Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
16 is the soft cap for a server. You won't get randomed onto a server at 16 or above, but you can still join it via friend list.

24 is the hard cap for a server. The game will straight up tell you the server is full once that number are in, and put you in a queue to join once someone else leaves.

If a server that has been online for more than 24 hours remains under 4 players for a while (2-3 hours or so) without fresh blood coming in, it shuts down for a restart and you'll need to move to a different server.

All servers are restarted with weekly maintenance, usually on Tuesdays at 10AM Eastern.

Varance fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Does a server restarting erase the farms and things you've built?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I have never, ever had to use a diluted stim pack in the game. Or even a super stim pack. Whenever I get them I dump them into my vendor for free.

Ive got my camp/museum of toilet paper sitting on a pile of trash that I harvest constantly. Although I havent logged in in like three weeks. I got tired of doing dailies.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

a pale ghost posted:

Does a server restarting erase the farms and things you've built?

C.A.M.P., no, that stays put unless you move it yourself or someone else used the same place for theirs on a server you're joining. If you're spot is taken, you'll be given the option to relocate to a different server.

Workshops that you've claimed go away when you leave a server, even on Fallout 1st servers. If the server is still up, another player can come in and pick up a workshop that has already been set up. A server restart wipes all workshops on that server.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I did discover that artillery shells won't harm another player's CAMP stuff. So its been kind of fun tossing artillery flares into other people's camps from hiding and watching them scramble.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Daily Ops give you a ton of ammo for whatever your equipped weapon is. Every corpse has 4-16 .45 for my Lever Action.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That depends on the ammo though. Some weapons result in random ammo (Mostly melee obviously, but missile launchers and fatmen as well) while others only give half of that. When I pull out the AGL I only see 2-4 40mm rounds per corpse.

a pale ghost posted:

Do you have a link to that mod?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/151

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm trying so very hard to do stuff in this game and I have to uninstall and move on after 20 hours. I was having a fun time, following a build for shotgun/melee in your face combat. Found a place called WestTek, wanted to explore....
(etc)

I can sympathize. I want to enjoy 76, the actual world is one of the best of the 3D Fallouts (or, really, of anything to come out of Bethesda) and it's a rare case of genuinely compelling environmental storytelling pre-Wastelanders, but I just cannot get over all the concessions made to making loads of money off people who already paid for a full AAA-priced game and artificially padding the playtime to get basic supplies to do any of what's compelling. I've set it aside for now.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

What are the best story mods for Fallout 4?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

the best way to enjoy 76 is as a social game, even if you don't play with friends. join casual teams and do events. it's all a big heart emote and lunchbox opening party. everyone helps each other, griefing and combat is super rare. nobody wants to PVP. it is refreshing after playing stuff like The Division and Escape from Tarkov which attracts all the worst people on the planet.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I was surprised how rare PvP actually is. Enough that when I actually was casually killed by someone many levels above me I actually felt betrayed.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Yeah if you look for tips and tricks videos and find early ones from launch you'll find all kinds of "pvp build" videos, which is very misleading because all those people are gone now.

The last bunch of griefing was when people were harassing Fallout 1st owners back when 1st came out. Those griefers are either gone now or don't give a poo poo any more. I certainly don't hear anyone complaining when people put down survival tents during scorched earth.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Roman posted:

Yeah if you look for tips and tricks videos and find early ones from launch you'll find all kinds of "pvp build" videos, which is very misleading because all those people are gone now.

The last bunch of griefing was when people were harassing Fallout 1st owners back when 1st came out. Those griefers are either gone now or don't give a poo poo any more. I certainly don't hear anyone complaining when people put down survival tents during scorched earth.

PVP in this game exists in 3 tiers.

1) Dickwaving contest between Tesla Rifle users. It's all about who can spam the Quantums faster.

2) Morons who got a Legacy off of Ebay, attack you and melt themselves because Legacies are a) not supposed to be used at close range and b) Fireproof 3 is not nearly as effective as it is against normal explosives. These are also the people who will block you and you'll never see them again because you thought that teabagging their corpse was the appropriate response to this. A good way to annoy those Legacy clowns is getting up close and personal. With Pacifist on they WILL kill themselves when they shoot you while nothing happens to you.

