Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Against my better judgment, I watched it. As background watching, it's not terrible I guess. Instead of Chibnall having awful ideas, he's got some pretty interesting ones that are instantly discarded. Daleks as cops? Whatever! Dalek civil war? Blink and you'll miss it. A companion getting controlled by a Dalek? Never mind, the Daleks are defeated by a gun that makes square holes except when they come into contact with a Dalek, apparently.

• With the episodes being so infrequent, each and every time I'm delighted about how good the opening titles are and how bad the Himalayan salt crystals in the TARDIS are.
  • The Doctor giving grief to Jack about committing crimes to get into the prison is infuriating. I hate this loving hall monitor Doctor.
  • Graham and Ryan departing gets all of what, 30 seconds of setup? But they're such empty characters who even gives a poo poo.
  • "Fam" is so stupid and if anybody were ever inclined to watch a single one of these episodes a second time, it would age like milk.

I think I'm officially done with this show until Chibnall is gone. But even then, what kind of talent is this show cultivating? The ability to cram Doctor Who into a Law & Order style format? Whoever comes after is probably going to be pretty similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The first question. The question that must never be answered, hidden in plain sight. The question you’ve been running from all your life. loving who? loving who? loving WHO.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Wiping out the Time Lords was a bad move too, after RTD and Moffat spent ages on the Doctor overcoming war guilt, and looking at his complex relationship off screen. Moffat's run ended with the Time Lords back on the board, but as a shadow of their former selves, wondering which direction they should take their society in. That's interesting, and offers some good opportunities for story telling and exploring the Doctor's character!

Then the Master is "lol I killed them". It took the Daleks, like what, 400 years to destroy the Time Lords in a massive war that broke the universe, and the Master killed them...offscreen. By himself. Because the Doctor's new backstory upset him?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

OldMemes posted:

Then the Master is "lol I killed them". It took the Daleks, like what, 400 years to destroy the Time Lords in a massive war that broke the universe, and the Master killed them...offscreen. By himself. Because the Doctor's new backstory upset him?

I mean, the doctors new backstory irritated me too, but I just posted about it in the doctor who thread. If someone just bought the master an account it would have saved a lot of casualties.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

And the Doctor's reaction to everybody she and her former selves so beautifully saved? Just kind of miffed and then immediately moves on to listen to more of the obvious lies the Master is telling.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That sucked but I couldn't be happier to lose companions.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'll miss Walsh, but he did tend to overshadow everyone else, so it may be a blessing in disguise?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m a little miffed that they’re instantly replacing two companions, one of whom was an older white male, with another older white male. Gotta make sure we tick that demographic.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Rochallor posted:

• With the episodes being so infrequent, each and every time I'm delighted about how good the opening titles are and how bad the Himalayan salt crystals in the TARDIS are.

When they first got back to the Tardis and the lights were all turned off, I honestly thought they were just in another part of the prison.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rochallor posted:

• Graham and Ryan departing gets all of what, 30 seconds of setup? But they're such empty characters who even gives a poo poo.

To be fair, the scene with just the Doctor and Ryan was the setup for that. That conversation made it super obvious that Ryan was gonna leave, and that in turn means Graham was definitely gonna leave too.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The scene with them at the house-TARDIS was the setup, since Ryan was reluctant there too, and it was obvious he'd moved on with his life

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Vinylshadow posted:

The scene with them at the house-TARDIS was the setup, since Ryan was reluctant there too, and it was obvious he'd moved on with his life

Well TBF Yazz was projecting a lot of really unhealthy behaviour that would make me :ohdear: too

e. I really liked that Tardis interior, should have just gone with it

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Full disclosure for me, my favorite doctor was tom baker mostly because I watched him on pbs back in the 1980s.

Another aspect of old who, was because FX cost money they would be used sparingly and the time would be filled with more dialog.

Plus each story would have multiple episodes and cliff hangers, thus allowing longer acts to set up locations, characters stakes etc.

Many many years ago I was annoyed with the david tenant doctor because of all the Fan girls going "SQUEE" and "SQUEE" about him. I wished for something different

So when they got capaldi I was kinda excited figured we d have a more somber doctor, correct me if I am wrong but a friend explained to me that the issue with capaldi was a matter of the writers recycling a stack of scripts written for matt smith. Which makes the whole rocking out with a guitar on top of a tank scene make alot of sense.

The bad taste of capaldi then jumping to jodi, who I cant even get a pulse on have really just turned me off.

I have an indian friend who really enjoyed the Pakistan episode, and while the story didnt really do it for me I was able to appreciate a historical episode.

The rosa parks episode coulda been so much more interesting if they merged it with the drunk history episode about her.

As for this like other posters have pointed out interesting ideas that come and go too quickly. I do like that there is a range of companions though.

I wonder what the next season will be like.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

"I gotta help me mates now, but we don't have the budget to show any of 'em."

And on another subject:
Old series
"GRENDEL? You forgot your loving hat!"

