Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

The mohawk kid has to be one of the worst actors I've ever seen.

How can you say when watching the same show with the girl playing Sam?

In 2 lines the Larusso son showed more acting ability then she does in most entire episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pentyne posted:

How can you say when watching the same show with the girl playing Sam?

In 2 lines the Larusso son showed more acting ability then she does in most entire episodes.

They are possibly equally bad but he's more noticeable because he is always dialing it to 11.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I think both are fine for the awkward teenage characters (that have magic Karate powers) they are portraying.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. We've got that from Barney of all the characters on HIMYM and apparently a lot of sites ran with a YouTube video from some content creator I never heard of because said creator apparently looked at what was happening between Ali and Johnny and Daniel stepping in, getting his rear end kicked, and thought 'yes hmm clearly it is poor Johnny who is the real victim.'

Said video also called Miyagi a 'demon sorcerer.' So. Yeah.

More to it then that. Those of us that were the nerdy/bullied kids when Karate Kid came out that grew up to be somewhat well adjusted and experienced Johnny's side too started looking at the movie differently, when we all cheered for Daniel initially. Its kind of like looking at Revenge of the Nerds now and realizing they suck and one is a rapist! 80s kids weren't getting all of that.

The show understands that neither were right and kept escalating with each other, spurred on by their mentors. But its funnier to just blame Daniel because he's really annoying in retrospect.

The season explains it perfectly where he tries to justify ruining the weed smoking hose thing with, "I couldn't resist."

Darko fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 3, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Asuron posted:

Forgive me if I’m misreading you , but you do know that was a joke video right?That’s why it became a meme, because it was a funny idea to entertain if you took everything happening in the movie out of context

That certainly makes more sense, but as I said I'd never heard of the guy and thus haven't watched his video but I promise you people who should know better take it seriously, like it is a Thing.

Darko posted:

The season explains it perfectly where he tries to justify ruining the weed smoking hose thing with, "I couldn't resist."

Honestly, after the aggravated assault and attempted homicide of pitching Daniel down a cliff I probably couldn't resist in some light pranking either in his shoes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just finished Season 3.

Overall, while I was worried with the first three episodes it was still good.

Still not as good as the first two seasons.

I felt that the wackiness and cheesiness were just too much this time around. They absolutely existed in Season 2 but there the show felt like a live action Shonen anime, while Season 3 it felt like a well directed Power Rangers high school drama section.

I also found it very dumb that Samantha was afraid of Tory. I mean SHE is the one who defeated Tory, why would she be afraid of her? It was also really annoying how characters and relationships stayed stagnant. Particularly Johnny toward his son and Daniel and Johnny having another falling out after briefly teaming up again. Though the last episode made some important changes to that.

Also the episode with the Okinawan characters just seemed...odd. I can't put my finger on it.

Not to mention, where is Stingray? Okay he has a restraining order against kids but still his absence seems odd. Could they not agree on a contract?

However, Kreese's backstory owned. And no I am not mad for him killing his commander.

veni veni veni posted:

I think he's pretty good. :shrug:

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 3, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

WarMECH posted:

The music in this show is so loving good like listen to S3 E7 first scene it's basically SNES era Final Fantasy boss music it owns hard.

And the song that plays over the ending credits could have been performed by Nobuo Uematsu and the Black Mages cant wait for S4.

The song during the big brawl was just straight up off-brand JRPG buttrock, inspired choice.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I think both are fine for the awkward teenage characters (that have magic Karate powers) they are portraying.

Hawk's hair grew 13 inches in about 2 weeks, and no one even bats an eye.

If you're watching this show and saying "hmmm the acting isn't quite top notch prestige TV caliber" - you may not enjoy it for what it is. Buy YMMV.

edit: not replying to you solaris, but the person you were replying to

UltraShame fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 3, 2021

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just finished Season 3.

Overall, while I was worried with the first three episodes it was still good.

Still not as good as the first two seasons.

I felt that the wackiness and cheesiness were just too much this time around. They absolutely existed in Season 2 but there the show felt like a live action Shonen anime, while Season 3 it felt like a well directed Power Rangers high school drama section.

I also found it very dumb that Samantha was afraid of Tory. I mean SHE is the one who defeated Tory, why would she be afraid of her? It was also really annoying how characters and relationships stayed stagnant. Particularly Johnny toward his son and Daniel and Johnny having another falling out after briefly teaming up again. Though the last episode made some important changes to that.

Also the episode with the Okinawan characters just seemed...odd. I can't put my finger on it.

Not to mention, where is Stingray? Okay he has a restraining order against kids but still his absence seems odd. Could they not agree on a contract?

