Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

iOS is NOT linux!

It's derived from Mac OS X, which in turn is a continuation of NeXTStep, a UNIX-like OS running on the Mach microkernel. linux is a monolithic kernel cooked up in a crazy finn's garage and patched six ways from sunday by a bunch of mega corps that are too cheap to properly license a real UNIX.

lol yes, just go license a real unix that's being actively developed and not counting down the days to eol in maintenance mode while organizations migrate off of it. lots of choices like macos and, uh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RFC2324 posted:

HP/UX?

Also a linux

Maximum Leader posted:

aix was the original linux

PCjr sidecar posted:

you’re thinking of a/ux

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

The_Franz posted:

lol yes, just go license a real unix that's being actively developed and not counting down the days to eol in maintenance mode while organizations migrate off of it. lots of choices like macos and, uh...

IBM could have had their own UNIX. they are cowards

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
redhat?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Idk I'm just postin'

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

they do. it's called z/OS® Unix System Services™, and it provides a fully POSIX-compliant software environment on any z/OS LPAR!

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

carry on then posted:

they do. it's called z/OS® Unix System Services™, and it provides a fully POSIX-compliant software environment on any z/OS LPAR!

they still sell AIX too. often large mainframes at many orgs do have a lot of linux vms on their ibm mainframes, they've offered it for decades now and it's fairly mature

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

carry on then posted:

Last I checked, which was before ibm bought RH, they actually recommended RH over their own product.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Last I checked, which was before ibm bought RH, they actually recommended RH over their own product.

you can run redhat on z/os, they developed a custom version for their systems w/ them

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

they still sell AIX too. often large mainframes at many orgs do have a lot of linux vms on their ibm mainframes, they've offered it for decades now and it's fairly mature

isn't aix power-only as of the latest version, which is now 5 years old?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

The_Franz posted:

isn't aix power-only as of the latest version, which is now 5 years old?

you need their hardware to run it, yes. i think it's possible to virtualize but it's uncommon. although you never really see AIX outside of big commercial operations, it's known for being really well integrated and incredibly stable. i wouldn't say it's fun to administer it or easy to use but it's great for mission critical stuff and what have you, it works well

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Broken Machine posted:

you need their hardware to run it, yes. i think it's possible to virtualize but it's uncommon. although you never really see AIX outside of big commercial operations, it's known for being really well integrated and incredibly stable. i wouldn't say it's fun to administer it or easy to use but it's great for mission critical stuff and what have you, it works well

there's also OS/400 i5/OS IBM i which runs on powerpc but is a totally different OS from aix. i've had the mixed pleasure of working on a product that runs on all three among others.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Broken Machine posted:

I've always heard AIX is actually pretty easy, smit(ty) does most things for you and actually shows you how to do poo poo manually if you pay attention.

I've never done more than shoulder surf it tho, so grain of salt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

my only experience with aix was getting it to run on an old IBM F80 rs/6000 i had to mess around with. it was pretty straight forward to set up from scratch and configure a few services on, but i didn't get very in depth with it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

getting gtk running on it involves downloading stuff from a website called bullfreeware (this is the official documented procedure for getting some websphere-related guis working) which was annoying when i had to help someone with it

pram
Jun 10, 2001

RFC2324 posted:

I've always heard AIX is actually pretty easy, smit(ty) does most things for you and actually shows you how to do poo poo manually if you pay attention.

I've never done more than shoulder surf it tho, so grain of salt

my first job was AIX admin and it's kind of easy, but if you cant do it in smitty it becomes a hellish nightmare. it's nothing like linux for starters. for example: if you want to change a system parameter you have to go into this custom database called ODM that literally only exists for AIX config. its basically like the windows registry for unix

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_aix_72/generalprogramming/odm.html

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
at least circa 2010 a shitton of HMR installs were running on AIX because Epic reasons

from a stability standpoint, this was good. from a "we still need to hand-configure the machines from scratch because the only config management system that's sorta available is cfengine, and even that is considered 'too modern' and therefore scary" it was bad

also loving ksh in vi mode by default gently caress that

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cfengine haha oh man I haven’t thought about that hunk of poo poo in years

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

2021 just might be the year of Linux on the desktop

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

2021 just might be the year of Linux on the desktop

checks out, I just asked IT to swap out my lovely MacBook for a decent laptop (thinkpad) running a decent os (Debian)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

checks out, I just asked IT to swap out my lovely MacBook for a decent laptop (thinkpad) running a decent os (Debian)

you need to talk to someone before you inflict more self harm

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Nomnom Cookie posted:

yikes

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Nomnom Cookie posted:

nice one op

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Thinkpads: Good
Debian: Not good.

Use Ubuntu LTS or Fedora

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nomnom Cookie posted:

if you had a functioning IT department they'd tell you to bing it up your rear end

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
incredible self ownage

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Use Ubuntu LTS or Fedora

:yikes:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Use Fedora

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Can someone please explain why Ubuntu is bad? Perhaps point me to a long post setting out the reasons??

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

do you think nbsd will re-reg just for this?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rufus Ping posted:

Can someone please explain why Ubuntu is bad? Perhaps point me to a long post setting out the reasons??
It's not as up to date as centos.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Gentle Autist posted:

you need to talk to someone before you inflict more self harm

it feels good once you get used to it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ubuntu lts is fine, especially since centos is now dead. lol at running fedora on a server

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

where's nbsd where you need him to defend his viewpoints

the only real issue, I think, was that packages in the universal repository will never ever get updates. The six years support for LTS is only for the core packages. This is an issue because apparently a lot of software depends on installed universe packages to work, and the lack of updates creates a serious security issue.

this is just what I heard from his rants. Whether these points are still relevant in 20.04 is for someone else to find out.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah but EPEL is the same poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ubuntu main and universe is functionally the same as having centos with epel. you can still directly use a vendor provided repo (like nginx) if you must ensure you absolutely have the latest, but you should be doing that anyway

if your package isn't in the RHEL/centos repo then you are either relying on a community maintained package or a vendor. it's not magically different

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sounds like this is a laptop not a server

also grats on getting off of apple's bullshit. via the acquiring company's hardware lifecycle policy i was finally able to swap a 2016 touchbar trash mbp with some sort of dell and its been extremely needs suiting

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

dell is dogshit actually

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

sounds like this is a laptop not a server

also grats on getting off of apple's bullshit. via the acquiring company's hardware lifecycle policy i was finally able to swap a 2016 touchbar trash mbp with some sort of dell and its been extremely needs suiting

apple sheeple BTFO by this one lovely hunk of plastic trash running linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

Ubuntu has ZFS and it works great. U until LTS is now better than CentOS because IBM is making CentOS a testing bed for RHEL.