Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Am I completely screwed out on getting the CK2 bonus cosmetic stuff like beards and silly hats? The ones you got from the not-achievement thingies? Couldn't even get the first one unlocked when they were a thing, and I see it ended up being a massive list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
They're going to add them for all eventually. Also as I understand you can only apply those in the barbershop, I don't remember seeing them on auto-generated characters. Makes them kinda pointless.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ilitarist posted:

They're going to add them for all eventually. Also as I understand you can only apply those in the barbershop, I don't remember seeing them on auto-generated characters. Makes them kinda pointless.

That's good, but what a shame. Oh well.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I'm an emperor and one of my vassal dukes is set to inherit a kingdom, which will make him independent. IIRC, in CK2 they still would have been my vassal right? They only would have gone independent if I was just a king as well.

I could avoid this by giving him a kingdom, but obviously I don't want to give him that much power.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm an emperor and one of my vassal dukes is set to inherit a kingdom, which will make him independent. IIRC, in CK2 they still would have been my vassal right? They only would have gone independent if I was just a king as well.

I could avoid this by giving him a kingdom, but obviously I don't want to give him that much power.

I think he'd still be your vassal if he was going to stay a duke, but I don't think you can have a king be a vassal under another king.

E: never mind, you're an emperor....I don't know then

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PancakeTransmission posted:

You don't really need to remember most. Your Strong Vassals will be marked with an icon, you can click through almost every time someone is mentioned in an event to find out who they are. I tend to remember characters based on their appearance rather than name anyway. Since some of the titles/naming for the non-euro cultures are a bit weird for me.

This makes sense and is kinda leaning toward how I was intending to play anyway. The only thing is that I wanted to be able to have some familiarity in case, say Connor Macleod is an uppity vassal I need to keep an eye on, but his son Conner McLeod is a cool dude whose fine and ok. I want to be able to go “oh, that rear end in a top hat is at it again” instead of ”is this the same rear end in a top hat?”

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It'd be great for the game to keep track of some history. It does so through relationship modifiers and a clever title system (I mean those subtitles like "your lover, vassal and champion") but I still miss an opportunity to see a quick character history and description. Also that character description is less than I expected. All those "cowardly atheist" do very little to tell me about the character, especially with how many atheists, adventurers and cowards I see.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
How do claims work with confederate partition? The non-primary heirs seem to get claims on everything but what determines if the primary heir gets claims on the titles lost on succession? Do you get claims only for the titles created by the succession process and not titles that existed prior to succession? Just had a multiplayer game with a friend and he got claims to the split titles and I didn't and we couldn't figure out why. Same laws on both realms.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

binge crotching posted:

Make sure to grab Dagon on the coast, for the awesome Shwedagon Pagoda. I like starting as the count of Dagon just for that thing.

Thanks for this! I just noticed. Are these special buildings only for Holy Sites? Does creating a new religion create new sites for these? I never made the link before that holy sites = money making building.

Hellioning posted:

You don't really need to remember very many names. If people show up in events you can usually click them to go to their character panel.

The only names I bother remembering are my children so I can just look at the title's line of succession in order to find out which counties I'm losing to partition.

lol @ remembering the names of your kids past the third one. my current king has twelve children. the first three are meticulously raised with the most proper care, while the other nine were basically given to the nanny because I couldn't give a gently caress. Just like real life! -edit- and don't get me started on these far off dynasty members. I've married into so many counties, duchies and kingdoms that after two generations I'm now at 110 dynasty members mapwide. Next step: one thousand!!!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Havana Affair posted:

How do claims work with confederate partition? The non-primary heirs seem to get claims on everything but what determines if the primary heir gets claims on the titles lost on succession? Do you get claims only for the titles created by the succession process and not titles that existed prior to succession? Just had a multiplayer game with a friend and he got claims to the split titles and I didn't and we couldn't figure out why. Same laws on both realms.

The primary heir should get claims on the top level titles inherited by secondary heirs. I have never seen it fail to give those claims in single player.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
That's how I was thinking it's supposed to work too. Maybe it was a bug?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
How long do you have to wait in between choosing different life style focuses?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It will tell you exactly when you can change when you've done it, but iirc three years.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Popoto posted:

Thanks for this! I just noticed. Are these special buildings only for Holy Sites? Does creating a new religion create new sites for these? I never made the link before that holy sites = money making building.

