Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I actually appreciate that Dusa gets fired because she works herself to death and is constantly doing more than she was asked to do and is burning herself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just hope I don't see her in Asphodel begging for darkness on the corner.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

speaking of, just watched Dusa's VA go from 16 heat to beating 32 on the first try, extremely good vibes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't imagine doing 32 heat without EM4. I feel like anything else you can pile on to replace it is going to make the run much harder than EM4 boss will because that is a lot of points and precious few things to grab for them once you're at 32 that are not overly punishing.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Nah, if you're doing 32 heat you want to keep EM at 2 so you can get a ton of use out of tight deadline. Having a 7 min deadline is super easy and you don't have to think if you don't have to worry about added armour and a third health bar on hades

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
why not em3? is Beefy Cow just too much trouble?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Just started the game! Attempt 5 died at Theseus (I was hard carried by the Stygian Sword Cursed Slash +2hp on kill, letting me mash tank most things until I stopped being able to tank things when whacking Theseus' shield). Attempt 6 with the Shield (+Doom on Special) got me to Hades himself, but he hits ridiculously hard and it took ages to read his attacks, I just couldn't do it.

Just unlocked the spear, see if that helps me. I really need to find a proper balance between diving into the thick of things and standing at a safe distance poking away.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You’ll eventually get to the point where it’s super easy to read enemies like Theseus (hint: he wastes time walking back pretty much entirely to expose himself to you after a spear throw), probably sooner then a lot of people since idk if I was even clearing Asphodel by then.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Cow is really deceptively dangerous with any kind of Forced Overtime speed boost. I'd almost say he rivals Dad on just how much health he can chip if you're not careful.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

GreyjoyBastard posted:

why not em3? is Beefy Cow just too much trouble?

You can if you want to focus and try hard I guess, but even then it'd be easier to set tight deadline to five minutes and try hard that way.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Cow is really deceptively dangerous with any kind of Forced Overtime speed boost. I'd almost say he rivals Dad on just how much health he can chip if you're not careful.

Asterius with FO 2 is just absolute bullshit. His charge is fast enough that it's impossible to run away or dodge from it unless you had some ridiculous luck with Hermes and have like, +3 dashes or monstrous movement speed or both. So you have to rely on leading him to crashing into pillars and walls. Except then, you notice that his collision detection is buggy as gently caress and unless he hits the pillar/wall dead center, he will just drift around/along it and continue the charge and again, unless you have mad Hermes luck, you won't have enough mobility to lead him to another pillar/wall when that happens. So each time he does that move, it's basically a coin toss between you dodging it and you getting hit for at least 30+ damage (I think 30 is the base damage for that ability?). I'm raging but fighting Asterius is basically the only instance where I'm guaranteed to lose DD before Hades, and it always feels incredibly cheap.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The charge isn't buggy, he's just a really smart bull. You have to dodge near a pillar or the outer wall at a frighteningly close margin for him to crash into it but once you have it down he'll do so consistently. No "video game boss charges into wall" freebies!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I got this game a couple of weeks ago.

Yay. This was also the run where I cleared Elysium for the first time, funnily enough.

Back to the grind! Not doing punishments until I clear with all the weapons or the bonus gives me a dupe weapon, I think.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Boy I sure do love Flame Wheels! Who wants to actually play the game when you can just, you know, not? :thumbsup:

Seriously, though, if there is an enemy in your game that you can purchase the privilege of not seeing, I feel like that's a tacit admission that it shouldn't be in the game to begin with.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Eh theyre not bad just dash around them. Or dash thru a wall

Guilty
May 3, 2003

cheeseboy58 posted:

Eh theyre not bad just dash around them. Or dash thru a wall

Seconding this. Game is surprisingly loose with what you can dash through and it changes the whole game when you figure out how to use this defensively

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I know how to deal with them. They aren't hard, they're just annoying and not fun to engage with, and the game knows this, which is why you can purchase an item that stops them from showing up. Which, again, feels like one step away from the actual correct design decision, which is to just not include the annoying unfun enemies to begin with.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Flame wheels with teleport+ increased speed+ armor are fun stuff. Add some shields and forced overtime from heat choices to really have a party.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I tried Forced Overtime for the first time the other day and I will be seeing speedster flame wheels in my nightmares

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I enjoy the flame wheels. You have to react quickly when they're flying at you, but they don't really do that much damage if you do get hit. They just add a different dynamic.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

bwahahah 32 heat complete, eat it

keys: not doing em4, decent boon rolls, turning off forced overtime, stubborn defiance with the cheese to get an extra DD (even with touch of styx dark I woulda lost to normaldad had I not, shamefully), and also holy gently caress I had no idea the aspect of rama was such a potent murder machine, 'specially with twin shot and point-blank shot

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Doomykins posted:

The charge isn't buggy, he's just a really smart bull. You have to dodge near a pillar or the outer wall at a frighteningly close margin for him to crash into it but once you have it down he'll do so consistently. No "video game boss charges into wall" freebies!

From what I can tell the joke is that the Bull is the smart one of the pair.

Btw any standout Boons or Casts or Keepsakes I should aim for? And Hammer buffs on the four starter weapons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Phobophilia posted:

From what I can tell the joke is that the Bull is the smart one of the pair.

