Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Good for hopefully being quick to address said tax issues ?

I haven’t seen an answer to confirm: any debt, like credit card or student loan debt?

Did your parents have you as a co signer on any loans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Does anyone have any experience with OPERS? I've started a new job and need to roll over my OPERS account to something else. I think I just want to transfer it to a vanguard IRA (I have a roth IRA but not a regular IRA). It looks like I can roll it over like any other account, but since it's not a 401(a) instead of a 401(k) it's not clear to me if all the same rules apply (and Vanguard's website mostly just discusses rolling over 401(k)s).

Another thing I'm a bit confused by: the website is estimating 20% taxes on it -- am I correct in believing that those won't apply if I roll over to an IRA since it won't be a taxable event?

Just don't want to accidentally screw this up. Thanks thread, let me know if I should post this in the long-term investing thread instead.

Edit: my plan is to call up vanguard to ask them about rolling it over, but just trying to not be totally in the dark about the process.

Neurostorm fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 28, 2020

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I vaguely remember seeing a post about a calculator for determining whether a high deductible or normal health plan is better financially based on the costs and amounts that the company chips in for the HSA. Does anyone remember that or have one that they like?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Well one of my New Years resolutions is to finally create a budget and track spending for the first time. Is there a piece of software that does automatic bank import that’s goon recommended? I’m definitely not gonna keep it up if it’s not mostly automated.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Well one of my New Years resolutions is to finally create a budget and track spending for the first time. Is there a piece of software that does automatic bank import that’s goon recommended? I’m definitely not gonna keep it up if it’s not mostly automated.

YNAB is my personal favorite, but I believe there are other budgeting softwares that do that as well, such as the Dave Ramsey version called Every Dollar.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hello thread! I’m looking for a flow chart that gets posted every once in awhile that goes something like small nest egg -> big debt -> better nest egg -> debt -> 401k -> HSA etc. It’s more detailed than that but I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. Someone mind posting it for me?

I want to send it to a younger friend that, like me, got nothing from school about money management.

Edit: As tribute, I’ll share that these forums specifically helped me pay off and stay credit card debt free, hit a nest egg of 5 digits and cut my student/car debt to the point that I should be debt free in 2 years. Thanks BFC!

Rolo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 29, 2020

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
https://u.cubeupload.com/demonlesondledon/FIREFlowChart.png

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Would also recommend the oft-recommended "If you can"

It helped me immensely when trying to help some family members take savings seriously.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

What's the difference between a savings account and a high yield savings account, if any? More generally, I managed to get my emergency fund up over $10K and want to make sure I'm putting it in the best place to balance returns with liquidity.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Not to double post, but the flowchart above is the FIRE version, which is very similar, but not the same as, the personal finance version linked below. I don't have an opinion on which is better, just wasn't sure which one you were looking for.

EDIT: ^^^ Most brick and mortar banks offer savings accounts, but they pay a tiny tiny amount of interest (0.01%). It's just a separate container. A high yield savings account is just an account that pays more than that. Frequently an online bank. Right now rates are extremely low, but you can find 0.5% or so. We frequently recommend Ally bank, but any FDIC bank or credit union that offers a decent rate is fine.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 29, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s the chart! I’ll supplement with the more detailed one, thanks.

And I’ve had a great experience with Ally. The rates have plummeted over the years but I don’t regret leaving Wells one bit. I keep my checking account at Wells open (and disabled) with 1$ for the rare occasion that I need to deposit cash and transfer it to my online savings.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
How do you get large amounts of cash out on shortish notice if you don't have a bank/credit union you're a member of near you?

I currently have a savings account with ally and a checking/savings account with a credit union in halfway across the country because I moved. Is there an easy way to take out a few thousand dollars without just maxing out atm withdrawals several days in a row?

(Looking at purchasing a vehicle from a private party, cash only)

Soylent Pudding posted:

What's the difference between a savings account and a high yield savings account, if any? More generally, I managed to get my emergency fund up over $10K and want to make sure I'm putting it in the best place to balance returns with liquidity.

