Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Tripe and all organ meats are the worst foods. Like, even in a good food like menu do, tripe is the worst thing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

rain dogs posted:

Tripe and all organ meats are the worst foods. Like, even in a good food like menu do, tripe is the worst thing about it.

Menudo causes this to be dismissed immediately and with prejudice.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

rain dogs posted:

Wrong!

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Is heart an organ meat? I know its an organ, but its muscle like the rest of "normal" meat, not weird like livers or whatever

anyway hearts are delicious, I could eat 1000 hearts

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

fizzymercy posted:

Menudo causes this to be dismissed immediately and with prejudice.

The tripe is the worst fuckin part of menudo. .

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Beef heart is super delicious and cheap for the amount of meat you get after cleaning and portioning it. They are 4-5 pounds unprocessed and I had steak for an entire week from just one. I had grilled chicken hearts at Brazilian restaurant once and they were fantastic. I can't do a lot of chicken livers or gizzards because they are just so rich.

Beef tongues and cheeks are also really delicious in tacos. I draw the line at eyes or stuff like kidneys or stomachs just because I'm afraid I'll get a lovely version of it. I'd love to try menudo but gently caress if I will know if it's good or not before I get it and the thought of getting bad menudo is honestly intimidating. Also I'd only eat an eye if I was legit starving, eyes are gross as hell.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

empty sea posted:

Beef heart is super delicious and cheap for the amount of meat you get after cleaning and portioning it. They are 4-5 pounds unprocessed and I had steak for an entire week from just one. I had grilled chicken hearts at Brazilian restaurant once and they were fantastic. I can't do a lot of chicken livers or gizzards because they are just so rich.

Beef tongues and cheeks are also really delicious in tacos. I draw the line at eyes or stuff like kidneys or stomachs just because I'm afraid I'll get a lovely version of it. I'd love to try menudo but gently caress if I will know if it's good or not before I get it and the thought of getting bad menudo is honestly intimidating. Also I'd only eat an eye if I was legit starving, eyes are gross as hell.

eye takes a long cook, singular morsel. fish eyes are often a textural contrast to the rest of the fish cuz they don't cook em separate from the fish, which takes a short cook comparatively

if you go to a solid quality mexican restaurant they will deal with the vagaries of menudo for you. it's a finicky dish if you're making it yourself

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

The tripe is the worst fuckin part of menudo. .

It is not. The worst part is when you run out of onions and salsa before the end of the bowl.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
welcome to something offal

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Liver's nice, I like liver. Never tried heart or tongue though.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Liver's nice, I like liver. Never tried heart or tongue though.

I love liver, and I strongly suggest that you try tongue.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

empty sea posted:

I had to eat a whole bowl of goats eyes once just to be polite. Was actually pretty good once I got over the fact that I was eating eyes.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Liverwurst is one of my fave things but i cant handle plain liver, its way too rich

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Bismuth posted:

Liverwurst is one of my fave things but i cant handle plain liver, its way too rich

this is why peeps make chopped liver and terrines in the first place

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When it comes to taboo meats I gotta stan insects again.

Silkworm pupae :discourse:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
When and why did organ meat become "weird" in america? People have always reacted strangely to me loving organs like im a cannibal or something

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bismuth posted:

When and why did organ meat become "weird" in america? People have always reacted strangely to me loving organs like im a cannibal or something

They don't serve it at Applebee's

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bismuth posted:

in the US, it's for foreigners and browns and poors

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

boar guy posted:

in the US, it's for foreigners and browns and poors

Oh, the members of my family that taught me to love them were all 2-3 of those things :smith:

Ohwell more goodies for me i guess

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bismuth posted:

Oh, the members of my family that taught me to love them were all 2-3 of those things :smith:

Ohwell more goodies for me i guess

im a pretty adventurous eater but i just can't get down with no tripe. i've never had it prepared in a way that made it appetizing and that includes menudo. no shade, though, eat what tastes good to you!

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

"Wieners".

