Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Youth Decay posted:

Yep.

Before - 3BD 1.5 BA 1790sf sold for $1.09 million in 2019. A fixer-upper for sure, but the original details are there.

Original details like faux shutters, single pane glass,and...what? With the mold and water damage that house is lucky it wasn't a teardown, and the remodel was tastefully done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

By popular demand posted:

I hate Twitter so I might as well extract the photos

Thank you for this. I hate using Twitter so I really appreciate this.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can't believe no one's made an app or script to just rip the urls of twitter images so you can post them without having to click through to that stupid site.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I can't believe no one's made an app or script to just rip the urls of twitter images so you can post them without having to click through to that stupid site.

Sounds like crappy construction.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Youth Decay posted:

Before - 3BD 1.5 BA 1790sf sold for $1.09 million in 2019. A fixer-upper for sure, but the original details are there.

No, that house wasn't rebuilt for avoiding assessments or anything like that. Just functionally, it did need to be rebuilt. You can restore it to the way it looked like a long time ago, but even then it would be sorely lacking in many modern features that most people wouldn't put up with it today.

It legitimately needed to be gutted to fix the house. And once you gut something, it costs way more to *restore* than to just pretty much rebuild.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

By popular demand posted:

And that's a good place as any for me to finish off my daily posting.

underneath the combination library/booze-study is this bathroom, which straddles the TV room and the kitchen

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought that the library catwalk was cool for like five seconds. Then I realised it could be a full floor and nothing of value would be lost. There aren’t even windows up there.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Sloppy posted:

Original details like faux shutters, single pane glass,and...what? With the mold and water damage that house is lucky it wasn't a teardown, and the remodel was tastefully done.

China cabinet, most of the doors, built-in shelving by the fireplace, beams, crown moldings, wainscotting, kitchen cabinetry and tile, staircase, cast iron, sleeping porches.

I guess I just find the remodel very generic and dislike that they ate up nearly all 4,000sf lot. Just build a new multi-family if you're going to do that.
https://www.estately.com/listings/info/5126-coronado-avenue
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5126-Coronado-Ave-Oakland-CA-94618/24753012_zpid/

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 2, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the remodel is a winning bingo card of every basic-bitch instagram feature that is popular at the moment

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lutha Mahtin posted:

underneath the combination library/booze-study is this bathroom, which straddles the TV room and the kitchen

perfectly arranged so your guests can hear and smell you making GBS threads

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Gaps at the top and bottom for maximum wafting.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fauxtool posted:

perfectly arranged so your guests can hear and smell you making GBS threads

Imagine blowing rear end when the house was quiet and it just ringing off those i-beams lmao

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

Imagine blowing rear end when the house was quiet and it just ringing off those i-beams lmao

its obviously some kind of fetish house.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Gaps at the top and bottom for maximum wafting.

Aren't huge gaps on public toilet doors a very American thing ? 'Wide stance' and all that.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the remodel is a winning bingo card of every basic-bitch instagram feature that is popular at the moment

Youth Decay posted:

China cabinet, most of the doors, built-in shelving by the fireplace, beams, crown moldings, wainscotting, kitchen cabinetry and tile, staircase, cast iron, sleeping porches.

I guess I just find the remodel very generic and dislike that they ate up nearly all 4,000sf lot. Just build a new multi-family if you're going to do that.

Well what are you two specifically looking for? Somebody building a new house or remodeling to sell land isnt going to want stuff that is cost-exorbitant or completely out of style. People are going to be building things they think have value when a place is sold. And no, nobody wants to build a multi home in a R1 zoning plot because they can't.

Look, I have done an extensive remodel so i totally know the issues with that place. But that's what people want.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

https://twitter.com/thebestofzillow/status/1344371978677833733

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/175-E-Thirsty-Acres-Pl-Pima-County-AZ-85321/97405777_zpid/?utm_medium=referral

Personally I got mad respect for whoever built this and whoever will buy it.

E:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The doorknocker looks like a little man, and in addition to the white colour makes the whole thing look like the world's fanciest public toilet

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Wasabi the J posted:

It never ceases to surprise me how some of the fanciest, most architecturally designed buildings seem to neglect to consider something really fundamental, like acoustics or a functioning HVAC system.

The building I used to work at was a fancy new research centre. The open plan office areas, where they stuffed all the techs/students/post-docs, were on the south side of the building. They had wall-to-ceiling glass windows, and the HVAC ducts didn't reach all the way to that side of the building. So whenever the sun was shining, it got way too hot in the part of the building with the highest density of people.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Because those architects are pushing boundaries and making art and can't be bothered with pedestrian concerns like human comfort or usability. See the career of Frank Gherey for a great example.