I keep my emergency fund + some in an ally no penalty cd. It's an 11 month cd with no penalty for early withdrawal. I opened it in February when rates were still good (comparatively), but I think the current rate for it is. It's currently .5%, the same as their savings account rate, I've been getting emails every month about dropping rates.

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 29, 2020

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

How do you get large amounts of cash out on shortish notice if you don't have a bank/credit union you're a member of near you?
For credit unions, you could see if they participate in the credit union co-op network.

Also, maybe not applicable here but for future reference, you can get money orders at Walmart or certain grocers much cheaper than an out-of-network ATM.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I currently have a savings account with ally and a checking/savings account with a credit union in halfway across the country because I moved. Is there an easy way to take out a few thousand dollars without just maxing out atm withdrawals several days in a row?

(Looking at purchasing a vehicle from a private party, cash only)

I keep my emergency fund + some in an ally no penalty cd. It's an 11 month cd with no penalty for early withdrawal. I opened it in February when rates were still good (comparatively), but I think the current rate for it is. It's currently .5%, the same as their savings account rate, I've been getting emails every month about dropping rates.

I had to pull $2,000 for movers 2 years ago, Ally has a limit of $1,000 a day, but if you call them they’ll verify you and bump the limit. Then you can go to any ATM.

Ally only reimburses up to $10 a month now in ATM fees, so you may go over that if it’s a large cash withdrawal.

If it’s a one time thing, yeah it’s a hassle but whatever. I will say, if it was even once a year that I needed to do something like that, I would get a 2nd account at a physical bank. I’m just lucky I pretty much never need more than $50 at any one time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, how often do you need large amounts of actual cash where a check or wire transfer won't do? For me that's been vehicle purchases and even I manage to only do that once a year or so at my worst.

I do 99% of my banking with Ally. I keep a BofA checking account open with literally nothing in it and just funnel the bare minimum of my direct deposit through it to keep it fee-free, and transfer money back into it if I'm going to need to pull it out as cash. Also comes in handy to get access to their notary services, and I use their ATMs to deposit any cash I end up getting.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I do 99% of my banking with Ally. I keep a BofA checking account open with literally nothing in it [...] Also comes in handy to get access to their notary services, and I use their ATMs to deposit any cash I end up getting.
Same, but substitute BoA with my local Credit Union. As long as I keep $5 in the account, they’re cool.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I’ve been exclusively using Ally for checking and savings for almost 4 years with no regrets. Paycheck is direct deposited and even when I bought a car with cash this year the dealer accepted the paper check from Ally with no problems.

It sucks that the interest rate has plummeted (not their fault) but it’s still leaps and bounds better than any physical bank.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Small White Dragon posted:

For credit unions, you could see if they participate in the credit union co-op network.

Also, maybe not applicable here but for future reference, you can get money orders at Walmart or certain grocers much cheaper than an out-of-network ATM.
To expand a bit: you can go to branches in the Co-op network that have shared branching, however right now, with the pandemic, be aware that a lot of credit unions aren't doing shared branching (to cut down on COVID risk for their employees/members). Just because a credit union is in the Co-op network does not mean that all of its branches will support shared branching, you can find those branches in the location search here, but I would call ahead to make sure that they're taking shared branching members and to see if you need to make an appointment (something else a lot of credit unions are doing to help prevent the spread of COVID). Oh, also let them know the amount of the transaction you want to do, make sure they have the cash on hand.

Also, if you're not buying this car from someone you know, I'd suggest doing the transaction in the parking lot of a local police station.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I use Fidelity as my checking account. Unlimited ATM fee reimbursement and free wire transfers. I have opened a banking account at my local CU, wired funds, withdrew the next day and closed my account before.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
Long story short, I own a pretty profitable small business that makes 50-100k profit a year doing online retail and I have absolutely no idea what I am doing.

I used to have a business partner that handled the books and logistics side of the business, and then he more or less dramatically betrayed me and got me for tens of thousands of dollars. I've been doing my own thing since then, and the business is doing really well. No major liquidity problems, buying stuff, selling stuff, it's all been going great, I just don't know... really anything other than how to make money through the business.

