Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The issue is the drone in cabin, especially at cruise speed, with any exhaust, which you cannot determine by hearing them in person unless you were riding along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Been looking at the AWE exhaust for my 16 GTI, are there any recommendations for or against it? I was thinking of the track exhaust but keep the stock downpipe in the hope it wouldn't be too loud.

I have a 2017 with a CTS Turbo downpipe and the AWE track exhaust. It's loud, and there's a fair bit of drone past 3k RPM. I personally enjoy it, but it's probably a bit ridiculous for a daily. I've heard that the track exhaust is meant to go with a stock downpipe, but I had a tune soooooo... noise here we come.

I'll see if I can find a video (or just make one) if you are interested.

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 2, 2021

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

thehouseplant posted:

I have a 2017 with a CTS Turbo downpipe and the AWE track exhaust. It's loud, and there's a fair bit of drone past 3k RPM. I personally enjoy it, but it's probably a bit ridiculous for a daily. I've heard that the track exhaust is meant to go with a stock downpipe, but I had a tune soooooo... noise here we come.

I'll see if I can find a video (or just make one) if you are interested.

That would be cool if you don't mind. I'm trying to figure out something that isn't louder than the rawtek downpipe w/resonator and banks exhaust my husband has in his tdi wagon. I would ask some locals, but with what's going on, I'd rather not hang out in a car with folks I don't need to right now.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

That would be cool if you don't mind. I'm trying to figure out something that isn't louder than the rawtek downpipe w/resonator and banks exhaust my husband has in his tdi wagon. I would ask some locals, but with what's going on, I'd rather not hang out in a car with folks I don't need to right now.

Here you go: SNIP

First one is a cold start up until it hits normal idle (~1min), and the second is an in-cabin (passenger seat) perspective through some rev ranges. Hopefully the quality of the second isn't too much of a dumpster fire (may have to crank it to HD on YouTube). It's worth mentioning that I wouldn't touch this setup with a 10-foot pole if I wasn't in a 6MT. The only reason it's tolerable is because I have more control over when I shift. If it was DSG, I'd have to live in manual mode and keep an eye on it.

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 3, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The 2017+ eGolfs are getting cheaper and I'm REALLY tempted.

Of course they are more available and cheaper now than when I was buying a year ago :argh:

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

thehouseplant posted:

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ie2CWSjryM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdfepCIxHbI

First one is a cold start up until it hits normal idle (~1min), and the second is an in-cabin (passenger seat) perspective through some rev ranges. Hopefully the quality of the second isn't too much of a dumpster fire (may have to crank it to HD on YouTube). It's worth mentioning that I wouldn't touch this setup with a 10-foot pole if I wasn't in a 6MT. The only reason it's tolerable is because I have more control over when I shift. If it was DSG, I'd have to live in manual mode and keep an eye on it.

Thanks. It does sound good, the mention of cabin noise is what kind of makes me concerned about getting the track edition if I do get an aftermarket downpipe eventually. I may just go with the touring and if the time comes that I install a downpipe, I could just buy the conversion kit from AWE and do that, even if it is a bit of extra cost later.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Thanks. It does sound good, the mention of cabin noise is what kind of makes me concerned about getting the track edition if I do get an aftermarket downpipe eventually. I may just go with the touring and if the time comes that I install a downpipe, I could just buy the conversion kit from AWE and do that, even if it is a bit of extra cost later.

Yeah, it's not unreasonable in the cabin unless you like to rev it. I tend to baby mine because it's still on a stock clutch. Even after the stage 2, it's not dead (yet). Anyway, it's fun, but as a daily it could get annoying. The only real cabin noise I get is on the way to shift at about 1800rpm for a split second, then again if I rev above that 2800-3000rpm range. I have no experience with the touring exhaust, but I've heard good things. The most annoying part is on a highway, because sometimes getting stuck in that situation where you downshift to 5th to keep it out of the ideal rev range can be a problem. If you don't mind, I'd say it's pretty much a non-issue. My other half wasn't a fan at first, but she's gotten over it :)

In general, I love the products AWE puts out and, if I ever upgrade to the RS3 I've been eye-balling, that will be my go-to.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Whoever invented the locking tab system that holds the cover panel over the turn signal bulbs on the Fiesta has earned my eternal scorn. That was a bitch and a half to get apart for something that contains a blinking halogen bulb where maintenance WILL be required.