Edit: see also, a very famous architect that built a museum that was mostly a glass pyramid that let in enough UV that permanent exhibitd couldn't be installed until a very expensive UV film was retrofit on every pane of glass, and that lacked any offices because museums don't need things like staff.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 2, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

Because those architects are pushing boundaries and making art and can't be bothered with pedestrian concerns like human comfort or usability. See the career of Frank Gherey for a great example.

Edit: see also, a very famous architect that built a museum that was mostly a glass pyramid that let in enough UV that permanent exhibitd couldn't be installed until a very expensive UV film was retrofit on every pane of glass, and that lacked any offices because museums don't need things like staff.

Also see the buildings (there were at least two) that formed parabolic mirrors which swept car-melting sunrays across the landscape every day.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Where's the beat-up 1975 Toyota? Anyway not a good buy because in 2025 they'll tear up the slab.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
retuuuurn the slaaaaab

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

nishi koichi posted:

retuuuurn the slaaaaab

I didn't expect that reference:choco:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

ntan1 posted:

Well what are you two specifically looking for? Somebody building a new house or remodeling to sell land isnt going to want stuff that is cost-exorbitant or completely out of style. People are going to be building things they think have value when a place is sold. And no, nobody wants to build a multi home in a R1 zoning plot because they can't.

Look, I have done an extensive remodel so i totally know the issues with that place. But that's what people want.

It’s trendy yes but it’s also destroying the original character of the house because they wanted low investment with lovely builder grade finishes and a fast sale over doing a proper restoration with the higher selling price that would net. Arts and crafts and craftsmans are trendy right now and they threw it away in pursuit of a quick profit.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I'll tell you right away that

(1) the houses in that area do not have any "original character"
(2) a proper restoration would sell for less in that market
(3) this "original character" nonsense is what people are using to justify the lack of any building or new construction in that city

and as a result I have to shoot you down immediately.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

corgski posted:

It’s trendy yes but it’s also destroying the original character of the house because they wanted low investment with lovely builder grade finishes and a fast sale over doing a proper restoration with the higher selling price that would net. Arts and crafts and craftsmans are trendy right now and they threw it away in pursuit of a quick profit.

I see expensive casework, expensive cable rails, trim and siding choices that mirror the original. The only part that I question (and I can't see into the bones so there was probably a good reason for it) was getting rid of the nice little glassed in upper area on the front. All the 'original character' you mention looks like 60s grade big box stuff from a past remodel, nothing I'd associate with an actual nice example of Craftsman (of which there are many, and I also love and would hate to see destroyed). There's plenty of examples of lovely soulless modern replacing lovely history, but this ain't it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I see contractor grade poo poo because I literally just spent last year buying an arts and crafts and I looked at houses that were trashed in exactly that manner by flippers. I can promise you that it’s all finishes and laminates that will look terrible in ten years. They also ripped out the original woodwork and cabinetry, took out at least one wall to make it open floor plan and stuck a big addition on the back.

You can like it if you want but it’s not good it’s just trendy.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

corgski posted:

As someone who's had to live in old houses all their life : gently caress the "original character". Shits too hot/too drafty/stairs are dangerously steep/the windows don't work/all the doors are too small/the kitchen can't fit modern appliances/etc. gently caress all of that poo poo. Also gently caress trying to register a house as "historic" to try to force the neighbors/future owners/whatever to keep the "original character" intact.

Also on a related topic: I'm going to take the (admittedly extreme) stance and say that housing should have to pass modern code (which isn't exactly a loving high bar to begin with) to be sold.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

8one6 posted:

Also on a related topic: I'm going to take the (admittedly extreme) stance and say that housing should have to pass modern code (which isn't exactly a loving high bar to begin with) to be sold.

I grew up in a rural farmhouse with no heat at all on the second floor so I get the issues with unmaintained old houses, and historic registration can be a scourge if you have an HOA-level board you have to run everything by. That’s not the issue I have with flips like this.

Most of these trendy flips wouldn’t pass code if they were required to, if they even bothered getting permits for most of it to begin with.

The entire concept of flipping is to slap cheap finishes on exposed surfaces and take out every wall that isn’t load bearings and maybe even a few that are so your house is now an echoey cavern while doing nothing about the mechanicals of the house. Which if you were to fix those it could just as easily be done while putting in finishes that match the architectural style of the house and not a Pinterest board that will look tacky and dated in a year.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
As someone who went from owning a 1924 home that often required going to antique stores to find things like door knobs to a 1972 house that I can just buy poo poo for at home depot, pretty much gently caress owning amd maintaining old houses.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

stealie72 posted:

As someone who went from owning a 1924 home that often required going to antique stores to find things like door knobs to a 1972 house that I can just buy poo poo for at home depot, pretty much gently caress owning amd maintaining old houses.

I rent :smugmrgw:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'd love to restore my 1911 home, and if I did, I'd be restoring a literal shack in middle of the woods lying on the ground.

But I literally can't so tacky modern garbage it is!