New series
"Geronimo!"
"Allons y!"
"Oh, for God's sake. Gallifrey loving stands!"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The guitar was definitely a Capaldi thing, he used to be in a band with Craig Ferguson.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah I mean dude who was in a punk band gets to play the guitar on screen if he wants, and it led to one of my favorite moments of his run: Playing Clara's theme as he tries to remember her.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do I have the loving right?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Slower! Slower! Concentrate on one loving thing!" to "You're making me loving giddy!"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
"You were loving great. And so was I."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Who loving knows, eh? Who. loving. knows? :haw:"

Oh wait, sorry that's what Tom actually said in the first take.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I've not been nearly as down on Chibnall as a lot of the folks in this thread but this most recent episode was the apotheosis of every single one of his flaws as a showrunner and despite individual parts of the episode working very well the way it comes together is a loving mess. It's not as strong "first draft energy" as say, WW84, but it feels like it needed a few more rewrites to make it even come close to working. It's a real bummer too because the cast, as usual, does a great job with what they're given but what they were given this time in particular was some pretty thin gruel.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Even when I don't like brand new Doctor Who, it pumps me up to rewatch the show.
I put on Boomtown and it's GREAT.

You know everything you need to know about Mickey, Jack, Rose, The Doctor, their relationships and even their backstories
as earthbound/scifi characters in their very first scene. I still feel like I know nothing about the current crew of companions.

It's astounding how RTD is good at communicating different, dynamic characters in one single scene.

Of course, it's also very silly in a way that will always grate on some fans, but the characters are so good.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bring back RTD, I haven't heard about him doing things recently so I assume he's available.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Yannick_B posted:

Even when I don't like brand new Doctor Who, it pumps me up to rewatch the show.
I put on Boomtown and it's GREAT.

You know everything you need to know about Mickey, Jack, Rose, The Doctor, their relationships and even their backstories
as earthbound/scifi characters in their very first scene. I still feel like I know nothing about the current crew of companions.

It's astounding how RTD is good at communicating different, dynamic characters in one single scene.

Of course, it's also very silly in a way that will always grate on some fans, but the characters are so good.

The bit where they're high-fiving each other whilst explainig the Rift to Mickey is just so good. Especially his look of utter despair.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

marktheando posted:

Bring back RTD, I haven't heard about him doing things recently so I assume he's available.

He’s got a show called It’s a Sin about to start in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqd2Jq_w80c

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ntre-of-a-drama

And just count how many Doctor Who toys he’s got on the shelf next to the baftas
Nerd

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Once again, as before, I'm willing to take on the role of showrunner. I'll do it for a very reasonable salary but I want to be able to work remotely. I have no qualifications other than not being in love with the smell of my own farts.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Say what you will about this episode but I still am somewhat shocked that they had the restraint not to have have Jodie ask “Doctor Who?” during the scene with Ryan when she was questioning herself.

That this where my expectations for the show are, is probably not a good sign though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cerv posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ntre-of-a-drama

And just count how many Doctor Who toys he’s got on the shelf next to the baftas
Nerd

Plus all those Axos masks he has for some reason! :haw:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rumours are coming out that Jodie’s resigned/stepping down as the Doctor. I mean, the current one filming would be her 3rd, and if the pattern stays true...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that sucks, she's certainly not the issue with the current show. Hopefully it is just a rumor and nothing more.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The_Doctor posted:

Rumours are coming out that Jodie’s resigned/stepping down as the Doctor. I mean, the current one filming would be her 3rd, and if the pattern stays true...

Like, reasonably reliable sources, or the same clickpeddlers who've made a "JODIE TO STEP DOWN AS THE DOCTOR AND BBC TO ISSUE AND APOLOGY FOR CASTING A WOMAN IN THE FIRST PLACE!" video every year for the last three? Which my phone keeps recommending me because it doesnt have an option for "While I am interested in Doctor Who, I am not interested in clickbait or misogyny".

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-star-jodie-whittaker-23255685

Jodie Whittaker is quitting at the end of the next Doctor Who series, when she will regenerate into the 14th Time Lord.

The 38-year-old has told bosses she intends to stick to the traditional rule of leaving after three stints in the TARDIS, like the majority of her predecessors.

One insider said: “It’s all very hush-hush but it is known on set that Jodie is leaving and they are gearing up for a regeneration.

“Her departure is top secret but at some point over the coming months the arrival of the 14th Doctor will need to be filmed. It’s very exciting.”

Insiders claim Whittaker is keen to take on other roles.

The source said she will follow co-stars Bradley Walsh and Tosin Cole out of the door later this year, but ­showrunner Chris Chibnall is to remain.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Well that sucks if true. Both that shes going and that Chibnall isnt.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Well, it's in the Daily Mirror, so take that as you will. They're not exactly the most reliable news source, but they also don't usually entirely make poo poo up wholecloth.

On the other hand, there's no actual source they're quoting here.

E: Oops, link: https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-star-jodie-whittaker-23255685

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

SiKboy posted:

Well that sucks if true. Both that shes going and that Chibnall isnt.

I'd prefer is Chibnall went.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, remove Chibnall, keep Jodie :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Well poo poo, I guess we’ll have to wait until a multi-Doc/anniversary special to finally see Jodie written by a decent showrunner.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Assuming it’s true, it’ll be sad to see her go, but it’s not the least bit surprising at this point to see a Doctor leave after three seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The biggest issue ends up being the legacy of Jodie's characterization under Chinball and how that's retained under another showrunner. Imagine her Doctor getting one last series, under a platonically good showrunner. What parts of her characterization would be considered worth keeping under their new, temporary tenure?