3) Friendly PVP after events. Store your poo poo before you do this, especially after Scorched Earth, because the Flux will be deleted when you die too soon after the event.

Avoid 1+2 like the plague. 3 used to happen a lot but it's died down signifcantly. Not sure why. Level means nothing in this game but people still tend to run away when the scary level 740 rocks on. :(

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 4, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are Tesla rifles good? I think the one bloodied weapon I’ve gotten is a Tesla rifle but I assumed it was junk

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
I have a legendary one with Troubleshooter on it that I enjoy shooting at robots. It uses fusion cells which are cheap and plentiful. I think the lightning arc also bounces on to an additional nearby enemy so you get a little extra damage on crowds.

I dunno. YMMV. :shrug:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

Are Tesla rifles good? I think the one bloodied weapon I’ve gotten is a Tesla rifle but I assumed it was junk
my Furious one is good, modded to automatic. Best when chaining to multiple enemies, just make sure you have pacifist mode on. there's also a fun bug sometimes when I run my gauss minigun and tesla where the tesla somehow ends up with 600 rounds in the mag instead of 15

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Roman posted:

my Furious one is good, modded to automatic. Best when chaining to multiple enemies, just make sure you have pacifist mode on. there's also a fun bug sometimes when I run my gauss minigun and tesla where the tesla somehow ends up with 600 rounds in the mag instead of 15

I've had a similar bug happen with The Dragon, which is awesome. I think it's Swift Hands or something, reloads 24 rounds, but the gun shatters like glass before you can fire them all.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

they are pretty good. auto ones are fun. the've been part of the pvp meta forever and still are viable, and for a reason. and they slow down certain parts of servers so it creates enough lag to do good ac130 style fights, or so the area starts to chain.

this is chain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuQA2TmETlI

right now the most slept on pvp weapon is the cryolater. There's no dmage resistance for frost damage, so it slows the poo poo out of people and melts them.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I keep reading (on reddit anyway) about how these legacy weapons melt SBQ's, but I'm fairly certain I was doing Line in the Sand today with a guy with a legacy explosive gatling plasma (the projectiles were bullets not lasers and exploded on ground impacts), and honestly he wasn't really ripping through everything the way I expected. It took 4 of us (2 low levels) a relatively long time to take down a 2 star SB).

Granted he wasn't in PA so that means no stabilizer.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Roman posted:

switch to your minigun as you are reloading your tesla, and then switch back. it can be finicky depending on how laggy the server is.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Starting this game is a bit of a slog, ain't it? Everything seems to be scaling around my level. Is that the case for everything? Only reason I haven't bothered with parties or even trying to figure out how to play with other is because I'm like level 6 with no idea what I'm doing.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Starting this game is a bit of a slog, ain't it? Everything seems to be scaling around my level. Is that the case for everything? Only reason I haven't bothered with parties or even trying to figure out how to play with other is because I'm like level 6 with no idea what I'm doing.
there are some "recommended" level requirements for a few things (the Scorched Earth event is endgame and might not be a good idea, just because of the radiation alone) but everything in the world scales to you so you should be mostly fine playing with random people.

don't get too attached to any gear until you hit 50, although some gear is capped at 45 for some reason (energy guns, the handmade, t-45 power armor, and some others) but is fine to use at 50.

if you get Legendaries (weapons and armor with 1-3 stars and special talents) and outlevel them just junk them at the legendary vending machine outside train stations. this gives you "scrip" which you can use to buy legendaries at a certain vendor later in the game.

Roman fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 5, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

imo the game was a slog until I hit level 20 or 25 and started stomping around in power armor whacking things with a sledge hammer.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Does armor penetration do stuff? I have two different sniper rifles, one with a +armor pentration enchantment and the other with -VATS cost.

And I never perked up fully the damage cards in favor of two ranks of tank killer.

I ask because I am not seeing the difference between having armor penetration and not.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The armor pen legendary by itself is worth ~22% less damage reduction in most cases. If you have the perk that provides some armor pen I believe that one of the two is reduced by half (The perk?). The two combined is something like +37% I believe.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 5, 2021

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Manwithastick posted:

What are the best story mods for Fallout 4?

I'm partial to Tales from the Commonwealth, though I haven't found everything in it.

And because why the gently caress not when it's done everything else, Sim Settlements 2 has not only a character who serves to tutorialize and gradually turn on various functions of the mod, but a rainbow of settlers existing in the world to recruit with quests or just looky-loo on up to your establishment and bring their quests with them. I had a soft-spoken gentleman who wanted a recording of a song and a murder death kill raider who wanted me to do some murder death killing seated side by side in the Sanctuary bar, and let me tell you that was an extremely interesting six-foot walk when I stopped back to resupply whenever their stuff was on the back burner.

Both of those are more side stories than main plotline replacements, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

imo the game was a slog until I hit level 20 or 25 and started stomping around in power armor whacking things with a sledge hammer.

How reliable is the game with fusion cores? I remember FO4 needing a minimal amount of special/perk investment to really make them last and make power armor use more of a permanent option and ideally that's what I'd like from this game since power armors are cool as hell.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How reliable is the game with fusion cores? I remember FO4 needing a minimal amount of special/perk investment to really make them last and make power armor use more of a permanent option and ideally that's what I'd like from this game since power armors are cool as hell.

All three powerplants have machines that make power cores and very rarely does anyone try to take a workshop away from you anymore.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I sell cores for 25 caps because I hate using power armor.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Taerkar posted:

All three powerplants have machines that make power cores and very rarely does anyone try to take a workshop away from you anymore.
Also there are 2 perk cards for cores. One makes power cores last up to 2x longer and another one makes energy ammo (includes cores) weigh up to 90% less. Use the first one when you have like 2 cores and then the other when you have more than you know what to do with.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

After playing my PS4 save up to level 63 and spending basically the whole time in power armor with a bunch of Endurance perks, I just started a PC Fallout 4 Survival Mode save. Are there any huge traps or leveling fuckups I need to know about for Survival mode? IIRC I just hit Level 6 and I'm still loving around north of Drumlin Diner.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I keep reading (on reddit anyway) about how these legacy weapons melt SBQ's, but I'm fairly certain I was doing Line in the Sand today with a guy with a legacy explosive gatling plasma (the projectiles were bullets not lasers and exploded on ground impacts), and honestly he wasn't really ripping through everything the way I expected. It took 4 of us (2 low levels) a relatively long time to take down a 2 star SB).

Granted he wasn't in PA so that means no stabilizer.

I'm guessing they just weren't specced for heavy weapons. Any build can use them but for the one shot mayhem to happen you have to be specced for it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Last night, hit level 300 and got a TSE handmade. Yessssss.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Krakkles posted:

Last night, hit level 300 and got a TSE handmade. Yessssss.

Congrats. Hope you got repair kits. :D

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
So I'm playing FO4 for the first time now and I'm really struck by just how much poo poo's piled up in my inventory, and just how cluttered it is. Do I get it right that you have separate clothing and armour items, and then one slot for every arm and leg, as well as the torso?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Yep. You can wear most Armor in pieces over clothing, however you should know that there are some outfits where armour isn’t allowed. Usually it’s bulkier outfits that you cannot wear armour with, but it’s not entirely consistent.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Okay. That's needlessly complex. Is there a mod out there that simplifies clothing back to fo3/NV levels, or a mod that sets junk items to 0 weight? Crafting seems important in this game, but I don't want to constantly have to mind all the junk for it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Getting a handle of the mechanics and I’m really enjoying Fallout 1. I see why this game is so beloved.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Getting a handle of the mechanics and I’m really enjoying Fallout 1. I see why this game is so beloved.

It really is the best of all the fallouts. The writing is great and shoulders above the other games in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icecream citadel
Nov 4, 2020
The way that the plot advancement interacts with the player exploration and dialog system has always impressed me in Fallout 1. I don't know of many games like that.