That said, after getting it open the rest of the process took like 45 seconds and I think it turned out nice.

https://i.imgur.com/mJ6rX5B.mp4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0823KS485/ for anyone interested, and you'll also want to buy some bulb grease to waterproof it as the connector does not seal to the OEM harness in the same way a bulb would.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 3, 2021

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's neat. Looks like they also make a set for the Focus.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
do i need the pro version of the OBD Eleven tool to properly see the transmission temp while doing a DSG flush

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

angryrobots posted:

That's neat. Looks like they also make a set for the Focus.
Nice. Yeah, I was looking in to DIYing something like this but someone posted about these on /r/FiestaST and for the price I figured it was worth a shot. So far I'm impressed.

They're not as bright as I'd like but it's still better than the OEM bulb and the sequential effect makes them more eye-catching IMO.

Some reviews said the fitment wasn't great, I didn't notice any obvious issues but the lighting in my garage isn't amazing so I'll check it out again tomorrow in the daylight.

edit: Ok, yeah, it is pretty dim in the daylight.

https://i.imgur.com/0wREm9m.mp4

Fitment isn't perfect but I honestly don't know how close the OEM lens was so I don't really have a comparison point.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 4, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Anyone here seen an aftermarket HUD that was worth a drat? The BiL’s new Madza drives like a drat couch but it tricked out with the bells and whistles. I’m a pretty big fan of the HUD he has and it would be pretty cool to get one for the GTI.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Sequential indicators are better now, but I still see many of them as indicators that "lag".

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Sequential indicators are better now, but I still see many of them as indicators that "lag".

Imagine the murder that almost occurred when some redneck moron did this to me on Friday

3 years with only a tiny door ding and now this. God loving dammit.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Bummer. I had to do my read bumper a bit back and it was a bit of a process. Hopefully doing the hatch as well wouldn’t be too much worse. I’d assume they’d just slap on an entire new unit, but that’s just supposing.

Speaking of, anyone with a newer GTI deal with dribble after using the rear wiper? There was a leaking problem with the 15s from what I can tell, but this appears to be different. Thing just keeps dripping for a few minutes after operation.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
mine does it occasionally, cant really determine what causes it since i dont use the rear spray that often. might be temp related?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That was the impression folks appeared to have for the 15 era leaks. I’ll have to keep an eye on it.

One more, what would cause the turbo to be audible at some times and not others? Assuming radio’s off, air/AC off, etc etc for both. Could that be related to ambient temperature somehow? I want to say I can usually hear it pretty easily in the cabin during the summer but it comes and goes.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Warbird posted:

One more, what would cause the turbo to be audible at some times and not others? Assuming radio’s off, air/AC off, etc etc for both. Could that be related to ambient temperature somehow? I want to say I can usually hear it pretty easily in the cabin during the summer but it comes and goes.

You might just be driving it harder in the summer? I honestly never hear the turbo on my GTI unless Im at full throttle and even then its pretty quiet.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I never hear the turbo on my GTI either unless the window is open, the radio is off and I am close to full throttle.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Does the JB4 go on sale that often? Finally talked myself into buying one, but not sure if I should hold out for a sale or find one used or what.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think it goes on sale, I bought mine used and it worked fine. The only issue is you may not get direct support if you buy used which for me was fine since I stuck with one of the stock maps. I don't have it anymore since a mouse got under my hood and destroyed a bunch of wires, JB4 included, but it was great while I had it.

Edit: To be clear, there is a map 6 option you can use custom values on and if you give the JB4 owner your log from the JB4, he will help create a custom map. You can also get help on forums though.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 22, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

GabbiLB posted:

You might just be driving it harder in the summer? I honestly never hear the turbo on my GTI unless Im at full throttle and even then its pretty quiet.

Possibly, but this is also at low performance/speeds as well. I mean the venting was never super loud but it’s weird that it seems variable for some reason.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
maybe check for a leak or a loose hose? i could only barely hear my turbo when i put a freeflow air filter in and could not hear it stock

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

I don't think it goes on sale, I bought mine used and it worked fine. The only issue is you may not get direct support if you buy used which for me was fine since I stuck with one of the stock maps. I don't have it anymore since a mouse got under my hood and destroyed a bunch of wires, JB4 included, but it was great while I had it.

Edit: To be clear, there is a map 6 option you can use custom values on and if you give the JB4 owner your log from the JB4, he will help create a custom map. You can also get help on forums though.

Awesome, thanks. I think I could probably get away with a used unit with just the data cable as I doubt I'd bother with anything past the default maps on an otherwise stock vehicle.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

maybe check for a leak or a loose hose? i could only barely hear my turbo when i put a freeflow air filter in and could not hear it stock

Couldn’t hurt. I was thinking about putting a cool air intake or something dumb in now that it’s paid off so it would be a good excuse to do so.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Enos Cabell posted:

Awesome, thanks. I think I could probably get away with a used unit with just the data cable as I doubt I'd bother with anything past the default maps on an otherwise stock vehicle.
Yeah, I was on map2 and I thought it was awesome so I plan on replacing mine at some point, but debating whether or not to get a 2022 Golf R or not, so waiting on that decision.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Warbird posted:

Couldn’t hurt. I was thinking about putting a cool air intake or something dumb in now that it’s paid off so it would be a good excuse to do so.

You don't need a CAI for intake noise on the GTI, it'll make the car run like poo poo. Put a panel filter into the stock airbox and open the snorkel up where it is covered by the grille, there is some DIY on the MK7 forum. Also, the turbo muffler delete, if you want more noise.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

Yeah, I was on map2 and I thought it was awesome so I plan on replacing mine at some point, but debating whether or not to get a 2022 Golf R or not, so waiting on that decision.

gently caress it, stimulus bucks are burning a hole in my account, went ahead and ordered a new JB4!

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Warbird posted:

I dropped a CTS Turbo intake in mine and it's just enough sound at shifts north of 3500 RPM. Probably not a stupendous investment, but it's fun with a little bit of rice in an already goofy setup. Next car I get will be tame, so I went stupider with this one.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

Is yours DSG or MT? Worried about my clutch on map 2. Also looks like the closest 93oct pump is a 25min drive across town, which is a bummer.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Enos Cabell posted:

Is yours DSG or MT? Worried about my clutch on map 2. Also looks like the closest 93oct pump is a 25min drive across town, which is a bummer.
Mine is a DSG and I used 92 Octane, you may be able to get away with 91 as well and map 2 as long as you log it and have someone look which is what I did.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rusty posted:

Mine is a DSG and I used 92 Octane, you may be able to get away with 91 as well and map 2 as long as you log it and have someone look which is what I did.

Right on, it's supposed to show up tomorrow and I've still got 3/4 tank of 91 anyway so I'll have plenty of time to play around and run some logs before the next refuel.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bleh, got the JB4 on this afternoon and now it's stuck in limp mode, no boost, and EPC and check engine lights are stuck on.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Enos Cabell posted:

Bleh, got the JB4 on this afternoon and now it's stuck in limp mode, no boost, and EPC and check engine lights are stuck on.

From a tune box? What the hell? What car is this again? If a VW I hope you just popped a coil pack, that's a $20 DIY fix.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Sorry to hear about your JB4, could just be a loose cable or something. I know one of them may seem like it is connected, but may not have a full connection.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think it's probably a bad or loose connection somewhere, just hoping I didn't gently caress up the plug on the bottom of the engine somehow because that one was a bitch and a half to get off. Working with George@BMS to hopefully figure it out.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well this is just lovely, was reconnecting the pain in the rear end connector underneath the engine and managed to shatter the housing on the factory wire. Pulled the JB4 and taped it back up, and car starts ok now but still EPC and check engine lights, and no boost while driving. Winner is me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I remember that one being a bitch and a half to get disconnected. What codes is it throwing?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Getting codes 431A and 66FB right now, haven't pulled any codes since taking out the jb4 I've gotta dig for my obd reader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Man that sucks. Glad I went APR, the whole backpack process just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.