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Bismuth posted:

tongue used to be more common, but it's gotten rare. American tastes have gotten both more bland and more adventurous, depending on which demographic you're talking about.

you can get good ingredients in grocery stores that would've been impossible to find 30 or 40 years ago, but the processed food freezers take up like 8 times the space of the veggies freezers.

I legit bought everything I need for sushi at the shittiest grocery store near me. it and the ok one near me both stock eg lamb and veal, but I think I'm the only one buying it.

people are still apparently cooking chitlins, but holy poo poo* does everybod sell those here

*heh

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Bismuth posted:

Marketing has a lot to do with it. For a similar example there was a big push in the 90s and 00s that "boneless all white meat chicken breast" was the mark of quality poultry, and then that pendulum has swung back to the point that now people are claiming that the chicken breast is a flavorless lump that will turn to dust in your mouth and it's dark meat or bust. Organ meats and "gross" stuff like tongue is the bad meat that they put in sausages.

I wonder if we'll get a marketing push that Turkey Legs are actually the next big culinary bandwagon you need to hop on now that the theme parks and fairs aren't pulling the crowds that they traditionally would for no particular reason.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Ill eat hearts and maybe liver, but sorry tripe just looks super gnarly to me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DreadUnknown posted:

Ill eat hearts and maybe liver, but sorry tripe just looks super gnarly to me.

Cook it in a soup

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bismuth posted:

I would expect it's one of those 50s things where organ meats are more complicated to deal with so all the return to normalcy stuff downplayed it in favor of more canned foods and more microwaves.

The atomic age!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My understanding is that US white folk cuisine got hit with a triple whammy. The depression led to people making mayo/pb desperation sandwiches, german cuisine, native to the largest group of american white people, got mostly abandoned due to the wars, and then after the war microwaves and frozen and canned food exploded because they were seen as trendy and futuristic.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My mom always talked about tongue as the thing you had to eat if you couldn't afford "real meat". I'm sure her parents didn't do the best job cooking it, but the idea always seemed gross to me. I eventually tried lengua tacos though, and they're spectacular.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QwNBqHbyc

E: wrong thread but w/e

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I'm so glad I got to have really good beef tongue before I got allergic to it. What a spectacular meat.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tongue is the most-worked skeletal muscle in the body, it's really amazing if cooked correctly and brutally dire if not

really organ meats in general is a way to trade cooking ability and time to have reduced prices but still be delicious. what do we have less of in modernity? cooking ability and time!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

I love liver, and I strongly suggest that you try tongue.

I'm not sure where I would get it that isn't in a tin from the wholesale butchers I once worked at. Liver is in the supermarket, at least.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

more falafel please posted:

My mom always talked about tongue as the thing you had to eat if you couldn't afford "real meat". I'm sure her parents didn't do the best job cooking it, but the idea always seemed gross to me. I eventually tried lengua tacos though, and they're spectacular.

Meats like tongue, lungs, hearts etc. were seen as "stopgap" products you would buy when there was no "real" meat by the generation of my parents who grew up and lived under Communism. People stopped buying them as soon as they weren't forced to. So the American experience is by no means a unique one. It just is harder to make good meals out of offal and it's a big factor when both adults in your household work.

I still love liver and tripe, bt that's about all the offal you can find in a supermarket these days.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Tongue is great but the only way I can get it is by buying a whole cow.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

The Bloop posted:

They don't serve it at Applebee's

The closest to a mainstream chain i've seen it at is cracker barrel with their fried chicken livers which are really good, probably the only thing I consistently enjoy on their menu.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if there's obscure offal you want, bougie korean supermarts or bougie mexican supermarts is where it's at

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The closest to a mainstream chain i've seen it at is cracker barrel with their fried chicken livers which are really good, probably the only thing I consistently enjoy on their menu.

I really like their blackened catfish sandwich, though I haven't been in years. It has bread and butter pickles and they just.. work for some reason.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Wrong thread whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Gizzards are pretty common in the south and good