Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Junk posted:

Someone literally ITT said there was a VR game that let you do this and I said it sounded fun and wanted to know what it was called. Did I miss something and now playing games where you shoot people is taboo now?

"like it's some real world training exercise" give me a loving break, you literally sound like one of those 90's moral outrage lunatics all up in arms about Grand Theft Auto brainwashing the kids.

The post you're melting down over literally said "without context, this is slightly worrying". They were making a joke, relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
honestly VR games are a lot closer to being murder simulators than pancake games ever where so yeah it is kinda funny when someone comes in here and asks for a very specific combat scenario then gets all defensive when people make jokes about it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
unrelatedly I heard there's a game where you can stab a guy so far up his rear end in a top hat that the sword comes out his mouth which game was that?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Mr Phillby posted:

unrelatedly I heard there's a game where you can stab a guy so far up his rear end in a top hat that the sword comes out his mouth which game was that?

Until you fall?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When my index comes in I'll be selling my quest to my brother, my younger brother got himself a quest for christmas. What are the options for cooperative multiplayer that isn't against other people? Arizona Sunshine, Payday 2... VRChat?

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

For Co-opy stuff:
Awhile back a goon suggested Elven Assassin. It's not super deep, but still ends up being good hectic fun.
It doesn't list it in the store page for some reason, but Dead Effect 2 VR has online coop stuff (Limited to 3 players). Janky and took some time to acclimate to the controls, but was fun when it clicked for me.
No Man's Sky is fun, but kind of aimless if you don't set your own goals.
Vox Machinae is great for lever pulling and knob twisting. :wink: Has bot support if you want to wreck AI mechs.
ZomDay is a fun zombie wave based shooter. Felt like it ran out of content quickly when I played, but I think it had an update since then.
I've been eyeballing Karnage Cronicles, but haven't had a chance to try the coop.
...Payday 2 VR is also a thing. For a $1, it's worth a shot especially if you are going into it with a group of friends and not relying on AI teammates. I am curious if those that enjoy it are using index and those that have had a subpar experience were on something else. I was using a Rift and G2, but the game seems hard coded to expect an Index. It worked, but the controls were a huge pain.
On the Occulus store, I enjoyed From Other Suns and Dance Central.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

playground tough posted:

Does anyone have a wireless router recommendation for Quest 2 VD? I bought a TPLink 1500ax and I've tested so many configurations only to find that it's wildly unstable. I get random stutters and unpredictable runaway network latency spikes

Is it even possible to get a consistent connection without stutters using VD? :negative:

My friend bought a TP-Link 1500AX originally and it just didn't work well. He went through their support and everything and just gave up on it. He ended up going with the ASUS RT-AX92U and everything worked great after that.

EDIT: For clarification, MU-MIMO just doesn't work right on the 1500AX. Same with the AX20. So if anything else was on that band, you get terrible performance with Virtual Desktop. The RT-AX92U is tri-band with MU-MIMO.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 3, 2021

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
The ASUS router everyone is using is sold out everywhere so I ordered the TP-Link AX21 and will be returning the AX10.

The AX21 is supposed to have a better processor and was the same price since it's on sale right now at amazon. I'll report on how this one performs when I get it

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I have an Asus rt-ac86u that works without a hitch, and that is while the router itself is running a vpn client. So I imagine if that works then the newer, better asus routers that are essentially an upgrade to it are gonna work great, too.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Leal posted:

When my index comes in I'll be selling my quest to my brother, my younger brother got himself a quest for christmas. What are the options for cooperative multiplayer that isn't against other people? Arizona Sunshine, Payday 2... VRChat?

Not sure if the people with Quests have a gaming pc, so some Quest options with cross platform play are:
Racket: NX just added a two player co-op mode
Star Trek: Bridge crew
Spaceteam VR
Echo VR (Private matches)
Synth Riders (not co-op but you can have private games, they've just added mariokart-esque powerups)

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

playground tough posted:

The ASUS router everyone is using is sold out everywhere so I ordered the TP-Link AX21 and will be returning the AX10.

The AX21 is supposed to have a better processor and was the same price since it's on sale right now at amazon. I'll report on how this one performs when I get it

Was gonna say I just got an ax10 to use as a ap point for my quest and does Alyx flawlessly but sounds like you need stuff for multiple headsets

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TP Link appears to be garbage for VD, mine sucks as well and I'm looking into replacing it with an ASUS.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I watched Feather, a nice 3d short which I had from Viveport Infinity.

