroughly off-topic for the thread and I'm aware it's ALSO a topic that starts a lot of giant arguments, so if you'd like to take this train of discussion further please link me somewhere else and we can keep talking about it there.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

teagone posted:

It veers off hard sci-fi into horror slasher territory which is a reason a lot of people don't like the movie. I get it, and feel the jarring shift in tone is a valid criticism. I like it though. The revelation of what happened to Icarus 1 is a neat twist and Pinbacker is weird as gently caress and gross. His character's commentary on god and religion is something I found super interesting.

If that tone shift hadn't happened Sunshine was gearing up to be one of my favorite movies of all time.

I really wanted it to end with a meditative look on whether humanity deserved saving.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Lol if they'd cut the mall scene they would have a superhero movie sequel with literally no superhero action for like what, the first 70 minutes? The amazon race is just an exaggerated decathalon, and doesnt feature your main actress.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

ketchup vs catsup posted:

If that tone shift hadn't happened Sunshine was gearing up to be one of my favorite movies of all time.

I really wanted it to end with a meditative look on whether humanity deserved saving.

I mean, that's still what we got. It's like saying the tone shift in 2001 is out of place.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

VinylonUnderground posted:

I mean, that's still what we got. It's like saying the tone shift in 2001 is out of place.

I don't remember Sunshine that way, but I also think 2001 is a garbage tier movie.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

But it did, and said yes. Pinbaker is pretty meditative in his violent sabotage

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

That's honestly the best part of the DCAU version of Red Son, where Diana just decides "gently caress all of this and gently caress *you* too" and withdraws forever from the world of men when Soviet Superman decides to go HAM on the US.

Seriously, even the worst DCAU Wonder Woman movie (Bloodlines >.>) is better than the two live-action ones.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 2, 2021

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
trrehk

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

I don't remember Sunshine that way, but I also think 2001 is a garbage tier movie.

I don't see how you would like Sunshine at all if you don't like 2001.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Seriously, even the worst DCAU Wonder Woman movie (Bloodlines >.>) is better than the two live-action ones.

WW: Bloodlines is weird, but I like that they took inspiration from Eyes of the Gorgon for the big fight at the end. The 2009 animated Wonder Woman owns though. I really wish they went hard into the Greek myth aspect of Diana's character instead of doing this garbo 1984 period piece for her second live-action film.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jenkins was more interested in exploring the interesting mileu of the Wonder Woman TV series and Superman III than Greek myth or anything connecting to modern superhero movies.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Blood Boils posted:

But it did, and said yes. Pinbaker is pretty meditative in his violent sabotage

I think movie could have been more effective in its meditation without the violence.

EDIT:

my issues with 2001 can be said better by noted physicist Freeman Dyson:

Freeman Dyson posted:

After seeing Space Odyssey, I read Arthur Clarke's book. I found the book gripping and intellectually satisfying, full of the tension and clarity which the movie lacks. All the parts of the movie that are vague and unintelligible, especially the beginning and the end, become clear and convincing in the book.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 2, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think movie could have been more effective in its meditation without the violence.

I dunno there wouldn't be any conflict otherwise, the crew are all sensible utilitarians who know any sacrifice they make is worth it to achive their goal so there kind of needs to be an outside force to shake things up. Plus the 'five crew members' scene owns and I don't want to see a version of Sunshine where it doesn't launch into a horro thriller in the last act

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

What is the ‘meditation’ on extinguishing all known life in the universe? That’s some Thano nonsense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The second half of Sunshine doesn't quite land for me, but I could see exactly what they were trying to do. Pinbacker isn't a human being anymore, he's the personification of a tired Sun-God who just wants to sleep and let his children die. And Capa + the other scientists are his children coming to his palace to say "gently caress you, give me more life." This was made super on-the-nose in a cut scene where Pinbacker calls out to Capa as he's about to enter the bomb activation chamber and says something like "...and God told me to bring all his children to heaven," to which Capa tersely replies "I don't believe in God." Does it work? I think Pinbacker's kills are a little too goofy and slashery to really carry the imagery here. But I could totally see what Danny Boyle was going for.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Jenkins was more interested in exploring the interesting mileu of the Wonder Woman TV series and Superman III than Greek myth or anything connecting to modern superhero movies.
I mean I legitimately think that all sounds great especially when you throw in the obvious Batman Returns stuff there. And yet still a lovely movie.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
this movie is awful but i really really liked kristen wiig in it. shes "fun" and does a good job showing childish hurt and teenage angst. pedro carried a ton of water too. the rest is tepid sewage

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Drakyn posted:

Thanks. Please check out his piece on war elephants if you haven't already - it's a lovely example of the blog's twin sides of examining both pop culture and history combined, because besides spending a lot of time on the material details of how and why and when they did and didn't and maybe worked, it goes into fun detail on why they're almost always used as a symbol of 'foreign despotism.'