Every holy site has a building that can be built, but some of them have unique buildings that are either buildable or pre-existing. Here is a list of them:
https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Special_buildings#Unique_holy_buildings

Some of them are better than others, but the Shwedagon Pagoda is one of the better IMO, since it only requires Eastern Religion instead of specifically a holy site like most of them do. This means it works even if you're Zoroastrian, Jain, whatever.

There are also mines, which give an amazing amount of gold. The only one in the south-east is in the barony of Ellur in Vengipura on the east coast of India. Worth taking if you're in the neighborhood.

Havana Affair posted:

In my experience, you get claims on titles that were pre-existing, but newly created titles you don't get any.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Midgetskydiver posted:

5 years

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Trevor Hale posted:

One thing about not needing to remember someone is that occasionally you *will* remember someone and the game gets almost moving. The knight who slew your enemy in battle so you give him a county and then forty years later your character’s kid gets invited to a feast at his place. And you go and you have a good time with this old count who helped your dead dad.

It’s why I love the game so much.

I named my 5th son ‘rear end in a top hat’ one time because he really hosed up my inheritance plan but then I solved it by giving him some random county. Like 100 years later his descendant was some Duke named rear end in a top hat who ended up as one of my powerful vassals.

I do like how families tend to use the same first names to make remembering them easier, but sometimes it can have humorous results

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is the kingdom that he is set to inherit de jure part of another formed empire?

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 3, 2021

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Midgetskydiver posted:

This might be just me misunderstanding the tutorial originally, but it should also be emphasized that you can also switch to another lifestyle, not just between the three focuses on one lifestyle, without resetting the points.

I found this out when my super-educator kept getting new skill points even after he had maxed out education and I started to wonder why that keeps happening because he should be at max level now. Such a simple thing but somehow this went completely past me the first couple of runs.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 3, 2021

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

chaosapiant posted:

This makes sense and is kinda leaning toward how I was intending to play anyway. The only thing is that I wanted to be able to have some familiarity in case, say Connor Macleod is an uppity vassal I need to keep an eye on, but his son Conner McLeod is a cool dude whose fine and ok. I want to be able to go “oh, that rear end in a top hat is at it again” instead of ”is this the same rear end in a top hat?”

ilitarist posted:

It'd be great for the game to keep track of some history. It does so through relationship modifiers and a clever title system (I mean those subtitles like "your lover, vassal and champion") but I still miss an opportunity to see a quick character history and description. Also that character description is less than I expected. All those "cowardly atheist" do very little to tell me about the character, especially with how many atheists, adventurers and cowards I see.

I would like to take this opportunity to once again bemoan the loss of the CK2 outliner and the ability to fine-tune exactly what (and relative to who) appears in the event log, including what auto-pauses the game so you can do something about it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tippis posted:

I would like to take this opportunity to once again bemoan the loss of the CK2 outliner and the ability to fine-tune exactly what (and relative to who) appears in the event log, including what auto-pauses the game so you can do something about it.

Does “pinning” still serve this function?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

chaosapiant posted:

Does “pinning” still serve this function?

Not nearly to the same degree. Or, well… yes, pinning still puts someone on the outliner — the problem is that the outliner does nothing of value with the pinned characters, and that's the main thing that is missing compared to the immense usefulness of the outliner (and thus with pinning people) in CK2.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

Is the kingdom that he is set to inherit de jure part of another formed empire?

Dejure part of the Byzantine empire, but not a vassal. Solved my problem by pressing the duke's claim to that throne. Does that -25 for breaking an alliance ever go away?

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 4, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Finally started playing this.

CK2 is my favorite game ever and I got thousands of hours on it, so I can say Im a CK veteran

So far Im loving it: its gorgeous, the new map system, with changing the map mode automatically depending on zoom, is amazingly well thought; the new hooks and intrigue system are a great improvement of what we had on CK2; I loved the new dinasty mechanics and how the game is more focused on that than before

At the same time, I missing some stuff from CK2. Like that screen we had with a tree with all vassals and their strength; the ledgers; the option to link an army to an allied army; the conclave council mechanics; the detailed laws instead of "crown authority". There game picks up where CK2 were on most stuff, but it also seems to have rolled back many details and mechanics. And the interface is kinda bad, I can see it got a long way to go

Also, what happened to the regencies? My liege and several neightbours are children but they dont seem to have a regent

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ilitarist posted:

EU:Rome had this and even though it was presented in a pretty rough manner it was one of its best features and allowed for some pretty amazing character stories to shine through.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

Finally started playing this.

