Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

How? By forcing all eight cores to run continuously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have no idea I’m sure life will find a way.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Ok Comboomer posted:

The Intel MBA had two, as did the low-end 13” MBP. I think you can expect the M1X (or whatever it will be called) MacBooks, the 16” and high end 13” (maybe a bump to 14”?), to come with four ports

FCKGW posted:

They still sell the 4-port Intel MBP, the M1 replaced the cheaper 2-port introduced in 2017.
MBA never had 4 ports (and used to only have 1!)

Mac Mini was a legitimate downgrade of ports but I'm curious if when they update the other MBP they introduce another tier Mac Mini with more power and ports.

The current M1 MBP replaces the older cheaper non-Touch Bar MBP? Didn’t know that.

I have the 2018 MBP with 4 ports and I use 3 of them pretty regularly.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
If I've got an older unit right now that's trying to die but aren't sure if I'll need access to make something Boot Camp-related in the future (not sure if our software needs will be changing this year or not) is it smarter to go with an older unit (like the early 2015 models) or more recent stuff (like in the Refurbished section of Apple's website) over the new M1 Airs/etc? I'm not opposed to something brand-new but also trying to hedge my bets in case I'm told "Nope, you need something Windows now" etc.

Also, to add to the conversation, I'm pretty sure that older Airs had at least 2 ports (along with stuff like the SD card slot in the older models) but not 4.

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 3, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yeah my bad, I knew the MBA only had 2, dunno why I lumped it together with the MBP anyway. Was just checking to see how much a M1 MBA/MBP would cost me and was surprised the MBP only had 2, and both of them being on the same side too. (I like having them on both sides so I can plug it in more conveniently.)

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah my bad, I knew the MBA only had 2, dunno why I lumped it together with the MBP anyway. Was just checking to see how much a M1 MBA/MBP would cost me and was surprised the MBP only had 2, and both of them being on the same side too. (I like having them on both sides so I can plug it in more conveniently.)

Yeah, it kind of threw me for a loop too, so don't feel too bad there. It does seem kind of weird to only have 2 but I'd assume it's a tradeoff so people don't skip the Pro to go to the Air for port amounts, etc.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
If you for-sure need BootCamp support, just get a 2018 15" Pro. That will be your sweet spot for price/new-enough and supported but also Wintel support.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaocaholica posted:

Can’t wait for people to start over clocking Apple desktop silicon.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Crunchy Black posted:

If you for-sure need BootCamp support, just get a 2018 15" Pro. That will be your sweet spot for price/new-enough and supported but also Wintel support.

I'll try to keep an eye out for one, thanks. The good keyboard is definitely a plus as well.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If that's on the bottom I'd kinda love it. Who gives a poo poo what I looks like on the bottom, so long as it's cool and silent.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A fan on the bottom you say

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The Mini is designed to vent heat out of the back, so really, the "top" is whichever side you want it to be.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

If that's on the bottom I'd kinda love it. Who gives a poo poo what I looks like on the bottom, so long as it's cool and silent.
I can think of one problem.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I mean, pop some lil feet on it or something? Or a small stand? As long as you can't see it who cares.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If the cpu never throttles then you’re not pushing it hard enough
If the cpu is throttling then your cooling solution isn’t stronk enough
Loop

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Crunchy Black posted:

Wasn't the 2018 still in the Bad Keyboard Twilight Zone? Like, yeah, Apple will extended-warranty fix them, but that's still a hassle. 2019 seems safer, but will cost more of course.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

A fan on the bottom you say

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

don’t photo doxx your husband, 3O

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any way to run something like Blackmagic Disk Speed test on a Time Machine drive?
I want to check the r/w speeds

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Do the new M1 MBA/MBP have the new keyboard at least or are they still the ones everyone complained about failing because of a single spec of dust?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do the new M1 MBA/MBP have the new keyboard at least or are they still the ones everyone complained about failing because of a single spec of dust?
New one.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BobHoward posted:

Wasn't the 2018 still in the Bad Keyboard Twilight Zone? Like, yeah, Apple will extended-warranty fix them, but that's still a hassle. 2019 seems safer, but will cost more of course.

Apple's keyboard repair extension covers pretty much every rMBP from 2017 to the last 2019 15-inch.

If you get the top case replaced you will get a slightly less crappy keyboard that has better resistance to foreign particles getting trapped inside.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

The Early 2020 Intel Macbook Air and MacBook Pros were the last machines to receive new Magic Keyboards, they've been completely gone from the lineup for nearly a year now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Binary Badger posted:

Apple's keyboard repair extension covers pretty much every rMBP from 2017 to the last 2019 15-inch.