I feel that talking about this would be getting more thoroughly off-topic for the thread and I'm aware it's ALSO a topic that starts a lot of giant arguments, so if you'd like to take this train of discussion further please link me somewhere else and we can keep talking about it there.

You're probably right.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880957&pagenumber=285#lastpost

Welcome...to the Snyder dome

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
It would be a better movie if Barbra was the protagonist and Diana was just some random girl she had a crush on. You could have her join up with Lord, and then make the choice to sacrifice her new powers in order to stop him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

lmao they wanted to cut the two scenes in the movie where something actually happens?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Imagine keeping the gold armor in lol

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Thanks, threw it in over there. Apologies for the length, but that should clear this thread of us.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Imagine keeping the gold armor in lol

Dude, they have 2 million action figures of that armor already made! She needed a different costume or no one would have bought the same model again for this movie's release!

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

my issues with 2001 can be said better by noted physicist Freeman Dyson:

ACC is a hardcore child molester and, frankly, not a very good author. Kubrick, on the other hand, never hosed a kid and made a lot of really great movies.

I'm OK judging people who favor the mediocre child-molester over the awesome auteur.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Wait, Barbara was gay? I thought she was into Pedro Pascal?

Gay can also include bi, so Im just hoping people are saying that and didnt miss the "buying his crap" contrast the movie was making with them?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

ACC is a hardcore child molester and, frankly, not a very good author. Kubrick, on the other hand, never hosed a kid and made a lot of really great movies.

I'm OK judging people who favor the mediocre child-molester over the awesome auteur.

well this certainly took a turn into unexpected territory.

are you judging me for saying the movie doesn't make much sense narratively without the book because I'm supposed to know the book's author molested kids? I've seen a lotta Kubrick and he's great, I just think 2001 is a miss.

to me the movie doesn't make much sense without an explanation, which conveniently exists in book form. I understand movies as art, but when you're trying to tell a story, requiring the audience to read a novel to understand the movie is a bridge too far.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I feel like seeking meaning is the point. The book is just extra crap that no one needs. The narrative leaves more questions than answers, which is good since that's our job.

It's like complaining about the physics of reigniting the sun. If you are thinking about poo poo like that then what are you even doing watching this movie?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I dunno why we’re discussing one of my all time favorite movies (2001) in a thread about “Donald Trump but HANDSOME: the movie” but go ahead I’m all for it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Haven’t read the thread yet but just watched it and thought it was hilarious that Diana thought 1900s England was hideous but loved the excess of 1980s America.

:discourse:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Diana would join Reagan in congratulating Springsteen for his wonderfully patriotic “Born in the USA”, wouldn’t she?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

lmao they wanted to cut the two scenes in the movie where something actually happens?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sites are now reporting that its a box office success because it made 100 million overseas so far; in some cases the same sites that were saying Tenet was a bomb because it made 300 million overseas during an even further pandemic scare/height.

There's something suspicious about how the press has been rolling out with this movie; its like its actively avoiding negatives or something. Just like the fast tracked sequel reporting and such (and not really reporting the RT drop on release).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

Sites are now reporting that its a box office success because it made 100 million overseas so far; in some cases the same sites that were saying Tenet was a bomb because it made 300 million overseas during an even further pandemic scare/height.

There's something suspicious about how the press has been rolling out with this movie; its like its actively avoiding negatives or something. Just like the fast tracked sequel reporting and such (and not really reporting the RT drop on release).

WB also has that hush money.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Haven’t read the thread yet but just watched it and thought it was hilarious that Diana thought 1900s England was hideous but loved the excess of 1980s America.

:discourse:

Lol oh yeah, I dont even remember Diana having a point of view regarding her surroundings. She seemed to like it? I guess?

Wtf was the point of setting it in the 80s other than for the trailer?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Lol oh yeah, I dont even remember Diana having a point of view regarding her surroundings. She seemed to like it? I guess?

Cold War nukes and parachute pants, duh.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shageletic posted:

The vaporwave style promo shots?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

teagone posted:

Cold War nukes
Are people under the impression the nukes went away after the cold war? Like if this plot had been set in any other time period since the U.S. acquired nuclear weapons it's not hard to get to the launch scene when every aspect of the narrative is driven by a magical wishing rock.

The nuclear threat actually works against the the theme Jenkins was apparently trying to develop here, Diana renouncing Steve and learning not to cheat or whatever lacks any weight at all because the alternative is nuclear annihilation.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

I think the idea was using the excess of the era as a jumping off point for the wishing stone, people wanting more and all that. But it’s not like the excess of the 80’s ever went away. Though that’s still how pop culture sees things.

Plus then they could use the Cold War paranoia for the finale. Though I think that was a bad idea for a number of reasons.

But yeah, not using any 80’s music was a really dumb idea. I don’t know how you gently caress that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

teagone posted:

WB also has that hush money.

... what hush money?