Btw any standout Boons or Casts or Keepsakes I should aim for? And Hammer buffs on the four starter weapons.

Honestly half the fun is really just experimenting. As a general rule of thumb, slow attacks tend to prefer scaling % like Aphrodite, and fast attacks tend to prefer on-hit effects like Zeus (Ares is a little different though because of his delayed effect).

While you're starting out, Cerberus' and Skelly's Keepsakes will help keep you alive. Once you get enough health, Hermes' Keepsake is really good with a fast weapon that can clear rooms out quickly like the Fists.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The keepsake that boosts boon level every 3 encounters is pretty good imo. I wouldn't run it over plume on weapons that like the plume but for slower weapons it's real good. You can do some real nasty stuff when you don't need to pick up a single pom to scale. It also gets a reasonable effect if you throw it on late in the run because you were fishing for specific boons early. Not as broken as having it on for a whole run but pretty good still

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Support Fire triggers from every hit of zeus shield special haha.

With Zeus on special, double strike, larger bolt AoE, and Zeus Legendary boon every room is just a fireworks show.

7% pressure points made it mean.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Zeus Shield is probably my favourite aspect. The rest of the shield aspects can gently caress off and I like that the rest of the weapons all have some variety that I enjoy but that single aspect is so much more fun itself than even the aggregate varied fun ways to beat up lernie with fists

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I cleared Heat 32 just now with the fist. Had 2 revives left in the chamber against Super Dad so I'm feeling pretty good though he killed me the first 32 run

Fun times.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 4, 2021

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I played this game for a week before CP2077 came out and then after beating that a friend bought me Escape From Tarkov so I've been playing that with him since. At the time I put this game down I had yet to beat EM4 Hades, I hadn't unlocked the final hidden aspect, and I hadn't gotten the dialogue from Nyx to free Achilles.

Had some free time today so I picked up the game again and went with Zag fists + Plume. Beat EM4 without losing a single defiance, got the shield phrase from Chaos, and Nyx gave me the contract after the run LOL!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
God, the sword is awful. I am trying so hard to make it feel good to use and it just never does. I'm this close to just skipping it even when dark thirst chooses it. It doesn't have speed like the fists, it doesn't have range like the spear or the bow, and outside of Arthur, it doesn't even have damage, so what the gently caress does it have? What is the point of this weapon?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sword's got versatility. It's not especially good at anything but it's also not especially bad. The main combo is great for stacking DOTs because you can turn the 3 hit into a 4 hit with the dash attack, and the AOE on the special is affected by any boon in that slot. The thrust at the end of the main combo also does a huge shove on enemies that can be pushed around (and Asterius).

Basically, Poseidon Poseidon Poseidon. Smash enemies into all the barriers.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

and speaking of poseidon, the sword's aspect of poseidon plus exit wounds leads to extreme comedy

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The sword has amazing flexibility in build/hammer options and great aoe on the special while being a mid point in other functionality.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I like this game so much I ordered a controller to play it "the right way" but by the time it arrived I had already logged in 40 hours and gotten good enough with mouse + keyboard that it feels frustratingly hard to learn to play with a controller.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sword with Double Nova and Hermes boosting the Special is ridiculous. Great AOE and damage regardless of what boon is on the Special. I think it was my second fastest clear.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Only have 3 hours in and it's super darn cool. Just unlocked the boxing gloves (I didn't see their names) and ready to step into the ring :clint:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

If you’re not going to use the ludicrously busted hidden aspect, poseidon sword lets you go all in on cast. Force Artemis for exit wounds and just burst down everything in sight. Just don’t gently caress yourself with Dionysus or Demeter casts

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My fastest clears are with the Stygian Blade and using the Nemesis aspect specifically. If you're bad with it, git gud!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Poseidon sword is alright, but Achilles feels so much better for cast builds. Exit Wounds alone is not enough to make up for the gulf in damage between the two, especially since Poseidon's gimmick only works on some casts, while Achilles works with every cast equally well.

Empowered special spam seems the closest thing to a sword build that actually feels good to use, but it's hard to get those hammers. The sword's hammers in general just feel kind of underwhelming. I wish the Sword Beams hammer actually scaled with your damage and carried the effects of your boons; that alone might be enough to make me love the sword.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

two unrelated realizations:

one, those "survive for 45 seconds" rooms are potentially huge gold sources. i'd always treated it as pure survival, just running in circles to evade foes, but I just had one that was all charging heads and mages, and ripped through them fast enough to earn a full 200 gold.

two, according to Steam, 5% of playershave all of skelly's trophies, including the 32-heat run, 5.8% have completed the Achilles quest, so by my calculations the Achilles quest is about equivalent to a 28-heat run. i am just never, ever going to get that dialogue to unlock, am i?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Speaking of, I rarely see the Survive rooms now, is that only on non-heat runs? Maybe the idea is that Erasus rooms replace those?

The Skelly achivement is only the 8- and 16- statues, but yes, the Achilles storyline (and Hypnos/Than storyline) will never seem to actually happen for me. (64 runs in) I do wonder if finishing the epilogue may have bumped those down and will eventually re-appear.