However, Kreese's backstory owned. And no I am not mad for him killing his commander.

I think he's pretty good. :shrug:

Tory also scarred her, badly, and the whole conflict lead to her current boyfriend paralyzing the guy she still loved in a horrifying karate fight. Winning isn't some magic get-out-of-PTSD-free card. Hell, you can see the same traumas running deep with how Daniel literally can't get over the Cobra Kai incidents, albeit to a less pronounced degree.

I don't think Stingray needed to appear this season, tbh. I'll admit I felt Aisha's absence bad, and she could've been a counterpoint to Kreese's pruning of Hawk's other friends by making the intentional choice to leave on camera. But Stingray's bit was finished and I don't think he would've filled any role in his absence the mouse feeding and bully fights didn't already fill. I could see him getting a cameo or nod in Season 4, showing up to a fight that doesn't have any time for him, but that's really all that's left for him in my books.

I'm torn on the Johnny-Daniel and Johnny-Robbie conflicts staying kind of stagnant. I don't really think either stayed stagnant? But they definitely didn't advance as much as they could've. I think each conflict with them leads them trusting and appreciating the other more, even if it always ends poorly, and the fact that they teamed up by choice instead of as a last resort shows that. They were definitely in opposition way less than they were in Season 2, and I kind of liked the idea of Ally literally representing the past telling them that it's okay to start living for the future. Part of me does agree that them walking into a Double Dragon level would've been a good point for a turnaround, if only because dear god I was rooting for them so hard at that point, but I also think they had that little bit of growing they needed to do first.

Johnny-Robbie (and Daniel-Robbie, for that matter) are a lot harder to put, IMO. Part of me wishes they had more time to explore these relationships, but part of me feels like the isolation was half of the point. There are several episodes at a time where the show just forgets about Robbie, and hell, I think the characters do too. Daniel seems content with the idea of letting him be locked up with a lighter sentence. Sam and Johnny have a lot on their plates and outside of a few token attempts by Johnny, never try to visit him. He says he doesn't want Johnny around, and their interactions always lead to him being hurt one way or another, but the isolation hurts just as much. If the cast had active relationships progressing with Robbie, I don't think he'd have that same isolation that lead to him falling under Kreese's sway.

Honestly, I think if it was any other show, I'd be with you on wanting those relationships progressed faster. However, I think the core of Cobra Kai is ultimately the idea of cycles of trauma and violence, and those relationships being so stagnant for so long is another symptom of that long-term hurt. The show certainly isn't afraid to pick up the pace on a relationship when the story calls for it. Look at Hawk, whose arc was very clear, consistent, and speedy throughout the season. He saw Cobra Kai as him and his friends against the world, and he clung so tightly to that idea that he didn't realize Cobra Kai had flipped his friends and the world's positions until he was the only one left. When he's seeing his old bullies beating the poo poo out of his old friends, and he's realizing he's on the bullies' side, he finally has that moment of realization and lets go. That's a problem that solves itself a lot more easily and naturally than Robbie's long-term hedgehog's dilemma as he either lets isolation hurt him or lets people disappoint him, or Daniel and Johnny's old grudges being exacerbated by the past refusing to let them move on.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Bee posted:

Johnny-Robbie (and Daniel-Robbie, for that matter) are a lot harder to put, IMO. Part of me wishes they had more time to explore these relationships, but part of me feels like the isolation was half of the point. There are several episodes at a time where the show just forgets about Robbie, and hell, I think the characters do too. Daniel seems content with the idea of letting him be locked up with a lighter sentence. Sam and Johnny have a lot on their plates and outside of a few token attempts by Johnny, never try to visit him. He says he doesn't want Johnny around, and their interactions always lead to him being hurt one way or another, but the isolation hurts just as much. If the cast had active relationships progressing with Robbie, I don't think he'd have that same isolation that lead to him falling under Kreese's sway.

It would help if Johnny didn't once again de-prioritise him in favour of his substitute son when it really mattered. Daniel similarly also did what he thought was right, but by forcing it upon Robbie he torched whatever trust they had built up and there was no recovering from that.

Robbie's whole arch is that since he has abandonment issues he will sabotage the productive relationships he does have and will end up with anyone left that accepts him. Whether that be the dumb duo, Daniel as in season 1 or the bully-gang as here. By rejecting both of the caretakers who try to be there for him he is left with no other option.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I appreciate the response.