I'm completely clueless regarding how to file effectively, for example. I also got married recently and moved across the country, so between setting up my new business in Nevada, plus joint filing, I have absolutely no idea what to do with my taxes this year. I've been told I should get a CPA, which I intend on doing, but i don't even know how to pick a good one.

I guess I'm just very overwhelmed, and I'm so overwhelmed that I don't even know where to start!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Lead By Example posted:

Long story short, I own a pretty profitable small business that makes 50-100k profit a year doing online retail and I have absolutely no idea what I am doing.

I used to have a business partner that handled the books and logistics side of the business, and then he more or less dramatically betrayed me and got me for tens of thousands of dollars. I've been doing my own thing since then, and the business is doing really well. No major liquidity problems, buying stuff, selling stuff, it's all been going great, I just don't know... really anything other than how to make money through the business.

I'm completely clueless regarding how to file effectively, for example. I also got married recently and moved across the country, so between setting up my new business in Nevada, plus joint filing, I have absolutely no idea what to do with my taxes this year. I've been told I should get a CPA, which I intend on doing, but i don't even know how to pick a good one.

I guess I'm just very overwhelmed, and I'm so overwhelmed that I don't even know where to start!

I would be just as clueless as you when it comes to this stuff, so don't take my word as gospel here, but it doesn't sound like the business is very complicated, so I don't think a "good" CPA or a "bad" CPA really matters (obviously, getting a negligent criminal would be a problem, but if you go to a normal business that people have heard of, that's a vanishingly small possibility). You're just looking for someone to do a simple (to them) job, any CPA should be able to do that.

Do you keep records of your transactions? If so, you should be 75% of the way there.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib

Grumpwagon posted:

I would be just as clueless as you when it comes to this stuff, so don't take my word as gospel here, but it doesn't sound like the business is very complicated, so I don't think a "good" CPA or a "bad" CPA really matters (obviously, getting a negligent criminal would be a problem, but if you go to a normal business that people have heard of, that's a vanishingly small possibility). You're just looking for someone to do a simple (to them) job, any CPA should be able to do that.

Do you keep records of your transactions? If so, you should be 75% of the way there.

I do almost all of my sales over the internet, so I have the wide majority of my sales easily printable in a csv. I definitely need to do a better job of tracking the money I spend on acquisitions, as I feel like that's going to be much harder to back track through since so much of it is done either in person or via social media. I suppose most businesses traditionally just keep a ledger. I've also been horrible about mixing my finances with the business -- I need to do a better job of keeping everything separate.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Ask on facebook or friends around town who have small businesses who they use. (Think: Attorneys, therapists, trinket shops, whatever. If it's not owned by a corporate overlord, ask them.) You will start to see a pattern in the replies. Give them a quick intro / interview call and see if you click. If you do, give it a shot. If they suck, fire them and try again. Here where I live there are a dozen or two CPA firms around but only 2-3 that people consistently recommend.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If you had $10k to invest, would you just throw it into VTSAX or something similar?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Omne posted:

If you had $10k to invest, would you just throw it into VTSAX or something similar?

What do you want to do with the money and when? Tax advantaged (IRA, 401k) or taxable brokerage? This is just hookers and blow money? Not like, the down payment on your house in 2 years, emergency fund, or retirement?

If taxable I would slap it in a total international fund.

The real answer here is "in line with your overall asset allocation strategy."

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

H110Hawk posted:

What do you want to do with the money and when? Tax advantaged (IRA, 401k) or taxable brokerage? This is just hookers and blow money? Not like, the down payment on your house in 2 years, emergency fund, or retirement?

If taxable I would slap it in a total international fund.

The real answer here is "in line with your overall asset allocation strategy."

