Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Episode 2:

buddy road trip and sympathetic Kreese backstory are so money

This fuckin owns so hard so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TheBuilder posted:

Where they not just completely doing fake outs with every blonde woman shown from behind before Ally actually showed?

I liked this season, but the production gap is going to be jarring. Also, when the hell would it air - December 2022?

They can probably get season 4 out by winter of next year. The writers have been working on it. Lol that everyone is going to age an extra year because the gap from filming s3 and 4.

Next season they should throw a large bag of money at Hillary Swank to show up as a dojo sensei coaching a student in the tournament

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 2, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There is no reason this show should be so good. I'm embarrassed for everything else on tv right now.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Not enough Abuela this season, she was my favorite side character.

Season is fantastic, and keeps with the whole theme even for Kreese that there are no bad students, only teachers.

:lol: at Samantha Daniel's wife? going from you're both idiots with your karate nonsense, let's call the cops duh! Only to have it blow up in her face so the karate nonsense can proceed unimpeded.

Also Dmitri becoming a limited-range chick magnet.

Chozen was great :hai:

One of my favorite sources of laughs is Johnny's self-imposed ignorance towards technology. His google search was loving gold.

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 2, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Episode 5: Holy poo poo the kid playing Daniel's son dropped like 50 lbs and shot up like half a foot or more

This show somehow keeps getting better
this is like some anime training montage, its loving amazing

pentyne fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 2, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm starting to get the impression that the karate obsession is in fact bad for the valley

season was great

the two young kids with the glasses are hilarious together

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 2, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Outstanding season 3. I genuinely can't believe how good they keep managing to be.

This is like a masterclass in managing to bring back a decades old IP and still tell a great story with returning original cast.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Quite honestly, the main issue i have with the writing is with how uneven they are in “the effects of violence on the body and the mind.”

Dmitri gets his arm snapped, and it’s a huge thing, but he just walks it off and has no lasting trauma. Sam has PTSD from her fight with Tori. But the little blond glasses kid gets thrown bodily through a residential window and his response is to be sarcastically annoyed. The other little kid gets the absolute poo poo kicked out of him, and still bikes across LA to tell the gang, and again, is annoyed. Miguel should be right back in hospital after the fight at the end.

Also, Hawk gets forgiven instantly. One face turn and he’s completely forgiven and all is forgotten. I feel like maybe it would have felt more natural if after he snapped the arm, after the others ran, he dropped beside Dmitri and apologized, like Bobby in KK1 after the knee shot. They were building up Hawk’s misgivings about Kreese, sure, but this would have given Dmitri a basis to be better disposed toward him.

Still, all nitpicking. Season rocked (RAWK!)

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 2, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah Dimitri was incredibly chill about having his arm broken.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I mean, to be fair him getting his arm broken was the final step to him hooking up with Yasmin, so deep down he's probably happy it happened

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Phenotype posted:

e5: There's just no coming back for Hawk, is there? He's got such a great character arc as the bullied kid turning into a bully himself, but I was hoping he'd eventually chill out and learn a little humility and bury the hatchet with Dimitri. But man, sure doesn't look like that's gonna happen now. :ohdear:

:unsmith:

Great season all the way through. I think they actually tried to pack a little too much into ten episodes, felt like Robby just kinda got forgotten about for a handful of episodes in the middle, but I was still pretty happy about where his arc took him. And Kreese is leaning into the 80s movie villain cliches hilariously hard. "Now you must defeat my strongest fighter -- YOUR OWN SON!" Also pretty satisfied with the guest stars this season -- they used Kimiko and Elizabeth Shue just enough to make them fun cameos without it feeling like they were cramming them into the plot.

I think my favorite bit was when Johnny finally realized he was meant to be a sensei to these kids, and writes out this nice message to Allie over Facebook about who he is... and then deletes the whole thing in favor of "not much, u?" I couldn't stop laughing for a solid minute or two.

Oh, and Dimitri is a lot less punchable this season! I've been sorta-kinda in Hawk's corner while the two of them have been feuding, not because Hawk isn't obviously the bad guy, but because Dimitri was such a ridiculous bully magnet that I wanted to give him a wedgie myself. Glad to see they're finally letting him have some range beyond "ubernerd".

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 2, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

pentyne posted:

Outstanding season 3. I genuinely can't believe how good they keep managing to be.

This is like a masterclass in managing to bring back a decades old IP and still tell a great story with returning original cast.

I wish this series had come out a few years earlier so Disney could have taken some notes when they were deciding how to handle Star Wars.

Like seriously, as everyone else is saying there is no reason this show should have been anything other than “fun, campy, but dumb and stupid” and only lasted like a season. Somehow it manages to blend 1980s nostalgia, the cheesiest of decades, masterfully. I can’t wait for more.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I lol’d at the cut in episode 2 from the landlord’s finger in the cigar cutter to the hot dog.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TheCenturion posted:

Quite honestly, the main issue i have with the writing is with how uneven they are in “the effects of violence on the body and the mind.”