CK2 is my favorite game ever and I got thousands of hours on it, so I can say Im a CK veteran

So far Im loving it: its gorgeous, the new map system, with changing the map mode automatically depending on zoom, is amazingly well thought; the new hooks and intrigue system are a great improvement of what we had on CK2; I loved the new dinasty mechanics and how the game is more focused on that than before

At the same time, I missing some stuff from CK2. Like that screen we had with a tree with all vassals and their strength; the ledgers; the option to link an army to an allied army; the conclave council mechanics; the detailed laws instead of "crown authority". There game picks up where CK2 were on most stuff, but it also seems to have rolled back many details and mechanics. And the interface is kinda bad, I can see it got a long way to go

Also, what happened to the regencies? My liege and several neightbours are children but they dont seem to have a regent

Regency isn't in the game right now. I think it's pretty safe to assume that it along with law mechanics and the role of the council will be revisited in a future expansion. Also they added the ability to attach armies in the latest major patch, it's the button that looks like a chain.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Various Meat Products posted:

Regency isn't in the game right now. I think it's pretty safe to assume that it along with law mechanics and the role of the council will be revisited in a future expansion. Also they added the ability to attach armies in the latest major patch, it's the button that looks like a chain.

I really hope they take their time with regency; I love playing as a child-ruler, because it's just hilariously ridiculous, and thus great, to arrange marriages for myself, my mother, and my sisters while I am myself a year old.

Conversely I hope they improve the AI's armies' use of chaining to me, because it seems like they only do it when I don't want it :j:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any good goon let’s plays for this game, preferably SSLPs?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Shouldn't I be able to press any unpressed claims, so long as the courtier in question is male?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Various Meat Products posted:

Thanks, I didint noticed it

edit: I find amazing that CK3 runs faster and smoother in my PC than CK2 ran

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 5, 2021

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Found a random AI that managed to enact the Strengthen Bloodline decision, I didn't think the AI would ever do that.

Elias_Maluco posted:

edit: I find amazing that CK3 runs faster and smoother in my PC than CK2 ran

They did such a good job with speed, it is pretty amazing at how good it runs. On my laptop with a crappy video card, notifications and things might take a few seconds to pop up, but the rest of the game runs really well.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Norse Zoroastrians in Burma? This game ... :allears:

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011
Any tips on how to get rid of a theocratic realm priest? I have an all-star council at the moment but my priest is an absolute embarrassment :dawkins101:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

happyphage posted:

Any tips on how to get rid of a theocratic realm priest? I have an all-star council at the moment but my priest is an absolute embarrassment :dawkins101:

I suggest telling them you have a new cask of fortified wine that you'd like him to try, if he'll accompany you to the cellar, or perhaps giving them free spiders.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Moon Slayer posted:

I still want to do a game as Norses where I gently caress off to a nice remote region and cut off the old Scandinavian lands.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

happyphage posted:

Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest??

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

What was the trick for sending them out to educate someone else’s kid? I forgot the right steps to do that

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I think they patched that out last patch.

Just imprison them and eat the cost.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

He's descended from an adventurer it looks like, but the religion is my custom everything is legal + equal rights offshoot of Khurmazdism. The south-east is the only bit of Norse left in the world, since it's already split into Danish/Norwegian/Swedish.

Popoto posted:

I still want to do a game as Norses where I gently caress off to a nice remote region and cut off the old Scandinavian lands.

Longships is such a nice cultural innovation that I feel like this might be one of the more OP starts. Start in West Africa, and then once the culture splits you'll be the only Norse in the game, letting you pick up West African Canoes for a -100% embarkation modifier. I'm guessing there is a floor so it won't be free, but it'll still be dirt cheap.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nah it's free. I got there as a Slovienskan Russian with the culture spread into Finland to get longboats, and then the Eugen holy site to knock the cost to zero.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Shouldn't I be able to press any unpressed claims, so long as the courtier in question is male?

Am I wrong about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

Am I wrong about this?

Can you post a screenshot of whatever the part of the interface is not letting you declare war? Preferably with a mouseover of any exclamation point tooltips. And make sure the guy with claims is a courtier and not a guest.