The issue with Robbie is that he doesn't really have hedgehog dilemma, it's just that people just constantly fail him. I felt that his dad skipping is jail visit to pray with Miguel's family was dumb. Did they pray for like an hour or something? Even if he had to go and pray he couldn't do so for like ten minutes then be on his way? I do totally buy Daniel turning Robbie in. That's absolutely something he'd do. But it's like his dad and his son had some rekindling and it immediately falls apart due to his dad praying for Miguel for an hour. It's dumb to me.

MiddleOne posted:

Robbie's whole arch is that since he has abandonment issues he will sabotage the productive relationships he does have and will end up with anyone left that accepts him. Whether that be the dumb duo, Daniel as in season 1 or the bully-gang as here. By rejecting both of the caretakers who try to be there for him he is left with no other option.[/spoiler]

I mean is he really sabotaging things here? His dad constantly fucks everything up every time and while I understood what Daniel did it's a very natural response for Robbie to burn that bridge.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

MiddleOne posted:

It would help if Johnny didn't once again de-prioritise him in favour of his substitute son when it really mattered. Daniel similarly also did what he thought was right, but by forcing it upon Robbie he torched whatever trust they had built up and there was no recovering from that.

Robbie's whole arch is that since he has abandonment issues he will sabotage the productive relationships he does have and will end up with anyone left that accepts him. Whether that be the dumb duo, Daniel as in season 1 or the bully-gang as here. By rejecting both of the caretakers who try to be there for him he is left with no other option.

Exactly! If someone hurts Robbie, he'll reject them no matter what they say or do, even if they're just trying to help or give him acceptance. If Robbie disappoints someone or lets them down, then he'll run away and refuse to hear anything otherwise. Frankly, I don't think anything Daniel, Johnny, or Sam can do can help him at this point. Poor boy needs therapy, bad.

As for de-prioritizing, pretty much. Everyone pretty much de-prioritized Robbie for Miguel. And that's kind of understandable when Miguel is literally in dire straits in the hospital, but it still stings deeply in Robbie's perception.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean is he really sabotaging things here? His dad constantly fucks everything up every time and while I understood what Daniel did it's a very natural response for Robbie to burn that bridge.

His default response to Johnny ever showing up is "I don't want you around, go away." And that's a seriously understandable response, considering everything! But it's also a response that makes rebuilding bridges hard, and further leaves him alone.

It also doesn't help that, yeah, Robbie's usually right about everything. Yes, Sam and Miguel are still pretty blatantly into each other. Yes, Johnny is going to gently caress up, then get cold feet and run away.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 3, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The Bee posted:

His default response to Johnny ever showing up is "I don't want you around, go away." And that's a seriously understandable response, considering everything! But it's also a response that makes rebuilding bridges hard, and further leaves him alone.

It also doesn't help that, yeah, Robbie's usually right about everything. Yes, Sam and Miguel are still pretty blatantly into each other. Yes, Johnny is going to gently caress up, then get cold feet and run away.

I mean Robbie was ready to give his dad a chance again, it was his dad who hosed up. I also don't know if "Robbie is right about everything" as those are the only two things he was right about and with the former the context is wrong. Sam absolutely cared about him it's just that he wasn't able to respond and was gone for a while and they're like all in highschool and you know how quick relationships change.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I did find the pivotal Robbie moment contrived with timing. As stated, even as stunted as Johnny is, he still would say I have to meet my son in prison today. Him just being late with the same result would have worked better.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Darko posted:

I did find the pivotal Robbie moment contrived with timing. As stated, even as stunted as Johnny is, he still would say I have to meet my son in prison today. Him just being late with the same result would have worked better.

I think overall it works though. When push comes to shove whenever Johnny is forced to choose between Robbie or Miguel, he always chooses Miguel even if the setup in this case is a little contrived.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Episode 4 was weird for me, because they clearly filmed in The High Museum of Atlanta for the Tokyo Doyona meeting(which looked like they showed the arial view of Shinjuku), and then the bar and the cafe afterwards were also from the High. Although everything from the airport and driving around in the Taxi looked like it was really Japan. Not sure if that outdoor mall was really Japan, as I've never been in Okinawa, but it doesn't look like any mall in main island of Japan.

Also, I randomly saw someone I know in the background of the cafe scene. I just messaged him, but they must have asked around the Atlanta area for Japanese, because he said him and his son were both in that episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm really happy with how the Ali stuff was dealt with. And that they managed to get Shue to come back and do it was really great. Just very satisfying closure for everyone.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I think the actor has turned into the character, in season 1 he was great and I think that being "the hawk" has gone to the actual actor's head

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

veni veni veni posted:

He's...fine? :shrug:

I mean...at this stage, sure, he's a little one dimensional without much to work with but I'm not seeing anything more lacking or cartoonish in his performance that stands above anyone else and I've seen far, FAR worse actors in my life. To me he just seems like a dude cast as a heavy in a cheesy 80's homage about a series of cheesy karate movies that's intentionally made to be cheesy.

