Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Goddamn a no bullshit article 15 for loving eating some hooah bars are you loving kidding me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Army WTF did a year-end post for 2020.

quote:

WTF Nation, 2020 found our community growing to 1.425 MILLION followers, keeping us the largest Army-centric community on the Internet. True to our mission of "Providing entertainment and assistance to the Soldier, the Veteran, and their Families," this past year we accomplished a great deal with the help of all of you.
Due to COVID, we were limited with doing our calls for attendance to celebrate the life of a Soldier or veteran and calls for assistance to help our brotherhood. But we still managed to pull together.
Here is the year 2020 in numbers:
57 COVID updates on promotions, PCSing, TDYs, and schools as Army and DOD policy evolved
83 fundraisers completed raising a total of $256,000
14 BOLOs for missing people or equipment that resulted in 6 recoveries
2200+ battle in distress incidents that we handled by helping those that needed someone to talk to and figure out an actionable way forward
109,493 inbox messages received for submissions, support, guidance, or just someone to talk to
6,500+ posts created with submissions from you and that resulted in 4 Zucc Bot violations
None of those things would be possible without all of you. You are not just our followers, you're our friends - and you prove it daily by supporting us through daily participation in our community by commenting, sending us pictures and stories, donating money to worthy causes, and often providing pro bono expertise to help those that need help in our community.
One of the critical functions we perform is keeping our Soldiers - and most importantly, our Army leadership - accountable.
The Army will always be the Army, it will still suck, it will always be hard, and it will always inconvenience those serving in its ranks. That's why only 3% of the population serves in the Armed Forces of our country. It's not for everyone, and it comes with many sacrifices both for the soldiers and their families. However, it also gives a lot, and it provides opportunities and a brotherhood that will follow you everywhere in life.
This year we also took action in front and behind the scenes to correct situations that came to our attention and that were affecting individual soldiers or the Army as a whole.
We put the spotlight on a total of 8 senior leaders or organizations ranging from CSM to BG due to toxic leadership and double standard behavior to assist you, our followers, in making sure things do not get buried under the carpet.
We took action and helped correct more than 200 cases where Soldiers either individually or as a whole were being affected. A lot of those you have read about already, and some you never will because that is how we like it, 99% of hard work and 1% feeling good about what we accomplished. A great example of this is working hard for those medals that the Soldiers deserved.
This has already been way longer than we were envisioning, but we will close it with a big THANK YOU to all of you, our followers, that make all of this possible. We promise this year to continue our vigilance. We will keep filling the gaps and shining the light on the wrongs that some people prefer keeping in the dark.
We also promise to be better - because we are human too, and while we go to extreme lengths to prevent errors, they do occur. We WILL make mistakes, but we pledge to own them and correct them, publicly and transparently. In over ten years of bringing you stories, we only had one story posted that was erroneous, but for us, one is one too much.
Here is to another kickass year.
~ The Admins

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
US Army WTF Moments can gently caress all the way off.

I contacted them about the SBP-DIC offset, asking if they could bring awareness to the issue and got a "thanks for sending this in."

A few months later they posted about some stolen guidon shenanigans and I messaged them back saying "this gets posted but survivor benefits don't? Good to know, thanks."

They sent a thumbs up in reply.

McNally fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 3, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

McNally posted:

US Army WTF Moments can gently caress all the way off.

But they managed to cancel 8 people for toxic leadership. Surely that's got to be like at least half of the total amount right?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I don't know, groping someone without their permission sure sounds like a legitimate reason to punish harshly.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hyperlynx posted:

I don't know, groping someone without their permission sure sounds like a legitimate reason to punish harshly.

Yeah that seemed appropriate.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Canadaland the general reprimand for sex assault stuff is getting booted entirely, as a minimum.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
America would have no SNCOs if they did that.

The average army sex pest seems to be a 35 year old E6.5 staff NCO.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Wasabi the J posted:

The average army sex pest seems to be a 35 year old E6.5 staff NCO.

I see we had the same SHARP representative

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

We’d be better off for it, which is why the army will never go down that path :smith:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Wasabi the J posted:

Goddamn a no bullshit article 15 for loving eating some hooah bars are you loving kidding me?