Yeah more info would probably have been helpful. Assume 401k/IRA fully maxed out. Have a very healthy emergency fund and other cash savings in an Ally HYSA, purchased our home 18 months ago so not really saving for anything and figured putting it into an index fund for the time being would be best.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Omne posted:

Yeah more info would probably have been helpful. Assume 401k/IRA fully maxed out. Have a very healthy emergency fund and other cash savings in an Ally HYSA, purchased our home 18 months ago so not really saving for anything and figured putting it into an index fund for the time being would be best.

Hookers and blow it is! Taxable has potential for some savings on your taxes if you do international. That's what I would do until it hits your target international %.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

H110Hawk posted:

Hookers and blow it is! Taxable has potential for some savings on your taxes if you do international. That's what I would do until it hits your target international %.

If saving money on taxes is your primary concern, go with the first sentence above.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

knowing nothing about cryptocurrencies and stuff, is it actually a good idea to just put a small amount of savings into that stuff? i have a very risk-averse sort of personality and basically not a money or finance guy but i have a couple of friends who keep telling me how dumb i am for not doing it and being rich like them and if nothing else it will shut them up. if i turn a few hundred euros into deus ex money am i doing something dumb or is it sensible?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It’s not a good idea, especially if you are risk-adverse. Tell them you heard them and you’ll consider it in your financial planning. Then have them stay out of your business.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Don't put any money into bitcoin that you can't afford to lose, and if you do put some in, for god's sake don't tell the people urging you to buy bitcoin.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Don't put any money into bitcoin that you can't afford to lose, and if you do put some in, for god's sake don't tell the people urging you to buy bitcoin.

i guess what i was thinking of was to put some money (like a few hundred euros one-time) into a relatively cheap currency like ethereum in case it jumps in value by some silly amount like bitcoin did

i don't really have any financial problems but i'm just a teacher and i have no investments or experience with them, i can afford to spend some money on something like this but since i am a complete rube when it comes to financial stuff i figured it might be really stupid for some reason i don't clearly perceive

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Why not a penny stock?
Why not a lottery ticket?
Why not place some bets on a football match?

Make sure you understand the investment and have legitimate reasons for investing money in them. If you don’t, better to not do anything.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Cryptocurrencies are stupidly volatile. Sure, sometimes they jump in value 500%. They also routinely fall in value by similar amounts. If you're putting money into a cryptocurrency, you should classify it as entertainment, not investment, because you're gambling.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

i don't really have any financial problems but i'm just a teacher and i have no investments or experience with them, i can afford to spend some money on something like this but since i am a complete rube when it comes to financial stuff i figured it might be really stupid for some reason i don't clearly perceive

If you have no investments or experience with them, your first investment should probably be something boring and reliable like a retirement target date index fund. Not bitcoin.

Unless you're also a degenerate gambler.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
The value of crypocurrencies are entirely dependent on coin-holders' ability to convince people like you that the value will rise and that you should buy them.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

i guess what i was thinking of was to put some money (like a few hundred euros one-time) into a relatively cheap currency like ethereum in case it jumps in value by some silly amount like bitcoin did.

One time I was at the casino, the roulette-ball-thing landed on 13. Clearly, my next logical action was to put €400 on 13!

FOMO is a powerful beast. Like some of the other posters said above, if you want to throw some money into a bet on crypto, make sure it’s not actually money you need, and treat it as entertainment. Personally, I can think of far better uses, but to each their own.

The primary issue being that there is no actual value in any sort of cryptocurrency. Don’t trust anyone who says things like “proof-of-work” or “block-chain” as a reason to expect any crypto to have any sort of expected return. It’s all bullshit. They are entirely speculative bets that rely on, in the end, someone to be left holding the bag. Are you lucky enough to not be that person?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah i figured it was mostly bullshit, thanks for the advice

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

totalnewbie posted:

The value of crypocurrencies are entirely dependent on coin-holders' ability to convince people like you that the value will rise and that you should buy them.
This is true of stocks as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

This is true of stocks as well.

The value of a company's stock is (loosely) tied to the expected future performance of that company. It can drift a lot, but there's something anchoring the stock to reality.

Cryptocurrency is completely detached from anything except for its own market.