4 episodes in so far and loving it. I'm having a hard time coming up with anything similar that straddled the line so well between parody, self deprecation, homage and complete straight faced seriousness that deals in something so ridiculous. So hats of to the writers and the directors. This show has absolutely zero business being this loving good and so much fun when everything about it should be met with a giant eye roll so big that the eyelids make noise. It's SO loving corny but somehow it works.

I still think Zabka carries the series and, again, I really really hope this lets him branch off and find more meaningful roles. I could see Tarantino using him.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just finished up the season and one of the things I appreciate is that the actual fights are so well done and fun to watch that I personally can't give a poo poo about how ridiculous it is that all these kids haven't been expelled/locked up in juvie.

Glad they wrote Stingray out of the show because that was probably the cringiest thing about season two.

Also all the characters I was starting to get annoyed by all got solid growth and development this seasom except for Tori (who still had the whole thing with the slumlord creep and her mom) who apparently is just gonna nefariously twirl her moustache until the end of time.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

I still think Zabka carries the series and, again, I really really hope this lets him branch off and find more meaningful roles. I could see Tarantino using him.
It's crazy how good he is. I assumed he has been in films forever but he has been regulated to guest roles in TV films and parts so small he's virtually an extra. I'd love to see more of him.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Season 4 should remember Daniel has a son for more than one episode and have Demetri or Hawk be Anthony's mentor. They started off about as nerdy as him and either would be a hilarious pairing. Especially Hawk and Anthony.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whoa, that was the same kid who played Daniel's son previously. I guess he quit drinking the butter.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Whoa, that was the same kid who played Daniel's son previously. I guess he quit drinking the butter.

I wonder if the promise of doing cool karate in a season or two incentivized him

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I think most of the fights are fine in this show, but this season had the most old man fights and it kinda shows. They try to give those fights as much energy as they can but they’re still pretty sluggish the Kreese vs Daniel fight in particular was pretty stilted.

I don’t want to really complain too much about it though, because there is clearly not much they can do about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

I wonder if the promise of doing cool karate in a season or two incentivized him

Could also be puberty. I had a fat friend who turned into a total jock at 14.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rhyno posted:

Could also be puberty. I had a fat friend who turned into a total jock at 14.

I can't wait to see what happens with the two little nerdy rival kids. If they keep getting into Karate riots every week they're gonna be monsters when they actually hit puberty, and apparently the actors are actual black belts, so they could really pull it off.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I am glad Ali showed up and helped somehow.

Let's go, Ali-do dojo season 9

I am also a dumbass

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 4, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Nothing will be more ridiculous than Brandon Stark growing a literal foot and a half in Game of Thrones.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
How could I forget the classic Zabka cheesecake photos? Baby oil: that poo poo gets everywhere.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Episode 4

lol everything in Japan is corny as gently caress yet it somehow works

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I really liked that, episode 9 spoilers: Johnny was prepping to order something fancy and healthy in front of Ali and she was all "I don't even know what that is I want a Burger.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 4, 2021

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Johnny slapping the kids books out of his hands was a terrible thing to do to someone but also, really hilarious. I think it was just Zabka's adorable acting, he just makes it seem so much like the whole thing is FUN that you can't help but go along for the ride.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Senerio posted:

I really liked that, episode 9 spoilers: Johnny was prepping to order something fancy and healthy in front of Ali and she was all "I don't even know what that is I want a Burger.

Mung dahl is delicious and healthy but is about as far from fancy as it gets!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Johnny slapping the kids books out of his hands was a terrible thing to do to someone but also, really hilarious. I think it was just Zabka's adorable acting, he just makes it seem so much like the whole thing is FUN that you can't help but go along for the ride.

that's one of my favorite moments in the season, especially him immediately apologizing with "sorry kid old habits" or whatever, it's an extremely Johnny moment

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Glad they wrote Stingray out of the show because that was probably the cringiest thing about season two.

"What about that neckbeard teacher that helped beat up the kids!?"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pretty messed up he didn't see any prison-time for wantonly beating up kids.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
The school board / city council meeting randos were shouting everything the audience should have had a problem with, but it got ironed out by CAPTAIN Kreese, Sam, and Akira Diaz.

Show's great.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Rhyno posted:

His summer camp was fat camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nothing will be more ridiculous than Brandon Stark growing a literal foot and a half in Game of Thrones.

He could have done with growing a literal foot or two.