TRADOC loves some ticky-tack NJP.

Truthfully, a company grade in Basic has very little in the way of future consequences. You're all E1s (or close enough to them, unless your dumb rear end enlisted with a degree), it's not setting back your progression very much.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Only NJP that I saw at boot camp was a dude who tried to run away once, got caught and was on extra watch, and then tried to run away a second time while “doing laundry” and got caught trying to climb the fence that separates the Recruit Depot from the San Diego Airport’s runways.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

MonkeyWash posted:

I see we had the same SHARP representative

What better person for the job than the resident groper?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tactlessbastard posted:

militia etheridge is a platinum tier username

:yeah:

Still anxiously awaiting more medieval times stories

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

Only NJP that I saw at boot camp was a dude who tried to run away once, got caught and was on extra watch, and then tried to run away a second time while “doing laundry” and got caught trying to climb the fence that separates the Recruit Depot from the San Diego Airport’s runways.

We had a guy get one for an ND, but it was with a blank. For some moronic reason we had to carry blanks in a magazine with us at all times, but we were only given like 10 or so.

This was also around the time dime/washer drills got banned, because someone had a blank in the chamber when they pulled the trigger and sent a cleaning rod into someone’s leg across the room. Not in my company, I just remember seeing the safety bulletins with pictures.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Thump! posted:

What better person for the job than the resident groper?

Those who can't do, teach.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

We had a guy get one for an ND, but it was with a blank. For some moronic reason we had to carry blanks in a magazine with us at all times, but we were only given like 10 or so.

This was also around the time dime/washer drills got banned, because someone had a blank in the chamber when they pulled the trigger and sent a cleaning rod into someone’s leg across the room. Not in my company, I just remember seeing the safety bulletins with pictures.

I remember thinking that one scene in starship troopers where they where doing a live fire drill, Dude takes his helmet off, and another dude trips and blows the other dudes head off accidentally was ridiculously unrealistic.

Reading this thread over the years makes me think it was a bit too realistic.

brains
May 12, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

I remember thinking that one scene in starship troopers where they where doing a live fire drill, Dude takes his helmet off, and another dude trips and blows the other dudes head off accidentally was ridiculously unrealistic.

Reading this thread over the years makes me think it was a bit too realistic.

in basic the soldier next to me on line nearly killed a CPT who was stupid enough to be standing in front of us. we were doing a bounding exercise, which was supposed to end with us arriving at a range for a live fire, so we had live rounds in the mags (but not loaded).

on the last bound to the edge of the woodline before the range line, the soldier somehow managed to load her weapon, switch the safety to fire, and then jumped on top of her rifle with her finger in the trigger, with predictable results. the captain was walking along the break waiting for us to emerge. he heard a snap and hit the dirt, to his credit, i suppose. all i saw was her hit the ground next to me, flash and a bang, and a body drop to the ground in front of us. i thought it went well.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i saw that lane as my first real trust exercise in the army

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Only personally witnessed blank NDs, but a stranger once volunteered a story of almost killing their fire team partner before getting kicked off basic.

Charge-wise, the :rolleyes:iest one I saw was for somebody who didn't evacuate a barracks when the fire alarm went off. Nobody else did either because it was night, during winter, during a known false alarm in a building that had false alarms daily. But leadership was out to get this guy and this was the only legally justifiable way they could do it. This person is also not in the military anymore.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
August two guys from my rear detachment doing range support almost ate a 25mm from a Bradley- whilst serving as extra hands at the vehicle ammo point. Whilst getting the belt off the cannon the crew managed to ND it- something to do with the ammo feed crank mechanism being used the wrong way. Goes without saying that by the time you come off the lane, and WAY before you are at the ammo pad you are supposed to get cleared by the range safety. Could have been a very bad day.

Then again, the very same gunnery cycle saw a m1 rotate their gun past the tower whilst on a hot range. Tank commander lost his spot and rank, spending rest of the gunnery as a loader.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There was a twitter thread about people ND'ing things in the armed forces a while back, after some dipshit said the solution to school shooters was to put armed veterans in classrooms. My favourite was the dude who put an M203 training round into the rest he had his M4 barrel on.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

tactlessbastard posted:

militia etheridge is a platinum tier username

Im porting it over to the user name thread in GBS.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

One M4 range I heard this PANG noise after some dummy sent his BFA downrange with a live round.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

EBB posted:

i saw that lane as my first real trust exercise in the army

I made sure to buddy up with the other guy in his mid-20s and we both made sure to let each other know we weren't storming loving Normandy.

I'm glad I got the same guy for Combatives in Week 9 because down the line, some tryhard got his arm broken. He was a split option (ie, high school junior doing basic over his summer break) up against his drop-dead date. So he went home.

And had to start Basic from day one a year later after graduated from high school.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

We had the 3rd shop armorers come to gauge our weapons. This was 03, while poo poo was still popping, so we normally didn't clear. We just rolled hot. Everybody in the platoon- well, virtually everyone- were professional and used to the system.

We had recently got a turd who had been kicked from BN HQ. My Squad Leader asked if everybody cleared their poo poo, walked down the line checking chambers.

He failed to check BN Moron's 203. Guess who else did? Our loveable moron. Guess who also failed to properly clear the 203?

Our armorer. Goes to function check, but only opens the tube to cock it.
Bloomp!
Yellow smoke round into the ceiling.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

GD_American posted:

I made sure to buddy up with the other guy in his mid-20s and we both made sure to let each other know we weren't storming loving Normandy.

I'm glad I got the same guy for Combatives in Week 9 because down the line, some tryhard got his arm broken. He was a split option (ie, high school junior doing basic over his summer break) up against his drop-dead date. So he went home.

And had to start Basic from day one a year later after graduated from high school.

This sounds like a dude from my HS. Was this 97-98ish?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Not an ND, but last shoot I went to before I got out of the navy we were dicking around like 60yds from the firing line playing spades.

Suddenly hear a round hit the box truck to our side closer to the line, and then the van window 6" to the right of a guys head shatters. Some dink on the line shot low enough to hit a rock, which ricocheted back and somehow didn't kill anyone.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nystral posted:

This sounds like a dude from my HS. Was this 97-98ish?

summer/fall '02 at Relaxin' Jackson.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I've told this story before in this thread probably. I look like the idiot but the range coach was the real idiot and almost got me killed. In Okinawa the firing lines are on little hills. Trying to do the stranding string of fire, they give you ammo cans to sit on. I always had the can a step back and could just feel it with my heel to sit down. The step back is down the firing line, not away from it. Well, when I was shooting a coach came up behind me and moved the can to right next to my ankles. I guess he thought that I wanted it there. Some people did, some people didn't, I have no idea why he thought that was a good decision.

I fire my shot and take a step back to feel my can, and since it's now in right behind me I trip, fall over the can, down the hill and am now about three yards past the firing line while people are firing, which isn't a huge deal honestly but being right out of boot I was sure someone was going to shoot me. Of course I also flagged the whole line in my tumble. Luckily the range officer bought my story and I didn't get kicked off the range, but he also didn't do poo poo about the coach that almost got me killed and I was pissed.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
When I did a JET tasking back in 2008 I got sent to Riley to do a couple months of training with 1st Infantry. They were on the way out because the unit was moving down to Polk I think, so the few folks left gave less than zero fucks and the training was legit chill most of the time. Show up for a 0700 formation with the first sergeant, then go do whatever until 0900. Nearly half the in-classroom days ended at like 12 with nothing scheduled after. The lax environment lead to idiocy all the way down as enthusiastic idiots met apathetic trainers and live weapons got thrown into the mix. Keep in mind this is where I met folks like Hall, the autistic chimo from West Virginia who tongued dirty radio cables.

One range day I was pretty sure I was going to get shot. We were supposed to be practicing transitions while walking toward a target with live rounds. Walk forward shooting M4, the call would come, drop M4 and start shooting M9, another call to switch back, rinse, repeat. Once we got too close, they'd call it and everyone was supposed to point their barrel at the dirt, about face, then walk back to reset. Out of the fifteen or so lanes they had set up I was on the very last one to the right, and I swear to Christ I would get flagged by at least one moron every time single we turned around. The OCs never stopped anyone.

