Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Honestly? Between the two, Arrako's the one with less experience than Krakoa in terms of fighting for their survival. Arrako has been at war for thousands of years, sure. But only against the same enemy and the same strategies. They fought against overwhelming force and were eventually defeated by overwhelming force.

The mutants of Earth, though fighting for a fraction of the amount of time as Arrako, have faced far greater and more varied threats and have overcome. And they have to do so through means beyond simple force.

Really, Xavier and Magneto should have brought them a compilation of all the poo poo they'd been through up to now. (Also, they should let Iska in on the whole thing with Moira).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The Xavier Files people launched a new comics site today, with a Hickman interview about data pages:

https://www.comicsxf.com/2021/01/01/exclusive-jonathan-hickman-talks-about-charts/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1336762545143599104?s=20

Genuinely gonna miss Apocalypse while he's off loving his wife.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Adder Moray posted:

Really, Xavier and Magneto should have brought them a compilation of all the poo poo they'd been through up to now. (Also, they should let Iska in on the whole thing with Moira).

That’d be a bad idea.

Krakoa: Here are all the threats to mutants on Earth.

Arakko: We’ve fought demons for thousands of years. Defeating these humans will take a week. Bye now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Isn't like, the entirety of The Brood X-Men now?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

As long as Broo is in their good graces. People have been talking about the X-Men having a Brood army, but let’s not forget that until that mission, Broo had been working for the Avengers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

As long as Broo is in their good graces. People have been talking about the X-Men having a Brood army, but let’s not forget that until that mission, Broo had been working for the Avengers.

I think if Logan asks anything of Broo he'll do it.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

That’d be a bad idea.

Krakoa: Here are all the threats to mutants on Earth.

Arakko: We’ve fought demons for thousands of years. Defeating these humans will take a week. Bye now.

You're expecting them to be stupid. They're not. They're warlike, yes, but they aren't Klingons. (Hell, even Klingons are smarter than that).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I dunno. I think the major conflict with Arakko is going to be that they don’t think they should be stuck on a couple islands while humanity has all that land. I’m imagining a “It’s free real estate” with Iska. And it’ll get worse for Krakoa when Magneto starts siding with Arakko.

And about Broo. I’m sure he’ll side with the X-Men, I just think it’ll be a decent sized plot point when the inevitable X-Men/Avengers cosmic level war happens.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I can't imagine Broo siding with the Avengers if the other side includes all his friends from high school.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

I dunno. I think the major conflict with Arakko is going to be that they don’t think they should be stuck on a couple islands while humanity has all that land. I’m imagining a “It’s free real estate” with Iska. And it’ll get worse for Krakoa when Magneto starts siding with Arakko.

I expect that to happen, but neither do I expect Magneto to side with them, nor do I think they'll do so with full knowledge and clear eyes.

Humanity is a threat that is being combated in a way they do not themselves engage in combat, but they are not without sense. Presenting them with the fact that, yes, we're fighting back with the intention to dominate, and this is why we're doing it this way up front would get some pushback, but not nearly as much as being coy like this is going to cause. If they come at them with that explanation once they're chomping at the bit for a fight it's just gonna sound like excuses.

It's where Magneto and Xavier hosed up in their meeting. They tried to puff their chests out and look tougher than they are while Iska had to get information like she was pulling teeth. That makes them look cowardly and weak. If their "soft" living was something to be proud of, something that made them stronger and more resilient despite how it may look to the Arakki, then it's something they should speak of boldly and without reservation.

That looks strong.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I mean there is a single reason why Magneto and Xavier work together, and that has been missing in the conversation with the actual new mutants, but I doubt we'll see Moira talk to them.

Although it would be funny to see Isca's reaction, like if she turns coat again and joins the humans.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I honestly can't imagine any good story will come out of this Arakki stuff -- you just have to look at the info page to see they will be introducing a bunch of new blah characters.

But that moment where Xavier and Magneto looked so completely out of their depth, one trying to boast about their cobbled up government, the other holding a flower and talking about peaceful ways, and Isca just laughed like a parent who knows their kid is just going through a phase, that was legit great.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Saoshyant posted:

I honestly can't imagine any good story will come out of this Arakki stuff -- you just have to look at the info page to see they will be introducing a bunch of new blah characters.

But that moment where Xavier and Magneto looked so completely out of their depth, one trying to boast about their cobbled up government, the other holding a flower and talking about peaceful ways, and Isca just laughed like a parent who knows their kid is just going through a phase, that was legit great.

"You are children running a child government."

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Me, I'll join any government that offers me a nice flower. I love those things!!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
arrako doesn't even need to start a war. it's a second mutant island next to the first mutant island, populated by mutants. that's all the reason humans need so they are obviously going to attack arrako at the earliest opportunity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My read of old X-Men just hit the beginning of the Dark Phoenix story and just hit some serious uhhh:

Claremont’s weird poo poo is hitting Wonder Woman levels here.

Also found a clue as to why Kitty Pride is always dropping the n-word:

Heart’s in the right place there I guess, but man growing up under segregation must really do something to your head.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Kitty grew up in a rich-rear end suburb of Chicago in the 80's, which is to say racist as all gently caress. The suburb, that is, not Kitty.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Cyclops Has Always Been Right

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So who would be voted into the X-Men? Like who are the most popular mutants that are eligible?

I can think that Dazzler would be popular. But I have trouble after her of thinking of any other mutants that everyone would like.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Nightcrawler and Storm for sure.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

rantmo posted:

Nightcrawler and Storm for sure.

Sure, but they're not eligible since they're on the council.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Codependent Poster posted:

So who would be voted into the X-Men? Like who are the most popular mutants that are eligible?

I can think that Dazzler would be popular. But I have trouble after her of thinking of any other mutants that everyone would like.

Glob's an easy lock. Everyone loves his vegetarian laksa!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Sure, but they're not eligible since they're on the council.

Storm isn't on the Council

Colossus, Beast, half of the OG New Mutants would probably get the vote. M, maybe, I'm not sure if the rest of mutant kind would love to hate her or just hate her.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Storm isn't on the Council

Colossus, Beast, half of the OG New Mutants would probably get the vote. M, maybe, I'm not sure if the rest of mutant kind would love to hate her or just hate her.

Storm is on the Quiet Council. She sits with Kurt.

Nobody likes Beast now. Dani is probably popular. And yeah, so is Colossus.

But also have to think who the villains all like. Are there any bad guys who all the other bad guys like?

Also maybe Firestar would be popular.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Since one of the empty seats is Apocalypse's that one should definitely go to Magik since she has that exact same "I might accidently cause an actual apocalypse, but also might save all of us" vibe as Apocalypse.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I doubt this will happen but I'd laugh a lot if it wound up being a ton of X-Force/X-Statix characters coasting on name recognition and early aughts nostalgia. They were superstars! Bring back Bloke!

Edit: Ugh. I keep meaning "X-Statix" and typing "X-Factor."

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 3, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Banshee and Madrox on the council would be loving hilarious.

Seriously though, put Magik on there.She's like the most powerful mutant that isn't a telepath. (aside from Storm).

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I want to see everyone vote for Krakoa itself as a joke, and it ends up winning more votes than anyone else.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

List of Mutants Magik couldn't kill in a straight up fight is basically Xavier, Magneto, Storm, Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Kate Pryde and Apocalypse.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Sunspot will probably fund his own campaign.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's actually really interesting to see who mutants in general like the best. is sauron going to be on the team because no one put an age limit on voting and kids love dinosaurs?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

How Wonderful! posted:

I doubt this will happen but I'd laugh a lot if it wound up being a ton of X-Force/X-Statix characters coasting on name recognition and early aughts nostalgia. They were superstars! Bring back Bloke!

Edit: Ugh. I keep meaning "X-Statix" and typing "X-Factor."

Feral for president!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's actually really interesting to see who mutants in general like the best. is sauron going to be on the team because no one put an age limit on voting and kids love dinosaurs?

Sauron's a mutate, not a mutant. He got his powers from being bit by a mutant pterodactyl.

Seriously.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
They need to leave poor Piotr alone to farm and bang his purple skinned waifu in peace. That man is living the dream, let him keep dreaming.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Yeah, that's why I like speculating on who the mutants would vote in. It's hard to think of characters that are liked almost universally. Like you might think Logan, but then you think that half the mutants there have probably fought him and would be like "gently caress that guy" and vote Dazzler instead.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I cannot fathom Magik having any interest in being on the council. I also cannot fathom her not being on the X-Men. The Wolverines pretend they don't like cutting people into pieces, Magik doesn't waste the mental energy on pretending.
My predictions: Cyclops and Jean (obviously), Wolverine, Wolverine, Magik. And hopefully Sunspot and Cannonball cause nobody writes those two better than Hickman. I dunno, y'all think this is gonna be a standard "roster can fit in one cover shot" X-Men or are we gonna end up with a team of 20 who can be called upon as the situation calls for it? The latter makes more sense. Electing the X-Men is a friggin bizarre concept, it really should be just Scott saying "The X-Men are a thing again, come fill out a form if you want to be considered for away missions."

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Chuck and Eric have to have some kind of scheme here. In realpolitik terms it's absolutely insane that the unelected oligarchs who run Krakoa are allowing anyone to develop a popular mandate inherent in an election even if it supposedly has nothing to do with political power. It would be like China conducting an election for who gets to head off their military.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

I cannot fathom Magik having any interest in being on the council. I also cannot fathom her not being on the X-Men. The Wolverines pretend they don't like cutting people into pieces, Magik doesn't waste the mental energy on pretending.
My predictions: Cyclops and Jean (obviously), Wolverine, Wolverine, Magik. And hopefully Sunspot and Cannonball cause nobody writes those two better than Hickman. I dunno, y'all think this is gonna be a standard "roster can fit in one cover shot" X-Men or are we gonna end up with a team of 20 who can be called upon as the situation calls for it? The latter makes more sense. Electing the X-Men is a friggin bizarre concept, it really should be just Scott saying "The X-Men are a thing again, come fill out a form if you want to be considered for away missions."
I like the idea of voting for your champions, and your militarized force being accountable to the people. Doesn’t exactly jive with x-force though.

Of eligible people I do think Colossus has to be at top of list. Gave himself up for legacy virus, hard to believe he’s not super popular. Mystique has been on team with more people on the island than anyone else I’m sure, I could see her winning. Someone from X-Statix would be fun but I don’t see it happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
peter would probably just decline.