If you get the top case replaced you will get a slightly less crappy keyboard that has better resistance to foreign particles getting trapped inside.

Do we even know that it was dust that was the culprit? Has it ever been definitively figured out?

I know that one guy did a whole thing where he immersed the keyboard in flour-fine dust and it suffered no ill effects, and also the various membranes Apple kept adding to the design never really helped. And then there was the theory that it was about metal fatigue and intricate little bits actually breaking.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
My 2018's keyboard was replaced a year ago and i've already got a malfunctioning N key (the old double-bounce problem) and I'm ready to just call this machine a sunk cost, write it off like a Powerbook 5300, and buy an ARM 16 inch when it comes out in the summer.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Do we even know that it was dust that was the culprit? Has it ever been definitively figured out?

I know that one guy did a whole thing where he immersed the keyboard in flour-fine dust and it suffered no ill effects, and also the various membranes Apple kept adding to the design never really helped. And then there was the theory that it was about metal fatigue and intricate little bits actually breaking.

Apple obviously would never confirm anything but they made two changes to the butterfly keyboard that seemed to address multiple issues. The second generation keyboard added a faux scissor mechanism to the keys that added some support to the brittle keypress mechanism. The third generation added a membrane that would bellow air out on keypresses so anything trapped underneath could be blown out from under the keycap. Both changes seems to have made failure less likely but they never got back to where the old keyboard used to be (and would never escape whatever bad press they generated, no matter how good they made it)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How did those poo poo keyboards get past testing? You’d think Apple with all its resources would have a few mock test environments like a college dorm room covered in Cheeto dust and whatever filth college kids live in.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Why would they have need to test the design perfection of Jony Ive?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's part of why I have to figure it wasn't dust. I bet they didn't even think mechanical fatigue was a thing they had to test to MTBF.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I decided it was finally time upgrade my 2015 MBA and bought a new 13" M1 model. I have a couple of questions:

1. I didn't realize it would only come with two USB-C ports and no regular USB ports. Until all my other devices switch over to USB-C, what's the best USB-A adapter or hub out there?

2. I was a bit surprised to see that the charge cord didn't come with the usual extension cable. I still have an extension cable I've been using with the 45W MagSafe 2 power adapter for my old MBA. Can I safely use that with the new USB-C MBA charge cord?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The AC extension cord should be rated for way more than your M1 MBA can take so you should be fine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shaocaholica posted:

How did those poo poo keyboards get past testing? You’d think Apple with all its resources would have a few mock test environments like a college dorm room covered in Cheeto dust and whatever filth college kids live in.

For me the main problem wasn't even the dust it was that typing on them felt like poo poo

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

MeinPanzer posted:

I decided it was finally time upgrade my 2015 MBA and bought a new 13" M1 model. I have a couple of questions:

1. I didn't realize it would only come with two USB-C ports and no regular USB ports. Until all my other devices switch over to USB-C, what's the best USB-A adapter or hub out there?

2. I was a bit surprised to see that the charge cord didn't come with the usual extension cable. I still have an extension cable I've been using with the 45W MagSafe 2 power adapter for my old MBA. Can I safely use that with the new USB-C MBA charge cord?

This should be required for all new MacBook purchases.

https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Upgrade...09710416&sr=8-6

Yes you can use the extension charge cord.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How do you transfer AppleCare+ from one owner to another? The Apple support page says you need the original receipt?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I thought it was just tied to the serial number.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202712

I ask because I’m looking to buy a used Apple thing with AC+ and I want to make sure the current owner is capable of actually transferring it correctly if I’m going to be paying for it.

E: oh it seems it does stay with the device. The only reason to transfer it is to prevent the previous owner from cancelling it after they sell it to you.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 4, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mu Zeta posted:

For me the main problem wasn't even the dust it was that typing on them felt like poo poo

Seconded. The one I have for work is still working fine but I hate hate HATE typing on it. I haven't felt something less ergonomic since the Atari 400's membrane keyboard

I just leave the typos in because it feels too gross even to go back and fix them

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol I remember a lot of people were like...."it's not that bad!"

Here I am still on pre retina unibody keyboard :feelsgood:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

My 2018's keyboard was replaced a year ago and i've already got a malfunctioning N key (the old double-bounce problem) and I'm ready to just call this machine a sunk cost, write it off like a Powerbook 5300, and buy an ARM 16 inch when it comes out in the summer.

Are they still doing free repairs? I have the same 2018 MBP and my “n” key is double typing occasionally 😞

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are they still doing free repairs? I have the same 2018 MBP and my “n” key is double typing occasionally 😞

Yes, I can get it replaced again, but I just can't be without my laptop for a week at the moment. I'm just sucking it up for the time being.