We were also told we weren't to adjust the headspace and timing on the M2s because we weren't properly trained and the armory guys would do it. Cue an M2 blowing up in a dude's face on the range because the armory did it wrong, sending the rear of it directly into his face and breaking his nose and jaw. We were supposed to get to fam fire some AKs and Dragunovs, which was cancelled because the training group before us had one blow up on a guy. Another guy needed stitches on his face because (despite being told about a zillion times that day) he didn't clear his barrel on a stress-fire course and shot directly into the sling hooks on the hood of the Humvee he was firing over. Luckily he wore his goggles and just got some nice shaving cuts from the pieces of copper that flew back.

The crowning achievement came when we were used as a rent-a-crowd for a service for one of their guys who had just been killed in Afghanistan. We're hustled into a warehouse while a Lt Col gives a bored-sounding speech that's being recorded so they can send it to the guy's wife and kids. After about five minutes of meandering he wraps up, looks straight down the barrel of the camera and loudly says "Duty first!" Yeah brosef, duty first is exactly what this guy's widow is gonna want to hear right now.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/Militarydotcom/status/1346475487195877376?s=20

Won't someone think of the Warcriminalsfighters?!?!

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
I've got a family member who was an officer in a Texas NG armor troop who claims that he was at a range at Ft Hood in the late '80s or early '90s when they were still using old tanks with an indirect fire capability and when the range officer called for all tanks to "raise barrels to maximum elevation and clear the chamber" one of them fired a round over the backstop and somewhere into central Texas. Note that this is an entirely different event from the 2000 case when Ft Hood 155s shelled a farm for ten minutes

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Notahippie posted:

Note that this is an entirely different event from the 2000 case when Ft Hood 155s shelled a farm for ten minutes

As a former cannon crewman, uhh, what the gently caress? Also, how the gently caress?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Steezo posted:

As a former cannon crewman, uhh, what the gently caress? Also, how the gently caress?

i echo this wtf, did someone provide a wrong grid reference and it wasn't noticed by the cp/foo party? how did someone not notice for 10 minutes "uhh there's no rounds landing on target, are you guys firing?"

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Steezo posted:

https://www.deseret.com/2000/1/29/1...-at-fort-hood-p

I was around there at the time and the local reporting was that it went on long enough for the couple to call 911 and then for 911 to call the base and tell them to knock it the gently caress off. I never heard any explanation of exactly how it happened but the hypothesis I heard from the family member mentioned above was that it was relatively easy to calculate coordinates 180 degrees off from intended landing point. Typing that out it sounds like horseshit though because even if that's true technically you'd think people would realize whether the barrel was pointing toward the intended landing point or not.

edit: it was only four rounds, my memory of it being ten minutes is probably off.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Notahippie posted:

I've got a family member who was an officer in a Texas NG armor troop who claims that he was at a range at Ft Hood in the late '80s or early '90s when they were still using old tanks with an indirect fire capability and when the range officer called for all tanks to "raise barrels to maximum elevation and clear the chamber" one of them fired a round over the backstop and somewhere into central Texas. Note that this is an entirely different event from the 2000 case when Ft Hood 155s shelled a farm for ten minutes

cease fire freeze

okay go wake up master guns and do the math

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

there's no loving way they lay in 180 degrees off the direction of fire. that would be an absolute incredible mistake on all levels of leadership.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Notahippie posted:

[url]

edit: it was only four rounds, my memory of it being ten minutes is probably off.

Depending on how it was called it could easily take ten minutes for four rounds factoring hangtime and lack of observed impact, however, comma, pause for effect, how the gently caress do you miss more than two shots without your line going cold and everyone double checking gun data, fdc data and goddamned everything the gently caress else?

Some loving "to the rear of the piece, FALL IN" poo poo right there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MA-Horus posted:

there's no loving way they lay in 180 degrees off the direction of fire. that would be an absolute incredible mistake on all levels of leadership.

I don't follow your logic.