Some others I liked it:

Gloomy Eyes
Bonfire
Aripi
1st /2nd step
We are Stars
Mind Vr
The Girl and the Crane (although this one is hilariously unoptmized)
The Scream
The Line
The Blu
Eleven Eleven

And some from Oculus:
Allumete
Colosse
Henry
Invasion!
The Bond
The Raven
Wolves in the Wall
And of course the several shorts found in the Quill Theater.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 3, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Good ol' Henry still tugs at the heart strings, I always give it a re-look whenever I get a new headset.

Some of my own recs:
Old Friend is an oldie but a goodie. $5 might seem like a bit much for a music video, but it's a very nicely made one. Helps if you like the music (I did), but it's remarkably good at taking advantage of how VR conveys scale and it's ability to detect gaze.
The Art Theft lets you paint 3d objects that end up being used to tell a short story. Yes. you can draw a dick.
Probably a bit of a stretch to include, but Summer Funland is really just a compilation of amusement ride-themed short form linear storytelling... I guess! The best approximation of a theme park in VR I've played so far, a genre you would think would have greater representation.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Arizona Sunshine is a fun game as well, especially in co-op.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If you have Comcast as your provider in the US the standard x1 router/modem combo works great for Virtual Desktop. It’s a bit expensive though when compared with just owning your own router and modem.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just me speaking up as a poster, not a mod (not even a mod of this forum!) but I just wanted to share that there is a home networking thread incase anyone finds it helpful.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Leal posted:

In addition to what's been said, I love Phasmophobia. There's also a great VR mod for Outer Wilds and a co-op mod. I haven't tried the co-op mod. But if it works, that could be a lot of fun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Professor Wayne posted:

There's also a great VR mod for Outer Wilds and a co-op mod. I haven't tried the co-op mod. But if it works, that could be a lot of fun.

Oh poo poo this sounds great, gonna have to check that out for sure.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

sirtommygunn posted:

The post you're melting down over literally said "without context, this is slightly worrying". They were making a joke, relax.

one of my friends, upon returning from Afghanistan, said "hey if you ever need to breach a building and kill everyone inside, call me because the government just spent a lot of money trying to make me good at that one very specific thing" :rolleyes:

Mr Phillby posted:

honestly VR games are a lot closer to being murder simulators than pancake games ever where so yeah it is kinda funny when someone comes in here and asks for a very specific combat scenario then gets all defensive when people make jokes about it.

Hey, hey, wide brush boy. I only train for defensive purposes

also the answer to the question is Space Pirate Simulator

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I guess it looks like Pavlov is the shooter VR of choice?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Just finished the Pistol Whip campaign, and that was great! The burst fire pistol was a pleasant surprise, and it was good to finally see a proper boss fight. I hope they make more missions like that in the future.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 3, 2021

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

SimonChris posted:

Just finished the Pistol Whip campaign, and that was great! The burst fire pistol was a pleasant surprise, and it was good to finally see a proper boss fight. I hope they make more missions like that in the future.

I enjoyed this too, apart from the mission where I pistol whipped my television

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I haven't tried all the major VR shooters, but I couldn't get into it as someone that's casually playing VR for a month now. I just couldn't get down the buttons to press and hold for different actions. Never got the hang of turning to shoot people and still being accurate by aiming down sights. Saints and Sinners has felt better to me with its slower pace. Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades seems to be well loved too. No multiplayer though and it might get old fast with a lot of the game modes being target practice.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've been playing Contractors for a bit and I do enjoy it even though I'm god awful at it and almost fall down all the time. I can't compare it to any others as this is the only one I've played but it's still on sale for $10 for the next 48 hours if you were interested in trying it and refunding it if you hated it.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Pleasantly surprised by the shooting in Population One. Pretty good!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Do you mean multiplayer VR shooter of choice?

Because I could never get into pavlov or onward. Both seem janky and obtuse to varying degrees that put me off them. I pretty much exclusively played single player shooters like Boneworks until I got Population: One on the Quest (Its also cross-buy with PC or on Steam too). Its really easy to get into, the mechanics all make sense and the movement is really well done (Think Breath of the Wild in VR).