My main issue is the tonal whiplash. The first season was far more in line with the small, grounded story of the 1st movie. Seasons 2 and 3 try to keep that while also leaning hard into over the top goofy cheese of Fantasy California Karate World, and now it's hard to tell when the show is taking itself seriously. It's like they're trying to hit the funny/serious balance of Scrubs, except all of JD's imaginary cutaway gags are real and presented with a straight face. It's hard to buy emotional character moments when Cobra Kai breaks into people's houses and assaults them with weapons, and the actual solution everyone's on board with is "Let's settle this... with A KARATE TOURNAMENT!" If that was a plot with season 1's tone, the next season would be 100% courtroom drama. But where season 1 had a quick gag about ditching Miyagi's mystical healing massage in favor of a medic, the current tone might as well have Daniel teach it to all his students as a legit magic healing power. I'd be all for that kind of stupid, except that the show so often acts like it's not that kind of stupid.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How is this show as good as it is? I ashtrays go into every season thinking it's gonna a go off the rails, then it does but in an amazing way.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
My favourite part was of course the power of Dee Snider curing Miguel’s inability to walk

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

How is this show as good as it is? I ashtrays go into every season thinking it's gonna a go off the rails, then it does but in an amazing way.

Right? This is a show that in its opening dialogue has the phrase 'karate riots' and I just nod along.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Honestly I find the show works a lot better if I just imagine it's some sort of alt universe where police are mostly irrelevant and people are expected to solve the majority of their differences with heartfelt conversations or karate when that fails.

e: Also I want a whole rear end spin off that just follows Johnny and Daniel travelling and bickering and solving problems with karate, maybe after they get exiled from the valley for Too Much Karate.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

5 min in and episode 1 loving delivers.

Daniel: "I was bullied and karate saved me"

Crowd: "Bullshit! I heard you were the bully!"

That was just :discourse:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Karate Kid Daniel being the real bully wasn't some popular meme thing until a few years ago right?

HIMYM kind of launched it back into pop culture for a bit, and really gave some fresh life to the alternative take to what is a cheesy 80s high school martial arts movie.

Cobra Kai slowly morphing from "serious life after 80s hijinks" to "begun, the ka-ra-te wars have" is either a sign of them just needing to top each previous season or they're trying to follow the actual 80s trend of what starts as a local high school competition escalates to actual life or death stakes.

Parts of S3 seem like something out of an shounen anime. Secret techniques, training montages, betrayals then reverse betrayals etc. It's loving gold.

Amanda slowly going from "you aren't cops, lets be serious" to "WE NEED TO DESTROY COBRA KAI" was great. Obviously literally everything about the kids committing no end of serious assaults would be shut the gently caress down in real life, but Amanda trying to go to the cops AFTER she's already had her dramatic 80s showdown moment and Kreese being one step ahead of her was so goddamn good.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 2, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Best part of the season was the Miyagi Do/Eagle Fang summit and their list of disputed items:

- new name
- gi design
- post-training snacks
- sensei dispute resolution protocol

Also this season's first half suffered from a major problem with season 2, which was that, in order to keep Miguel and Johnny more "innocent" they had to be off doing their own stuff while Kreese was ordering children to cripple each other. This got better in the last half tho and hopefully with mostly everyone being under Miyagi Do and the focus being more on the tournament this won't be as big an issue next season, although I do feel like Cobra Kai is going to need more personality on their side instead of just "psychotic bullies" and "severe daddy issues". Re-adding the established season 1 bully was a good idea to flesh out their side tho.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

sticklefifer posted:

My main issue is the tonal whiplash. The first season was far more in line with the small, grounded story of the 1st movie. Seasons 2 and 3 try to keep that while also leaning hard into over the top goofy cheese of Fantasy California Karate World, and now it's hard to tell when the show is taking itself seriously. It's like they're trying to hit the funny/serious balance of Scrubs, except all of JD's imaginary cutaway gags are real and presented with a straight face. It's hard to buy emotional character moments when Cobra Kai breaks into people's houses and assaults them with weapons, and the actual solution everyone's on board with is "Let's settle this... with A KARATE TOURNAMENT!" If that was a plot with season 1's tone, the next season would be 100% courtroom drama. But where season 1 had a quick gag about ditching Miyagi's mystical healing massage in favor of a medic, the current tone might as well have Daniel teach it to all his students as a legit magic healing power. I'd be all for that kind of stupid, except that the show so often acts like it's not that kind of stupid.

I haven't seen S3 yet but plan to shortly. I disagree with most of what you posted though.

I think the charm of the show and what makes it work so well is just how masterful they are at leaning into the cheese, balancing the goofball poo poo and how well they really straddle the corniness. Its like pulling off a massive Tony Hawk PS combo and still landing that bitch somehow.

I give the show a wide berth since I think that deep down it's not really trying to be heavy and serious for the most part and, like others have said, it has no business being as good as it is. It's really stupid and over the top, like you said, but drat if it doesn't dance that idiotic 80's dance quite masterfully.