That said I've done no-wall-damage rewires on beautiful 1930's Craftsmen houses on Queen Anne and Capitol Hill in Seattle to update them to modern standards without destroying the original fixtures, including expensive as gently caress reproduction light fixtures, and there's stuff in those houses that you just can't get anymore for love or money, and they're pretty neat, it'd be a real shame to see them torn down or remodeled into contemporary houses.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

corgski posted:

Most of these trendy flips wouldn’t pass code if they were required to, if they even bothered getting permits for most of it to begin with.

The entire concept of flipping is to slap cheap finishes on exposed surfaces and take out every wall that isn’t load bearings and maybe even a few that are so your house is now an echoey cavern while doing nothing about the mechanicals of the house. Which if you were to fix those it could just as easily be done while putting in finishes that match the architectural style of the house and not a Pinterest board that will look tacky and dated in a year.

The problem is that the example you've linked here isn't one of them. The building reports show a project valued at $670,000 (I'm surprised, because if I were an architect or contractor I would *really* fake this number as is common) that include a complete-to-the studs remodel.

As a requirement, the sewer lateral to the house has been replaced, a title 24 report is included with the project meaning that it's almost certain that insulation and ventilation has been replaced, there is a new 200 amp panel which automatically triggers a re-inspection of the wiring and a bring-to-code of most of the electrical, and given that there is an addition and the remodel exceeds 50% of the sqft of the house, a structural plan to ensure that the house is earthquake proof to modern code is required.

The tiling appears to be middle grade. I have a feeling I know which distributor specifically has the tile that they purchased. I have seen better tile than that distributor, but that is tile that seems like it will last an ok amount of time. From most of the construction industry, the grout that they probably used is going to be Custom grout, which is going to be sufficient for the required usage.

The laminate that is used for the kitchen cabinets is mid grade. I think there are a couple of finishes that are going to be better than that made by Rehau and a couple of European companies, but what they have is pretty sufficient. The counters are probably going to either by LG, or one of the middle-tier quartz companies. The appliances are top tier (they got it at a discount for Miele, which is trying heavily to expand to the bay area and thereby discounting their ranged by a bit). As a result, I am guessing that the cabinetry is going to be made out of plywood with the doors made by MDF covered with laminate, as is pretty standard for that European style.

The hinges in the cabinets are made by Halfele, which is one of the two top tier hinge-making companies that typically source to the SFBA. The other comparison company is Glass.

The faucet finishes appear to be Axor, but I may be wrong on this. Axor is probably a pretty decent/solid choice and is squarely in the luxury market.

The patio doors are likely Marvin, but they've saved a bit of money specifically on most of the standard windows, which appear to be Milgard. There's nothing wrong with Milgard, and they produce a huge majority of windows in the SFBA. They do tend to last pretty well, with some minor exceptions.

Really, it's a question on the flooring and trims to me. But part of the reason those are always lower quality is that flooring and trims end up being super easy to replace in this region, so as a result people are going away from the old classic wood to luxury vinyl/engineered wood to not have to deal with as much maintenance.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ntan1 posted:

A good post

This is a good post.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Color me corrected, it’s mid grade tacky and they actually pulled permits for that atrocity.

E: Actually I’m having a really bad week and I’m going to take a step back from this thread for a few days.

corgski fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 3, 2021

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

corgski posted:

Color me corrected, it’s mid grade tacky and they actually pulled permits for that atrocity.

E: Actually I’m having a really bad week and I’m going to take a step back from this thread for a few days.

Now I feel bad for being so cranky about it. Feel better goon!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

tbf that definitely isn't the worst one I've posted itt

quote:

Before:

After:

lol look how crappy this wood plank thing is

quote:

This is a "Custom Nordic-modern revisioned" home in Portland, OR. It sold for $823,000 in 2017. Boy, they really splurged on the wood for that fence didn't they?

RIP little 1910 bungalow it was built on top of :(

quote:

Honey, I metastasized the house!

it gobbled up the whole backyard

quote:

Turning a lovely 1920s Mediterranean-styled bungalowinto a soulless white voidcastle makes me irrationally angry

Goodbye terra-cotta roof

Goodbye fancy 19th century French carved door and house number

Goodbye Batchelder tiled fireplace

quote:

denver.jpg

Here is what that boxhaus used to be

All 1920s craftsman bungalows shall be assimilated

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I remember growing up in Austin early 2000s when a lot of these kinds of remodels started popping up, and liking the remodels like that, but I also liked Limp Bizkit and America, so I didn't have a lot of great opinions.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

tbf that definitely isn't the worst one I've posted itt

The Denver one makes me the most angry (but removing that fantastic fireplace is a close second)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That carved door was gorgeous, what the gently caress who would get rid of that

I hope they at least sold it on and didn't just throw it in a chipper :ohdear: