Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scientastic posted:

I got given a sous vide stick for Christmas. What’s the first thing I should do with it?

Thanks for the tips everyone, I made a steak yesterday and it was not only the best steak I’ve ever cooked, it was the most stress-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

In America, sure. Other countries do exist you know.

Also its shepHERD. As in a herd. Of sheep.

:goonsay:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

feedmegin posted:

In America, sure. Other countries do exist you know.

Also its shepHERD. As in a herd. Of sheep.

The General Questions thread is not a place for kinkshaming. If sheep get him hard, who are we to judge?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Happiness Commando posted:

The General Questions thread is not a place for kinkshaming. If sheep get him hard, who are we to judge?

sheps get me hard. If you're going to be pedantic, at least have the decency to lean into it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

allow at least 20 minutes for your pie to cool before loving it

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I have a recipe for a thickened bulgogi sauce to use as a glaze on a burger. The recipe calls for 17 fluid oz. marinade thickened with 1/2 T xanthan gum, but based on my limited experience with xanthan gum, that has to be way too much, right?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I don't think that's necessarily too much, it'd definitely be thick but not ridiculously so. You could definitely start with less and add more if needed, xantham gum is pretty easy to incorporate.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

We have half a magnum of red wine left over from new year's. Any dishes that call for large amounts of wine? I don't see us drinking wine in the next week :v:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fruits of the sea posted:

We have half a magnum of red wine left over from new year's. Any dishes that call for large amounts of wine? I don't see us drinking wine in the next week :v:

Coq au Vin.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Boeuf bourguignon, or buy a ton of bones and make demi-glace.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks, boeuf bourguignon is delicious!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Coq au vin is also a good shout, but unless you’re trying to subdue the macho sweatiness of a big old rooster (not always easy to find) it seems like a waste of good wine.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Whenever I have way too much leftover red wine (which is honestly a very rare event), I put it in an ice cube tray and freeze it. Then, when I want a bit of wine flavour in a meal during the week, I bust out a wine cube.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Scientastic posted:

Whenever I have way too much leftover red wine (which is honestly a very rare event), I put it in an ice cube tray and freeze it. Then, when I want a bit of wine flavour in a meal during the week, I bust out a wine cube.

This sounds like a great idea for deglazing too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You could reduce it to like a red wine concentrate and freeze that into cubes.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you have any vinegar with a mother you could add it in to your wine and wait a few months and have some red wine vinegar.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You could always drink the wine.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

Well, 6 seasonings (1 hour each) using grapeseed oil in my oven didn't do jackshit. The pan was still sticky. There is a good chance that my (table top) oven is to blame as it tops out at 450 F, and grapeseed oil has a smoke point of 420 F - maybe the oven's temperature is slightly off.

I am now trying it using my induction burner.

In 2019, I would not have expected that this would be one of the more exciting things I would be doing in 2020.

12 seasonings, 5 minutes each, on my induction burner (set at 1000 W) finally gave me a non-stick pan.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

is there a goon-recommended cooking scale? I would like to begin measuring my ingredients more precisely.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ketchup vs catsup posted:

is there a goon-recommended cooking scale? I would like to begin measuring my ingredients more precisely.

I think p much everyone recommends the Escali one on Amazon. I have it, and it's pretty good and reasonably priced.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

I think p much everyone recommends the Escali one on Amazon. I have it, and it's pretty good and reasonably priced.

And it comes in blue. Sold! Thanks.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sounds like it’s too late, but the OXO one is fantastic. The display pulls out on a cord so you can still read it with a big bowl or sheet tray on it, which was always a pain point with my Escali.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Any tips to make a fried spinach pie ? I am eating one now and I have to start making this on my own

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cheese Thief posted:

Any tips to make a fried spinach pie ? I am eating one now and I have to start making this on my own

is the spinach, the pie, or both fried

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just imagined a deep fried spanikopita and got really excited.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Casu Marzu posted:

is the spinach, the pie, or both fried

I don't know, I didn't ask.
I looked up Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie), and that's what it looks like. Well might as well bake it. I will maybe use Almond flour, I guess. Coconut flour just falls apart under any kind of topping weight.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For spanakopita, probably the best thing is to just buy the dough you'd need to make it. Usually it's made with phyllo dough, which is a paper-thin dough that you brush with butter between layers. That gives you the extremely flaky crust. It may be difficult to track down, I know I can get it at my local Euro-centric marketplace, but I don't know offhand how common it is at large-chain groceries. It's most often sold frozen, in a roll.

If it's not super flaky, then you may have something else other than spanakopita.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
I got a marble mortar and pestle for christmas and I'm wondering how I can avoid it becoming something I let sit in the bottom of the cupboard except for the rare occasion when I have enough basil on hand to make pesto. Any suggestions for regular use?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

lurker2006 posted:

I got a marble mortar and pestle for christmas and I'm wondering how I can avoid it becoming something I let sit in the bottom of the cupboard except for the rare occasion when I have enough basil on hand to make pesto. Any suggestions for regular use?

Start cooking Indian and/or Thai.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

lurker2006 posted:

It's really good for grinding up salt small enough to thoroughly coat popcorn, and I believe that whole spices freshly ground in a pestle are better but I don't know if that is real or just my feeling.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
tbh I hate making pesto in mine, it's so tedious and messy.

I use mine for spice grinding mostly. sometimes I'll use it for grinding up toasted rice for Thai food

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Eeyo posted:

For spanakopita, probably the best thing is to just buy the dough you'd need to make it. Usually it's made with phyllo dough, which is a paper-thin dough that you brush with butter between layers. That gives you the extremely flaky crust. It may be difficult to track down, I know I can get it at my local Euro-centric marketplace, but I don't know offhand how common it is at large-chain groceries. It's most often sold frozen, in a roll.

If it's not super flaky, then you may have something else other than spanakopita.

I'm just going to get Almond or Coconut flour, put egg on it and some seasonings, maybe cream cheese, and real cheese, make it consistent, put a lot of spinach on it, wrap it up llike a burrito, and stick it in the oven for however long. I'm sure it'll taste fine. It'll be like the pizzas i made but without the toppings (just the spinach) so many it won't fall apart this time.

What else goes good with Spinach? Maybe artichoke and tomato?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Corla Plankun posted:

It's really good for grinding up salt small enough to thoroughly coat popcorn, and I believe that whole spices freshly ground in a pestle are better but I don't know if that is real or just my feeling.

Freshly ground spices are almost always much better than already ground; the only exceptions I can think of are cinnamon, where I don't think it makes much difference because it's so strong, and cloves, because once you grind cloves in something it will taste like cloves forever.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Cheese Thief posted:

I'm just going to get Almond or Coconut flour, put egg on it and some seasonings, maybe cream cheese, and real cheese, make it consistent, put a lot of spinach on it, wrap it up llike a burrito, and stick it in the oven for however long. I'm sure it'll taste fine. It'll be like the pizzas i made but without the toppings (just the spinach) so many it won't fall apart this time.

What else goes good with Spinach? Maybe artichoke and tomato?

Why would you do this? That's not going to be good at all.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

fizzymercy posted:

Why would you do this? That's not going to be good at all.

oh lol I didn't see who posted that

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Eeyo posted:

You can get normal phyllo at just about every large chain grocery I've looked in and you can get vegan phyllo at Whole Foods

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Recommendations for getting smoother pureed soups? My veggie soups and borsch are never as smooth as I'd like. I have a vitamix which I used to blend the soups in batches, do I just need to let it blend for longer (which I guess would involve letting the soup chill down a lot more before going into the blender)?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

captkirk posted:

Recommendations for getting smoother pureed soups? My veggie soups and borsch are never as smooth as I'd like. I have a vitamix which I used to blend the soups in batches, do I just need to let it blend for longer (which I guess would involve letting the soup chill down a lot more before going into the blender)?

Some possibilities:

Let them cool a little first

Blend on HIGH

Blend longer

Blend batches that are only halfway up the pitcher and spatula down the sides then stir multiple times. With a full pitcher, a bunch of liquid stays up at the top, even with a visible vortex. (IMO this is your most likely culprit.)

Strain and separate some liquid off first and blend mostly the solids, adding just enough liquid to vortex. Thicker stuff blends more easily than thinner stuff. Ideally, it’s so thick that it barely vortexes on high.

If all else fails, get a chinois/tami and pass through after.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Are you raising it to the max setting? That should make it pretty drat smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If it’s not smooth enough from blending, push it through a fine mesh sieve. I only ever bother doing this if I have company, because if I’m cooking just for me it’s too much effort, but it does make for a super smooth soup.