Its one of the most addictive TV shows I've watched in quite some time, which is saying a lot for a show built around a movie about a kid learning to fight back against bullies. Or basically "Rocky" with a skinny kid. None of this poo poo SHOULD work at all but somehow it does.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gaz2k21 posted:

My favourite part was of course the power of Dee Snider curing Miguel’s inability to walk

I was disappointed. Should've been "We're Not Gonna Take It", to lead into Miyagi-Do trying to resist Cobra Kai.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Between the boys and it's obsession with fresca and this show trying to make me believe teens would willingly drink RC cola. Modern tv is really pushing some strange soft drinks.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dr Christmas posted:

I lol’d at the cut in episode 2 from the landlord’s finger in the cigar cutter to the hot dog.

It's close in that episode between that and "okay we need a fight, uhm angry mechanics"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gaius Marius posted:

Between the boys and it's obsession with fresca and this show trying to make me believe teens would willingly drink RC cola. Modern tv is really pushing some strange soft drinks.

Hahahaha holy poo poo I had the EXACT same thought.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Johnny googling "how to make legs work again" was my favorite part.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
season III was extreeeeeemely good

:waycool:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pentyne posted:

Karate Kid Daniel being the real bully wasn't some popular meme thing until a few years ago right?

Yeah. We've got that from Barney of all the characters on HIMYM and apparently a lot of sites ran with a YouTube video from some content creator I never heard of because said creator apparently looked at what was happening between Ali and Johnny and Daniel stepping in, getting his rear end kicked, and thought 'yes hmm clearly it is poor Johnny who is the real victim.'

Said video also called Miyagi a 'demon sorcerer.' So. Yeah.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 3, 2021

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Gaz2k21 posted:

Not just Dee Snider.. Dee Snider and underage drinking!

One catalyzes the other. It's just :science:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like in season 1 they were at least trying to ground the show in reality, but Kreese is so comically evil they might as well give him a long mustache to twirl.
I don't understand how you can live through the last four years and still think a villain like Kreese is in any single way unrealistic.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Honestly I find the show works a lot better if I just imagine it's some sort of alt universe where police are mostly irrelevant and people are expected to solve the majority of their differences
Um...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Well I mean as opposed to the real world in which cops would have mag dumped a number of the darker skinned characters for any number of minor crimes, obviously.

I mean I feel like the things that strained credulity in the second season were immediately addressed in s3ep1 and the show basically said "yeah it's silly just roll with it" and I am 100% good for that.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 3, 2021

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fair enough.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just binged all of season 3 in the last two days. drat, that was good.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Speaking of things like that, I was watching Greatest American Hero a couple of weeks ago when I saw a familiar face. I started saying to myself, that couldn't be him, could it?

I never knew it was his first role, and his dad was listed in the credits as well.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0592596/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the charm of the show and what makes it work so well is just how masterful they are at leaning into the cheese, balancing the goofball poo poo and how well they really straddle the corniness. Its like pulling off a massive Tony Hawk PS combo and still landing that bitch somehow.
No, I definitely get that part. Like I said, if they fully leaned into that aspect, I'd be fully on board. But it was a definite shift from the first season's tone, and where it falls short for me now are the emotional moments not feeling earned because I'm never sure if they're actually trying to earn them.

Like with Tommy last season, taking a terminal cancer patient out for one last camping trip before he dies isn't exactly a ball of laughs. It's a pretty serious and mature theme, and his death was played off as a tragic emotional moment for Johnny. So to end that with a "lol bodybag" joke is tonally bizarre for a show that isn't known for pitch-black humor. I laughed at that shot, but I could just as easily see the writer's room thinking it was supposed to be solemnly ironic and poignant cinema instead of a super morbid sight gag. So past season 1, anytime I'm presumably supposed to feel bad for a character - like Sam's PTSD or Kreese's Excellent Vietnam Adventure - I don't connect with it because I assume the show's always winking at me. To each their own of course, but my brain's reaction to it is like the emotional equivalent of the Uncanny Valley.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. We've got that from Barney of all the characters on HIMYM and apparently a lot of sites ran with a YouTube video from some content creator I never heard of because said creator apparently looked at what was happening between Ali and Johnny and Daniel stepping in, getting his rear end kicked, and thought 'yes hmm clearly it is poor Johnny who is the real victim.'

Said video also called Miyagi a 'demon sorcerer.' So. Yeah.

Forgive me if I’m misreading you , but you do know that was a joke video right?That’s why it became a meme, because it was a funny idea to entertain if you took everything happening in the movie out of context

Asuron fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 3, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The mohawk kid has to be one of the worst actors I've ever seen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was great, let's hope they can push that energy into season 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
The music in this show is so loving good like listen to S3 E7 first scene it's basically SNES era Final Fantasy boss music it owns hard.

And the song that plays over the ending credits could have been performed by Nobuo Uematsu and the Black Mages cant wait for S4.

Also Kumiko and Alli still got it, drat.