In my opinion, its the shooter to get right now, at least for multiplayer. If you absolutely have to have Counter-Strike, that's where I think Pavlov would rise above it, but outside of that, Pop:1 is my online shooter of choice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really love the hardware side of my Reverb G2, but holy poo poo is the Windows Mixed Reality software horrible. :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Someone mentioned it upthread but what's up with Vox Machinae? It sounds like the VR implementation is great but the MP is essentially dead. Is there anything to do outside of PVP multiplayer or is this just a wait until it comes out if it comes out type game?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thanks, I think I will pass on Pavlov for now as I would be pretty casual and there are a ton of other quality VR options still available. Saints and sinners does look pretty good so I may try that one out.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

explosivo posted:

Someone mentioned it upthread but what's up with Vox Machinae? It sounds like the VR implementation is great but the MP is essentially dead. Is there anything to do outside of PVP multiplayer or is this just a wait until it comes out if it comes out type game?

It has botmatches, but no structured campaign or Armored Core-style missions, and the bots aren't exactly Unreal Tournament. It's a neat game and I want to like it more, but unless you really love basic botmatches, you'll get bored super quickly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

explosivo posted:

This looks really cool, going to add this to my Wish List for if it ever comes out of Early Access.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yep, realistically they will never get the online part of the game going, so I hope they at least the improve the bots.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Pavlov is so much fun. It’s VR counter strike and amazing!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Got No Man's Sky and played some vr with my little bro. I used the techniques only possible through vr to hug him. VR is the future he shot me

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m very impressed that the quest 2 can record your VR session live and not take a performance hit.

i havent tried it in pop:1 (i dont care much for battle royales), but yeah my performance stays smooth while recording beat saber levels and im on a quest1. the only problem is that with some of the videos there seems to be a bit of an audio delay between me doing something and hearing it, maybe like 200ms or so. this could be fixed in a video editor or even in a capable video player like vlc. i havent tried it with other games i play like contractors tho (probably because i rarely get a k:d ratio above 1)

Captain Apollo posted:

Pavlov is so much fun. It’s VR counter strike and amazing!

i was looking forward to pavlov for quest but they decided not to allow for crossplay with PC users last i checked, reasoning being different refresh rates on different headsets, which seems like kinda weak reasoning imo. i know higher refresh rates can possibly give an advantage but you dont see cs:go banning people from matches if they dont have a 144hz monitor. also their quest port (pavlov shack) is still on sidequest, so one needs to homebrew their quest in order to play it. contractors was on sidequest but they finally released on oculus store in december after enough testing on sidequest. i do honestly wonder if the lack of extra visuals on the quest1 port makes it unfairly easier to spot people playing on devices that can render the grass.

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 3, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

sea of losers posted:

i was looking forward to pavlov for quest but they decided not to allow for crossplay with PC users last i checked, reasoning being different refresh rates on different headsets, which seems like kinda weak reasoning imo. i know higher refresh rates can possibly give an advantage but you dont see cs:go banning people from matches if they dont have a 144hz monitor. also their quest port (pavlov shack) is still on sidequest, so one needs to homebrew their quest in order to play it. contractors was on sidequest but they finally released on oculus store in december after enough testing on sidequest. i do honestly wonder if the lack of extra visuals on the quest1 port makes it unfairly easier to spot people playing on devices that can render the grass.

This post is acting like PCVR isn't possible on the quest

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sea of losers posted:

i havent tried it in pop:1 (i dont care much for battle royales), but yeah my performance stays smooth while recording beat saber levels and im on a quest1. the only problem is that with some of the videos there seems to be a bit of an audio delay between me doing something and hearing it, maybe like 200ms or so. this could be fixed in a video editor or even in a capable video player like vlc. i havent tried it with other games i play like contractors tho (probably because i rarely get a k:d ratio above 1)

Irs not just you. There is a noticeable audio delay, but like you said, it could be fixed easily in an editor

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What are good racing games in vr that can be played with a controller? I used to do sim racing and had iracing and a wheel but not anymore. Are any of the forza games compatible? Or the dirt series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Suburban Dad posted:

What are good racing games in vr that can be played with a controller? I used to do sim racing and had iracing and a wheel but not anymore. Are any of the forza games compatible? Or the dirt series?

Dirt Rally 2 is VR compatible but a few minutes of a race made me more nauseous than I've ever been in VR yet so uh maybe watch out for that one.